Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659

F. Me.

Just an FYI - Jazz Fest is nothing but lines and lines and lines and lines of people. I don't think I've ever been around that many people - I'm going out on a limb and am going to say there was at least 100-120k people. But go at least once, pretty fucking sweet.....when not covered in people.

Awwwww, shit. Can't wait to hear about this mess. You're alive, I see?
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

F. Me.

Just an FYI - Jazz Fest is nothing but lines and lines and lines and lines of people. I don't think I've ever been around that many people - I'm going out on a limb and am going to say there was at least 100-120k people. But go at least once, pretty fucking sweet.....when not covered in people.

yeah, I don't think I would like a festival like that.

New Orleans is great though. Hopefully you hit the GoldMine bar late night. Lots of talent usually there
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,831
    Was in a lot of places, so I may have well been - tried to stay off Bourbon, though. I guess age is getting to me. The smell of hot garbage and BAM BAM BAM WHOOOAAA PARTY FUUUUCCKKK in my face non-stop was a little too much.

Best part of Jazz Fest was probably the feel of the neighborhood it was in, the food was legit at the concessions, and the Gospel Tent. Those Jesus freaks sure know how to get down. Biggest problem was the dumb lineup schedule - didn't get to see Nathaniel Rateliff or Van Morrison because I didn't feel like dealing with the herding from one end up of the fairgrounds to the other.

Someone posted a pic in the setlist thread, and goddamn that's a lot of people -

And I'm pretty sure I ate half of the city.
  • Options
    God damn, yeah, that's a lot of people. Awesome city. The food is so great.
  • Options
    GoldMine is off bourbon. place is crazy after midnight.

New Orleans in general is a crazy place. Was there a few weeks ago for a work conference. During the conference they put out lemonade at lunch time. No one told anyone that it had vodka in it. By mid-afternoon people were loopy.

The food is amazing, but yeah, the smell is not. Was down there for an eagles game right after katrina -- the smell now is nothing like what is was back then.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802

F. Me.

Yes?

:lol:

Glad you had fun. I love N'awlins and Louiana in general. Have gone at least 1x per year and many years 2-3 times since college as one of my best friends lives down there and has fishing camps for lots of good times.

Fixer -- GoldMine -- nice find! That is one of the spots my buddy would take us to get away from the tourists.

Good on Empty to try and find spots for us from Philly guys in the know. I think the level of unruly behavior is going to be high. (Toward each other, not toward the general public.) Adding Canadians to the mix just kicks it up a few notches. Wait 'till they get a load of Philly!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Damn you guys. Talked my ticket buddy into golf. Then I went to Broad Run site....place looks very nice.

I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    Dude you can golf any time, come hang out -- or just golf very early in day on Thursday.
  • Options

Dude you can golf any time, come hang out -- or just golf very early in day on Thursday.

Golf will be early. My arrival time isn't changing
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options

F. Me.

Yes?

Glad you had fun. I love N'awlins and Louiana in general. Have gone at least 1x per year and many years 2-3 times since college as one of my best friends lives down there and has fishing camps for lots of good times.

Fixer -- GoldMine -- nice find! That is one of the spots my buddy would take us to get away from the tourists.

Good on Empty to try and find spots for us from Philly guys in the know. I think the level of unruly behavior is going to be high. (Toward each other, not toward the general public.) Adding Canadians to the mix just kicks it up a few notches. Wait 'till they get a load of Philly!
    Right on. It's a good town to get rowdy in.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,485

You playing Broad Run? I think we tee off at 10
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Please let them be teeing off at 9:45, right in front on you!
  • Options

F. Me.

Yes?

Yes, it is. I don't party in Philly too often -- or when I do I am old so I hit it large at dinner and go to one spot after most times....so this feedback is great. This crowd is not going to want to go to The Franklin/A.Bar/Twenty Manning or the places I go with my wife. (Those places would not have us.) A good divey sorta bar is needed.
  • Options

Got the 10:12. I'm hitting into Juggy all day long :lol:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    Anyway to get on Broad Run cheaper than $59?
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options

Dude that is hilarious. Just a little warning though, one of the guys I am playing with is a human rain delay. One of the slowest golfers you've ever seen. So you're probably gonna wanna play through after just a few holes. haha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Dude that is hilarious. Just a little warning though, one of the guys I am playing with is a human rain delay. One of the slowest golfers you've ever seen. So you're probably gonna wanna play through after just a few holes. haha
    Please note: we don't know where we're playing yet
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options

F. Me.

Yes?

Yes, it is. I don't party in Philly too often -- or when I do I am old so I hit it large at dinner and go to one spot after most times....so this feedback is great. This crowd is not going to want to go to The Franklin/A.Bar/Twenty Manning or the places I go with my wife. (Those places would not have us.) A good divey sorta bar is needed.
    Nice, all good spots you listed, but definitely not appropriate for the occasion.

Pretty pumped for these shows.

• Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258

Ms. Haiku said:

Philadelphia residents - do you use public transportation? Any suggestions for getting around Philadelphia during the day?

Any knitters - favorite shop in Philadelphia?

You would think asking a sports thread for their favorite knitting shop would be unreliable, but think not! The Lady is a huge knitter. I know she used to be a fan of Loop between 19th & 20th on South Street. And some other place on South further down around 8th called Nangelini but I think they closed.

We now live down by East Passyunk, and there's a bunch of small stores between, like, Mifflin and Tasker on Passyunk that have that stuff as well.

I know too much about yarn.
    I remembered this post. I'm so excited to look at knitting shops in Philly!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Love to help the out-of-towners - also plenty of Italian joints in that area, too.
  • Options

Duly noted
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Rogues Gallery is also a solid spot, tho

A human rain delay..Hahhaha. I can't fucking stand it. Unless you shoot under 85, hit the fucking ball.
  • Options
    Can't make Broad Run happen. Hitting a course in Denver, PA. Def going to make a West Chester trip this summer though and play it
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options

Rogues Gallery is also a solid spot, tho

A human rain delay..Hahhaha. I can't fucking stand it. Unless you shoot under 85, hit the fucking ball.
    Add about 40 to 85 and you'd be about accurate. He just stands over the ball for at least 30 seconds before starting his swing. Doesn't sound like much but it's like 6-8 times a hole for 18 holes. Not sure I've ever played a round under 5 hours with him. Brutal.....though he said he's gonna play best ball on the back 9 to speed things up on Friday.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Can't make Broad Run happen. Hitting a course in Denver, PA. Def going to make a West Chester trip this summer though and play it

Where in Sam's hell is Denver, PA?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2016

once you go north of villanova it doesn't matter. The rest of PA is all the same. (yes, I've been to denver, pa many times for work)

Just remember PA residents -- keep right, pass left. Ain't hard
  • Options
    The Fixer said:

once you go north of villanova it doesn't matter. The rest of PA is all the same.
    No, Pittsburgh blows...the rest is nice

I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    Ken Giles and Papelbon: 11 ER in 17 IP, 7-for-8 saves Jeanmar Gomez: 3 ER in 12 IP, 5-for-5 saves
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Christ, shows start tomorrow? This is all a little too much quite frankly.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,669
    "human rain delay" :lol:

I work at a course....those fuckers drive me crazy when I'm trying to get shit done. Hope to meet you philly guys....I may or may not be in Giants gear.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16