WTFlorida? 4 Theories on Why Florida Is the Weirdest State

Comments

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,518
    edited April 2016
    Post edited by Smellyman on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
    It should be noted that Florida is more than just people. It also is the home for a host of wonderful and exotic plants and wild creatures. Kiss this baby on the mouth!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    GF,
    G under P lives locally also.Of course he's not as cool as us because he dosent live in the north end.
    Glad your settling in.Told ya this place was great.
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    brianlux said:

It should be noted that Florida is more than just people. It also is the home for a host of wonderful and exotic plants and wild creatures. Kiss this baby on the mouth!

WTF is that?
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    It's a Trump Sloth. The asshole for the mouth is a dead giveaway.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    Free said:

brianlux said:

WTF is that?
    It's a cute little Star-nosed mole. It's a bit of a stretch to call this a Florida resident as it's southern most range is the northern edge of Florida. It's a fascinating creature. It can smell under water!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    g under p said:

Ok how did I ever miss this thread. Florida is doing just fine.....I've lived in Boston, NYC, DC Metro area, VA and SC.....I'm having the best time living here in Palm Beach County. Some folks joke thst Florida is the penis of this country, if that's so where's the vagina?

I've certainly had my share of weirdness....a panther crossing the driveway, gators of all sizes in our lake, a python crossing our community street and lots of wild pigs till they were removed to a wildlife refuge out in Loxahatchee. Love nature, the sea and there's plenty of it to see here as I now try to learn how to sail. Big city life is long gone for me, give me the bugs, lizards, Falcons etc but they can keep the snakes.

Peace

You are a lucky man…
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    g under p said:

Ok how did I ever miss this thread. Florida is doing just fine.....I've lived in Boston, NYC, DC Metro area, VA and SC.....I'm having the best time living here in Palm Beach County. Some folks joke thst Florida is the penis of this country, if that's so where's the vagina?

I've certainly had my share of weirdness....a panther crossing the driveway, gators of all sizes in our lake, a python crossing our community street and lots of wild pigs till they were removed to a wildlife refuge out in Loxahatchee. Love nature, the sea and there's plenty of it to see here as I now try to learn how to sail. Big city life is long gone for me, give me the bugs, lizards, Falcons etc but they can keep the snakes.

Peace

You tell em.G

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    but i think maybe sorta they're speaking of the weird fucking ppl running amok & not the gators & snakes. then again maybe kinda sorta im wrong... probably not
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    brianlux said:

I've been in south Florida for a few months now and like it here for some of the reasons you don't like Florida, and it's beautiful here, California can kiss my ass along with that freak "moonbeam" Jerry Brown. I try my best to avoid wal-mart in any state.

Godfather.

The governor is not so moonbeamish these days, GF. He's supported fracking. I liked the moonbeam version better.

And I'm sorry, but I won't kiss your ass but thanks for the offer anyway! :lol:

HAHHAHA !!! sorry B.
    I had no idea he supported fracking.....maybe they made him a money offer that he couldn't refuse ?

Godfather.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Reason #1257 not to live in Florida ...

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Jason P said:

Damn, I knew somebody would find that story.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    chadwick said:

but i think maybe sorta they're speaking of the weird fucking ppl running amok & not the gators & snakes. then again maybe kinda sorta im wrong... probably not

Lol, yeah, I think you're right!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    g under p said:

Jason P said:

Damn, I knew somebody would find that story.

Peace

yeahhhhh now that's cool ! that gator was all fattened up on beef...it's what's for dinner LOL !!!!

Godfather.

• Options
    Jason P said:

If this is real and it's been killed by humans, definitely a reason not to move to Florida.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Seems to be real, but the photo makes it look somewhat bigger than it really is, as well as the fact that the person in the photo is a little kid. It's not even the biggest alligator found in Florida (although it's pretty close). And yeah, that's a shame that it was killed, but it was apparently too close to a cattle farm.... could have been captured and relocated though. On the other hand, it's not like they're going extinct. I do NOT support hunting for sport at all, and a hunting group killed this thing, and it's sad when something that practically seems supernatural is killed.... but it's also sad when cows get eaten alive by giant alligators, so I'm not completely torn up about it.

http://time.com/4283479/giant-alligator-florida/
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Seems to be real, but the photo makes it look somewhat bigger than it really is, as well as the fact that the person in the photo is a little kid. It's not even the biggest alligator found in Florida (although it's pretty close). And yeah, that's a shame that it was killed, but it was apparently too close to a cattle farm.... could have been captured and relocated though. On the other hand, it's not like they're going extinct. I do NOT support hunting for sport at all, and a hunting group killed this thing, and it's sad when something that practically seems supernatural is killed.... but it's also sad when cows get eaten alive by giant alligators, so I'm not completely torn up about it.

Which ever one is the indigenous species is the one I believe should be allowed to live. Cows are not indigenous to Florida.

We have mountain lions/cougars in the Sierra foothills and people with livestock say they should be killed if their animals are attacked. I don't agree with that either. Killing off wildlife demonstrates the kind of disregard of natural laws that keep things in balance and doing that is part of the slow mass suicide that we humans are engaged in. I just can't abide killing wildlife for the sake of domesticated animals. That's why we have an indoor cat. She could be killed by the fox, or coyotes that occasionally pass through our neighborhood.

I know I sound obstinate about my beliefs on this sort of thing but if we don't learn to respect nature and the laws of ecology we will slowly kill ourselves off along with all the other species we are wiping out. I am not one of those that believes this is a good thing.

• Options
    That gator has killed in cold blood!

(if i had something like that living in my backyard i would buy a bazooka)
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

Which ever one is the indigenous species is the one I believe should be allowed to live. Cows are not indigenous to Florida.

We have mountain lions/cougars in the Sierra foothills and people with livestock say they should be killed if their animals are attacked. I don't agree with that either. Killing off wildlife demonstrates the kind of disregard of natural laws that keep things in balance and doing that is part of the slow mass suicide that we humans are engaged in. I just can't abide killing wildlife for the sake of domesticated animals. That's why we have an indoor cat. She could be killed by the fox, or coyotes that occasionally pass through our neighborhood.

I know I sound obstinate about my beliefs on this sort of thing but if we don't learn to respect nature and the laws of ecology we will slowly kill ourselves off along with all the other species we are wiping out. I am not one of those that believes this is a good thing.
    Yeah, I'm no fan of human encroachment either, to say the least. I have a real problem with my neighbor who terrorizes the raccoon that comes around in the hopes that it will go away because he's worried about his cat (it still won't go away). He's been shooting at it with a pellet gun, and I talked to him about it and he claimed that he was just shooting the ground near it. I don't even believe him. If I hear him doing that again I'll call the cops.
    But I'm also a realist. It's not like the people or cows are going anywhere, and when there is basically a monster creeping around your home, you're going to do something about it. Unfortunate and sad, and your beliefs are no different than mine. I agree that wild animals should have priority. It's just that we both have to acknowledge that our beliefs have absolutely no impact when a guy has cows and children to protect. The only thing that MIGHT prevent this kind of thing would be for the government to make it illegal, and we're talking the fucking government in Florida here ... and even then, it probably wouldn't work.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Gators used to be endangered but they came back in a big way. I really don't get the impression people hunt them for sport. They seem most likely to be killed when they and humans get too close in proximity or they lose their fear of people. I'd read that the gator had taken some of the guy's cattle. I'm not justifying, just saying I understand the guy's motivation.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Gators used to be endangered but they came back in a big way. I really don't get the impression people hunt them for sport. They seem most likely to be killed when they and humans get too close in proximity or they lose their fear of people. I'd read that the gator had taken some of the guy's cattle. I'm not justifying, just saying I understand the guy's motivation.

Alligator hunting is big business in Florida. It's a tourist attraction; an industry. There are guided alligator hunting tours/"adventures".
    Also, the people who killed that particular one belonged to a hunting group. Yeah, it was close to cattle (no evidence that it actually did kill any though btw), but at the same time the people belong to a hunting group.... so it's possible that this alligator wasn't as close to cattle as they would have you think.
    But yeah, right or wrong, obviously any person living near that monster, especially those with kids, would have a clear motivation to be rid of it.... But again, relocation would be a much better method to use.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I had no idea people hunted them that way. I knew people took tours to see alligators but didn't know they hunted them. Seems like a weird choice of prey to me but I'm not a hunter.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Alligator hunting is big business in Florida. It's a tourist attraction; an industry. There are guided alligator hunting tours/"adventures".
    Also, the people who killed that particular one belonged to a hunting group. Yeah, it was close to cattle (no evidence that it actually did kill any though btw), but at the same time the people belong to a hunting group.... so it's possible that this alligator wasn't as close to cattle as they would have you think.
    But yeah, right or wrong, obviously any person living near that monster, especially those with kids, would have a clear motivation to be rid of it.... But again, relocation would be a much better method to use.
    the big gator seems to be the dominant one in it's area, you relocate a gator like that and could disrupt the system and I have heard that once a gator gets a taste or liking for something they find it one way or another but I that's just stuff I've picked up since I've been here.

Godfather.

• Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    And you wonder why Dexter takes matters in his own hands.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Of The Earth!!

You bastards!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    rgambs said:

Of The Earth!!

You bastards!

DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

the big gator seems to be the dominant one in it's area, you relocate a gator like that and could disrupt the system and I have heard that once a gator gets a taste or liking for something they find it one way or another but I that's just stuff I've picked up since I've been here.

Godfather.

A taste of liking for what? There is no report that I see anywhere that the alligator ate a cow or a person.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,518
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

A taste of liking for what? There is no report that I see anywhere that the alligator ate a cow or a person.
    Let's kill it just in case.

Then pose by it.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    This will get your blood flowing...only in Florida....

http://youtu.be/sWqg6B-taUg

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options