Options

*** OFFICIAL Lexington Roll Call!!! ***

Comments

• Options
    loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,383

Is this the biggest arena PJ has played?? Apparently Rupp fits more people than MSG? I just found this out and it shocked me a little.

Crap. And I've got nosebleed seats for this one. :(
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    loadedgun said:

Is this the biggest arena PJ has played?? Apparently Rupp fits more people than MSG? I just found this out and it shocked me a little.

Crap. And I've got nosebleed seats for this one. :(
    go to the website. There is a virtual tour with different views.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    It will be during the KY Derby Festival, & thats just about an hour away in Louisville. TONS of stuff going on...TONS!
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    Rushboy2112Rushboy2112 Waupaca, WI Posts: 21
    know1 said:

If you have any questions about it, I'm happy to answer them.

Know1 that is wonderful, thanks for all the information, read and watched it all, showing the post to my wife, I'm gonna bet we do exactly that. dress-up, drink, horses, she'll love it :)
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,590

They play a lot of arenas bigger than msg.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 886
    ComeToTX said:

What about Rupp tho? Is my question.
  • Options
    yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661

ComeToTX said:

I believe the Rupp is the largest indoor arena in The United States
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    We've gotta be loud as hell during this show singing our asses off and rockin it. The band will feed off that and give us one of the best shows ever... Who's with me??? :rock_on:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    SS9981SS9981 Posts: 1,729
    Will be there! Closest one to hometown show, I live in Southern Indiana. Last show I saw at Rupp was Guns-n-Roses waay back in 1991. Huge arena, but great sound as I remember. After this, next show's, both night's at Fenway. Have 2 extra reserved seat's (139,xxx) for Fenway. Looking to trade for both night's in Wrigley, with comparable seniority. P.M. if interested.
    Scott A. Setser
  • Options
    SS9981 said:

Will be there! Closest one to hometown show, I live in Southern Indiana. Last show I saw at Rupp was Guns-n-Roses waay back in 1991. Huge arena, but great sound as I remember. After this, next show's, both night's at Fenway. Have 2 extra reserved seat's (139,xxx) for Fenway. Looking to trade for both night's in Wrigley, with comparable seniority. P.M. if interested.

Hey Scott hope to see you at the Rupp show. You traded me a St. Louis sticker in 2014. Hope all is well. See you in KY.
    Eric
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    yellowwho said:

ComeToTX said:

bring your climbing gear. Those steps are steep as hell!!

aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    pjradio said:

yellowwho said:

ComeToTX said:

bring your climbing gear. Those steps are steep as hell!!

I'm sure a lot of people will spill beer on those steps.... hopefully not on my shoes !!
  • Options
    pjDennipjDenni Cincinnati Ohio Posts: 8
    KC138045 said:

pjalive21 said:

49 days!!!!!!!

7 weeks, so we can have a smaller number :)

I'm beyond pumped for this show. Last tour I went to Cinci which was the first of the tour. I'm glad this one is later which will give them plenty of warm up time for what I expect to be the show of the tour. Can't wait for the tour to start to see how the sets go and how many gems/rarities they bust out.
    Cinci was amazing!!! Can't wait for Lexington as well!! So stoked!!!
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763

know1 said:

If you have any questions about it, I'm happy to answer them.

Know1 that is wonderful, thanks for all the information, read and watched it all, showing the post to my wife, I'm gonna bet we do exactly that. dress-up, drink, horses, she'll love it :)
    No problem. Hope you get to Keeneland. I think I'll be taking off work on Wednesday and going as well.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    Rupp is huge. and very steep. And if I remember correctly, it's hard to get from section to section in the upper bowl. Like if you come in one section, but your seats are on the other side, you have to crawl over everyone or go back out and walk around. There isn't an opening in the sections between entry ways, except for a few sections. But it's been like 6 years since I've been there, so I could be remembering it wrong

Really wanted to do Keeneland on Wednesday, but found out this past weekend, I got tix for Philly. So I'll be seeing PJ 5 times in 7 days in Lexington, Philly and NYC. My bank account is going to hate me, but screw it. It's PJ!
  • Options
    loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,383
    ponytd said:

Really wanted to do Keeneland on Wednesday, but found out this past weekend, I got tix for Philly. So I'll be seeing PJ 5 times in 7 days in Lexington, Philly and NYC. My bank account is going to hate me, but screw it. It's PJ!

On one hand, congrats for getting to see them that often. On the other hand, I'm shaking my fist at you in pure jealousy!!!
    Money well spent. Seeing them once is a life experience by itself. 5 in 7, I don't know that I can even fathom.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • Options
    tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 886
    Seeing em 4 times in 8days. Being from Michigan its not that easy to pull off! Definitely not financially responsible!! But like you said...its PJ!!
  • Options
    ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    loadedgun said:

ponytd said:

On one hand, congrats for getting to see them that often. On the other hand, I'm shaking my fist at you in pure jealousy!!!
    Money well spent. Seeing them once is a life experience by itself. 5 in 7, I don't know that I can even fathom.
    the most I've ever seen them in 1 year was 2013 when I saw them 4 times between Wrigley and Charlotte. Seen them 13 times total since '94. I'm not getting younger, and neither is the band, so my ticket buddy and I said screw it. Let's do it big time this year! I'm hopefully going to see them 10 times this year. Greenville, Lex, Philly x 2, MSG x2, Wrigley x 2, Fenway x 2. Still need that pesky MSG night 1 and Wrigley night 1 ticket for the magic 10 shows. I was supposed to be saving to buy a house, but..... this seems more fun lol
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    36 Days!!! time is flying...cannot wait peeps
  • Options
    BN8419BN8419 Posts: 290
    Thought I'd leave my two cents on some of the topics, as I am a lifelong Kentuckian, love the horses, love bourbon, and have a bit of professional knowledge when it comes to arenas.

First, my absolute first thought when this show was announced was to check and see about going to Keeneland the next day. It is one of my favorite places anywhere. Keeneland, Saratoga, Del Mar, Santa Anita - in this order - are the best places to go to experience the best of throughbred racing anywhere in the country. Churchill Downs, Belmont, and other more generally recognized tracks are way down the list. I will be at Keeneland on that Wednesday. It is the best thing to do in Lexington by far.

My recommendation for Wednesday is to go to the Woodford Reserve distillery, which is about a 15 minute drive from Keeneland the opposit direction of Lexington. Go there in the morning, get a taste of bourbon and the bourbon experience, and then make it to Keeneland by about noon. First race is always at 1:05. Usually 9 or 10 races on a Wednesday, last race about 5:00 or 5:30.

And regarding Rupp Arena - it is a fairly old venue connected to a hotel and convention center. It has a higher seating capacity, but is generally smaller than most NBA arenas, but comparable. The upper deck is very steep, and a lot of bleacher seating, but not all. It is referred to some times as "cavernous", lots of air volume in that place. The largest arena in the country is the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, which still qualifies as an arena, although it harkens back to the old "dome" type venues that are gone for the most part now. A Rupp show feels pretty much just like your typical arena show, the actual space inside isn't that much different from most of the arenas they will play.

There are no luxury boxes and there isn't going to much in the way of bars. Typically, there is no alcohol during the basketball games there, it will just be long lines at beer tables everywhere you go. There also isn't much of a night life around that area, although there are a few limited spots within the downtown walking area. The Univ of Ky campus is a 5-10 minute drive, and will be more active. I'm staying at the new 21C hotel downtown, which I think may not even be open yet, but will be by showtime.

As for how Rupp sounds, I've been to 4 or 5 concerts there, and it's pretty typical. Best sounding show I saw there was U2, the worst sounding show was RHCP/Foo, which was fucking horrible. The Pearl Jam show in 2003 was somewhere in the middle sound quality wise.

• Options
    laa1025laa1025 Posts: 128
    BN8419 said:

Thought I'd leave my two cents on some of the topics, as I am a lifelong Kentuckian, love the horses, love bourbon, and have a bit of professional knowledge when it comes to arenas.

First, my absolute first thought when this show was announced was to check and see about going to Keeneland the next day. It is one of my favorite places anywhere. Keeneland, Saratoga, Del Mar, Santa Anita - in this order - are the best places to go to experience the best of throughbred racing anywhere in the country. Churchill Downs, Belmont, and other more generally recognized tracks are way down the list. I will be at Keeneland on that Wednesday. It is the best thing to do in Lexington by far.

My recommendation for Wednesday is to go to the Woodford Reserve distillery, which is about a 15 minute drive from Keeneland the opposit direction of Lexington. Go there in the morning, get a taste of bourbon and the bourbon experience, and then make it to Keeneland by about noon. First race is always at 1:05. Usually 9 or 10 races on a Wednesday, last race about 5:00 or 5:30.

And regarding Rupp Arena - it is a fairly old venue connected to a hotel and convention center. It has a higher seating capacity, but is generally smaller than most NBA arenas, but comparable. The upper deck is very steep, and a lot of bleacher seating, but not all. It is referred to some times as "cavernous", lots of air volume in that place. The largest arena in the country is the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, which still qualifies as an arena, although it harkens back to the old "dome" type venues that are gone for the most part now. A Rupp show feels pretty much just like your typical arena show, the actual space inside isn't that much different from most of the arenas they will play.

There are no luxury boxes and there isn't going to much in the way of bars. Typically, there is no alcohol during the basketball games there, it will just be long lines at beer tables everywhere you go. There also isn't much of a night life around that area, although there are a few limited spots within the downtown walking area. The Univ of Ky campus is a 5-10 minute drive, and will be more active. I'm staying at the new 21C hotel downtown, which I think may not even be open yet, but will be by showtime.

As for how Rupp sounds, I've been to 4 or 5 concerts there, and it's pretty typical. Best sounding show I saw there was U2, the worst sounding show was RHCP/Foo, which was fucking horrible. The Pearl Jam show in 2003 was somewhere in the middle sound quality wise.

Great info! I've never done a horseracing event. Is it easy to do without looking like complete fool? Sounds like fun. If you go at noon, can you just watch a few and leave or would that not be worth it? Thank you.
  • Options
    laa1025 said:

Great info! I've never done a horseracing event. Is it easy to do without looking like complete fool? Sounds like fun. If you go at noon, can you just watch a few and leave or would that not be worth it? Thank you.

It's cheap enough to go, watch a few races and then leave. Admission is something like $10.

I doubt you'll want to leave, though, unless you just don't enjoy good people watching in a beautiful setting.

The confusing and intimidating thing about it is the betting. You don't have to bet at all, and many people do not, but try to learn a little bit about the basics of betting on horse races and that will help. I'm not advocating spending a bunch of money, but it''s amazing how much your interest level raises if you place a $2 bet on a race.

• Options
    CosmoCramerCosmoCramer Posts: 571
    Should I or Should I not wear my Indiana University gear?
    Indy 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Champaign 2003
    Indy 2003
    St. Louis 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Indy 2010
    Hampton 2016
    Lexington 2016
    EV Bourbon and Beyond 2017
    Chicago N1 2018
    Chicago N2 2018
    Nashville 2022
    St Louis 2022
    Oklahoma City 2022
    Denver 2022
    Chicago N1 2023
    Chicago N2 2023
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

The sting from their beat down should have faded by that point!! :rofl:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    BN8419 said:

Much of this is spot on. I do think that there is a bit more nightlife around the arena than a few years ago, but because it's a Tuesday night, there will not be bunches of people out (and out late) other than those going to the concert.

The upper arena of Rupp is really steep and is almost all bench seats as mentioned. I actually can't think of any that aren't benches. I think it was built for a time when people were thinner because it seems like each row holds about 3 more people than it should. It's tough to get to your seat and get out of it. Pearl Jam is probably the only act that I would put up with sitting up there. It's just not the greatest experience.

There have been some renovations in concessions, but the poster is correct that beer isn't sold at the basketball games and so they don't have the greatest infrastructure for it. I think it's gotten better, though.

I work in Lexington and live just outside. I go to a few of the basketball games every year. I haven't been back for an actual concert since maybe Pearl Jam in 2003. I can't think of another one that I've been to, but I might be mistaken.

• Options
    joe159joe159 Decatur, IL. Posts: 307
    CAN NOT WAIT!!!! Gonna be an amazing trip!!
  • Options
    derbydave said:

I wouldnt say it was a beat down, great game, have to respect the UK program.
    Indy 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Champaign 2003
    Indy 2003
    St. Louis 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Indy 2010
    Hampton 2016
    Lexington 2016
    Chicago N1 2018
    Chicago N2 2018
    Nashville 2022
    St Louis 2022
    Oklahoma City 2022
    Denver 2022
    Chicago N1 2023
    Chicago N2 2023
  • Options

derbydave said:

I wouldnt say it was a beat down, great game, have to respect the UK program.
    Being a U of L fan...
    This has been a TOUGH year!!!! :rofl:
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options
    Was U of L not allowed in the tourney this year? I cant remember.
    Indy 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Champaign 2003
    Indy 2003
    St. Louis 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Indy 2010
    Hampton 2016
    Lexington 2016
    Chicago N1 2018
    Chicago N2 2018
    Nashville 2022
    St Louis 2022
    Oklahoma City 2022
    Denver 2022
    Chicago N1 2023
    Chicago N2 2023
  • Options

Was U of L not allowed in the tourney this year? I cant remember.

Took themselves out of the tourney!!
    #HookersAndBlow :rofl: