Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

dude 54;24

The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Sprunkn7 said:

I woke up starving, read about David Bowie passing now I have no appetite. WTF

Really?
    So you went to bed hungry dreaming about this Bowie guy?
    What's with you wiping such assholeness on people here lately?

Takes a big man to kick others when they're down.
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275
    Thanks Natasha!! I'll take any info you have. I'm really good about drinks. The only calories I get from liquids is alcohol. I make my own Green Iced Tea, or reg iced tea. It's my favorite drink. I also drink water all day long, sometimes with lemon but lots of time with cucumber slices.
    Keep posting all you want, I'll read it :clap:

and for pjfanwillneverleave1 :disappointed:
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Yes I do, mentally.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Sprunkn7 said:

We all deal with the cards we are dealt.

Sprunkn7 said:

Sounds like you were dealt the old maid card...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • RKCNDY said:

Sprunkn7 said:

Sounds like you were dealt the old maid card...
    That was a funny yet odd game.

Sprunkn7 said:

we certainly do
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    I have a few goals for 2016, and I think my running goals will have the greatest impact. That's great because it doesn't cost much,
    but . . .it's still kind of work-like.

I can do it! I think I can, I think I can, I think I can. . .
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Ms. Haiku said:

I have a few goals for 2016, and I think my running goals will have the greatest impact. That's great because it doesn't cost much,
    but . . .it's still kind of work-like.

I can do it! I think I can, I think I can, I think I can. . .

yes that's it, believe in yourself :) you can do anything if you put your mind and soul into it. Good luck.
    Today's tip:
    Eat breakfast everyday. People that don't eat eat breakfast daily don't wake up feeling hungry (because they are not producing the ghrelin hormone). If you don't eat a healthy breakfast at home before leaving for the day you will get hungry mid-morning and research shows many of these people will eat a higher calorie breakfast (because they end up eating unhealthy foods because that is what is around them when they get hungry, compared to what they would consume at home).

Oats are a great breakfast as they keep you full for many hours,most days I eat breakfast and I don't need to eat until lunchtime. Berries are antioxidants which means they clean up the bad radical cells that can destroy your cells, and this damage can make you age. LSA mix gives you a boost of omega 3's which helps brain concentration. Below is the recipe I eat most days.

Recipe of the day: Oats with yoghurt and berries
    Serves 1
    Ingredients:
    1/2 cup of berries (or another fruit that you like)
    1/2 cup rolled oats (for an inactive person) or 2/3 cup rolled oats for an active person
    3-4 large spoonfuls of natural or Greek yoghurt.
    1 tablespoon LSA mix (ground up linseed/sunflower seed/almonds- available in health food shops or supermarket)

Put everything in the bowl and mix together.

Sprunkn7 said:

Thanks Natasha!! I'll take any info you have. I'm really good about drinks. The only calories I get from liquids is alcohol. I make my own Green Iced Tea, or reg iced tea. It's my favorite drink. I also drink water all day long, sometimes with lemon but lots of time with cucumber slices.
    Keep posting all you want, I'll read it :clap:

Well done Sprunkn7, Keep up making your own teas, that's awesome. How is this week going?
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    i want to get super fit again by either buy a treadmill and bench press or join the gym
    if you exercise and balance your diet with good and bad you will be fine..
    The week could be better :whistle:
    I was so busy last weekend and my food prep has suffered. I'm working on a new grocery list and Sunday I'm doing all pre cook and prep for the week. Looks winter had finally settled in here so I'll have 2 crock pot meals which is a huge time saver. Meanwhile I'm eating lots of veggies and proteins and still trying to limit my sweets and baked goods. I'm working on it tho!
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    Ran 3 miles on Tuesday
    Did 250 pushups yesterday (no weights because I don't want to push it too much at first)
    tonight looking at elliptical/stairmaster
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    @ natashapearljamfan - what would someone studying nutrition say about meal replacement shakes?

My average day 6 days a week:

Wake up at 3am/4am feed my son. Get out of bed 5am. Leave for work 630am. Drink my meal replacement on my ride to work this is mixed with milk 12oz. Noon I eat lunch - not gonna lie I eat a turkey sammy and chips everyday usually with a banana and a baggy of mixed raw veggies with a little ranch cup. I only drink about 16 oz maybe 24 oz water at work I put a propel taste enhancer in it. Home by 630pm. Eat dinner - I don't bitch or make suggestions because I don't cook it - usually white meat with rice/potato and veggie. I honestly scarf that down in prolly 10 minutes and usually don't have time to drink anything once I'm home from work. After dinner I then have homework and sports practice with my oldest and then 2 little ones to feed and bathe. Then after everyone's asleep I pack my lunch pack the diaper bags get the car seats in my truck pick out my outfit for the next day lmao go pee and go to bed by 11pm. On Sundays I barely move I just do laundry and obviously if I have plans I go do whatever.

Any tips from anyone would be more than appreciated. And thanks for reading lol.

Please keep the info coming and recipes too please!

Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    So, the will isn't broken, but maybe a little rusty - I woke up on time to run, I was alert and ready, and I decided to knit a gift that was due in December. Kindof good, kindof bad.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    edited January 2016
    FoxyRedLa said:

@ natashapearljamfan - what would someone studying nutrition say about meal replacement shakes?

My average day 6 days a week:

Wake up at 3am/4am feed my son. Get out of bed 5am. Leave for work 630am. Drink my meal replacement on my ride to work this is mixed with milk 12oz. Noon I eat lunch - not gonna lie I eat a turkey sammy and chips everyday usually with a banana and a baggy of mixed raw veggies with a little ranch cup. I only drink about 16 oz maybe 24 oz water at work I put a propel taste enhancer in it. Home by 630pm. Eat dinner - I don't bitch or make suggestions because I don't cook it - usually white meat with rice/potato and veggie. I honestly scarf that down in prolly 10 minutes and usually don't have time to drink anything once I'm home from work. After dinner I then have homework and sports practice with my oldest and then 2 little ones to feed and bathe. Then after everyone's asleep I pack my lunch pack the diaper bags get the car seats in my truck pick out my outfit for the next day lmao go pee and go to bed by 11pm. On Sundays I barely move I just do laundry and obviously if I have plans I go do whatever.

Any tips from anyone would be more than appreciated. And thanks for reading lol.

Please keep the info coming and recipes too please!

Hey Foxy, I'll PM you later today. We will work on some little changes at a time. Your life is full on but I'm sure I can help. I'm glad you want the recipes.
    Post edited by Natashapearljamfan on
    Ms. Haiku said:

So, the will isn't broken, but maybe a little rusty - I woke up on time to run, I was alert and ready, and I decided to knit a gift that was due in December. Kindof good, kindof bad.

I don't always enjoy exercising but I know I should exercise at least 4 times a week, so on those days I wake up and get straight into it. Before I can change my mind or find something else to do! I'm not sure if you have heard of Michelle Bridges (she's got a similar career to Jillian Michaels), she's says just do it, don't think about it! I hope this inspires you to try tomorrow.
    Over winter I struggle, but I do lots of at home dvd workouts- Michelle Bridges and Jillian Michaels are my favs.
    Sprunkn7 said:

I was so busy last weekend and my food prep has suffered. I'm working on a new grocery list and Sunday I'm doing all pre cook and prep for the week. Looks winter had finally settled in here so I'll have 2 crock pot meals which is a huge time saver. Meanwhile I'm eating lots of veggies and proteins and still trying to limit my sweets and baked goods. I'm working on it tho!

Well done. Organisation is the key, sounds like you have a great plan for Sunday, keep up the great work. Once you are in a new routine you need to stick to it for a few months to make it habit. Then you really make changes.
    edited January 2016
    Today's tip:
    Exercise – Did you know there are exercise guidelines that recommend adults participate in a minimum of 150 minutes/week of moderate activity and 75 minutes of vigorous activity or a combination of both moderate and vigorous activities? An easy way to check you are getting enough exercise is to use a pedometer, aim for a minimum of 10 000 steps per day. More steps is beneficial to your health. When I am busy at uni, I ride the exercise bike and catch up on emails or study, so I get my minimum exercise in.
    Moderate exercise is fast walking, light aerobics, swimming.
    Vigorous exercises include aerobics, sports like soccer, basketball, running.
    health.gov/paguidelines/guidelines/chapter4.aspx

Did you know a child brought up in an active household, may stop exercising as a teenager, but most of them will revert to healthy habits in their early 20’s? So let’s set our kids up for a healthy life. My family has fitness challenge Sunday, where all the family participate in the same exercises but at different intensities or repetitions (depending on the individuals fitness). If you have toddlers get them to run on the spot and tickle them in between your sets, or anything that gets them involved, just make it fun, so everyone wants to participate, Dads instead of lifting weights you can lift your toddler up and down! Maybe reward kids with a coin, or picking a movie to watch for the afternoon. Fitness challenges can be held inside or outside. PM if you want a list of exercises.

So what are you doing now? Get to it and exercise :)
    Post edited by Natashapearljamfan on
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Sprunkn7 said:

You are doing great! I haven't gained or lost. I need to try harder to lose :lol:

Ran 3 miles on Tuesday
    Did 250 pushups yesterday (no weights because I don't want to push it too much at first)
    tonight looking at elliptical/stairmaster

Nice! Good for you. Running just wasn't in the cards for me. I often have dreams about running tho. Lol! Sometimes I'm good at it and other times it's like I'm in danger and can't run like my legs just won't lift up and go bahaha it's interesting. That's gone on for years haha.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    I'm just checking in to say I am starting to eat regular now. Though I'm not full on back to normal.
    I got some exercise and nutrition logs for my planner. I don't much care for some of the food log apps.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY said:

I'm just checking in to say I am starting to eat regular now. Though I'm not full on back to normal.
    I got some exercise and nutrition logs for my planner. I don't much care for some of the food log apps.

Good to hear that you are feeling better, RKCNDY :)
    Keep up the hard work everyone, so you can make it a routine and you just automatically do it, the first 3-4 months is the hardest to keep it going, try having goals and reward yourself with new clothes, music, a PJ concert, whatever is going to inspire you to keep going.

In the 4 steps of implementing change if you are doing you are at step 3, step one is procrastinating, step 2 is taking action and planning, step 3 is DOING and step 4 is keep it going. So keep it up.

Today's recipe is: Thai sweet potato soup (serves 4)
    Ingredients:
    2 teaspoons brown sugar
    1 medium onion finely chopped
    1 teaspoon fresh ginger (grated)
    1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
    750 grams diced sweet potato (peeled or unpeeled)
    3/4 cup red lentils
    3 cups salt reduced vegetable stock
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    1 tablespoon fish sauce

Method:
    1. Cook onions in a teaspoon of olive oil and a tablespoon of water until soft, add ginger, curry paste and stir for a minute until fragrant.
    2. Add sweet potato, lentils, stock and 1 cup of water.
    3. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 mins
    4. Cool for 5 mins, using a hand blender puree until at a consistency you like, some people like smooth, but I prefer some chunks still in the soup).
    5. Return to heat and add fish sauce, brown sugar and lime juice.
    6. Serve with green salad or salad sticks (carrots/cucumber/pepper etc), enjoy :)

• ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I want to toss out a potentially premature product review/endorsement.

I have trust issues with tap water, so in an effort to be less of an environmental douche, I picked up a filtered water bottle. I've gone through about 3 of these so far because I don't like the "sport top" squirt bottle style nor do I like the flip top hard straw style. This one has a large spout to fill in (it filters going in rather than as you drink) and I've found that it doesn't leak, doesn't reek of plastic, and the water tastes fine out of it.

The only potential problem i see with it, is if you have a really long or pointy nose, the lid might touch your nose as you drink. It only just misses mine, and I don't think I've ever been accused of having a big nose.

http://www.fittopusa.com I got the little one for myself because I'm never really all that far from a sink or water fountain, but you outdoorsy types may wanna go for the larger capacity.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    ldent42 said:

I want to toss out a potentially premature product review/endorsement.

I have trust issues with tap water, so in an effort to be less of an environmental douche, I picked up a filtered water bottle. I've gone through about 3 of these so far because I don't like the "sport top" squirt bottle style nor do I like the flip top hard straw style. This one has a large spout to fill in (it filters going in rather than as you drink) and I've found that it doesn't leak, doesn't reek of plastic, and the water tastes fine out of it.

The only potential problem i see with it, is if you have a really long or pointy nose, the lid might touch your nose as you drink. It only just misses mine, and I don't think I've ever been accused of having a big nose.

http://www.fittopusa.com I got the little one for myself because I'm never really all that far from a sink or water fountain, but you outdoorsy types may wanna go for the larger capacity.

Thanks for the info ldent! I was disappointed it only goes up to 24oz-I usually prefer 36oz, but the site says it's compatible with other sport bottles. This is great for festivals or stadiums that dint let you bring in your own sealed water bottles, but let you bring in empty water bottles. I will be buying one for sure.

- Christopher McCandless
    It doesn't take much for me to be inspired, but I think I need inspiration. Maybe I should look at running images. My "little train that could" is stuck on Main Street USA.
    Ms. Haiku said:

It doesn't take much for me to be inspired, but I think I need inspiration. Maybe I should look at running images. My "little train that could" is stuck on Main Street USA.

dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3390140/Love-yoga-like-Kate-Upton-running-like-Ellie-Goulding-inspiration-stars-fit-2016.html

Maybe this will help inspire...reading about the celebs getting fit?
    It could be anyone. Someone who recovered from cancer or had open heart surgery, or some time where they went to a very scary place, and made it through, and are living life as curious playful people. That inspires me. Anyone can be a giant in that situation. Someone who thought in words similar to, "no matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead" during her/his ordeal, and then ran a 5K after all was said and done. That would do it. There are a lot of people who are truly awesome out there.

Damn, I should blog. I would inspire someone like me :)