Options

*** NEW YORK 2 SETLIST THREAD ***

1222324252628»

Comments

• Options
    JosephKJosephK Posts: 217
    Cheap Trick, Sting, All or None for the 15th time ever, the Man trilogy, Breath and SOLAT back to back, a solid crowd, and people are complaining that PJ was phoning it in? We are quite the whiney bunch.
  • Options
    lazlobluelazloblue Houston Posts: 738
    AMAZING Show!!!
    Lollapalooza 92, Alpine Valley 11, De Luna 12, Wrigley/Pittsburgh/Dallas/OKC 13, Tulsa/Denver 14, Global 15, Wrigley 1/2 16
  • Options

Kabutar said:

Congrats to the girl in the front row who was at her 150th show and wanted to hear breath

How did you know it was her 150th show and that "Breath" was her request? I wouldn't know because I never heard Vedder the entire night.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QJI_x1vV2U
    Thx for posting that. Just got chills thinking how awesome that was for her. I was behind stage so I could see front of pit
  • Options
    goosefuzzgoosefuzz Posts: 40
    JosephK said:

Cheap Trick, Sting, All or None for the 15th time ever, the Man trilogy, Breath and SOLAT back to back, a solid crowd, and people are complaining that PJ was phoning it in? We are quite the whiney bunch.

Agreed! Great show, got drop tickets at 7pm after waiting the whole day in line. Our first gig at MSG. Brilliance.
    Adelaide '03, '06 x2, '09 and EV Solo x2 '11. New York '16 MSG2.
  • Options
    PianoManKDPianoManKD Posts: 125
    Sting is god.
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    sak300zx said:

I know I'm going to get slammed for this, and let me preface this by saying that the band destroyed both nights, but this is just my stupid opinion after going to MSG I and II. I love PJ. We all do. We spend tons of money on tickets, merch, travel etc to see the best band on the planet play. I easily spent $1,500 to see 3 shows this tour.

My opinion is that when PJ plays back to back shows, the repeats should be minimal. I say this with peace and love, peace and love,youtu.be/eAU0l7325w0 because PJ has such an incredible library of music and I want to hear as much as possible.

Off the top of my head, and there may be more or I may be mistaken, but they played Jeremy, DTE, Porch, Evenflow, Once, Alive, Given to fly, Corduroy, Lightning Bolt, MYM and Small Town both nights. It's too much.

I understand the need to please "casual" fans. But in a market like NYC there is more than enough "hardcore" fans to fill MSG for 4 nights, and they shouldn't feel obligated to simply play the crowd pleasing hits.

Okay, I'll take the bait. Check out the setlists of just about any other band the size of PJ (or any size, actually) and you'll find that a vast, VAST majority of them come nowhere close in terms of varying their setlists. In fact, many of them play the same exact songs in the same exact order night after night after night, regardless of where they're playing. I can think of less than a handful of bands I've seen who switch things up considerably (even when playing back to back shows in the same area, which happens often in Los Angeles, where I see most of my shows).

The fact that anyone would complain after a back-to-back run that included 75%+ non-repeats including some fucking treasures (Given to Tears?! Breath?! Surrender?! All or None?!) is frankly ridiculous. I guess it just goes to show how spoiled we've become. As I said yesterday in a different thread, the one thing I've learned from being part of the PJ community is that if you go out of your way to do cool shit and go above and beyond for your fans, all that's going to happen is they're going to expect more and more from you and criticize you any time they feel they haven't been treated specially.

It's kind of sad, because I feel like your complaints probably took away from the positive vibes you could've been experiencing last night if you had just focused on the greatness of what was happening rather than bemoaning the part you were upset with.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    edited May 2016
    I guess it just goes to show how spoiled we've become. As I said yesterday in a different thread, the one thing I've learned from being part of the PJ community is that if you go out of your way to do cool shit and go above and beyond for your fans, all that's going to happen is they're going to expect more and more from you and criticize you any time they feel they haven't been treated specially.

It's kind of sad, because I feel like your complaints probably took away from the positive vibes you could've been experiencing last night if you had just focused on the greatness of what was happening rather than bemoaning the part you were upset with.

Quotes didn't work from walkunafraid.
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • Options
    sak300zxsak300zx Posts: 720
    Lifted said:

sak300zx said:

I know I'm going to get slammed for this, and let me preface this by saying that the band destroyed both nights, but this is just my stupid opinion after going to MSG I and II. I love PJ. We all do. We spend tons of money on tickets, merch, travel etc to see the best band on the planet play. I easily spent $1,500 to see 3 shows this tour.

My opinion is that when PJ plays back to back shows, the repeats should be minimal. I say this with peace and love, peace and love,youtu.be/eAU0l7325w0 because PJ has such an incredible library of music and I want to hear as much as possible.

Off the top of my head, and there may be more or I may be mistaken, but they played Jeremy, DTE, Porch, Evenflow, Once, Alive, Given to fly, Corduroy, Lightning Bolt, MYM and Small Town both nights. It's too much.

I understand the need to please "casual" fans. But in a market like NYC there is more than enough "hardcore" fans to fill MSG for 4 nights, and they shouldn't feel obligated to simply play the crowd pleasing hits.

I'd agree with that. I'll take it a step further and say they could've still played a show tonight that would've appealed to the casual fan and the die hards without ANY repeats. Their catalog is that deep. I know this because i thought about it before seeing tonights set when i saw how chalk full of classics last night was. I mean shit, I wouldnt complain about not hearing daughter for the 20th time, but it wasn't played either night. Blood, glorified g, not for you...plus two albums completely omitted. Must say Im pretty surprised by the repeats.

All that said, Ive gotta give PJ credit. Outside of some jam bands and Wilco, I can't think of another band that switches up sets as much as Pearl Jam, so we should be appreciative of that. It's not easy for a band to have that many songs rehearsed well enough to execute live.

But to your point, to use an example, I will be going to see my morning jacket two nights in a row at red rocks soon, and i can go into that confident that they will repeat a maximum of one song, and they might not even do that. That's just what bands do on a multiple night stand when they have deep catalogs, so im not sure why Pearl Jam played so many repeats for the past two cities. That said, Pearl Jam is still better at mixing up sets than even my morning jacket, so these past two 2-night stands have me scratching my head a bit. Was worth it for ten in philly, but Nyc got the short end of the stick in this case. Still would've loved to been there, but ya know...is what it is. Glad i hit the right show.

sak300zx said:

Okay, I'll take the bait. Check out the setlists of just about any other band the size of PJ (or any size, actually) and you'll find that a vast, VAST majority of them come nowhere close in terms of varying their setlists. In fact, many of them play the same exact songs in the same exact order night after night after night, regardless of where they're playing. I can think of less than a handful of bands I've seen who switch things up considerably (even when playing back to back shows in the same area, which happens often in Los Angeles, where I see most of my shows).

The fact that anyone would complain after a back-to-back run that included 75%+ non-repeats including some fucking treasures (Given to Tears?! Breath?! Surrender?! All or None?!) is frankly ridiculous. I guess it just goes to show how spoiled we've become. As I said yesterday in a different thread, the one thing I've learned from being part of the PJ community is that if you go out of your way to do cool shit and go above and beyond for your fans, all that's going to happen is they're going to expect more and more from you and criticize you any time they feel they haven't been treated specially.

Yes, I am spoiled. I understand the greatness of Pearl Jam, and the tons of music they have. I won't apologize for wanting to hear more of it.
    www.Collectionzz.com
  • Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827
  • Options
    crownofBcrownofB Brooklyn,NY Posts: 24
    edited December 2019
    This show will always be #1 for me. Band dedicated sirens to one of the best guys to walk this earth (and msg many times). Corporal Tom Rorke who passed away wayyy too young. The biggest fan of this band I knew. Will never forget that moment. And of course feeling the garden shake when they opened w corduroy . Neeed another tour asap!!
  • Options
    LCLC North Andover, MA Posts: 259
    I'm biased because this was the only time I've seen the band at MSG...got 10C tix on the floor and made the trip down from MA.  I know Night 1 gets most of the love, but this was such a great show.  If I had to draw up a first encore, it would be what they played this night.
    8-29-00 Mansfield, 6-29-03 Montreal, 7-2-03 Mansfield, 7-3-03 Mansfield, 7-11-03, Mansfield, 9-28-04 Boston, 9-29-04 Boston, 10-8-04 Kissimmee, 9-15-05 Montreal, 9-16-05 Ottawa, 5-12-06 Albany, 5-13-06 Hartford, 5-24-06 Boston, 5-25-06 Boston, 6-28-08, Mansfield, 6-30-08 Mansfield, 5-15-10 Hartford, 5-17-10 Boston, 7-19-13 Chicago, 10-15-13 Worcester, 5-2-16 New York City, 8-5-16 Boston, 8-7-16 Boston
    EV- 2008, 2011 Boston