Options

The terrorist attacks we don't care about

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,514
    edited March 2016
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/03/14/horror-at-the-beach-22-dead-in-terrorist-attack-on-ivory-coast-resorts/

"Grand-Bassam’s beaches were busy Sunday afternoon. Soaring temperatures had driven people from across Ivory Coast to the city’s oceanfront resorts. Tourists and locals alike dove in the sea and lounged on the sand.

For al-Qaeda, it was an opportune moment to attack.

Six figures in black appeared on the beach. They wore balaclavas. They carried guns. They opened fire.

Armed with Kalashnikov rifles and hand grenades, the attackers marched across the sand, sowing death. They shot men, women and children. They shot Ivorians and foreigners. When security forces arrived, the gunmen killed two of them as well.

“They killed a child, despite him kneeling down and begging,” one witness said, according to the BBC. “They shot a woman in the chest. I swear, I heard them shouting ‘Allahu Akbar.’ They’ve killed innocent people.”.....

"The final tally: 22 dead, including the six gunmen, two soldiers and 14 civilians."
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/03/14/horror-at-the-beach-22-dead-in-terrorist-attack-on-ivory-coast-resorts/

"Grand-Bassam’s beaches were busy Sunday afternoon. Soaring temperatures had driven people from across Ivory Coast to the city’s oceanfront resorts. Tourists and locals alike dove in the sea and lounged on the sand.

For al-Qaeda, it was an opportune moment to attack.

Six figures in black appeared on the beach. They wore balaclavas. They carried guns. They opened fire.

Armed with Kalashnikov rifles and hand grenades, the attackers marched across the sand, sowing death. They shot men, women and children. They shot Ivorians and foreigners. When security forces arrived, the gunmen killed two of them as well.

“They killed a child, despite him kneeling down and begging,” one witness said, according to the BBC. “They shot a woman in the chest. I swear, I heard them shouting ‘Allahu Akbar.’ They’ve killed innocent people.”.....

"The final tally: 22 dead, including the six gunmen, two soldiers and 14 civilians."

Brutal.

Death to these assholes. I'm okay with a painful one too. Just cold hearted, inhuman, mutants.

Just gross.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
    "And everybody putting everybody else down
    And all of the politicians makin' crazy sounds
    All the dead bodies piled up in mounds, yeah"
    -Lou Reed

It's still a fucking crazy world here, Lou.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    At some point the world will realize that there is no end to this vicious cycle ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,448
    I didn't read this whole thread.....I just know what happened in brussels is known as an average day in iraq. frankly, as callous as this sounds, I don't really care about sunni on shia violence. they've been doing it for 4000 years.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Suicide bombing in Iraq leaves 29 dead, dozens injured: officials
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/iraq-suicide-bombing-1.3507527
  • Options
    yep.....and then there's stuff like bosnia.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    clarification: Bosnia in the 90s

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    Wobbie said:

And what do you mean in referring to it? It was hardly remotely comparable to recent terror attacks. The Bosnian conflict was a case of ethnic cleansing or attempted genocide and involved one state invading another. Are you referring to the lack or slowness of intervention??
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/27/asia/pakistan-lahore-deadly-blast/

67 killed, mostly women and children. Splinter Taliban group responsible.

(Yes, i know a thread with 11 posts in it so far exists for this one)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    making it about race destroys the whole conversation...I think someone nailed it on the head earlier about familiarity with location and with people versus something happening every single day in one area...unfortunately if its the norm then its not as "shocking"
  • Options
    Nothing here destroys a conversation (besides saying something destroys a conversation).
  • Options
    TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422
    Does Pakistan`s government even try to stop the Taliban?
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Wobbie said:

what about it?
  • Options

Wobbie said:

what about it?
    I'm still waiting on an answer to that one
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited March 2016
    A side note; When the war was going on in former Joguslavia we got a lot of new cool classmates/friends. They quickly adjusted to living here as I remembered it.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Options
    Annafalk said:

A side note; When the war was going on in former Joguslavia we got a lot of new cool classmates/friends. They quickly adjusted to living here as I remembered it.

As did my best friend, who came from Bosnia aged 8 as a refugee. She now considers herself as Irish as she is Bosnian :smile:
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    So I'm supposed to have white guilt because I don't keep track of every heinous event on planet Earth?

Sure, ok. Lol
  • Options
    my2hands said:

So I'm supposed to have white guilt because I don't keep track of every heinous event on planet Earth?

Sure, ok. Lol

No.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    147 people, mostly students, killed by al-Shabab terror attack at a university in Garissa, Kenya.
    It is the deadliest attack yet by al-Shabab.
    The militants singled out Christians and shot them, witnesses said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-32169080
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Jason P said:

A Daallo Airlines flight traveling from Somalia to Djibouti in East Africa landed after an explosion tore a gaping hole in the Airbus A321 jet. Two were reportedly injured, though local eyewitness reports say that a “severely burnt body” was spotted falling from the sky.

Is that a Photo of the actual plane?...because it looks CGI.
  • Options
    Yeah, that's a real photo.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,518
    Won't post here, but google US Soldiers Shoot Civilians.
  • Options
    Smellyman said:

I'm seeing articles from 3 and 4 years ago.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Smellyman said:

yup, there are a lot going back. disturbing video too as they enjoy picking people off.
  • Options
    Smellyman said:

PJ_Soul said:

Smellyman said:

yup, there are a lot going back. disturbing video too as they enjoy picking people off.
    I would label this war crimes rather than terrorist attacks, but yeah, that's atrocious.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Smellyman said:

PJ_Soul said:

Smellyman said:

I would label this war crimes rather than terrorist attacks, but yeah, that's atrocious.
    True, but from the other perspective...
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I read an article about Wounded Knee the other day...what a Terrible Terrorist attack that was.
  • Options
    Wounded Knee was one more round in an ongoing systematic genocide committed by the government, but yeah, that was awful too.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Wounded Knee was one more round in an ongoing systematic genocide committed by the government, but yeah, that was awful too.

Well yeah Genocide ok...sorry I got confused.