***Petition: PJ, Please Play A Tragically Hip Song In Ottawa***

Comments

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    100 Pacer said:

I must be the only person in this country that can't stand the Hip, never listened to the Hip, and hopes to God this band never covers the Hip...with all due respect.

Completely agree. Good Downie sounds like (and looks like) a cheap Michael Stipe ripoff. The band make derivative crap, and their live performance I saw at Massey Hall a few years back was godawful. I remember the guy constantly wiping his sweaty brow with a rag, then holding it out over the audience, waiting for people to cheer and beg for the rag - which he gave them and grabbed a new one. Gross.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Hawk123 said:

Red Lukin said:

Or play Black and Alive in the 2nd encore

Really? Just going around trolling different threads. What would you prefer in the 2nd encore?
    Come Back
    Habit
    Dissident
    Red Mosquito
    Breath
    Dirty Frank
    Half Full
    Satan's Bed
    Inside Job
    Dead Man
    Blood
    Rats
    Last Exit
    In my Tree
    Save You
    World Wise Suicide
    Life Wasted
    Brother
    Green Disease
    Brain of J

I don't think I'm asking for too much am I?
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited May 2016
    Edit
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    benjs said:

100 Pacer said:

I must be the only person in this country that can't stand the Hip, never listened to the Hip, and hopes to God this band never covers the Hip...with all due respect.

Completely agree. Good Downie sounds like (and looks like) a cheap Michael Stipe ripoff. The band make derivative crap, and their live performance I saw at Massey Hall a few years back was godawful. I remember the guy constantly wiping his sweaty brow with a rag, then holding it out over the audience, waiting for people to cheer and beg for the rag - which he gave them and grabbed a new one. Gross.
    yikes. besides his predictable during-song "improvs" (which these days come off as rehearsed), they put on a fabulous live show.

why would you go see a band you think writes derivative crap?

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929

benjs said:

100 Pacer said:

yikes. besides his predictable during-song "improvs" (which these days come off as rehearsed), they put on a fabulous live show.

why would you go see a band you think writes derivative crap?

Because I'd heard they were great live, and I love live music. Everything's worth giving a shot!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Chris519Chris519 Posts: 150
    I'll bet you're more likely to hear a RUSH breakdown somewhere in the set (sans vocals).
  • NWOntario said:

100 Pacer said:

You monster.
    :rofl:
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2016
    Fucking awesome idea!!! Something rockin', or something like Fiddler's Green or Scared or something. Either/or. Would be amazing.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Last of the Unplucked Gems........
    Blam mind blown!!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    Playing something from the Hip would be worse than Sirens.
    Don't do it PJ.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • PearlJamVSPearlJamVS Eastern Ontario Posts: 62
    100 Pacer said:

Add me to your small list. They lost me after their 3rd album.

Seriously, they should cover Tweeter and the Monkeyman a la Headstones version.
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight,
    I am fuel, you are friends, we got the means to make amends
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side
    I am right by your side.

Ottawa 2011
    London 2013
    Ottawa 2016
    Boston 1 2018
    Boston 2 2018

100 Pacer said:

Add me to your small list. They lost me after their 3rd album.

Seriously, they should cover Tweeter and the Monkeyman a la Headstones version.
    Headstones and PJ don't match up stylistically. I think the Hip are quite similar to PJ in terms of musicality and vocally. I think it would sound really good. Even to hip haters.

but whatever. didn't happen.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    thank goodness
  • Well after yesterday's sombre news, this would've ended up being a great idea.

Well after yesterday's sombre news, this would've ended up being a great idea.

totally.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• bobby dazzlersbobby dazzlers Posts: 1,989
    edited May 2016
    Pemberton
    From the Canadas
    It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe
  • Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    Wonder if they'd be up to covering a song at Pemberton. Or at least mentioning Gordie
    thread edited/updated given new revelations about the status of The Tragically Hip.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    maybe wheat kings. would go well acoustic . very sad news . going to a jeff healy remembrance show tonight . was one of the greatest guitar players. knew him as well.
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    I'd buy this boot for sure.... im finding it hard to comprehend the canadian responses in this thread that are against such an idea. Yeah I get the whole diff strokes for diff folks idea, but surely there has to be one song from their catalog that has hit home throughout your life experiences. Maybe its a generation gap???
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    No generation gap as I'm 40 and no Hip song that has ever done anything than make me want to turn it off. Just never have been able to and still can't do the Hip. The only memory I have of them throughout my life experiences is other people trying to get me to like them. I have tried but no go, my ears just start to bleed right away.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2016
    Most Canadian Gen Xers love the Hip (plus many from other generations) and know how amazing they are. But no band is loved by everyone.
    Lucky for me, I love love love them. And i think a Hip ballad would be amazing for PJ to cover. I agree that Wheat Kings would be particularly perfect. But there are some rockers that PJ could easily pull off too. I think they could really kill several Hip covers.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    PJ_Soul said:

Most Canadian Gen Xers love the Hip (plus many from other generations) and know how amazing they are. But no band is loved by everyone.
    Lucky for me, I love love love them. And i think a Hip ballad would be amazing for PJ to cover. I agree that Wheat Kings would be particularly perfect. But there are some rockers that PJ could easily pull off too. I think they could really kill several Hip covers.

I just started listening to these guys this week and I'm definitely a new fan! They've got a lot of catalog and I'm working my way through it day by day.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • GummiBeerGummiBeer Newfoundland Canada Posts: 189
    I personally don't approve PJ covering the Hip, Both being so different from each other. But saying that, if they were to cover something...Last American Exit would be cool. Pearl jam could put their twist on it and not fuck it up( not that they would anyway), and only true hip fans would even remember the tune anyway
    Calgary 04-09-2005
    Edmonton 05-09-2005

"A Thousand Ports of light For the Newfoundland...Theres a Kinder gentler American Band"...EV 25/09/05
  • FlyingwFlyingw Brantford Posts: 443
    Grace Too would be classic. Perhaps Nautical Disaster. I had hope we would have hear this during the Ottawa - Toronto run. So sad for Gordie, his family, and friends. CDN icons.
    Aug 18/93 Toronto, May 9/06 Toronto, Sept 11/11 Toronto, Sept 15/11 Hamilton,
    July 16/13 London, Oct 12/13 Buffalo, Oct 17/14 Detroit,
    April 8/16, Ft. Lauderdale, April 9/16 Miami, May 8/16 Ottawa, May 10/16 Toronto
    May 11/16 Toronto, Aug 20/16 Wrigley, Aug 22/16 Wrigley, TOTD Nov 5/16 Philly
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    I was making a greatest hits playlist for work today, and took all my favorite songs from the album, and just doing it quickly, there were 27 songs from their first 5 (or 6?) albums I had to have on there. I always thought it was amazing how much they rock in Canada, but how unknown they are everywhere else. They have so many songs. One of the bands that could play for two hours and you'd know every song.

I guess it would of been cool if PJ did a Tragically Hip cover, but they're American. They probably don't know much about the hip.
  • IgotshitIDIgotshitID St.john's Newfoundland Posts: 894
    I support this!! Would love to see it
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
  • Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    Zod said:

I guess it would of been cool if PJ did a Tragically Hip cover, but they're American. They probably don't know much about the hip.

Maybe that's a good thing? They're our secret. But I'd rather share them
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Last good Hip album was Phantom Power which was released in 98! They have barely been relevant since then. I've seen them live a billion times and always enjoyed their shows but they really lost their edge about 15 years ago. A hip cover just wouldn't make sense except for the small canadian contigent on these boards. For the most part they had zero impact on the international stage.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    BS44325 said:

Last good Hip album was Phantom Power which was released in 98! They have barely been relevant since then. I've seen them live a billion times and always enjoyed their shows but they really lost their edge about 15 years ago.

True, but that's how it goes and has been for most rock bands. In the case of The Tragically Hip they put out about 5 or 6 solid albums before we started seeing diminishing returns. That's pretty good. Many big rock bands have careers built on less. They have enough high quality songs to fill a double greatest hits cd, something alot of other rock bands don't. I guess I felt the comment was unfair, because most rock bands hit that wall (assuming they stay together that long).