Ticket Lottery Strategy

Opening up the discussion for successful strategies in getting the shows you want. GA or Reserved? Multiple shows? multiple shows in same city? Choice 1 vs. 10?
«134

Comments

  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNSPosts: 7,848
    LOVE this board!!!

    livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

    1995- New Orleans, LA

    1996- Charleston, SC

    1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

    2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

    2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

    2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

    2006- Cincinnati, OH

    2008- Columbia, SC

    2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Ved- Atlanta, GA x 2

    2010- Bristow, VA

    2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Ved- Chicago, IL

    2012- Atlanta, GA

    2013- Charlotte, NC

    2014- Cincinnati, OH

    2015- New York, NY

    2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

    2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

    2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

  • AlaGAlaG Brookline, MAPosts: 547
    edited January 2016
    Reserved seems like the way to go if you want a high shot of being in the building.

    Also, reading about choosing priorities in the FAQ:

    For each show we will randomly draw members who have made that show their #1 priority. If any tickets remain the system will randomly draw names of members who have chosen that show as their #2 priority, and so on until every ticket for a given show has been sold. Please keep in mind that not everyone can have their #1 priority. Priority rank is merely a consideration.

    In other words, if you want to go to a highly sought after show such as MSG of Philadelphia, there is absolutely no way you will get tickets to that show by listing it as a secondary preference. Tickets will run out before the system gets through the 1st rounders.

    Also, the FAQ lists that it's impossible for a single member to win tickets to both nights of the Philly or NYC shows.
    Post edited by AlaG on
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OHPosts: 11,255
    edited January 2016
    AlaG said:

    Reserved seems like the way to go if you want a high shot of being in the building.

    Also, reading about choosing priorities in the FAQ:

    For each show we will randomly draw members who have made that show their #1 priority. If any tickets remain the system will randomly draw names of members who have chosen that show as their #2 priority, and so on until every ticket for a given show has been sold. Please keep in mind that not everyone can have their #1 priority. Priority rank is merely a consideration.

    In other words, if you want to go to a highly sought after show such as MSG of Philadelphia, there is absolutely no way you will get tickets to that show by listing it as a secondary preference. Tickets will run out before the system gets through the 1st rounders.

    Also, the FAQ lists that it's impossible for a single member to win tickets to both nights of the Philly or NYC shows.

    CORRECT...
    For the shows in high demand,
    you are wasting your #2 choice if you select the the second option for the same show,
    OR choosing one of the other high demand shows!!
    Bottom line is you WON'T get MSG, Philly or Toronto as anything other than a #1 choice.

    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

  • BCBABCBA Utah with the mailmanPosts: 220
    just get as many accounts as you can for family members and get try to team up with people here to maximize your chances.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,254
    Here's 1. Make 20,000 10c memberships then enter the lottery with them all :)
  • JuannicenboimJuannicenboim ArgentinaPosts: 60
    What would you suggest if I want to attend both Fenway nights GA?
    Buenos Aires 11/25/05
    Buenos Aires 11/26/05
    Porto Alegre 11/28/05
    La Plata 11/13/11
    Buenos Aires 4/3/13
    Berlin 6/26/14
    Santiago 11/4/15
    La Plata 11/7/15
    Sao Paulo 11/14/15
    Chicago 08/20/16
    Chicago 08/22/16
  • ally12ally12 OttawaPosts: 38
    I have a question, I selected the Ottawa- Reserved seating as my 1st and my only show. I can only afford this one. Reserved seating is still holding steady at 99% if it remains that way or drop to say 90%, would I still get a pair? I see that GA for that show is around the 60% mark, would PJ offer the the member who missed out on the GA a reserved seat even though they didn't select it their 2nd priority to get rid of the tickets or would PJ give the leftovers to the ticket seller to give to the general public on the 29th to sell?
    2011: PJ20- Ottawa, Canada
    2016: PJ25- Ottawa, Canada
  • Chris519Chris519 Posts: 128
    ally12, no... if someone has chosen GA they will not be offered a reserved seat. I myself will never go with reserved seats again, unless they stop sticking 10c members at the very back of the floor. If your 10c membership number is up around the 500 mark, I would grab a pair of tickets on the public sale date and hold them until show day to see where your reserved seats are.
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OHPosts: 11,255
    edited January 2016
    ally12 said:

    I have a question, I selected the Ottawa- Reserved seating as my 1st and my only show. I can only afford this one. Reserved seating is still holding steady at 99% if it remains that way or drop to say 90%, would I still get a pair? I see that GA for that show is around the 60% mark, would PJ offer the the member who missed out on the GA a reserved seat even though they didn't select it their 2nd priority to get rid of the tickets or would PJ give the leftovers to the ticket seller to give to the general public on the 29th to sell?

    That's a GOOD question...the answer is NO!!
    With the GA option at 60%...
    it's a pretty good bet that all of the GA tickets will be used for those who made this their #1 choice.
    IF they have GA selected as #1 and reserved selected as #2,
    they would only be eligible for the reserved seats,
    after everyone that picked reserved as their #1 choice has tickets!!
    In very rare circumstances,
    10 Club has "UPGRADED" people who put in for reserved seats as their #1 choice to GA in order to fill up the pit...
    I know this happened in Phoenix in 2013 and I've heard of it happening at a few other shows!!
    Post edited by derbydave on

    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

  • ally12ally12 OttawaPosts: 38
    edited January 2016
    ok thanks! yes I am unfortunately in 500xxx. So there is a chance that I would be on the floor behind the pit.. I was looking at sitting in the stands closer to the stage. In Ottawa that would be 116 etc.. Have they put people in row 30 before? Not majorly concerned but I'm a tiny little gal at 5,0"
    Post edited by ally12 on
    2011: PJ20- Ottawa, Canada
    2016: PJ25- Ottawa, Canada
  • JLank11JLank11 Posts: 31
    I really appreciate this thread.

    I'm planning to attend the Greenville and Norfolk shows with a buddy. Would you suggest both of us entering the lottery for two tickets? This obviously gives us a better shot of getting tickets but if both of us win is it okay for us to sell the excess tickets to another person (hopefully a 10c member)? I'm not trying to make any money on the deal but would like to see the show(s).

    Thanks so much for your help and this thread.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNSPosts: 7,848
    JLank11 said:

    I really appreciate this thread.

    I'm planning to attend the Greenville and Norfolk shows with a buddy. Would you suggest both of us entering the lottery for two tickets? This obviously gives us a better shot of getting tickets but if both of us win is it okay for us to sell the excess tickets to another person (hopefully a 10c member)? I'm not trying to make any money on the deal but would like to see the show(s).

    Thanks so much for your help and this thread.

    Yeah. there is nothing wrong with selling your extra tix for face value. in fact, I have hooked up and been hooked up by several 10club members before.

    livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

    1995- New Orleans, LA

    1996- Charleston, SC

    1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

    2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

    2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

    2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

    2006- Cincinnati, OH

    2008- Columbia, SC

    2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Ved- Atlanta, GA x 2

    2010- Bristow, VA

    2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Ved- Chicago, IL

    2012- Atlanta, GA

    2013- Charlotte, NC

    2014- Cincinnati, OH

    2015- New York, NY

    2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

    2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

    2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

  • So basically at some point you have to make a judgement call whether to allocate your top 1 and 2 picks to the most in demand shows, or to the ones you NEED tickets for that may not necessarily be the most hard-to-get. Right?
  • front spacerfront spacer EarthPosts: 3,106
    Alright.......% odds question-

    If a show is 50% GA and then 99% reserved, does this mean.....for example, you have a 50/50 shot of being selected for GA? (meaning twice as many people have selected GA than is available)

    But then if you aren't selected for GA, you have basically a lock of receiving at least reserved seats, because not as many people have selected those as are available? No matter what selection number the reserved was selected?

    Does that make sense?
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
  • JM84420JM84420 BackstagePosts: 48
    Brisk. said:

    Here's 1. Make 20,000 10c memberships then enter the lottery with them all :)

    I just bought 20,000 memberships only to find out new members are not eligible. :(
  • amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 603
    I don't know how accurate the odds are. It does give some indication of demand. In past lottery I've seen people get fairly high demand shows on the 5th and 6th choices. Technically they would only show 1st choice pick to show your true odds, then once all the 1st choice's have been selected, the odds would be recalculated.

    amy
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OHPosts: 11,255
    edited January 2016

    Alright.......% odds question-

    If a show is 50% GA and then 99% reserved, does this mean.....for example, you have a 50/50 shot of being selected for GA? (meaning twice as many people have selected GA than is available)

    But then if you aren't selected for GA, you have basically a lock of receiving at least reserved seats, because not as many people have selected those as are available? No matter what selection number the reserved was selected?

    Does that make sense?

    Only if you have reserved selected as your 2nd choice (or lower priority for less popular shows)...and even then...only after everyone that has reserved as their first choice receives tickets.
    Post edited by derbydave on

    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNSPosts: 7,848
    derbydave said:

    Alright.......% odds question-

    If a show is 50% GA and then 99% reserved, does this mean.....for example, you have a 50/50 shot of being selected for GA? (meaning twice as many people have selected GA than is available)

    But then if you aren't selected for GA, you have basically a lock of receiving at least reserved seats, because not as many people have selected those as are available? No matter what selection number the reserved was selected?

    Does that make sense?

    Only if you have reserved selected as your 2nd choice (or lower priority for less popular shows)...and even then...only after everyone that has reserved as their first choice receives tickets.
    ^Yes, this is how this funky lottery works.
    trust us, we have been thru this several times before.
    I personally wouldn't select GA over reserved if the GA had a lower %.
    of course if my number was pretty high then I might gamble for GA.

    livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

    1995- New Orleans, LA

    1996- Charleston, SC

    1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

    2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

    2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

    2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

    2006- Cincinnati, OH

    2008- Columbia, SC

    2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Ved- Atlanta, GA x 2

    2010- Bristow, VA

    2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Ved- Chicago, IL

    2012- Atlanta, GA

    2013- Charlotte, NC

    2014- Cincinnati, OH

    2015- New York, NY

    2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

    2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

    2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

  • JDjrJDjr Posts: 43
    I've read here, and also before, that they may put 10c members in the reserved seats BEHIND GA - did this happen on the last tour? Only high 10c members maybe have a chance at sections 100's front/side stage? Torn here, as I'm sure I'm not alone, on whether to hedge my bets on GA or Reserved. Prefer reserved, but not if I'm behind GA. Aside from that, I am pumped!
    A lifer.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNSPosts: 7,848
    JDjr said:

    I've read here, and also before, that they may put 10c members in the reserved seats BEHIND GA - did this happen on the last tour? Only high 10c members maybe have a chance at sections 100's front/side stage? Torn here, as I'm sure I'm not alone, on whether to hedge my bets on GA or Reserved. Prefer reserved, but not if I'm behind GA. Aside from that, I am pumped!

    It has def happened on previous tours. depends on your 10club #

    livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

    1995- New Orleans, LA

    1996- Charleston, SC

    1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

    2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

    2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

    2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

    2006- Cincinnati, OH

    2008- Columbia, SC

    2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Ved- Atlanta, GA x 2

    2010- Bristow, VA

    2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Ved- Chicago, IL

    2012- Atlanta, GA

    2013- Charlotte, NC

    2014- Cincinnati, OH

    2015- New York, NY

    2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

    2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

    2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

  • JDjrJDjr Posts: 43
    lolobugg said:

    JDjr said:

    I've read here, and also before, that they may put 10c members in the reserved seats BEHIND GA - did this happen on the last tour? Only high 10c members maybe have a chance at sections 100's front/side stage? Torn here, as I'm sure I'm not alone, on whether to hedge my bets on GA or Reserved. Prefer reserved, but not if I'm behind GA. Aside from that, I am pumped!

    It has def happened on previous tours. depends on your 10club #
    Yeah, that's my fear based upon my semi-crappy number. :( Thanks!
    A lifer.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 10,114
    JM84420 said:

    Brisk. said:

    Here's 1. Make 20,000 10c memberships then enter the lottery with them all :)

    I just bought 20,000 memberships only to find out new members are not eligible. :(
    There's $800,000 down the drain, but on the bright side you have 20,000 I'm Analog shirts coming your way.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • chainchain MontrealPosts: 335
    This thread is the place to gaet an answer to this question:

    I put #1 pick GA Ottawa / #2 pick GA Quebec..... then #3 pick reserved Ottawa and #4 pick reserved Quebec

    His that the way i should do this to increase my odds to be at the show? Am i blurring my chances to have GA by entering reserved choices?

    Thanks for the input
    Verdun 93-08-19 / Toronto 96-09-21 / Montreal 98-08-20
    Barrie 98-08-22 / Montreal 00-10-04 / Montreal 03-06-29
    Montreal 05-09-15 / Quebec 05-09-20 / Montreal 11-09-07
    Worcester 13-10-15 / Denver 14-10-22 / Quebec 16-05-05
    Ottawa 16-05-08
  • axxllaxxll Posts: 49
    axxll said:

    Opening up the discussion for successful strategies in getting the shows you want. GA or Reserved? Multiple shows? multiple shows in same city? Choice 1 vs. 10?

    This is why I love our Ten Club fam - thanks for all the insight and helping eachother out with this one. Keep it coming.
  • mdaryamdarya OhioPosts: 58
    I have won tickets and has first row behind GA. Didn't seem that bad too me; but I am happy to be in the building.

    A ?. If I am looking at two shows that are at 99% (still) is that a guarantee I will get tickets to both?
    06 Cincinnati
    10 Columbus, Noblesville
    11 Toronto-1
    13 Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    14 Cincinnati
    16 Lexington, Wrigley 1
    17 EV-Louisville
    18 Rome, Missoula, Wrigley 1, Boston 1
  • ally12ally12 OttawaPosts: 38
    I am kinda of screwed though then. High 10C number, High Odds.. so I will get floor. That doesn't make sense wouldn't the members with higher seniority get the floor and not the stands?
    2011: PJ20- Ottawa, Canada
    2016: PJ25- Ottawa, Canada
  • JDjrJDjr Posts: 43
    Crazy question - how many 10c members ARE there? I'm wondering what constitutes a "high" 10c number?!
    A lifer.
  • rollingsrollings unknownPosts: 6,827
    my strategy is to not disclose it because your use of it weakens mine

    image
  • rollingsrollings unknownPosts: 6,827
    just kidding.

    I don't have a strategy

    image
  • ally12ally12 OttawaPosts: 38
    JDjr said:

    Crazy question - how many 10c members ARE there? I'm wondering what constitutes a "high" 10c number?!

    my number is 532470.. i joined in sept.. Ottawa-reserved is still holding at 99%

    2011: PJ20- Ottawa, Canada
    2016: PJ25- Ottawa, Canada
Sign In or Register to comment.