Options

THIS IS BULLS**T

Comments

• Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    This definitely sucks for those who had tickets to Raleigh but if they cancelled the show any sooner it would of given the venue an opportunity to book something else in it's place therefore minimizing the financial impact. The whole point of cancelling the show at the last minute is to hit the community where it hurts most, the wallet. Eventually, well hopefully, the citizens of NC will grow tired of everyone boycotting their state and demand their representatives and law makers to repeal the law.

I'm actually very surprised at how many fans have voiced their displeasure with the band for taking a stance on the issue and following suit with the other artist who have recently cancelled their shows in NC.
  • Options
    TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422
    edited April 2016
    Post deleted by Admin
    Please remember: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines
    Discuss, disagree and debate politely. It's possible to disagree with people without being abusive, and it's a requirement here.
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    joeembletonjoeembleton Glasgow Posts: 408
    Outstanding move by PJ. You should be proud of them completely.
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346

This definitely sucks for those who had tickets to Raleigh but if they cancelled the show any sooner it would of given the venue an opportunity to book something else in it's place therefore minimizing the financial impact. The whole point of cancelling the show at the last minute is to hit the community where it hurts most, the wallet. Eventually, well hopefully, the citizens of NC will grow tired of everyone boycotting their state and demand their representatives and law makers to repeal the law.

I'm actually very surprised at how many fans have voiced their displeasure with the band for taking a stance on the issue and following suit with the other artist who have recently cancelled their shows in NC.

Fans are pissed cause this is also hitting them where it hurts, their wallets. People are already there, already have flights booked and paid for. If they cancelled a week ago I highly doubt the venue gets anyone to play there and it gives people a chance to cancel hotels and work on changing their flights.
    NYPJ
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,382
    edited April 2016

lol... really? How many Arena sized bands can you book on 10 days notice?

I don't think people are mad at PJ for taking a stand, I think people are mad at PJ that the notice was so short. I don't buy the rebooking exuse at all. Had PJ cancelled last week. I severely doubt the venue would of found another arena sized band to come in that short notice. It also wouldn't matter if it was on excactly the same night. If they cancel PJ, they can't sub your tickets for Ice Cube. They'd have to refund all the tickets, and re do the show as an Ice Cube show. At that point it wouldn't matter if it was on the same night or a few weeks later.
  • Options
    dmbolpdmbolp ATL Posts: 1,190
    Zod said:

lol... really? How many Arena sized bands can you book on 10 days notice?

And what band would be willing to be that band?
  • Options
    mdaryamdarya The middle Posts: 68
    edited April 2016
    Deleted
    Post edited by mdarya on
    06 Cincinnati
    10 Columbus, Noblesville
    11 Toronto-1
    13 Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    14 Cincinnati
    16 Lexington, Wrigley 1
    17 EV-Louisville
    18 Rome, Missoula, Wrigley 1, Boston 1
    22 Nasville, STL
    23 Ft Worth 1/2
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,643
    The groups they are claiming to support have asked for bands to come and speak out.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    Bdog10Bdog10 Boca Posts: 471

Edved007 said:

COMPLETE HORESHIT. As someone that was going, I'm disappointed but understand. I'M FUCKING FURIOUS that's it's 48 hours away. There are non-refundable flightts, hotels, ticket swaps, etc. AT LEAST HAVE THE BALLS TO DO IT WITH SOME WARNING SO YOU DON'T LEAVE THOUSANDS HIGH AND DRY.

Yup they could have canceled a week ago or even a month ago! Riding Bruce's coattails! If he hadn't have canceled pj wouldn't have. Everyone knows it!
    This
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

Randall's Island 96 and haven't stopped since...
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,607
    Good for the band. Sorry to those of you who don't have a show to go to.
  • Options
    ambst95ambst95 Posts: 125
    edited April 2016
    AlaG said:

Big shows like this bring boatloads of tourist dollars to the state, especially when several other artists follow suit. This decision doesn't just negatively affect the 20k people who were going to be in attendance, it negatively affects the lawmakers and the people who support them as well.

This was the right decision.

If they gave further notice, no problem. The venue would've just found another big name to fill that vacant date.

So basically I'm now going to NC as I have a flight, hotel, PTO already nonrefundable and spend more money as I now need something to do. A week ago, I could have cancelled hotel and gotten out of my PTO. The state will take a small bump but would have taken a larger one if cancelled 2 weeks ago.

Post edited by ambst95 on
    2003: 4/26 Pittsburgh, PA
    2008: 6/20 Camden, NJ
    2009: 10/28 Philadelphia, PA
    2013: 10/22 Philadelphia, PA; 10/27 Baltimore, MD
    2016: 4/20/ Raleigh, NC; 4/28 Philadelphia, PA; 4/29 Philadelphia, PA; 8/20 Chicago, IL
  • Options
    DischordVisionDischordVision SEAttle by way of WNY Posts: 532
    edited April 2016
    Post deleted by Admin
    Please remember: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines
    Discuss, disagree and debate politely. It's possible to disagree with people without being abusive, and it's a requirement here.
    Post edited by Sea on
    U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
  • Options
    DT164689DT164689 Posts: 4
    It is with Deep Consideration that @pearljam waits until just before 48 hours to cancel Raleigh, that way local hotels aren't affected as no reservations can be cancelled. #Fans&TransLOSE #PearlJamAreFollowersNotLeaders #LostAFan
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,607
    Glad everyone understands what this is about.
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    DT164689 said:

It is with Deep Consideration that @pearljam waits until just before 48 hours to cancel Raleigh, that way local hotels aren't affected as no reservations can be cancelled. #Fans&TransLOSE #PearlJamAreFollowersNotLeaders #LostAFan

Yea bad move by the band..spin doctors could use some fans though..peace out
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,552
    DT164689 said:

Every hotel I've ever booked has a 24 hour cancellation policy.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    mdaryamdarya The middle Posts: 68
    edited April 2016
    I am not against the bands protesting the law. 7 days notice or more would allow for a lot the fans to makes cancellations and not take a financial hit and would still allow the band to protest. Why wait so long?
    Post edited by mdarya on
    06 Cincinnati
    10 Columbus, Noblesville
    11 Toronto-1
    13 Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    14 Cincinnati
    16 Lexington, Wrigley 1
    17 EV-Louisville
    18 Rome, Missoula, Wrigley 1, Boston 1
    22 Nasville, STL
    23 Ft Worth 1/2
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,643
    I'm sure the band cancelled all their travel arrangements before today.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    DischordVisionDischordVision SEAttle by way of WNY Posts: 532
    edited April 2016
    quote deleted by Admin

my thoughts exactly!
    typical leftist rockstars
    Post edited by Sea on
    U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    edited April 2016
    on2legs said:

DT164689 said:

Every hotel I've ever booked has a 24 hour cancellation policy.
    Which would have been earlier today for a lot of people.
    Post edited by wall232 on
    NYPJ
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    ComeToTX said:

I'm sure the band cancelled all their travel arrangements before today.

Or maybe they had hope that the NC legislators would pull their heads out of their asses and acquire some basic human decency.. Who knows really?
  • Options
    patkelly12patkelly12 CT Posts: 349
    This is definitely the subject to get fired up about. Who uses what bathrooms. Let's get real. Every other problem in the world is a very distant second.
  • Options
    duffmannduffmann PHILLY Posts: 475
    ^^^^^This^^^^^

THANKS OBAMA!
    Philly PA 91, Philly 92, Camden 98, Camden 2X 00, State College, Philly, Camden 2X & Hershey 03, Reading 04, AC 2X & Philly 05, Camden 2X 06, Camden 2X 08, Philly 4X 09, Philly 2X & Balt 13, Natti & Moline 14, FTL & MIA, Philly 2X, MSG 2X, Fenway 2X 16, Seattle 2X, Missoula, Wrigley 2X, Fenway 2X 18                               ******COVID******
    San Diego & LA  2X, PHX, MSG, Camden, Nashville, 50th SHOW STL 22, CHI(n2), INDY, FTW(n2), Austin 2X 23......
  • Options
    jasonrolfejasonrolfe Posts: 474
    BN8419 said:

You're supposed to be pissed people.

That's the point.

Now get off your ass and do something with your anger that repeals this or helps prevent this type of thing in other states.

Well said
    2005: Kitchener / London / Hamilton | 2006: Toronto 1&2 | 2010: Hartford | 2011: Toronto 1&2 / Hamilton
    2013: London, Brooklyn 1&2 | 2014: Detroit | 2015: New York | 2016: Ottawa / Toronto 1 / Wrigley 1
  • Options
    No, no, no. Bad form overall PJ. 2 days before the show is unacceptable. This has been an issue for quite some time and plenty could have been done already such as:
    1) Inform us that this decision may take place, not a thought about people traveling such as airfare, hotels, etc. We could then also call the venue to support PJs protest. At this point, the venue still gets payed for the booking and the food/bev people are really the ones getting screwed besides the fans that are "in the fight". Not well thought out.
    2) Donate proceeds to the correct organizations, dunno who they are talking to but it doesn't sound like they are in touch with the correct people
    3) Realize this is a place where a stand can be made in support of the LGBT community, with most everyone there in support of the right cause it's a place to create the type of atmosphere that some NCarolinians (politicians) apparently need. Create a larger spark to hopefully get the appeal laws moved up sooner. We are obviously not the enemy and the band has grouped NC residents together. As one I can say that most everyone I speak with (including LGBT friends I have) from this state oppose the political decisions and actions that have already been made by "shit politicians," we are trying to get rid of. By them not participating is just not what I expect out of this group. Use the opportunity.

In summary: Totally agree with the "shit political decisions," however this is not the correct way to go about it, disappointed to say the least...
  • Options
    HoccapukHoccapuk Posts: 505
    "The NBA is still planning to hold its 2017 All-Star Game in Charlotte. Commissioner Adam Silver said the NBA would have more leverage to change the law by keeping the game in the city and pressuring lawmakers."

Hmmm the NBA gets it...
  • Options
    jxchamb1jxchamb1 Posts: 82
    The band is kinda stuck in a lose-lose situation. They chose to hold true to their convictions at the risk of pissing off pretty much everybody that had tickets. But if they played the show then people would say that they were selling out.
    At the end of the day Pearl Jam decided to support the rights of millions at the expense of 20K fans. I expected them to do this and I would have been shocked if they didn't. Makes me proud to be a Pearl Jam fan.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,782
    jxchamb1 said:

The band is kinda stuck in a lose-lose situation. They chose to hold true to their convictions at the risk of pissing off pretty much everybody that had tickets. But if they played the show then people would say that they were selling out.
    At the end of the day Pearl Jam decided to support the rights of millions at the expense of 20K fans. I expected them to do this and I would have been shocked if they didn't. Makes me proud to be a Pearl Jam fan.

Their great music makes me proud to be a fan. But that's it.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,552
    I would definitely be upset if a concert i was going to got cancelled, esp if I had a hotel room, flight, etc. I would also be upset if i wasnt afforded the basic freedom to use the restroom that suits my gender.

Its sorta like being white, and being uspet that the bus was cancelled because Rosa Parks wasnt allowed in the front. Yes, you can be upset you didnt get to work that day....but a whole group of people dont have some basic rights. So, in the end, I would understand. Its definitely upsetting when you dont get to see the band you love. But its more upsetting when a huge group of americans are being denied rights.

My suggestion...if you have unrefundable tickets, see if you can transfer them to another state. If not, go on your vacation and enjoy your pto, knowing that you dont have to worry about some of the same problems that trans people have to deal with. And maybe join the fight.

Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,225
    Im not even going to this show and im pissed. This is by no means excused from letting down very loyal fans of many years. If they wanted to make a statement they should have never of played 4 Florida shows to open a tour with. I'm cancelling my membership in protest to the insensitivity of the band who put hard working people out of a lot of money to see the band they love. If you have a shred of moral convictions,you'll do the same.
This discussion has been closed.