Options

*** Toronto, ON Fanviews Here 5/12/16 ***

Comments

• Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    wow from reading the description of Ed's "rampage" the people that are pissed at it will get pissed at anything. He says that the old, fat, racist, homophobic man will die soon (referring to the entire generation of old, fat, racist, homophobic men) and take their views with them. How could that offend someone unless you are an old, fat, racist, homophobic man?
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9x0e7aKrtQ

he didn't wish anybody dead. He said that guy will die, and he'll take his ideals with him. What do you think that guy would've lived forever had Ed not said that? lol people are touchy as hell.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    edited May 2016
    From what I read, and this is paraphrasing; "that guy might die soon, and that's a good thing". so it wasn't necessarily wishing him dead, but happy about the fact he might die soon. kinda the same.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    nycrats said:

abulr said:

i wasn't one of the MSG setlist complainers (esp. MSG2)...

but can we all pelase look at this one and at least appreciate/understand *why* they might have complained???

this is the best one of the tour! unreal!

What is so special about this setlist compared to others? I've been to a lot of shows and am a little jaded, but still regret missing shows sometimes and nothing about this setlist jumps out at me where I regret not going (always good to be at a show though).

Shows like Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Lexington, Philly 2, Quebec, Toronto 1 all have outstanding setlists that in my opinion are way more interesting than last night's.

I'm not trying to bash last night's show, but find the short term memory interesting around here.
    Alone
    Green disease
    Blood
    Inside job
    Brain of j
    Garden
    I am mine
    Present tense
    Breath
    Oceans
    Crazy Mary
    Last exit

That's a dozen (great) non regulars and you get cropduster too. Rare but not my personal favorite but I really liked hearing it as it brings me back to the era of listening to that album

Just felt like the show itself had good setlist flow to work in lesser played songs and energetic takes on the hits. Was a good vibe and a nice complement to Tuesday night. If you did both these shows you were psyched.

Yeah, but I guess you could say that about a lot of shows though. And several of those songs have been played several times this tour (Blood, Brain of J, Garden, Present Tense, Breath, Oceans, Last Exit).

It all comes down to personal opinion though. I don't really like Green Disease, Inside Job, I am Mine so I'm not going to be thrilled when those are played.
  • Options
    KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    abulr said:

but can we all pelase look at this one and at least appreciate/understand *why* they might have complained???

UH NO, THAT WOULD BE QUEBEC, =)
  • Options

From what I read, and this is paraphrasing; "that guy might die soon, and that's a good thing". so it wasn't necessarily wishing him dead, but happy about the fact he might die soon. kinda the same.

no, I disagree. Wishing a person dead is way different. He is only happy that this guy will die soon and people like him because of their ideas, so if they didn't have those ideas he wouldn't be happy at all they were dying. Because of this, he is not happy that the person is dying, he is happy that the ideas are dying.

that seemed pretty clear to me.
  • Options
    jessebasijessebasi Toronto Posts: 149
    ehbacon said:

no, I disagree. Wishing a person dead is way different. He is only happy that this guy will die soon and people like him because of their ideas, so if they didn't have those ideas he wouldn't be happy at all they were dying. Because of this, he is not happy that the person is dying, he is happy that the ideas are dying.

Agree with you completely.
    2016 - Toronto I (Binaural!), Toronto II
    2020 - Toronto, Hamilton
  • Options
    andrew68andrew68 Toronto Posts: 1,791
    ehbacon said:

that was my interpretation too
    Any new realizations... would have to wait...
    Til he had more time,... more time...
    Time to dream,... to himself... he waves goodbye,
    To himself... I'll see you on the other side...
  • Options
    KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748

abulr said:

What is so special about this setlist compared to others? I've been to a lot of shows and am a little jaded, but still regret missing shows sometimes and nothing about this setlist jumps out at me where I regret not going (always good to be at a show though).

Shows like Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Lexington, Philly 2, Quebec, Toronto 1 all have outstanding setlists that in my opinion are way more interesting than last night's.

I'm not trying to bash last night's show, but find the short term memory interesting around here.
    I completely agree with you. I wasn't there, but, I feel like i have seen/heard this show before. Cropduster, G.D and Brain of J., inside job and Oceans were easily the highlights. Everything else, par for the course....Thats not a bad thing either.
  • Options
    andrew68 said:

ehbacon said:

as I have said, that is also my interpretation. but my interpretation doesn't negate what words came out of his mouth.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348

nycrats said:

abulr said:

Alone
    Green disease
    Blood
    Inside job
    Brain of j
    Garden
    I am mine
    Present tense
    Breath
    Oceans
    Crazy Mary
    Last exit

That's a dozen (great) non regulars and you get cropduster too. Rare but not my personal favorite but I really liked hearing it as it brings me back to the era of listening to that album

Just felt like the show itself had good setlist flow to work in lesser played songs and energetic takes on the hits. Was a good vibe and a nice complement to Tuesday night. If you did both these shows you were psyched.

Yeah, but I guess you could say that about a lot of shows though. And several of those songs have been played several times this tour (Blood, Brain of J, Garden, Present Tense, Breath, Oceans, Last Exit).

It all comes down to personal opinion though. I don't really like Green Disease, Inside Job, I am Mine so I'm not going to be thrilled when those are played.
    Its apparent you weren't there. A pj show is more than a glance at a setlist eventhough this one had some gems. Saying they already played blood once or twice as if it makes it less special is just being a downer. This was my 6th 2016 show and myfirst blood. If I got multiple I'd have been over the moon. These guys are getting old. I'm 15 years younger and can barely rage the 3 minutes, I don't know how many more bloods these guys have left in them to perform. 2016 will be remembered as the tour people complained about oceans and garden. Yikes.
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

andrew68 said:

ehbacon said:

as I have said, that is also my interpretation. but my interpretation doesn't negate what words came out of his mouth.
    it's somewhat semantics but i'd say that hoping someone dies soon is never a good thing to say out loud ... let alone to a concert audience ... let's face it - ed's not the most articulate speaker at the best of times ... maybe he had a bit too much wine ... dunno ... really no excuse ... it was an awful thing to say period ... even if it was meant differently ...
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,781
    nycrats said:

nycrats said:

abulr said:

Alone
    Green disease
    Blood
    Inside job
    Brain of j
    Garden
    I am mine
    Present tense
    Breath
    Oceans
    Crazy Mary
    Last exit

Its apparent you weren't there. A pj show is more than a glance at a setlist eventhough this one had some gems. Saying they already played blood once or twice as if it makes it less special is just being a downer. This was my 6th 2016 show and myfirst blood. If I got multiple I'd have been over the moon. These guys are getting old. I'm 15 years younger and can barely rage the 3 minutes, I don't know how many more bloods these guys have left in them to perform. 2016 will be remembered as the tour people complained about oceans and garden. Yikes.
    2016 tour of complaining lol. Vs , ten, binaural, lost dogs galore, oceans, breath, garden and deep getting regular plays and countless other examples and some are still not happy. Chloe/ Crown again ugghhh. Whatever.

Not for You played once! It's a rarity now!
  • Options
    MB656972MB656972 Philadelphia, PA Posts: 14
    This sounds like one of those magical shows. Can't wait for the bootleg.
    05/28/2006 (Sunday)--Camden, NJ (Tweeter Center)
    06/20/2008 (Friday)--Camden, NJ (Susquehanna Bank Center)
    10/28/2009 (Wednesday)--Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum)
    05/21/2010 (Friday)--New York, NY (Madison Square Garden)
    04/28/2016 (Thursday)--Philadelphia, PA (Wells Fargo Center)
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435

I grew up playing competitive baseball with Geddy Lee's son (roughly ages 8-13). I was too young to appreciate that Geddy was famous. We played tournaments all over Ontario most weekends. Geddy was always one of the nicest and most easygoing of all the dads. Would have never known he was famous if you didn't recognize him. When I learned who he was my mind was totally blown.

That is fucking rad. So cool Geddy is sitting there side stage just taking it easy enjoying the show. I love Rush and believe he is totally down to earth. Glad PJ mentioned them, it would be cool to have them do a Rush tune next time they're in Canada... not Cygnus X-1 but maybe one of the more straight forward tunes like Limelight.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 694
    nycrats said:

Also eds story about the cab driver in Miami was pretty surprising
    Usually rock and roll is all "peace and love and let's change the world through positives" but instead he was so angry saying "fuck that guy I hope he dies tomorrow". Granted the guy sounds like a giant asshole but that's a lot of anger going over to the dark side. You could really feel eds seething hatred. Sure, fuck that prejudiced prick but wishing all your enemies dead is pretty harsh.

It was a little out of character. I think it was the tequila talking
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    ehbacon said:

ehbacon said:

wow from reading the description of Ed's "rampage" the people that are pissed at it will get pissed at anything. He says that the old, fat, racist, homophobic man will die soon (referring to the entire generation of old, fat, racist, homophobic men) and take their views with them. How could that offend someone unless you are an old, fat, racist, homophobic man?

Yes. The way our country is finally progressing, black president, gay marriage, etc is because the old racist homophobic ideas are slowly dying out with the people who hold them. The people have to die anyway... so... if their ideas do too... I mean, I think that's ok. :)
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    CPR7CPR7 Stade de France, July 10, 2016 Posts: 364
    Another incredible night. Completely different from Tuesday but just as special. Lost my mind with Green Disease, Inside Job and Breath. I found it to be a good mix of obscure and mainstream.

Before the show started I was having a beer in the arena wearing the McCready "jump man" shirt that I bought at the pre-party on Tuesday. I see this dude eyeing me up and out of nowhere like a magician he pulls out a sticker with the logo on it in passing and hands it to me. I was floored. If you post on here I just wanted to personally thank you. You are a champ. His partner said that he designed the logo which made it even more special to receive the sticker so again thank you!
  • Options
    BlgardenBlgarden Posts: 22
    arghh...! I hate to be the negative person (and everyone please don't hate me) but I need to vent somewhere. I'm surprised that everyone had a completely different experience than I did. I have been going to PJ concerts since 92 and I think this was the longest concert I've seen them play but also my least favourite show. Because they didn't play shows in Toronto for their last 2 albums (they played on the Backspacer tour but before the album came out so only two songs made the set... and they didn't hit Toronto for Lightning Bolt) I was hoping that they would play more from this material I've never seen them play live.
    I went in the show worried... I couldn't tickets for Night 1 and that set was right up my alley. I love Binaural and would have killed to see it played from start to finish. I was worried that after a Binaural night they would follow up with a Greatest Hits night and that's exactly what they did. They played 7 songs from Ten and only 8 songs from the set were released in this Century. There were highlights like Ocean, Alone and Breath but because most of the show was from pre-'96 it gave everything a nostalgic feel that I just couldn't get into. If they played those songs but worked in newer material the show would have flowed better. If they had just thrown in a song like Sirens or even some songs from the "Pearl Jam" album like Life Wasted I would have enjoyed it more. By the time they started playing "Black" I was like, "please! No more Ten! No more Ten!" and then they followed that up with Alive. I went to both PJ20 Toronto shows and those were far less nostalgic than last night was. A far better mix in those sets.
    I know most disagree with me on this but that was just how the show played for me. So if anyone else out there was bored at the show last night you weren't alone.
  • Options
    NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    I'm not sure it's been mentioned here or in the other Toronto setlist/fanview threads, but the band's giving money to Fort McMurray relief efforts which, as an erstwhile Albertan living in Toronto, touched me pretty deeply. But there was also something about helping kids with (I believe) EB? Is this something new? Ed said they'd helped facilitate a collaboration between an existing research group and Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children. Someone? Bueller?
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options
    TorontonianTorontonian Posts: 535
    For me (seen about 15 shows most in Toronto but others elsewhere):

Best. Show. Ever.

Setlist was relentless.
  • Options
    Oh and see you in Fenway! (something to help the inevitable PJ post concert week depression).
  • Options
    NWOntario said:

I'm not sure it's been mentioned here or in the other Toronto setlist/fanview threads, but the band's giving money to Fort McMurray relief efforts which, as an erstwhile Albertan living in Toronto, touched me pretty deeply. But there was also something about helping kids with (I believe) EB? Is this something new? Ed said they'd helped facilitate a collaboration between an existing research group and Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children. Someone? Bueller?

at St Paul 2014, Ed brought out a doctor from the local hospital that is leading the research into EB and he spoke to the crowd for a good 10-15 minutes. Ed took on this cause as one of his friends' children suffers from EB. And I mean SUFFERS. it is a rare, yet horrible disease.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348

Best. Show. Ever.

Setlist was relentless.

i loved it, i wouldnt say "best show ever" because well they have a lot of those with a really high bar, but i thought that was a really well constructed setlist, great flow, selection and variety..great show.. i hope if going to a show with alone, green disease, garden, blood, oceans, brain of j, crazy mary and a bunch of others is a letdown show like some here have stated, i hope i am lucky enough to be there..
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    Blgarden said:

arghh...! I hate to be the negative person (and everyone please don't hate me) but I need to vent somewhere. I'm surprised that everyone had a completely different experience than I did. I have been going to PJ concerts since 92 and I think this was the longest concert I've seen them play but also my least favourite show. Because they didn't play shows in Toronto for their last 2 albums (they played on the Backspacer tour but before the album came out so only two songs made the set... and they didn't hit Toronto for Lightning Bolt) I was hoping that they would play more from this material I've never seen them play live.
    I went in the show worried... I couldn't tickets for Night 1 and that set was right up my alley. I love Binaural and would have killed to see it played from start to finish. I was worried that after a Binaural night they would follow up with a Greatest Hits night and that's exactly what they did. They played 7 songs from Ten and only 8 songs from the set were released in this Century. There were highlights like Ocean, Alone and Breath but because most of the show was from pre-'96 it gave everything a nostalgic feel that I just couldn't get into. If they played those songs but worked in newer material the show would have flowed better. If they had just thrown in a song like Sirens or even some songs from the "Pearl Jam" album like Life Wasted I would have enjoyed it more. By the time they started playing "Black" I was like, "please! No more Ten! No more Ten!" and then they followed that up with Alive. I went to both PJ20 Toronto shows and those were far less nostalgic than last night was. A far better mix in those sets.
    I know most disagree with me on this but that was just how the show played for me. So if anyone else out there was bored at the show last night you weren't alone.

Ed is known for taking past set lists into consideration. I'm sure it's difficult to do, especially since they have hit Toronto so many times. They played 4 songs from the last two records. I can't say that's a lot, but it's not bad.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    BlgardenBlgarden Posts: 22

Blgarden said:

Ed is known for taking past set lists into consideration. I'm sure it's difficult to do, especially since they have hit Toronto so many times. They played 4 songs from the last two records. I can't say that's a lot, but it's not bad.
    I don't know how much past set lists came into consideration. A lot of the non hits played last night (Crazy Mary - with Boom/Mike solo, Present Tense, Baba...) are songs that have been played a few times in Toronto as well. I can see why some people liked last night... the band seemed to be having lots of fun... but I just couldn't get into it. It felt like a show I've seen already before.
  • Options
    nycrats said:

Best. Show. Ever.

Setlist was relentless.

i loved it, i wouldnt say "best show ever" because well they have a lot of those with a really high bar, but i thought that was a really well constructed setlist, great flow, selection and variety..great show.. i hope if going to a show with alone, green disease, garden, blood, oceans, brain of j, crazy mary and a bunch of others is a letdown show like some here have stated, i hope i am lucky enough to be there..
    For me, it is the best. I understand it is not for everyone. I just rocked out and it didn't slow down for me. I lived every moment of that show and didn't stop singing. I agree with you. If you complain about last nights show, you need to just re-evaluate why you like this band.
  • Options
    WWSWWS Ontario Posts: 457
    Saw Ottawa Toronto 1&2. For me last night's set energy and feel were perfect. I am really proud that Toronto as a city and fanbase represented so well over the last three days including the Rapters game. Going through a bit of withdrawal thinking about Fenway being my next opportunity and it is months away.
    '93 Toronto, '98 Barrie, '00 Toronto, '03 Buffalo, '05 Hamilton, '06 Toronto 1&2 '09 Toronto, '09 Philly #4, '11 Hamilton, '13 London, '13 Wrigley,    '13 Buffalo, '14 Detroit Rock City,'16 Ottawa, '16 Toronto 1&2, '16 Fenway '18 Wrigley 1&2, '20 Baltimore. '22 Hamilton, '24 Wrigley 1&2
  • Options
    WWS said:

Saw Ottawa Toronto 1&2. For me last night's set energy and feel were perfect. I am really proud that Toronto as a city and fanbase represented so well over the last three days including the Rapters game. Going through a bit of withdrawal thinking about Fenway being my next opportunity and it is months away.

+++++++++1
  • Options
    SputNickSputNick Posts: 104
    Blgarden said:

I understand the "no more Ten" feeling...
    It could have been much worse though (see MSG shows with only 7 different songs from this century played; no Binaural songs, no Avocado songs, only 1 from Riot Act).

After MSG the setlists have a much better mix of songs from all albums.
    Binaural > Vs > No Code > Yield = Riot Act > Vitalogy > Ten > Pearl Jam > Dark Matter > Gigaton > Lightning Bolt > Backspacer