The Tragically Hip!!!!

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited May 2016
    Yeah... i had a great track record on ticketmaster until they installed the 2 or 3 extra steps to proove i am nit a "robot". Since that started and trying to find the pictures with store fronts i come up empty.

I wonder if they installed thise steps and the bots are able to bypass, giving them an insurmountable advantage? Ticketmaster puts up there conspicuously in plain view that you cant use robots... but its their policy to choose to enforce it or not. It reminds me of how a headshop posts "not for illegal use" in front of their merchandise. It feels like ticketmaster has made their website intentionally more difficult for average users.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Weird_HenryWeird_Henry Posts: 308
    edited May 2016
    Good God, I hate ticketmaster...what a clusterfuck trying to get a ticket for WPG show. *sigh*
    Hope friday goes better for me and everyone else.
    Post edited by Weird_Henry on
    Note to self: Don't die
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    No luck here in Calgary
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    presales always suck for in-demand shows. general onsale is where it's at. it said "nothing available" at 10am sharp for me in winnipeg. ah well. here's to Friday!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    You guys should keep trying. I often get an amazing ticket after up to 45 minutes of total failure.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited May 2016
    I had a few hits for the Edmonton show...row 40 floor, top of lower bowl on the side ($166 ea), and mid upper level ($86). I'd pay $86 but those seats were crap...and I'm not paying $166. We'll see what happens with the public sale....and will try hitting up some sales guys I know with expense accounts....but I may be sitting this show out after all.....
    Yeah, I finally got through but they were shit seats for way too much money. I think I'm sitting this one out too.
    A friend just got through with floor row 18....but $166......passed
    edited May 2016

I had a few hits for the Edmonton show...row 40 floor, top of lower bowl on the side ($166 ea), and mid upper level ($86). I'd pay $86 but those seats were crap...and I'm not paying $166. We'll see what happens with the public sale....and will try hitting up some sales guys I know with expense accounts....but I may be sitting this show out after all.....

Ditto. I hit on a couple of good seats but let them all go because of the price. No way am I spending $166. What a rip off. I'd rather not go. I hate to say this, but this pricing makes me think that the band is taking advantage of Gord's illness in an effort make money off it. Their tix were definitely not this expensive before. Just last tour I got row 4 on the floor for under $100. Now they are $166?? Brutal.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • kk277412kk277412 Posts: 45
    I have Pitt 2013 poster to trade if anyone has a pair of Hamilton
    kk277412 said:

Whoa. Maybe wait for the public sale first? Perhaps you won't need to give up that amazing poster!
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    PJ_Soul said:

Ditto. I hit on a couple of good seats but let them all go because of the price. No way am I spending $166. What a rip off. I'd rather not go. I hate to say this, but this pricing makes me think that the band is taking advantage of Gord's illness in an effort make money off it. Their tix were definitely not this expensive before. Just last tour I got row 4 on the floor for under $100. Now they are $166?? Brutal.
    I was kinda thinking this too but didnt really want to say anymore than I did on my previous post.
    I love these guys but dare I say Cash Grab?
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

we need to remember that this is likely their last tour. touring is the money maker for any band nowadays. their crew (not to mention the band) is now out of a big payday cycle every year or so.

But yeah, I won't be paying that price. they just added 4 more shows too. Wonder why no shows in Saskatchewan? that's going to make it even tougher for Winnipeg tickets.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

we need to remember that this is likely their last tour. touring is the money maker for any band nowadays. their crew (not to mention the band) is now out of a big payday cycle every year or so.

But yeah, I won't be paying that price. they just added 4 more shows too. Wonder why no shows in Saskatchewan? that's going to make it even tougher for Winnipeg tickets.

It might not be their last tour. Doctors seem to think Gord probably has several years left. Either way, it is tacky at best to raise ticket prices that much because people are reacting to Gord's illness. They know that they would have trouble selling those tickets if he hadn't announced the tumour.
    Yeah, second shows added to Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, and what's the 4th again? That's great.... but I still won't pay those ticket prices. I can't afford to. Maybe I'll get a cheap seat? TBH I have spoiled myself with good tix at shows for so long (mainly by buying singles), I find the rafters hard to take. I am not proud of this, but it's true.
    PJ_Soul said:

kk277412 said:

Whoa. Maybe wait for the public sale first? Perhaps you won't need to give up that amazing poster!
    PJ_Soul said:

kk277412 said:

PJ_Soul said:

kk277412 said:

To me the poster and seeing the hip one last time have the same value. The hip is for me what a lot people are to Pearl jam have to see them
    One last time
    PJ_Soul said:

It might not be their last tour. Doctors seem to think Gord probably has several years left. Either way, it is tacky at best to raise ticket prices that much because people are reacting to Gord's illness. They know that they would have trouble selling those tickets if he hadn't announced the tumour.
    Yeah, second shows added to Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, and what's the 4th again? That's great.... but I still won't pay those ticket prices. I can't afford to. Maybe I'll get a cheap seat? TBH I have spoiled myself with good tix at shows for so long (mainly by buying singles), I find the rafters hard to take. I am not proud of this, but it's true.
    Edmonton.

they are billing it as their farewell tour. if it turns out that it's not, that would be ULTRA tacky.

yes, he could have several years to LIVE, not to perform. but they are already setting him up with a teleprompter for this tour in case he forgets the words to his songs.

I could see them maybe doing a one off show for charity or in Toronto for NYE or something if Gord was up to it. But full scale? Doesn't sound like it.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

kk277412 said:

PJ_Soul said:

kk277412 said:

PJ_Soul said:

kk277412 said:

PJ_Soul said:

kk277412 said:

To me the poster and seeing the hip one last time have the same value. The hip is for me what a lot people are to Pearl jam have to see them
    One last time
    Fair enough, and I relate to how you feel about the Hip, but you could get the tix AND keep the poster if you just wait until the public sale...
    Second show added here so demand will be lower, might get a cheaper ticket closer to the date. I will go that route.

PJ_Soul said:

Edmonton.

they are billing it as their farewell tour. if it turns out that it's not, that would be ULTRA tacky.

yes, he could have several years to LIVE, not to perform. but they are already setting him up with a teleprompter for this tour in case he forgets the words to his songs.

I could see them maybe doing a one off show for charity or in Toronto for NYE or something if Gord was up to it. But full scale? Doesn't sound like it.
    Oh, they're calling it their farewell tour?? I didn't even notice. In that case, then yeah, it will be their last. Still think the tix are distastefully priced, but that is my problem, obviously.
  • weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    i'm in the doors to what could be the last hip show ever.
    kingston. 6th row floor. section 1. thank you presale. thank-you TTH
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    edited May 2016
    RobbyD462 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I was kinda thinking this too but didnt really want to say anymore than I did on my previous post.
    In every market, there's an optimal price for a product, and at that point, supply equals demand (i.e. there are 20,000 people who want to buy tickets at that price, in a venue of 20,000 seats). In the concert industry, thanks to touts, when a show is priced below this dollar value, third-party resellers have the opportunity to restrict supply by buying it up, and resell it for higher, capitalizing on the suboptimal pricing.

To add to this, concerts are experiences with emotional appeal that brings out irrational buying patterns, meaning touts can capitalize even more. Given the emotional appeal of a Tragically Hip tour with Gord Downie fighting cancer, I would bet money that if the price of a ticket was closer to $90, the ratio of scalpers to fans buying tickets would be far higher than it will be with the tickets priced at $166. And then, when you factor in what it would cost fans to re-buy those tickets from scalpers, the average price paid for a ticket would creep close to $166 - most likely, significantly more.

The big difference? At $90 face value per ticket, with most fans spending an average of $166, the band willingly gives away over 40% of their revenue just so that fans (in fact, significantly less of them) are able to spend between $90 and $160 are able to get tickets. A band has no obligation to forgo profit. Bands are businesses, not charitable ventures, much as we'd all like to believe otherwise. So actually, I have no problem with $166 a ticket.

I'd also argue that if Pearl Jam didn't do such a great job of securing such great seats for their fan club, they'd be ripe for a significant ticket price increase too. Even within the fan clubs, each year more and more people complain about losing the ticket lotteries. Know how to increase the ratios of winning the ticket lotteries? Increase the ticket prices: fewer people will apply.

To conclude, I think that the anger related to rising ticket prices is actually best directed at the scalper industry, or the lobbyists of that industry, or the government agents taking handouts to allow that industry to exist, or the concert service providers (i.e. Ticketmaster) talking out of both sides of their mouths: setting up great programs like mandatory Credit Card entry, and then selling those very tickets without that mandatory clause to scalpers - sometimes even before tickets go on sale to the public. With these inequalities in place, I do not blame the bands for wanting to capture the majority of the average ticket prices paid by end customers (i.e. the ones attending the shows).
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    I had two tickets side of stage row like 10 and went to check out and then ticketbastard said the tickets were no longer verified. I will be in Kingston tickets or no tickets!
  • RyanRyan Posts: 1,012
    Hip tickets have been outrageously expensive since 2007. If I recalled the 2007 arena tour was close to $90, 2009 was over $100 (theatres), 2011 was over $100 and 2013 and 2015 were over $125. Those prices are before service charges.

Also, the band has not billed this anywhere as their last tour. That was the media jumping on.
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago

i'm in the doors to what could be the last hip show ever.
    kingston. 6th row floor. section 1. thank you presale. thank-you TTH

WOW. YOU SCORED BIG TIME. GOOD FOR YOU!!!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Ryan said:

Hip tickets have been outrageously expensive since 2007. If I recalled the 2007 arena tour was close to $90, 2009 was over $100 (theatres), 2011 was over $100 and 2013 and 2015 were over $125. Those prices are before service charges.

Also, the band has not billed this anywhere as their last tour. That was the media jumping on.

interesting. you are correct. their message says "so we've decided to do another one" and "we'll try to make this tour the best one yet". it certainly implies this is it, but they haven't actually stated that. Although I thought something was said during their press conference, but again, you could be right.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

got two tickets in the 100 level. slightly behind the stage. $317. JESUS.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

benjs said:

RobbyD462 said:

PJ_Soul said:

In every market, there's an optimal price for a product, and at that point, supply equals demand (i.e. there are 20,000 people who want to buy tickets at that price, in a venue of 20,000 seats). In the concert industry, thanks to touts, when a show is priced below this dollar value, third-party resellers have the opportunity to restrict supply by buying it up, and resell it for higher, capitalizing on the suboptimal pricing.

To add to this, concerts are experiences with emotional appeal that brings out irrational buying patterns, meaning touts can capitalize even more. Given the emotional appeal of a Tragically Hip tour with Gord Downie fighting cancer, I would bet money that if the price of a ticket was closer to $90, the ratio of scalpers to fans buying tickets would be far higher than it will be with the tickets priced at $166. And then, when you factor in what it would cost fans to re-buy those tickets from scalpers, the average price paid for a ticket would creep close to $166 - most likely, significantly more.

The big difference? At $90 face value per ticket, with most fans spending an average of $166, the band willingly gives away over 40% of their revenue just so that fans (in fact, significantly less of them) are able to spend between $90 and $160 are able to get tickets. A band has no obligation to forgo profit. Bands are businesses, not charitable ventures, much as we'd all like to believe otherwise. So actually, I have no problem with $166 a ticket.

I'd also argue that if Pearl Jam didn't do such a great job of securing such great seats for their fan club, they'd be ripe for a significant ticket price increase too. Even within the fan clubs, each year more and more people complain about losing the ticket lotteries. Know how to increase the ratios of winning the ticket lotteries? Increase the ticket prices: fewer people will apply.

To conclude, I think that the anger related to rising ticket prices is actually best directed at the scalper industry, or the lobbyists of that industry, or the government agents taking handouts to allow that industry to exist, or the concert service providers (i.e. Ticketmaster) talking out of both sides of their mouths: setting up great programs like mandatory Credit Card entry, and then selling those very tickets without that mandatory clause to scalpers - sometimes even before tickets go on sale to the public. With these inequalities in place, I do not blame the bands for wanting to capture the majority of the average ticket prices paid by end customers (i.e. the ones attending the shows).
    I agree with most of that but the anger could also be directed towards the people paying stupid amounts for tickets.

I'm not angry though, I can see amazing shows in Calgary on a nightly basis for around $15...and I have trouble justifying paying anything over $60. So I just don't see the big shows much anymore, I've been priced out of the market and I'm OK with that.
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    dignin said:

benjs said:

RobbyD462 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I agree with most of that but the anger could also be directed towards the people paying stupid amounts for tickets.

I'm not angry though, I can see amazing shows in Calgary on a nightly basis for around $15...and I have trouble justifying paying anything over $60. So I just don't see the big shows much anymore, I've been priced out of the market and I'm OK with that.
    That's a good point too - it's the consumers for letting the emotional appeal take over and losing their sense of value, as well as the touts.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    edited May 2016

Ryan said:

interesting. you are correct. their message says "so we've decided to do another one" and "we'll try to make this tour the best one yet". it certainly implies this is it, but they haven't actually stated that. Although I thought something was said during their press conference, but again, you could be right.
    Okay, good. Would be nice if this isn't their last tour. I never heard anyone say it was their last either.

Ryan, I was 4th row floor just last year and it wasn't over $100 after service charges, let alone before.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Second shows added at select cities.
    Victoria not one of them:(
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12