*** Toronto, ON Fanviews Here 5/12/16 ***

Comments

• nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    Last night was show number 40 and I couldn't ask for a better. I'm glad I didn't have to choose between Toronto 1 and 2 and got to see both. What a treat and a mix of shows. While the basketball delay was tough for us traveling for those that could make it I think it benefitted the shows giving them the extra rest. Two amazing celebrations with different vibes. Last night was just a balls out great pj show with a sick setlist. Quite a lot on there setlist wise for everyone in the house

Before pretty much every show alone is on my very short list of special songs I'd like to hear but I never say it because well, I learn d to not get my hopes up. I was really close in the pit but when I heard the first note of blood I had to run back in the open space so I didn't step on anyone. Inside job was incredible. Green disease I pretty much forgot about before last night, what a treat. Brain of j, garden, breath, last exit I mean the list goes on. Nice to see Donna again rocking She looked way better in the jersey than all the dudes you see ha.

You pretty much always want to see a tour closer when you can and I now know you pretty much want to always see them in Canada. Tonight was a perfect storm with being a tour closer, in Canada, with a day off before. Energy was typically awesome but it just felt like a special rocker, thanks again pj. You could count on one hand the number of legendary rock bands still performing at this level 25 years in. You have exceeded a lot of your heroes in that regard.

'98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
    Oh and that crazy Mary jam, need to hear that again asap!
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited May 2016
    nycrats said:

Also eds story about the cab driver in Miami was pretty surprising
    Usually rock and roll is all "peace and love and let's change the world through positives" but instead he was so angry saying "fuck that guy I hope he dies tomorrow". Granted the guy sounds like a giant asshole but that's a lot of anger going over to the dark side. You could really feel eds seething hatred. Sure, fuck that prejudiced prick but wishing all your enemies dead is pretty harsh.

I was listening on periscope...

I thought what Ed said about the guy dying was fucking disgusting... talk about intolerant... hoping for a person to die just because they are an asshole?

Grow the fuck up Ed, set a better example for your kids
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    MUZIK said:

coming from someone who was at both philly and new york shows

Toronto got the best back to back shows.

Glad you feel that way bud.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    great show ... an accessible setlist ... a great reminder that if, at all possible, you need to see pearl jam live at least once a year ...

band sounded great especially jeff and matt ... drive it boys ...

seemed like someone scoured the boards and played all the requests ... threads for inside job, breath, etc.. plus, even my request for Oceans which wasn't even in its own thread! ...
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    URthekey said:

Next tour I'm definitely hitting Canada shows. Some nice varied setlists going down up there.

or we can start voting for the most liberal/progressive politicians...

you know, so we can get better shows

:)
  • cheney50mccheney50mc Posts: 217
    Is there a pic of the setlist? was anything left out? I don't want to think that this show could actually have been better...
  • phungiphungi Posts: 640

Is there a pic of the setlist? was anything left out? I don't want to think that this show could actually have been better...

Played Oceans in place of Pendulum in Encore #2
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • youngvedderyoungvedder Canada Posts: 102
    over two nights, 65 songs (plus tags) and only 8 dups...pretty amazing! THANK you again PJ
    8/22/98 Barrie; 8/23/98 Detroit
    10/05/00 Toronto; 10/07/00 Detroit
    6/28/03 Toronto
    9/11/05 Kitchener; 9/13/05 Toronto; 9/19/05 Hamilton
    5/09/06 Toronto; 5/10/06 Toronto
    8/12/08 Toronto (Ed - Massey); 8/13/08 Toronto (Ed - Massey)
    8/21/09 Toronto; 10/31/09 Phili
    5/10/10 Buffalo
    9/12/11 Toronto;9/12/11 Toronto; 9/15/11 Hamilton
    10/18/14 Brooklyn
    10/16/15 Detroit
    5/10/16 Toronto; 5/12/16 Toronto
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    phungi said:

Am I ever glad they made that decision!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • abulrabulr Posts: 80
    i wasn't one of the MSG setlist complainers (esp. MSG2)...

but can we all pelase look at this one and at least appreciate/understand *why* they might have complained???

this is the best one of the tour! unreal!
    9/95 N.O. ; 9/96 Randall's 1&2 ; 9/98 Continental ; 9/98 - MSG 1 & 2 ; 5/00 - Wembley ; 8/00 - Jones Beach 1,2&3 ; 7/03 - MSG 1&2 ; 5/06 - Irving Plaza ; 6/06 - Continental 1&2 ; 6/08 - MSG 1&2 ; 6/08 - Beacon ; 10/09 - Spectrum 2&3 ; 05/10 - Prudential ; 05/10 - MSG 1&2; 10/13 - Barclays 1&2 ; 10/14 Memphis ; 9/15 Central Park; 4/16 Philly 2; 5/16 MSG 1&2; 5/16 QC; 8/16 Boston; 8/16 Chicago 1&2; 8/18 Seattle 1&2; 8/18 Boston
  • SputNickSputNick Posts: 101
    abulr said:

but can we all pelase look at this one and at least appreciate/understand *why* they might have complained???

yes
    Binaural > Vs > No Code > Yield = Riot Act > Vitalogy > Pearl Jam > Ten > Lightning Bolt > Backspacer
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    nycrats said:

Usually rock and roll is all "peace and love and let's change the world through positives" but instead he was so angry saying "fuck that guy I hope he dies tomorrow". Granted the guy sounds like a giant asshole but that's a lot of anger going over to the dark side. You could really feel eds seething hatred. Sure, fuck that prejudiced prick but wishing all your enemies dead is pretty harsh.

I was quite surprised at that too.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• wow, what another great night!
    I am so thankful and happy that I could make the trip and be here so far away but all into the best Music ever. The perfect last Show with another great setlist, just perfect for my closing time:
    - got Unthought known, Lightning Bolt, Green desease and so many more of my faves :)

Full of energy, good vibes and completely happy in Music I am ready to take it all with me to ol' Europe. And I totally agree with Ed, Canada/ Toronoto is indeed a wonderful place to be! The people are so nice and tolerant and great... so thank you so much for being also so kind to me and making this trip one of a kind and all so pleasent - right from the start!

and thanks again Pearl Jam
    for just being my Rock' n Roll :)
    there is no way to peace, peace is the way!
    ...the world is come undone, I like to change it everyday but change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    abulr said:

What is so special about this setlist compared to others? I've been to a lot of shows and am a little jaded, but still regret missing shows sometimes and nothing about this setlist jumps out at me where I regret not going (always good to be at a show though).

Shows like Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Lexington, Philly 2, Quebec, Toronto 1 all have outstanding setlists that in my opinion are way more interesting than last night's.

I'm not trying to bash last night's show, but find the short term memory interesting around here.

abulr said:

What is so special about this setlist compared to others? I've been to a lot of shows and am a little jaded, but still regret missing shows sometimes and nothing about this setlist jumps out at me where I regret not going (always good to be at a show though).

Shows like Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Lexington, Philly 2, Quebec, Toronto 1 all have outstanding setlists that in my opinion are way more interesting than last night's.

I'm not trying to bash last night's show, but find the short term memory interesting around here.
    Alone
    Green disease
    Blood
    Inside job
    Brain of j
    Garden
    I am mine
    Present tense
    Breath
    Oceans
    Crazy Mary
    Last exit

That's a dozen (great) non regulars and you get cropduster too. Rare but not my personal favorite but I really liked hearing it as it brings me back to the era of listening to that album

Just felt like the show itself had good setlist flow to work in lesser played songs and energetic takes on the hits. Was a good vibe and a nice complement to Tuesday night. If you did both these shows you were psyched.

• MelgmorMelgmor Canada Posts: 22
    What a show! I was on the rail on Mike's side and it was an absolute dream. What a showman! Crazy Mary was super special. First time I've heard it live. Long live PJ!
  • cheney50mccheney50mc Posts: 217
    phungi said:

Oh perfect. I'll take that any day, thanks!
  • BennyLaRueBennyLaRue Posts: 751
    nycrats said:

I didn't hear him wishing the guy dead. He said, hey, this guy was pretty overweight, he's probably going to die sooner than he should and take all that prejudice with him and Eddie was glad for it. It's still harsh anyway but since when has Eddie been tolerant of intolerance?
  • Gotta say the guys are really on fire on this tour u lucky buggers, some really amazing setlists. really hoping for euro tour next year.
    shows: Shepherds Bush 110809
    Hyde Park 250610
    Bridge School Benefit 23/241010
    Manchester MEN 210612
    Amsterdam Ziggodome 270612
    Berlin '02' 040712
  • BennyLaRueBennyLaRue Posts: 751
    The no photos, audio or video recording rule - was that standard this tour? I only saw the one show.
  • euchrideuchrid Posts: 840
    Great show..though my attempts at a Leash request here failed :) Good vibe side stage with some celeb fan action from Geddy, Chelios & Domi and the trio in front of me with a Boooooom sign got a signed setlist from the man himself. (album here if interested: https://flic.kr/s/aHskwtuRgV)

• kid canadakid canada Toronto Posts: 440
    I grew up playing competitive baseball with Geddy Lee's son (roughly ages 8-13). I was too young to appreciate that Geddy was famous. We played tournaments all over Ontario most weekends. Geddy was always one of the nicest and most easygoing of all the dads. Would have never known he was famous if you didn't recognize him. When I learned who he was my mind was totally blown.
    '96: Toronto / '00: Toronto, Montreal / '03: Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal, NYC I & II, Hershey / '04: Toledo, Grand Rapids / '05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto / '06: Toronto I & II / '07: Chicago (The Vic), Lolla / '09: Toronto / '11: PJ20 I & II, Montreal, Toronto I & II / '13: London ON, Wrigley, Buffalo, Brooklyn I & II / '16: Toronto I & II, Fenway I & II / '18: London UK I, Wrigley I & II, Fenway I
  • toblerussetoblerusse Posts: 91
    You can sum up what this band is, was, and will be with one word: longevity.

They keep getting better. Their shows and setlist expand with each and every tour/album.

It's nice to know (fingers crossed) that we have many more years to enjoy what they do.

Thanks Mookies
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488

Infuckingtense

Just seeing the setlist doesn't do to show justice. These guys were just ferocious for 3 hours. How they do it, I dunno. It's like they're amazing artists AND athletes.

Which is why setlist critique from afar should always be taken with a grain of salt
  • PeterEDPeterED Posts: 363
    euchrid said:

Great show..though my attempts at a Leash request here failed :) Good vibe side stage with some celeb fan action from Geddy, Chelios & Domi and the trio in front of me with a Boooooom sign got a signed setlist from the man himself. (album here if interested: https://flic.kr/s/aHskwtuRgV)

Some nice pics there - thanks for sharing (what phone are you using?)

Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • nippleholicnippleholic Toronto Posts: 1,083
    Anyone have a sticker from last night (Toronto 2)? Got into the venue late due to crazy slow ticket line and missed out. I've got an extra button from night 1 or a Quebec City sticker to trade.

2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley I, Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: San Diego, Los Angeles (x2), Oakland (x2), Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Fort Worth (x2), Austin (x2)

• MD2194MD2194 Posts: 3
    you bet. I have a night two sticker..dated May 11 of course. missed out on that button.
  • euchrideuchrid Posts: 840
    PeterED said:

euchrid said:

Some nice pics there - thanks for sharing (what phone are you using?)

Thanks. Note 5 ...mostly because of the camera
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    I'm wiped from last night - I got home just before 2 and I'm in the midst of running a massive event wearing a Pearl Jam tour shirt - but a few quick thoughts:

- Such an awesome poster.
    - This was my girlfriend's first show (my 41st) and I think, if I were to draw up a good representation of the Pearl Jam catalogue/live experience, it would've looked a lot like last night. She got "Oceans," which is her favourite Pearl Jam song; plus, we heard "Baba" two weeks after hearing the Who play it in the exact same building.
    - GA really is where it's at, although there was a bit of a strange vibe given the unusually large number of casual fans. kid canada did an expert job of shepherding a couple loud, drunk d-bags away from us and towards each other so they could be d-bag soulmates and talk their way through "Present Tense."
    - That opening five-song salvo's one hell of way to get a three-hour show up and running.
    - "Cropduster" could've been replaced by literally any song in the Pearl Jam catalogue and I would've instantly enjoyed myself more.
    - Monster version of "Present Tense," made even more dramatic because the one single spotlight behind the stage was shining right in our faces.
    - Great version of "Lightning Bolt," too. It could've ended the set.
    - The Oceans/Inside Job/Breath stretch was UNREAL. I was done after that; the rest of the show was a bonus as far as I was concerned.
    - I'm glad I wasn't alone in thinking the cabbie rant was off-base. Good sentiment, terrible execution; plus, as someone pointed out in the main forum, it wrecked "Better Man." It actually really bummed me out yesterday; I think I've put it into a bit better perspective this morning, but for once I wish Ed had shut up and sang.
    - Great version of "Black." The singalong was loud. Also, I know it's been said but Mike's solos in "Black" and "Crazy Mary" were show-stoppers. Also, in case it hasn't been mentioned, Mike went for a walk during the "Ledbetter" outtro and ended up in the middle of GA. It was awesome.
    - Three words: Baba frickin' O'Riley.

Three great shows this week. Looking forward to PJ42.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022