Options

THIS IS BULLS**T

13»

Comments

• Options
    schappschapp Posts: 160
    Vedd Hedd said:

My suggestion...if you have unrefundable tickets, see if you can transfer them to another state. If not, go on your vacation and enjoy your pto, knowing that you dont have to worry about some of the same problems that trans people have to deal with. And maybe join the fight.

So, you are suggesting that it is right cancelling two days in advance, yet calling people to enjoy a vacation and spend their money and time in the very state that should be boycotted? I thought boycotts worked the other way around.

I'm not attending the show, but the band forgets that plenty of fans (unlike with most bands) travel all around following them on tour and many cannot change plans now. For me, a two-day notice is unacceptable, specially considering this issue is not new.

I support their stand, but not the short-notice.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,532
    I'm saying, try to change your plans to another state. If you cant, so be it. Just enjoy the freedom you have that some dont.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,532
    And i dont think the band forgets that people travel. Or live in the south.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,588
    edited April 2016
    kramer73 said:

Glad everyone understands what this is about.

And why does a concert need to be about that? Was there something in the ticket contract I bought that said subject to political whims of the band? I don't think so. Pearl Jam asked to play in NC. Play the damn show. Pearl Jam needs to suck it up and play even if a politician passes a bill they don't like. I would think the the political risk of the concert is borne by the band and not its fans.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,618
    When do we get a statement from the band on why it was fine to play 4 shows in Florida, a state with plenty of anti-lgbt laws?
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    athenssmileathenssmile Posts: 147

kramer73 said:

And why does a concert need to be about that? Was there something in the ticket contract I bought that said subject to political whims of the band? I don't think so. Pearl Jam asked to play in NC. Play the damn show. Pearl Jam needs to suck it up and play even if a politician passes a bill they don't like. I would think the the political risk of the concert is borne by the band and not its fans.
    Exactly. They committed to play this show. They sold their fans tickets to see them play here. The fans had nothing to do with this law. Bring the fans together here for the show and educate them on how best to change this law during the show. Honor the commitment you made to your fans, which was to play this show. If this law is not repealed, then don't schedule another show in NC in the future. That is how you do it without losing the respect of your fans, to show respect to your fans, and to get an army together to combat this injustice.
    well, fuckers, he still stands
  • Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675

kramer73 said:

Exactly. They committed to play this show. They sold their fans tickets to see them play here. The fans had nothing to do with this law. Bring the fans together here for the show and educate them on how best to change this law during the show. Honor the commitment you made to your fans, which was to play this show. If this law is not repealed, then don't schedule another show in NC in the future. That is how you do it without losing the respect of your fans, to show respect to your fans, and to get an army together to combat this injustice.
    Agreed agreed agreed.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871
    Looks like Texas is fucked too then for any future PJ shows. How can they justify playing there with their controversial abortion laws? Isn't that something they've been vocal about in past? Seems pretty hypocritical to me. The Raleigh cancellation doesn't affect me one bit, but it absolutely pisses me off. All it does is screw the fans, period. You want to support the working class? Don't fuck them out of a trip that has been planned for months and will undoubtedly screw lots of people out of their hard earned money. Pearl Jam is out of touch and completely off base with this one. What if the government somehow pulled a bullshit move like this, fucking innocent people over, and simply responded "we're sorry, that's just the way we feel it needs to be." I bet Ed and the boys would be pretty vocal about it. Like I said; hypocritical. Way to go Pearl Jam. You sure stuck it to the man... Oh wait, no you didn't. Those are just your diehard fans. Oh well, you're a big rich rock band, so fuck 'em, right?

• Options
    Wahhhhhh
  • Options
    KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871

Wahhhhhh

I love a good debate, especially when someone brings up truly intelligent, well thought out points like this. I hadn't considered this side of things, thank you for that.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,682

Politics and music should never mix.

Wtf??? :lol:

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    DischordVisionDischordVision SEAttle by way of WNY Posts: 532
    ComeToTX said:

When do we get a statement from the band on why it was fine to play 4 shows in Florida, a state with plenty of anti-lgbt laws?

good point!
    U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    KC2917 said:

Looks like Texas is fucked too then for any future PJ shows. How can they justify playing there with their controversial abortion laws? Isn't that something they've been vocal about in past? Seems pretty hypocritical to me. The Raleigh cancellation doesn't affect me one bit, but it absolutely pisses me off. All it does is screw the fans, period. You want to support the working class? Don't fuck them out of a trip that has been planned for months and will undoubtedly screw lots of people out of their hard earned money. Pearl Jam is out of touch and completely off base with this one. What if the government somehow pulled a bullshit move like this, fucking innocent people over, and simply responded "we're sorry, that's just the way we feel it needs to be." I bet Ed and the boys would be pretty vocal about it. Like I said; hypocritical. Way to go Pearl Jam. You sure stuck it to the man... Oh wait, no you didn't. Those are just your diehard fans. Oh well, you're a big rich rock band, so fuck 'em, right?

agreed! I love how they cancel a show 2 days before. not a week, 2 weeks or maybe a month. then they go on and play Virginia tonight.

yeah screw NC fans while we have better shows to play. hypocrites
    Post edited by DischordVision on
    U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
  • Options

Post deleted by Admin
    Please remember: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines
    Discuss, disagree and debate politely. It's possible to disagree with people without being abusive, and it's a requirement here.

abusive?
    says the admin who deletes my comment.
    get a life!
  • Options
    63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    PJ_Soul said:

When it comes to cancelling or derailing a show.... Sorry I forgot to clarify. The vast majority of people there don't care and it pisses everyone off so that nobody has a good time. For example the famous Rage incident in Philly back in the day. Absolutely no reason for that. People go to hear you play music, not yap about politics. If it's a political song that's way different obviously.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

When it comes to cancelling or derailing a show.... Sorry I forgot to clarify. The vast majority of people there don't care and it pisses everyone off so that nobody has a good time. For example the famous Rage incident in Philly back in the day. Absolutely no reason for that. People go to hear you play music, not yap about politics. If it's a political song that's way different obviously.
    agreed!
This discussion has been closed.