Options

Time to shelve Pendulum

Comments

• Options
    chainchain Montreal Posts: 336
    chain said:

Got Release Worcester 1 2013 and Denver 2014... I just hope to ear Pendulum in Quebec or Ottawa

Pendulum, Getaway and Sleeping by myself are the only songs i did'nt ear from LB...
    Toronto 96-09-21 / Montreal 98-08-20
    Barrie 98-08-22 / Montreal 00-10-04 / Montreal 03-06-29
    Montreal 05-09-15 / Quebec 05-09-20 / Montreal 11-09-07
    Worcester 13-10-15 / Denver 14-10-22 / Quebec 16-05-05
    Ottawa 16-05-08 / Ottawa 20-03-20 / Quebec 20-03-22
  • Options
    Bdog10 said:

Nami said:

love this song...getaway and LB too. they are my go to songs off LB. love to hear all three regardless or where/when.

man having the ability to see PJ multiple times on a tour must be nice....

It is nice brah... I hate to burst your bubble, but PJ is still around after 25 years because of the die hards that travel and see them. Let's call a spade a spade. I can't stand the argument about "well what about the people who are seeing them the first time"
    PJ is around because they continue to play music to the ears of millions young or old.
    The band dictates what they play, plus a few requests here and there.
    There are first timers at every concert.
    Respect.
  • Options
    Tiz10Tiz10 South Florida Posts: 270
    edited February 2016
    I would like to hear Can't Keep as an opener along with Wash or Of the Girl as second choices
    August 17th 1998 Indianapolis, IN
    August 18th 2000 Indianapolis, IN
    June 22nd 2003 Indianapolis, IN
    June 11th 2008 West Palm Beach, FL
    June 12th 2008 Tampa, FL
    October 15th 2013 Worcester, MA
    October 16th 2013 Worcester, MA
    October 3rd 2014 St.Louis, MO
    April 8th 2016 Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    April 9th 2016 Miami, FL
    April 11th 2016 Tampa, FL
    August 5th 2016 Boston, MA (Fenway 1)
    August 7th 2016 Boston, MA (Fenway 2)
    April 7th 2017 Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
  • Options
    MS23098MS23098 Posts: 102
    Love the song and love it as an opener. However since it has existed I've gotten it at 5 out of my 7 shows since. It shouldn't be shelved,but maybe just used less frequently. 29 shows in I still have yet to see Release as an opener. And no if it is played second it's not the opener.
  • Options
    Bdog10Bdog10 Boca Posts: 471

Bdog10 said:

Nami said:

love this song...getaway and LB too. they are my go to songs off LB. love to hear all three regardless or where/when.

It is nice brah... I hate to burst your bubble, but PJ is still around after 25 years because of the die hards that travel and see them. Let's call a spade a spade. I can't stand the argument about "well what about the people who are seeing them the first time"
    PJ is around because they continue to play music to the ears of millions young or old.
    The band dictates what they play, plus a few requests here and there.
    There are first timers at every concert.
    Respect.

Agreed.... There are newbies at every show. But I really don't understand your point! Let's say PJ opened up with "Release" at every show and played the same set list every night. You really think they would be where they are 25 years later? Not a chance! That's my whole point by starting this thread.
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

Randall's Island 96 and haven't stopped since...
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,347
    don't shelve it completely... But yeah one of my favorite parts of going to any show is the anticipation of what they come out of the gates with
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    Ok. Can't believe this has carried on this long. The LB tours are over. They will not be leading with pendulum every night.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    mcgruff10 said:

BS44325 said:

Is Rockin' in the Free World a "pre-closer"?

It s usually played in the second set. Sometimes it ends the show and then it s known as the closing song for that show.
    I ve been to well over 500 live shows and I ve never identified the second to last song as the pre closer.
    You haven't because no one does. The "pre closer" comment was a joke.
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    Bdog10 said:

Nami said:

as Pend is fairly new, and you have the ability to see PJ multiple times throughout a tour, do you cringe with the popular ones from 10, NC, Yield, etc? also, do you think the die hard population, imo low numbers compared to overall concert seating (could be wrong of course), can now sell out arenas around the world? earlier days smaller venues i say yes...

Just curious on how many die-hards are out there that can do this ever year....
    cheers
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    edited February 2016
    Bdog10 said:

Really love everyone's take on this. Thanks for participating and giving me your input on this. I don't come around here much, so it's nice to see different perspectives.

Ok maybe I shouldn't of used the word "shelved". They obviously know what their doing and who am I to tell them what to do? But with that being said, I'm not a fan of hearing the same song multiple times in a 2 or 3 night run. Especially the opener. With all the songs that are on the table, there is so many to choose from! Pendulum is a song right? So I don't really buy the idea of a pre-opener song. That makes no sense to me. I love the anticipation of when the lights go off and your all fired up, and your wondering what's coming. I love that feeling. But lately, it's like I already know what's coming and it kinda sucks. No disrespect...this is just how I feel. I saw over 30 shows from 98-2006 and that anticipation and feeling of what's coming was bliss.

Again...I love the feedback and respect everyone's opinion. It's what makes PJ fans so awesome.

Come say hi to me in the lot. Oceans opener!

I know what you're saying, and I think you hit the nail on the head regarding the term 'shelve'. No one here is saying stop playing the tune, maybe just give it a break as an opener.

Pendulum took away the novelty of guessing what song they would open with. I love the song & love the atmosphere they created by opening with it, but in all honesty, I was pumped in Denver '14 when I heard the first few notes of Release. I was hoping for something different as my prior 3 shows had all opened w/ Pendulum. If they played Pendulum, I would have been fine with it, but I was also happy to hear something else.

As far as all the noobs are concerned, IMO they should be hoping for Release... I think it's the strongest opener in PJ's arsenal (although HTI is pretty sweet too).

But, this is all subjective, to each his or her own. Whatever PJ decides to play for me this year, I'll be happy with..... Above all else, I'm just psyched to see them again.
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    Bdog10 said:

Done with this tune... I'm hitting first two shows here in SoFlo and sure hope they leave this one back in Seattle. I went to three 3 shows in 2013 and they opened all 3 with Pendulum...and back to back nights in Brooklyn was a huge disappointment for me. Here's to a LBC or a Hard to Imagine opener in Fort Lauderdale.

Uh Ya. I said this back in 2013 and got so much shit on here. Sorry, its dumb to open back to back shows with this song. The song itself is great IMO, but please no more openings with it.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    I like pendulum a lot, but I do hope it gets mixed in with other openers. Seems they did that a little more with the SA shows.On the other hand, I think it is a song that helps Ed warm up some for the show. I like how they have started with 3-4 slower songs that last few tours.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    It would be great to listen to release (only 1994)/wash (1992) at one of the two sfl shows. HTI (never) is on the big list!
    Demented and sad, but social
    Wrigley Earthcam/Hartford 2013
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Bdog10 said:

Done with this tune... I'm hitting first two shows here in SoFlo and sure hope they leave this one back in Seattle. I went to three 3 shows in 2013 and they opened all 3 with Pendulum...and back to back nights in Brooklyn was a huge disappointment for me. Here's to a LBC or a Hard to Imagine opener in Fort Lauderdale.

I hope they play it opening first two shows and in an unprecedented move they open with it in the encores too.

and tags Daughter with it
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,474
    They should start ending the show with release.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    Pendulum is a great song and I love it. That being said I hope they mix it up more this time. I heard it open at 5 shows in a row in 2013, which was a bit much. There is no such thing as a "pre-opener." The first song played each night is the opener, plain and simple. I really like the idea of hearing it open an encore possibly.
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    Vedd Hedd said:

They should start ending the show with release.

I've been saying this for years!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    My fiancee has been to seven shows with Pendulum every time.
    I have been to 50+ with Release only three times. I need more...
  • Options
    fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753

I have been to 50+ with Release only three times. I need more...

I need more Release too. I was just thinking about it and realized that I haven't heard it live in more than 10 years. Despite seeing 17 shows in that span...
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    I have nothing against Pendulum. But I just wish the band would mix up what it opens and closes with a LOT more in general. They have so many options and are the best at mixing up setlists otherwise, so I don't know why they keep the openers and closers so totally predictable and repetitive.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I have nothing against Pendulum. But I just wish the band would mix up what it opens and closes with a LOT more in general. They have so many options and are the best at mixing up setlists otherwise, so I don't know why they keep the openers and closers so totally predictable and repetitive.

The setlist structure has become....well...structured. Open with two or three slow songs (with Pendulum opening way too often). Open the second set with a few slow songs (usually played while seated). I don't get it.

And in 2013, I saw the second Brooklyn show and the second Philly show. The shows were three days apart. They opened each show with Pendulum, Wash, Nothingman, and Lightning Bolt. The same four exact songs...with other setlist similarities. It was kinda shocking.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542

PJ_Soul said:

The setlist structure has become....well...structured. Open with two or three slow songs (with Pendulum opening way too often). Open the second set with a few slow songs (usually played while seated). I don't get it.

And in 2013, I saw the second Brooklyn show and the second Philly show. The shows were three days apart. They opened each show with Pendulum, Wash, Nothingman, and Lightning Bolt. The same four exact songs...with other setlist similarities. It was kinda shocking.
    Yeah, I don't get it either. They should shake it up more. It's like they're stuck in a rut as far as setlist structure goes. I know it has worked for them, but that doesn't mean it's the only good option.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,855

PJ_Soul said:

Both those shows were great but philly 2 did feel almost like a repeat of NYC 2. Close first set, first encore and second encore with all the same songs. Leaving Here and Blood back to back. Four song slow first encore with future days as the fourth and final song. Their were a lot of differences too, but less than usual.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, I don't get it either. They should shake it up more. It's like they're stuck in a rut as far as setlist structure goes. I know it has worked for them, but that doesn't mean it's the only good option.
    And strangely, despite being to 29 shows, I've never seen many of the "classic" openers like Long Road, Oceans, and Of The Girl. I'm hoping for one of them in Philly this year.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,756

PJ_Soul said:

That start would be amazing and hope to hear Nothingman and Wash in Quebec. That said I am with you with mixing stuff up though I really feel like we have been spoiled with this band. I feel like we expect more and more out of them every time they play.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    I feel you guys on these last few comments. It made me think all of a sudden back to ACL 14.... How I went to the show, and then the very next day or the day after they had an orange shirt for sale at the popup shop with the set list on the back. I remember thinking at the time how the set list must have been predetermined and they screen printed the shirts before the show was even done.... Sad to think about, but was that set list not decided upon on the day of the show?

Anyone else wonder if they are really writing set lists like the old days or if they already have a preconceived plan of what's going to happen, give or take a few minor changes?
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    Bdog10Bdog10 Boca Posts: 471
    Like someone said before, the setlists have become very stale. I really miss the 2003 days...anything was possible
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

Randall's Island 96 and haven't stopped since...
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    agree,go is a great opener
    danny d
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,855

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

And strangely, despite being to 29 shows, I've never seen many of the "classic" openers like Long Road, Oceans, and Of The Girl. I'm hoping for one of them in Philly this year.
    I got oceans and long road, but not as openers. Of the girl is brilliant IMO. Can't believe how little it's been played.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited February 2016
    Bdog10 said:

Like someone said before, the setlists have become very stale. I really miss the 2003 days...anything was possible

I think "very stale" is a major overstatement. Ask the folks who went to Moline, Leeds, Vienna, Detroit...Anything is still possible, if you actually look at the setlists, in some ways they mixed it up more than ever last tour. Suddenly, Black is early in the first set sometimes, whole albums being played in order, first time play for Strangest Tribe, LBC with a new JJF intro and jam, Footsteps getting regular rotation...I could go on, but the setlists are different and they are still changing.
    If they have a bit of a structure to them (easy open, staples in the middle, intimate second set open etc) I don't think that's a bad thing at all. I think they perform better when they have a loose formula, everyone wants them to mix it up like crazy and open with something like Comatose, but everyone forgets that those setlists had some ups and downs that were hit or miss, and Eddie has to sing night after night for 3 hrs straight. If he needs a few songs to warm his voice up at 50 years old, I think the fans should understand that and roll with it, hell even appreciate it.
    In 1 week (3 shows) my wife and I heard 71 unique songs... No band does that, none that have 71 songs worth hearing anyways lol.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?