Options

*** New York, NY Fanviews Here 5/1/16 ***

Comments

• Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,492
    Amazing even though I was in the most boring section in the building.
    Karts said:

First set was good
    Second set average at best
    Third set shit and predictable

Last night would rank near the bottom of my 50+ concerts over the years. They are playing great but PJ for me meant a lot more than musical skill. The passion is gone. They aren't even touring behind albums anymore - and after hearing the last two - that may be a good thing.

The reality is they're just in a different headspace to me these days and I can't fault them for being older and family men now. I still hold on to every lyric with the same intensity as Eddie 10-15 years ago. It means a lot to me and I can't relate to where they are now, dad rockers performing to reminisce about what was, not about what is.

And finally, play Avocado you pussies. I love that fucking album, third for me after Yield and Vs. They were so passionate about it when it came out and it showed on stage. To just ignore it entirely a decade (exactly today) later is criminal.

Ok thanks. Anyway last night was awesome and this band is awesome.
  • Options
    kimdowdellkimdowdell NY Posts: 23

My favorite quote of the night by Ed was to the guy having his 26th birthday.... "shit's about to get real."

That was awesome! Loved Taking It To The Streets! EV was having a good time with that! Loved seeing him laugh a lot...I've watched that clip like 10 times already! Great show, great energy! Everyone here needs to stop being so critical. This band is amazing.....You're at the show...enjoy it!
    1992- Saturday Night Live NY,NY, 2010 MSG 2, 2013 BKLYN 2, LA 1 & 2, NYC 2015
  • Options
    NastyNeilGNastyNeilG Posts: 36
    Let me start by giving a HUGE THANK YOU to the man, THE ROB. I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease this year and having a very hard time getting it under control. Needless to say, the day to day has been, no pun intended, a crap shoot. Going to the show last night, and having GA Pit was both exciting and nervewracking at the same time. I had planned on getting in super early and enjoying the day and hanging with other fans, but I was so Ric FLARED up it just wasn't happening. I reached out to Rob to see if he could grab me a NYC t-shirt and he was able to snag one for me. Really meant a lot to me, so ROB, if you read this, thank you again!
    The show was incredible. I have been to every MSG show and some great ones in Philly, but I definitely thought that the energy and setlist was top notch last night. MSG 1 2010 and Philly Halloween are always going to be measuring sticks for me, but this show left me blown away and so excited that I was able to get in there to see it. Almost didn't go because of severe anxiety because of my illness. Thank you again Rob! Thank you Pearl Jam!
  • Options
    LA98LA98 Posts: 256
    Thank you, 10C, for the great seats and thanks to all the people in section 119, true fans and everyone was having a good time and no one was being stupid. Really makes the show better.

Thank you, PJ, for an awesome night and some firsts for me! RELEASE! Tears in my eyes!!! WISHLIST and CHLOE/CROWN, hearing the opening notes to them was just beyond thrilling to me. I couldn't have asked for better. (Okay, I was hoping for front to back Ten but I'll live!)

Best laugh of the night: Ed noticing a birthday sign (or shirt?): "Got a 26th birthday here. Shit's about to get REAL for you!" Hahaha, ohhh yeah!!!

Hope everyone going tonight has a great time, wish I was going again! Now for more coffee, train got back to Jersey at 2:10, kids had to be at school at 7:30! :):)
  • Options
    Best show I have seen in a long time. Also, pissed I missed out on the owl poster. If anyone knows where to get one, lemme know.
  • Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,087
    Had a lot of fun. Started in section 114 and ended up in 116, some of the best seats in the hosue, one aisle over from where Mike ran up in Alive. Didn't quite touch Philly 2 for me, but I saw some stuff I had been really hoping for (Rats, Off He Goes). Doubt we'll get a full album tonight, but I'd love anything off of Avocado. Nothing in the last two shows.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    RE4790RE4790 Posts: 795
    While I thought last night was played too safe, these shows have been far from a cash grab. Both Philly shows were superior to 2013 (when they were touring an album) and last night was better than either night at Barclays. So, yeah, the setlist was a tad uninspired and the second encore was formulaic, but the band is giving more this tour than they have in a while and IMHO playing their best in a decade. Hopefully Eddie is slapping the nicoderm patches on today instead of firing one up to help his voice for tonight.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,711

AMAZING!!! is all i can think of now! on the train home can't process how awesome this night was. :lol:

Going tonight?
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,668
    Great show last night. Some of you people need to stop dissecting every little thing, it's sad. A cash grab? Seriously? Get a clue.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    nicknyr15 said:

AMAZING!!! is all i can think of now! on the train home can't process how awesome this night was. :lol:

Going tonight?
    4th cup of coffee lol. who's gonna hook me up with good seats tonight?!

oh yeah, had the privilege of meeting jose (arq) and paul (pdalosky) last night. awesome guys!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 885

Great show last night. Some of you people need to stop dissecting every little thing, it's sad. A cash grab? Seriously? Get a clue.

Agreed the cash grab thing is ridiculous but isn't this the thread where we're supposed to post our reviews of the show?
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    These guys, these guys never seem to shock me. Last night was pretty pretty pretty special.
  • Options
    nothinasitseemsnothinasitseems New Jersey Posts: 1,507
    nicknyr15 said:

Going tonight?
    yessir! 416 row 1, literally a section over from where i was last night. how bout you?
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2024: MSG 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
  • Options
    TPATURKTPATURK Posts: 47
    Karts said:

First set was good

Last night would rank near the bottom of my 50+ concerts over the years. They are playing great but PJ for me meant a lot more than musical skill. The passion is gone. They aren't even touring behind albums anymore - and after hearing the last two - that may be a good thing.

The reality is they're just in a different headspace to me these days and I can't fault them for being older and family men now. I still hold on to every lyric with the same intensity as Eddie 10-15 years ago. It means a lot to me and I can't relate to where they are now, dad rockers performing to reminisce about what was, not about what is.

And finally, play Avocado you pussies. I love that fucking album, third for me after Yield and Vs. They were so passionate about it when it came out and it showed on stage. To just ignore it entirely a decade (exactly today) later is criminal.

Unrealistic post - you go up there and do what they do for 3hrs with the amount of songs they have in their portfolio - they cannot please everyone.
    Atlanta, Georgia (August 20, 1992)
    New York, New York (September 10, 1998)
    New York, New York (September 11, 1998)
    West Palm Beach, Florida (September 22, 1998)
    West Palm Beach, Florida (September 23, 1998)
    West Palm Beach, Florida (August 09, 2000)
    Tampa, Florida (August 12, 2000)
    Tampa, Florida (April 13, 2003)
    Seattle, Washington (October 22, 2003)
    Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008)
    Chicago, Illinois (August 23, 2009)
    Chicago, Illinois (August 24, 2009)
    Kansas City, Missouri (May 03, 2010)
    St Louis, Missouri (May 04, 2010)
    Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011)
    Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011)
    Philadelphia, PA (October 21, 2013)
    Charlotte, NC (October 30, 2013)
    Tampa (April 11, 2016)
    Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016)
    Chicago The Vic (8-2-2007)
    Tampa/St.Pete (3-29-1994)

• Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Get_Right said:

Cant believe the naysayers. . Ive seen lots of PJ, and I think last night was the best since Philly 3 2009.

Agreed

Reading some of these comments, I'm glad I don't come around here often or am around fellow members who nitpick. I had a stubhub seat and was next to some dude and his gf and they were so into the show and very cool. You people who complain should be grateful this band is still around and still has all original members and still are good. Look at how much of a joke Van Halen or Aerosmith or Kiss are? You wanna talk predictably go see them. So what if the encore 2 is predictable, enjoy or just don't go. You people sound like the douche on my train ride who said it was average and wasn't as good as Hartford 2012 and he also complained they were too political.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    cblock77cblock77 Posts: 36
    AlaG said:

Agreed the cash grab thing is ridiculous but isn't this the thread where we're supposed to post our reviews of the show?
    It's a ridiculously unfounded statement. They are a business with a lot of employees to support. So, yeah. In a sense they are touring to fund their business. Mike talked about that in an interview during the 2014 fall tour on their Sirius channel.

However, if the tour was a "cash grab" they certainly wouldn't be playing MSG. The rent is so ridiculously high now after the remodel, the band could make considerably more $ anywhere else in the NYC area. And let's not forget they could easily charge $10 or more per ticket and "get away" with it. But they don't. It's cost as low as $69 to stand 10 feet from the band on this tour. What other major arena touring band does that? Let's maintain some perspective.
  • Options

nicknyr15 said:

Going tonight?
    yessir! 416 row 1, literally a section over from where i was last night. how bout you?
    Oh you know we'll be there. Lucky enough to have won GA for tonight although my body might disagree with that statement.
  • Options

Let me start by giving a HUGE THANK YOU to the man, THE ROB. I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease this year and having a very hard time getting it under control. Needless to say, the day to day has been, no pun intended, a crap shoot. Going to the show last night, and having GA Pit was both exciting and nervewracking at the same time. I had planned on getting in super early and enjoying the day and hanging with other fans, but I was so Ric FLARED up it just wasn't happening. I reached out to Rob to see if he could grab me a NYC t-shirt and he was able to snag one for me. Really meant a lot to me, so ROB, if you read this, thank you again!
    The show was incredible. I have been to every MSG show and some great ones in Philly, but I definitely thought that the energy and setlist was top notch last night. MSG 1 2010 and Philly Halloween are always going to be measuring sticks for me, but this show left me blown away and so excited that I was able to get in there to see it. Almost didn't go because of severe anxiety because of my illness. Thank you again Rob! Thank you Pearl Jam!

It's fans like you that make me glad I still stick around with this band. Will be sending positive vibes your way in fighting your illness

• Options
    cblock77 said:

AlaG said:

It's a ridiculously unfounded statement. They are a business with a lot of employees to support. So, yeah. In a sense they are touring to fund their business. Mike talked about that in an interview during the 2014 fall tour on their Sirius channel.

However, if the tour was a "cash grab" they certainly wouldn't be playing MSG. The rent is so ridiculously high now after the remodel, the band could make considerably more $ anywhere else in the NYC area. And let's not forget they could easily charge $10 or more per ticket and "get away" with it. But they don't. It's cost as low as $69 to stand 10 feet from the band on this tour. What other major arena touring band does that? Let's maintain some perspective.
    Seriously!!! Lower sections for U2 at MSG were over $300 FACE VALUE.
  • Options
    whino33whino33 Posts: 12
    Anyone who feels the need to criticize this show, should probably just stop going to PJ concerts and let someone else who will truly enjoy it get the ticket. I was second row, between Eddie and Stone and the energy on the floor was awesome. Also, had a great time from 10:00 - 5:30 on line - met some cool people, had some drinks, talked a bunch of PJ, and had a great day. Then jumped around and sang for three hours while the band performed one of the highest energy first sets I've ever seen. Some of you are either really miserable people, or just so spoiled by the greatness that is PJ.

Albany 4/29/03
    MSG - 6/25/05, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 5/20/10, 5/21/10
    Irving Plaza - 5/5/06
    E.Rutherford - 6/1/06, 6/3/06
    Newark - 5/18/10
    Philly - 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    Chicago - 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    Hartford 5/13/06
    Brooklyn 10/18/13, 10/19/13
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,772
    whino33 said:

Anyone who feels the need to criticize this show, should probably just stop going to PJ concerts and let someone else who will truly enjoy it get the ticket. I was second row, between Eddie and Stone and the energy on the floor was awesome. Also, had a great time from 10:00 - 5:30 on line - met some cool people, had some drinks, talked a bunch of PJ, and had a great day. Then jumped around and sang for three hours while the band performed one of the highest energy first sets I've ever seen. Some of you are either really miserable people, or just so spoiled by the greatness that is PJ.

Truth. I must have been close to you. Great energy in the pit. I didn't stop jumping all night. Except I stood in wonderment and appreciation during mikes black solo.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    so, now that i slept i think i can process that awesome show.

i brought my buddy Rob, who had never seen PJ before... but he's an actual fan; has the albums, knows all the old stuff. unlike my bf who i brought to philly and only knew a few songs off ten, basically. :lol: we were up in 415, row 1. let me tell you, row 1 in the 400's is a crazy fucking seat. i had vertigo all night. felt like i was gonna fall over the glass at any moment and hit everyone below me! i still rocked the hell out. and it was roomier than wells fargo but it just felt steep. dunno how else to explain it.

that first set was FIRE. GO to start off really blew the roof off the joint. the crowd was so energetic even being all the way up. getting release again was incredible. so cool to get i got shit right into in hiding! when i first got in hiding in brooklyn i really didn't appreciate it. SO GLAD to get it again! RATS was awesome! my bf and i have 2 albino jumbo rats, and when Rob saw them he said PJ should play it. we laughed so hard when they did! DTE > why go > lukin > rearview mirror to close it out was amazing! spectacular first set.

my section was sitting down for the first encore, i admit i was too for a few songs. needed a break. :lol: footsteps into chloe/crown was amazing. 4th time i got crown in 8 shows. wow. that's insane. Rob and i could not believe they played takin' it to the streets. that was great! could not stop laughing. whipping > betterman > porch to close it out was great. last encore was as well. i love getting 1 song sang to us. :lol: "i just want to scream, HELLO! my god it's been to long, never dreamed you'd return!" will always be one of my favorite lines to hear live. what a great singalong. mike absolutely KILLED black, holy shit. Rob kept telling me "this is some Hendrix shit!" mike is so damn underrated. can't wait to hear it on the boot! alive > rockin > INDIFFERENCE! is Rob's absolute favorite...i thought they were done after rockin' but when those chords started he lost it! so happy. so so happy.

everyone's going to have an opinion. it's all perspective. i am just so grateful to have discovered this band (in 2013) and fortunate to see as many shows as i have. this was #8 for me. i still think philly 2 was the greatest show i have ever seen, but how lucky am i to be able to say that after seeing multiple shows this amazing tour? so thankful for pearl jam, i really am. :smile:

can't wait to see what tonight has in store! going alone this time. this band just keeps getting better and better! thank you PJ!!!
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

nicknyr15 said:

Going tonight?
    Oh you know we'll be there. Lucky enough to have won GA for tonight although my body might disagree with that statement.
    nice! if you hear of any extras lemme know. :lol: we're in for a treat tonight i believe. have a great time!
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,069

Get_Right said:

Cant believe the naysayers. . Ive seen lots of PJ, and I think last night was the best since Philly 3 2009.

Agreed

Reading some of these comments, I'm glad I don't come around here often or am around fellow members who nitpick. I had a stubhub seat and was next to some dude and his gf and they were so into the show and very cool. You people who complain should be grateful this band is still around and still has all original members and still are good. Look at how much of a joke Van Halen or Aerosmith or Kiss are? You wanna talk predictably go see them. So what if the encore 2 is predictable, enjoy or just don't go. You people sound like the douche on my train ride who said it was average and wasn't as good as Hartford 2012 and he also complained they were too political.
    Good post. Believe it or not, there are people there who like to hear the more well-known songs with the other stuff they play.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    That was awesome. PJ at the garden definitely lived up to the hype. Can't wait to do it again tonight.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    whino33 said:

+1
    Post edited by Gary Carter on

• Options
    KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    Who I Am said:

KP_McMinn said:

Karts said:

First set was good

good post. Its unfortunately accurate.

Sorry you missed Philly 2.....you two pussies...LOL!
    uh we were specifically talking about MSG 1, you pussy. In what part of that conversation did you ever read anything about Philly 2? BTW, i was at both philly shows...night and day, evenbro.
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    The first set had my attention..the rest seemed like a typical fantastic pj show..I watched it and I'm sure the experience there was great..no reason to think tonight won't be special in some way.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479

Get_Right said:

Agreed

News flash
    There is a very good chance that encore 2 will include alive, black RITFW, indifference and yellow ledbetter. Tonight and every night. I am guessing maybe baba tonight.
  • Options
    KartsKarts Posts: 115
    bturkel said:

Karts said:

First set was good

Unrealistic post - you go up there and do what they do for 3hrs with the amount of songs they have in their portfolio - they cannot please everyone.
    Why is it unrealistic, I didn't ask them to do or change anything (except more Avocado) - basically concluded that it is what it is. I had fun in the same way I enjoy going for after work happy hour drinks. PJ live is not the religious church-like experience for me it once was. These days Eddie sings for the crowd and to please a lot of people, and he does an incredible job. He used to sing for himself, to himself and by himself, and didn't give a shit and damn the intensity showed.

I'm sure once I get a wife and kids I'll relate to where they are today and see a PJ concert as an awesome night out with the babysitter home. That's just not where I am now and having seen them during the Riot Act and Avocado tours, you can feel a massive difference. I'm not dad-rock generation yet.

I'll say this: Jeff gets it. He hasn't changed at all.