Lets discuss "The Casual Fan"

First off, had I been at that show last evening in Toronto, I would have been doing somersaults, being able to hear Binaural live. I LOVE that album!
But how did the casual fan enjoy that show last night? And should we really care? I am guessing the casual fan was kind of lost after the first 10-15 songs. Right? I am going to take a guess and say most casual fans are not BIG fans of the album Binaural. Im guessing that 60% of the people in that building had to think that maybe they just wasted $100, after hearing the first 15 or so songs. Now I understand the next 20 songs had plenty of hits, and the casual fan got most of his favorites, along with some sing-a-longs. But I have a feeling plenty of people who were at that show woke up this morning scratching their heads. What do you think?

Another question. Do you think the band will continue with the "Surprise Albumside" at future shows? How do you think that will go over? How will the casual fan react to Backspacer or Riot Act? How will Avocado go over live, to the casual fan? And again should we care that maybe 60% of the people attending the show, may leave very unhappy?

Also I realize the BAND is having a GREAT TIME playing these albums. And maybe that is all that matters. Personally I think its pretty damned cool they played 10, VS, and Binaural on this tour. But if the trend continues, how will the next few albums go over live?
Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

Comments

• CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,895
    edited May 2016
    Casual fan was fired up with Go opening (maybe they've heard of DTE and MYM, or at least seen the videos), But either way fired up.

Casual fan was then pretty lost for the next 13 songs. A good hour or so of not really knowing what was going on, and for sure wondering, "how much money did I spend on this ticket?

Casual fan was then whipped right back into shape with Corduroy, Once, and RVM. 3 songs they've surely heard a bunch of times and could really get in to.

Casual fan then got 2 really cool covers, and Betterman and Porch. A great encore for casual fan.

And then a 7 song second encore where casual fan has probably heard of most of the songs.

The thing with casual fan (or those who haven't done any research on PJ shows) is that they were not expecting a 3hr, 33 song set. That's just not the norm for most arena rock shows. They probably thought the night was done after encore 1.

So, all in all, I think casual fan had a great night. Yeah, there was an hour or so in the middle where he lost, wondering what was happening. But the band they knew and loved ended up delivering for them. They got to hear a bunch of hits, sing real loud, and enjoy some nice cover songs.

• branscopbranscop Posts: 1,181
    Local DJ in NY discussed Binaural being played...
    said he could understand the band doing Ten, VS, No Code or Yield.... but not Binaural....He called Binaural a "snoozer" for fans....
    Blasphemy!!!!!!
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    casual fan should treat the shows like casual sex.... sometimes good, sometimes bad.
    or so I have heard.
    but then again I fall into the hardcore fan category. the hipster that would've been disappointed with MSG shows.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    edited May 2016
    I would think that the answer is simple to the casual fan and the hard core fans...That portion of the show would NOT be considered EPIC since those songs/albums are simply not as good as the albums you mentioned that have been played. Would the hard core fan think it is cool? Sure. The casual fan would probably be like wtf are these songs?? I don't think any fans should leave unhappy since the rest of the 20 songs should be solid..

Me personally..any album prior to riot act would have been exciting to be apart off..but by no means necessary or do I crave it..if I hear riot act, avocado, backspacer, or LB at wrigley I would be surprised.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861

Casual fan was fired up with Go opening (maybe they've heard of DTE and MYM, or at least seen the videos), But either way fired up.

Casual fan was then pretty lost for the next 13 songs. A good hour or so of not really knowing what was going on, and for sure wondering, "how much money did I spend on this ticket?

Casual fan was then whipped right back into shape with Corduroy, Once, and RVM. 3 songs they've surely heard a bunch of times and could really get in to.

Casual fan then got 2 really cool covers, and Betterman and Porch. A great encore for casual fan.

And then a 7 song second encore where casual fan has probably heard of most of the songs.

The thing with casual fan (or those who haven't done any research on PJ shows) is that they were not expecting a 3hr, 33 song set. That's just not the norm for most arena rock shows. They probably thought the night was done after encore 1.

So, all in all, I think casual fan had a great night. Yeah, there was an hour or so in the middle where he lost, wondering what was happening. But the band they knew and loved ended up delivering for them. They got to hear a bunch of hits, sing real loud, and enjoy some nice cover songs.

I think this about sums it up to a tee. But now if I am not mistaken, I did read earlier on the forums, that all of their albums have gone multi platinum in Canada. However, we are talking about a handful of songs that the casual fan were lost while being played. I will say this much, the casual fan is the worse part about not scoring 10c tickets to the show you are attending, for all reasons already mentioned by speedy. The lack of enthusiasm, the texting, the complaining "why aren't they playing the whole Ten album or Vs. Hopefully we will see the day the do a few 10c exclusive shows or tour, all the more reason to do one. (Hopefully in really intimate locations)
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,352
    The casual fans had the longest piss break, ever.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,870
    You have to keep in mind, this is PJ live.. Ed knows how to work the crowd and draw you in just hypnotize you while watching him sing and do what he does up there. Then you have Mike, pretty obvious what that mad man does up there. Sometimes at shows there's a couple songs I could do with out but I'm still drawn in just by watching them perform live..
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited May 2016
    I don't think the casual fan necessarily dislikes Binaural, they probably just haven't heard it. Problem solved last night!

Edited to add, I love that the band is playing these albums. I just wish they would rehearse it a little bit more first. Some of the songs were pretty sloppy.
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on
  • ambst95ambst95 Posts: 125
    edited May 2016
    Of the albums that have yet to be played in completion, I think most casual fans would be excited about Vitalogy but confused at the same time. The other albums would likely go over poorly with the casual fan. Well not poorly, but as well as last night's show.

I hope that they back off of the complete album shows once they get through them each once. I was at the Ten show in Philly and loved it at the time, but I'd hate to get a repeat of an album show if I travel to see the band and see them outside of my hometown in a year or two. I love the unpredictability of shows with this band and it's getting to the point where these album shows are starting to be expected instead of being a special present we get every once in a blue moon.
    Post edited by ambst95 on
    2003: 4/26 Pittsburgh, PA
    2008: 6/20 Camden, NJ
    2009: 10/28 Philadelphia, PA
    2013: 10/22 Philadelphia, PA; 10/27 Baltimore, MD
    2016: 4/20/ Raleigh, NC; 4/28 Philadelphia, PA; 4/29 Philadelphia, PA; 8/20 Chicago, IL
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I had a casual with me. He was a bit lost... but I explained to him that this was a really big treat and that a few of the songs are extremely rare... while a few others have been put on the backburner like insignificance and grievance. He dug it. Good tunes... then he liked it getting back to familiar territory... looooved comfortably numb
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    lolobugg said:

casual fan should treat the shows like casual sex.... sometimes good, sometimes bad.
    or so I have heard.
    but then again I fall into the hardcore fan category. the hipster that would've been disappointed with MSG shows.

So if the casual fan is like casual sex...
    And you're a hardcore fan, then we should assume you're into... :rofl:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • IgotshitIDIgotshitID St.john's Newfoundland Posts: 894
    I was also wondering how most people there reacted too this. Did people sit or look disinterested? Anyone there notice anything or was there not much difference in reaction. I would have been shitting my pants! Lucky fucks
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    PP193448 said:

lolobugg said:

or so I have heard.

So if the casual fan is like casual sex...
    And you're a hardcore fan, then we should assume you're into... :rofl:
    Pat, you know exactly what I was thinking.... :wink:
    hardcore but I don't like Phish.... so maybe not a hipster after all :lol:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• GB200251GB200251 Posts: 9
    edited May 2016

I was also wondering how most people there reacted too this. Did people sit or look disinterested? Anyone there notice anything or was there not much difference in reaction. I would have been shitting my pants! Lucky fucks

There was some definite disinterest in my section. I didn't score ten club tickets and ended up with ticketmaster tickets in a 300 section.

I would say about half of my row cleared out at around the Thin Air>Insignificance point, probably wondering wtf was happening and why they hadn't played something they recognized yet. Surprisingly a lot of these people who left never came back. At least not that I saw. The rest were sitting for a good portion of it, until they played Corduroy.

In my opinion, the reaction of people around you at a show definitely impacts your enjoyment (think of being in a section where everyone is up standing and fired up vs. being around a section of sitters).

That being said, Binaural is my favourite album and I was in heaven throughout the show. I said this in the Toronto show thread, but to show the amount of confidence and balls to just say "fuck it, we're playing through Binaural tonight" says a lot about this band and represents pretty much everything I love about them. And their ability to just say "fuck it, we're doing it our way" is probably the main reason they have had such longevity to begin with.

I love this move for more than just the fact that I got to experience my favourite album played front to back.
    Post edited by GB200251 on
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    MayDay10 said:

I had a casual with me. He was a bit lost... but I explained to him that this was a really big treat and that a few of the songs are extremely rare... while a few others have been put on the backburner like insignificance and grievance. He dug it. Good tunes... then he liked it getting back to familiar territory... looooved comfortably numb

I was in the same boat. I enjoyed it but could tell he didn't really.
    GB200251 said:

There was some definite disinterest in my section. I didn't score ten club tickets and ended up with ticketmaster tickets in a 300 section.

I would say about half of my row cleared out at around the Thin Air>Insignificance point, probably wondering wtf was happening and why they hadn't played something they recognized yet. Surprisingly a lot of these people who left never came back. At least not that I saw. The rest were sitting for a good portion of it, until they played Corduroy.

In my opinion, the reaction of people around you at a show definitely impacts your enjoyment (think of being in a section where everyone is up standing and fired up vs. being around a section of sitters).

That being said, Binaural is my favourite album and I was in heaven throughout the show. I said this in the Toronto show thread, but to show the amount of confidence and balls to just say "fuck it, we're playing through Binaural tonight" says a lot about this band and represents pretty much everything I love about them. And their ability to do just say "fuck it, we're doing it our way" is probably the main reason they have had such longevity to begin with.
    Bravo. I think this is primarily why most of the die hard fans stick through. Why we travel to see them every chance we get. (weather they come to our hometowns or not)
  • embraceembrace Posts: 849
    Emerging from the shadows of lurkdom here, but have we determined the makeup of casual fan vs other types- super fan, epic fan, tour time fan? (I think we had to categorize ourselves at some point for 10c w/in the last year or so) .
    Completely agree with Attaway77 and that PJ is always worth the ticket price. Thats why I feel comfortable taking people who haven't heard of them or listened since HS. Because of the feel of Binaural you arent going to see a lot of people getting into it, but sure as shit anyone present is feeling it...and if they wake up scratching their heads they should get to the bottom of it for themselves ;)
    I was doing somersaults from home last night. There's something about seeing live an album- its the way you are exposed to the music in the first place- play through, repeat- that order becomes ingrained....
    got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
  • SputNickSputNick Posts: 101
    There are ~11 "hits" repeated in each show in this tour. This is about 1/3 of the show dedicated to the "casual fan". Binaural, Riot Act and Avocado are (or were until Canada) largely ommited from this year's setlists. Also we've got many entirely "casual fan" shows this year with the highlight being the now famous "Mailed In" show or MSG2.
    So to answer the question I think we should not care about the casual fan's feelings for last night.
    After all they got to hear some hits.

Toronto 1 was a celebration for hardcore fans or even casual fans that like Binaural (what is the definition of a casual fan actually?). It's good that hardcore fans get legendary setlists from time to time. I really wish I was there last night.

Regarding Full Album Shows:
    They still haven't played Vitalogy, Riot Act, Backspacer and LB (full Avocado happened 9/19/06 in Torino). I am not sure I would like to be there when they play full Backspacer or Full LB, although I would love Riot Act and would be ok with Vitalogy.
    Maybe instead of playing whole albums it would be better if they have a better mix of ALL albums in every show.
    Binaural > Vs > No Code > Yield = Riot Act > Vitalogy > Pearl Jam > Ten > Lightning Bolt > Backspacer
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,274
    Fuck that I pay good $ I want them to play what I wanna hear when I wanna hear it plus I better get a tambourine or harmonica anything less will be a crap show ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....

Fuck that I pay good $ I want them to play what I wanna hear when I wanna hear it plus I better get a tambourine or harmonica anything less will be a crap show ....

So you are saying a 10c live request show tour only?
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited May 2016
    I think the casual fan was probably impressed on how superbly tight PJ is when playing live.
    You just don't see that anymore - they sound incredible (as we know)
    However I just don't get Gods Dice, to me that is the song where the casual fan would start to lose attention. They should've played Last Kiss instead, it is way better and appeals more to the masses and keeps them engaged.
    Gods Dice I find myself wishing they would sing it faster and get it over with.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,274
    RT287183 said:

So you are saying a 10c live request show tour only?
    Hehe he he just messing with Speedys thread , I could care less what they play anymore ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

But how did the casual fan enjoy that show last night? And should we really care?

no, we shouldn't

i sure dont

• Here is an interesting read and it mentions a casual fan. The three-hour 25th anniversary concert worked for hardcore and casual fans alike
    https://nowtoronto.com/music/concert-reviews/five-things-you-missed-at-pearl-jam/
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    nothing wrong with introducing people to new music... especially when it is great music
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    to put it in perspective, I went to an Eric Clapton show years ago with my dad, (my Dad has always been a fan, but likes the hits, I am more casual) and he played very few, if any, recognizable hits. it was a fucking snoozefest for both of us. So I get why the casual fan would have been bored. But I would have been shitting myself.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Solution = ten club members only show
  • StevieGStevieG Ontario Posts: 850
    I absolutely loved hearing Binaural live. Would also love No Code, Yield, Riot Act and Avocado.

I'd gladly take a pass on the others. As a side note, I would rather eat broken glass than have Backspacer played at a show.
    Barrie, ON - Aug 22, 1998
    London, ON - Sep 12, 2005
    Toronto, ON - Aug 21, 2009
    Toronto, ON- Sep 11 2011
    Hamilton, ON- Sep 15 2011
    London, ON- Jul 16 2013
    Buffalo, NY- Oct 12 2013
  • SputNickSputNick Posts: 101

Solution = ten club members only show

with single 10c tickets.
    Binaural > Vs > No Code > Yield = Riot Act > Vitalogy > Pearl Jam > Ten > Lightning Bolt > Backspacer