The Tragically Hip!!!!

Comments

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    dignin said:

Sad news today. One of my favorite bands. Thought they would be around forever.

Gord Downie, Tragically Hip singer, has terminal cancer
    Statement says Canadian singer 'has been fighting hard'

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/gord-downie-cancer-1.3596839

Saw that, sad. Going on tour too, won't get another chance to see 'em!
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    dignin said:

Sad news today. One of my favorite bands. Thought they would be around forever.

Gord Downie, Tragically Hip singer, has terminal cancer
    Statement says Canadian singer 'has been fighting hard'

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/gord-downie-cancer-1.3596839

sad day.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Where do I start with this band? Never listened to them before.
    www.cluthelee.com
    Oh man, love what I'm hearing. I've missed out...
    www.cluthelee.com
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685

Oh man, love what I'm hearing. I've missed out...

Nah, you're just catching up. It's all new to you, and that's a great thing in itself.
    Kind of reminds me of Australia's "Hunters and Collectors". Aussie's have extreme reverence for them, kind of like what I'm gathering how Canadian's see this band.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604

Kind of reminds me of Australia's "Hunters and Collectors". Aussie's have extreme reverence for them, kind of like what I'm gathering how Canadian's see this band.

Yeah, its so regionalized.

They are huge in Canada, Buffalo, and northern New England.

I went to a show in like 2009 in a small theater/room in Philadelphia. It was hilarious. The place was packed, but I didnt meet one person from Philly. Everyone was from Canada, Buffalo, or New England.... and the Flyers were there. Great show though.
  • maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    Feel completely deflated by this news.....the Hip are a defining musical timeline in my life.....my prayers are with Gordie and the boys....if you have never seen them live, take this opportunity to do so...their catalogue is a Canadian treasure and Gordie is a brilliant poet
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2016
    OMG. The Tragically Hip have booked their Vancouver show for the same night when Pearl Jam is most likely playing Pemberton Fest. Seriously, the timing could not possibly be worse here. SMH. WTF do I do?!?!?! I guess Eddie isn't dying of a brain tumour, so I should choose the Hip??? This reminds me of that time when RNDM played Vancouver the same night as Bruce Springsteen... except this is 10 times worse.
    Surprises me that The Hip would book Vancouver during Pemberton Fest. That's not very good planning. A lot of fans are going to be really conflicted.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    PJ_Soul said:

OMG. The Tragically Hip have booked their Vancouver show for the same night when Pearl Jam is most likely playing Pemberton Fest. Seriously, the timing could not possibly be worse here. SMH. WTF do I do?!?!?! I guess Eddie isn't dying of a brain tumour, so I should choose the Hip??? This reminds me of that time when RNDM played Vancouver the same night as Bruce Springsteen... except this is 10 times worse.
    Surprises me that The Hip would book Vancouver during Pemberton Fest. That's not very good planning. A lot of fans are going to be really conflicted.

PJ will be back. Go see The Hip!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited May 2016
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, I guess that's what I have to do, even though it's been 3 years since I saw PJ, and I just saw the Hip last year (and I HOPE PJ will be back... you never know. Maybe they will never play Vancouver again). This really sucks. The Hip shouldn't have booked BC shows during the Pemberton Fest. That was really terrible planning man.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, I guess that's what I have to do, even though it's been 3 years since I saw PJ, and I just saw the Hip last year (and I HOPE PJ will be back... you never know. Maybe they will never play Vancouver again). This really sucks. The Hip shouldn't have booked BC shows during the Pemberton Fest. That was really terrible planning man.
    I'm guessing time was of the essence. he is already going to be very fatigued and is also going to be using a teleprompter for the lyrics just in case. I think they had to book it now or never.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    They start the tour July 22 in Victoria.
    It's the same weekend as Rock the Shores.
    Why not just play Rock the Shores?They played the first one.
    Now people are going to bail on RTS to go to Save On foods.
    Doesnt make sense
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

edited May 2016
    RobbyD462 said:

They start the tour July 22 in Victoria.
    It's the same weekend as Rock the Shores.
    Why not just play Rock the Shores?They played the first one.
    Now people are going to bail on RTS to go to Save On foods.
    Doesnt make sense

Yeah, it blows. It really is going to have a major impact on the events and fans in BC. Whether they were in a hurry to book or not, surely they could have figured something else out, rather than literally booking the worst possible dates.
    NEVER MIND. Drowned Out just informed me that I didn't know when Pemberton Fest is, duuhh.
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Yes it's the following weekend.
    Why not jump onto Pemberton they played there in 2008
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I remember watching SNL the night Dan Aykroyd introduced The Tragically Hip to America and they played "Grace Too". That performance totally blew me away. I still get major chills when I see this magnificent number- easily one of my top 5 favorite SNL performances. Fantastic.

http://music.cbc.ca/#!/blogs/2014/10/Throwback-Thursday-The-Tragically-Hip-on-SNL-1995
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• These guys and Tool rank right at the top of the list for lyrical genius.

I discovered these guys back in university living in Vancouver. Every new album they put out was better than the last until, in my opinion, the peaked with Fully Completely.

The fall off wasn't far though: Day for Night, Trouble at the Henhouse, and Phantom Power are damn good. Not just a light 'damn good'... but a legitimate damn good. Fully Completely is just too freaking awesome to top.

There were some doozies too, but a more recent World Container is awesome.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    In Violet Light is one of my favorites. I don't think it gets enough cred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJZhc3HAwpc
    edited May 2016
    http://ajournalofmusicalthings.com/new-rules-everyone-gord-downie-tragically-hip-going-forward/

something I said on Twitter yesterday, also said here by Alan Cross:

Three New Rules for Everyone About Gord Downie and the Tragically Hip Going Forward
    Although we’re still digesting the news about Gord Downie’s health, this special situation calls for some new rules to which everyone–and I mean everyone–must adhere. I humble propose the following.

1. NO EULOGIZING. Gord is still with us. Let’s not talk about him like he’s already passed on. If you find yourself referring to Gord or The Hip in the past tense, STOP IT.

2. STOP ASKING ABOUT THE HIP’S LACK OF AMERICAN SUCCESS. It doesn’t fucking matter that The Hip had limited success in the US. There’s only one reason why things didn’t work out: bad record contracts. It had nothing to do with the band being “too Canadian” or the inadequacy of their music.

3. NO CRYING. I know, this is a hard one. Take a lesson from Gord and the band and live in the moment. Enjoy today because tomorrow…well you know.

Anyone have anything else to add?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I think Day For Night rips Fully Completely. DFN is my fave. But I also love World Container and In Between Evolution.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I think Day For Night rips Fully Completely. DFN is my fave. But I also love World Container and In Between Evolution.

World Container is a massively underappreciated and disrespected album.

I think it is great.

The last time I saw them... they cranked out So Hard Done By. I love that tune. 50 Mission Cap has to be my favourite song of theirs, but if it has a rival... Nautical Disaster would be it- such unreal lyrics that evoke such powerful imagery.

So... DFN is a respectable contender, Hugh. But I'm not there with you.
  • dignin said:

In Violet Light is one of my favorites. I don't think it gets enough cred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJZhc3HAwpc

Silver Jet

I think Day For Night rips Fully Completely. DFN is my fave. But I also love World Container and In Between Evolution.

I think it is great.

The last time I saw them... they cranked out So Hard Done By. I love that tune. 50 Mission Cap has to be my favourite song of theirs, but if it has a rival... Nautical Disaster would be it- such unreal lyrics that evoke such powerful imagery.

it might be due to So Hard Done By. I get chills with that song every time.

The first time I heard Lonely End of the Rink, I was hooked. When they started with it at the show, I went ballistic.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I think Day For Night rips Fully Completely. DFN is my fave. But I also love World Container and In Between Evolution.

I think it is great.

it might be due to So Hard Done By. I get chills with that song every time.

The first time I heard Lonely End of the Rink, I was hooked. When they started with it at the show, I went ballistic.
    The clever guitar fill in that song just sends it over ther top.

They killed it live and now it's on every Hip playlist I create. It's going through my head right now.