The Tragically Hip!!!!

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    edited May 2016

These guys and Tool rank right at the top of the list for lyrical genius.

I discovered these guys back in university living in Vancouver. Every new album they put out was better than the last until, in my opinion, the peaked with Fully Completely.

The fall off wasn't far though: Day for Night, Trouble at the Henhouse, and Phantom Power are damn good. Not just a light 'damn good'... but a legitimate damn good. Fully Completely is just too freaking awesome to top.

There were some doozies too, but a more recent World Container is awesome.

Day For Night is easily my favorite, Road Apples 2nd, and TITHH is just as good as Fully Completely IMO (love both of those as well to round out top 4), so I don't feel like the drop came until after Trouble in the Hen House. Then there were several albums that didn't grab my attention much. But I really really like Now For Plan A. Not as good as my top 4, but still a good one IMO. Really looking forward to the new album!! I wonder if they'll have another one after this?? Gord hopefully has at least a few years ahead of him... hopefully they will be years that allow him to work and fully function. The worst outcome here would be for him to suffer a long, slow decline. When it comes to brain cancer, you don't want that. It's pretty much the worst way to go.... thank goodness for the new doctor assisted suicide legislation. For me, brain cancer is the very first thing I think about when I consider why I'm glad the legislation is getting worked out.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    he has a few things in his favour; while his cancer is terminal, it is very treatable. and he also had most removed already. so he could have several years ahead of him yet.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

in a little known fact in Hip lore is the fact that they shared a gig with Nirvana before they exploded. Minneapolis I believe. Neither one was billed as the support or main act, so apparently Kurt said "we'll go first" and they did.

NIRVANA OPENED FOR THE TRAGICALLY HIP.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

he has a few things in his favour; while his cancer is terminal, it is very treatable. and he also had most removed already. so he could have several years ahead of him yet.

Yes, fingers crossed. It really could go either way (as controllable as it can potentially be, it is equally unpredictable). Obviously we all hope that it goes the best way possible!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661

http://ajournalofmusicalthings.com/new-rules-everyone-gord-downie-tragically-hip-going-forward/

something I said on Twitter yesterday, also said here by Alan Cross:

Three New Rules for Everyone About Gord Downie and the Tragically Hip Going Forward
    Although we’re still digesting the news about Gord Downie’s health, this special situation calls for some new rules to which everyone–and I mean everyone–must adhere. I humble propose the following.

1. NO EULOGIZING. Gord is still with us. Let’s not talk about him like he’s already passed on. If you find yourself referring to Gord or The Hip in the past tense, STOP IT.

2. STOP ASKING ABOUT THE HIP’S LACK OF AMERICAN SUCCESS. It doesn’t fucking matter that The Hip had limited success in the US. There’s only one reason why things didn’t work out: bad record contracts. It had nothing to do with the band being “too Canadian” or the inadequacy of their music.

3. NO CRYING. I know, this is a hard one. Take a lesson from Gord and the band and live in the moment. Enjoy today because tomorrow…well you know.

Anyone have anything else to add?

Right on. I have to admit I almost broke one of those rules listing to "Grace Too" last night... but I'm not sayin' which one (besides, "almost" only counts in bombs, dancing and horseshoes).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

I don't see how crying excludes someone from living in the moment or enjoying today.
  • Going to leave this here. (Hey Brian - Give it a listen when you are sitting down and can listen to the whole vid)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8Fi46BFAF0
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    live between us is one of the best live albums i've ever heard. That version of Nautical Disaster is the simply amazing and sends chills up my spine every time.

Gord live, going on his rants, far exceeds Ed's in between song discussions.

Both bands are comparable live.

She didnt know.... yeah start with Up to Here if your just starting with this band.

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....

Going to leave this here. (Hey Brian - Give it a listen when you are sitting down and can listen to the whole vid)

Will check it out when I get home. Thanks!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:

Going to leave this here. (Hey Brian - Give it a listen when you are sitting down and can listen to the whole vid)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzZEW8H7KfI

then check this for round 2
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
    loving now for plan a atm....
  • DukeSpiritDukeSpirit Posts: 278
    Nami said:

brianlux said:

I can't even imagine how many times I've listened to this version of the song. I saw them live for the first time on this tour. They were on fire. The crowd was rabid. One of the best shows I've been to.

Nami said:

brianlux said:

I can't even imagine how many times I've listened to this version of the song. I saw them live for the first time on this tour. They were on fire. The crowd was rabid. One of the best shows I've been to.
    this cd was on heavy rotation during my university years and a go to this day... simply brilliant

Yes! This is another great one. This is the second song they played on their SNL/American debut but I can't find a video for that performance other than the one on VHS that I recorded that night.

PJ_Soul said:

I don't see how crying excludes someone from living in the moment or enjoying today.

True. What I said on twitter was just "stop eulogizing the man! He is still very much alive!". The media is painting this as a funeral. Can't imagine how it must make him and his family feel.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    edited May 2016

PJ_Soul said:

True. What I said on twitter was just "stop eulogizing the man! He is still very much alive!". The media is painting this as a funeral. Can't imagine how it must make him and his family feel.

This is kinda why I feel he should have keep it to himself.Its really no ones business except the family's
    They should have toured then call it quits.
    I love this band but I will not be going to this death march.
    Seen them 7 times over the years good memories and great times.
    Why report misery why not say this is our last tour.
    Casual fans will be linning up to see what most have been seeing for years.
    Post edited by RobbyD462 on
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

edited May 2016
    RobbyD462 said:

PJ_Soul said:

This is kinda why I feel he should have keep it to himself.Its really no ones business except the family's
    Maybe he really wanted to share this with his fans because he felt like the support they would provide would help him? I can see how that might be the case. Seems like he is reaching out to his fans by not keeping this to himself. He probably didn't feel like he could keep it to himself, and that this would be the best way to handle it, his own feelings and struggle... I'm sure this is factoring strongly in his art and his performance. I doubt he felt that he could even do his job properly while hiding such a thing, considering how totally open he needs to be doing what he does. Amd perhaps he needed to borrow some strength and courage from Canada. I don't know. But i think it is safe to assume that he did it for a good reason (besides simply getting ahead of the rumours, whihc his manager did say was a factor inbthe announcement).
    I will for sure see them this tour. Might not be his last tour either. Who knows.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430
    Day for Night will probably always be my favourite and made me such a huge fan, but "We are the Same" has become a personal favourite of mine as well. The kind of album you listen to on a Sunday morning while you drink coffee and sit in a sunbeam. It took me a few listens but now I love it. Last recluse is breathtaking, I saw Gord walk into the crowd about 10 rows deep singing that song at the Eric Harvie theatre in Banff. One of my top 5 concert moments of all time.
  • Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430
    RobbyD462 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I hear what you're saying but I don't think it would've stayed private. At some point it would've leaked and then it would be an even bigger story for the press to have a hayday with. Going public allows them to tell the story the way they want it presented to the public and avoids rumours and speculation that turn it into an even worse situation.

• toolietoolie Posts: 388

Day for Night will probably always be my favourite and made me such a huge fan, but "We are the Same" has become a personal favourite of mine as well. The kind of album you listen to on a Sunday morning while you drink coffee and sit in a sunbeam. It took me a few listens but now I love it. Last recluse is breathtaking, I saw Gord walk into the crowd about 10 rows deep singing that song at the Eric Harvie theatre in Banff. One of my top 5 concert moments of all time.

I totally agree, love 'We Are The Same'. Morning Moon is go to startup song for all my kayak trips down the Red Deer River. And what a cool place to see them!
  • Can someone email me the presale code? I'm a fan member, but haven't got the email, can't remember my password to log in, and when I emailed them to get another... no email in return.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,934

Can someone email me the presale code? I'm a fan member, but haven't got the email, can't remember my password to log in, and when I emailed them to get another... no email in return.

Have they gone out yet?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • DukeSpiritDukeSpirit Posts: 278
    benjs said:

Can someone email me the presale code? I'm a fan member, but haven't got the email, can't remember my password to log in, and when I emailed them to get another... no email in return.

Have they gone out yet?
    Not until Sunday night
  • Oh right on!

I thought I had missed out already!

Thanks.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    On sale
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    well that was a disaster
  • zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    edited May 2016
    If anyone has one extra ticket for Kingston, Ontario, let me know please because i'll take it

*Already on stub hub for 800, 1000 & 2500 ... *sigh
    Post edited by zarocat on
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: Noblesville 
  • qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 773
    MayDay10 said:

well that was a disaster

Yep... it sure was a shit show.

• maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    MayDay10 said:

well that was a disaster

It's unfortunate that this is the norm nowadays...absolute clusterfuck...had my sister helping to try and get tickets and she walked away with a whole new appreciation for what PJ does and what we as fans now must go through to get tickets.....its amazing that laws in essence allow legalized scalping on-line by masking it as a service to help out fans due to supply and demand, when the average fan struggles alone to afford today's regular ticket prices north of $100 per ticket plus TM's $80 service fees on top....was lovely seeing all these tickets today meant for "fan club" appear within seconds on stubhub....especially in circumstances given what's going on with the Hip right now, it would have been nice to somehow see something done to allow the fans an opportunity to celebrate them for what may be the last time.... allowing people to join the fanclub up until yesterday for FREE simply made matters worse but that's life...good luck Friday everyone
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto