Twenty One Pilots Not Good

KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
edited May 2013 in Other Music
I have been hearing a lot about Twenty One Pilots and apparantly they have a pretty strong folllowing. I have friends in Florida who have seen them live about 10 times. I had some free time at lunch so I checked them out on you tube. Not good at all in my opinion. I have heard them being compared to the Black Keys because they are a duo and I find that insulting to the Black Keys. Maybe it's just me. Thoughts?
Columbus-2000
Columbus-2003
Cincinnati-2006
Columbus-2010
Wrigley-2013
Cincinnati-2014
Lexington-2016
Wrigley 1 & 2-2018

Comments

• evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,102
    edited July 2014
    I just found out about them tonight after catching their performance on Late Night / Seth Meyer's.

I was blown away by the teenage angst they pour out. I thought it was fucking AWESOME! Went straight to their site and bought the album. Been watching their videos all night long (they sure put the energy into their debut album "Vessels" I tell ya) and I have nothing but good things to say. (BUUUUUUUUUUUUUT part of my brain thinks they will develop / have developed a crazy schizophrenic following and there will be murders of young people (and suicides) and their music will be blamed and it'll be a huge gong show and the whole world will go up in flames and Metalocalypse will take over the airwaves; long live Dethklok yay.)
    But other than that - great band great band. haha. They're going to be huge in my opinion. The eminem comparisons, the hate, the risky looking videos and the screaming... ya it'll secure a fan base of dedicated hardcores for sure. It's certainly not for everyone, but what is these days. Some people suffocate themselves to death; so don't tell me "oxygen" cuz that's bullshit.

haha

Glad I searched for "Twenty One Pilots" instead of creating a new thread. - but I shouldn't be too thrilled, because after all, I just sat here and praised them, and the title of this thread is sacrilegious. haha.
    Post edited by evsgjamm on
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Treyert14Treyert14 Louisiana Posts: 924
    edited July 2014
    Going see them live. After that I'll let you know ;)
  • jonsey30jonsey30 Rochester Hills, MI Posts: 998
    Checked them out after hearing Car Radio on the car radio. They have a concert that played on Palladia, and it was awesome. So got the album, and I really like it
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    10/11/13 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    They have a totally different style than Black Keys. Whoever compared them to that band is basing it only on the number of band members. Terrible comparison.

I bought "Vessels" and love it. It's generally pop music but varied in style. "House of Gold" sounds nothing like "Semi-Automatic." They're not the most charismatic duo, and I'm not sure I understand the ski masks, but the live shows look pretty intense and the songs have great hooks.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I haven't heard them, but if they are so bad that it's an insult to compare them to The Black Keys, they must be pretty awful indeed. :D
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jonsey30jonsey30 Rochester Hills, MI Posts: 998
    Completely different sound than Black keys, not sure what that comparison was about.
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    10/11/13 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• Yikes
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    Yeah, they're pretty bad. Or, to not offend, they're not my cup of tea. Aside from being a 2-piece, that's about all they have in common with the Black Keys.
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    They have a pretty big following with College students. I just found out about them at the record store. After I heard them at the store, I went home and checked them out on youtube. I like them, something different about them, may be the lyrics or presentation. I'm actually going to buy some of their music now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywvRgGAd2XI
    Gotta respect a group that has songs built around the ukulele.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDyxykpYeu8
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    I agree with you, OP. To each their own, but I think they're one of the most overrated bands right now. Totally don't get the appeal.

I've even seen a couple songs live at Lolla, while waiting for Lord Huron to begin....did nothing for me either, thought it was pretty terrible. But they have a huge following and that crowd was massive for them, so says a lot. Again, to each their own!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    A Columbus band, they're HUGE here in Ohio. All of my roommates and most if my friends are big fans. The comment about college kids is 100% true.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • I've only heard a few songs but I like them.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • clayton12clayton12 Athens, GA Posts: 321
    No thanks.
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    MedozK said:
    That is awful!
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
    edited December 2015
    That is whats great about art, specifically music. Some really like something, while others think its garbage.

Whats really funny is reading through threads on other music related forums, and how Beatles fans think 'modern' music is horrendous and awful. Or how there hasn't been a good band since Led Zeppelin.

To each their own.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    MedozK said:

That is whats great about art, specifically music. Some really like something, while others think its garbage.

Whats really funny is reading through threads on other music related forums, and how Beatles fans think 'modern' music is horrendous and awful. Or how there hasn't been a good band since Led Zeppelin.

To each their own.

What's really funny is the hyperbolic stereotype in your post. Unlike today's Radio Disney pop, top 50 had SOME substance to it to appeal to more than just swagtards and teen girls like Prince, MJ and George Michael.

MedozK said:

To each their own.

What's really funny is the hyperbolic stereotype in your post. Unlike today's Radio Disney pop, top 50 had SOME substance to it to appeal to more than just swagtards and teen girls like Prince, MJ and George Michael.
    Like I said, to each their own. Enjoy they music you like. I just don't understand why people enjoy hating on music they don't enjoy... I just wouldn't listen to it.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    MedozK said:

MedozK said:

To each their own.

Like I said, to each their own. Enjoy they music you like. I just don't understand why people enjoy hating on music they don't enjoy... I just wouldn't listen to it.
    He speaks the truth!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090

MedozK said:

MedozK said:

To each their own.

He speaks the truth!
    and for what it's worth, I'd like to apologize to Bruce Springsteen, The Grateful Dead and Rush. I don't hate you, really. I just don't listen to you.
    www.cluthelee.com

MedozK said:

MedozK said:

To each their own.

He speaks the truth!
    and for what it's worth, I'd like to apologize to Bruce Springsteen, The Grateful Dead and Rush. I don't hate you, really. I just don't listen to you.
    :lol:
  • JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    samjam said:

I've even seen a couple songs live at Lolla, while waiting for Lord Huron to begin....did nothing for me either, thought it was pretty terrible. But they have a huge following and that crowd was massive for them, so says a lot. Again, to each their own!

Interesting. I basically did the same thing -- got separated from my group, decided to check out a little bit of 21P before heading over to Lord Huron. I ended up staying for their entire set because I enjoyed it so much. Turns out the other 3 guys I was with did the same thing and 2 out of the 3 dug 21P as well. I just turned 45 so I'm definitely not in their target demographic.

You know who else totally killed it unexpectedly at Lolla (at like 12:30 in the afternoon)? BLACK TIGER SEX MACHINE!

https://youtu.be/d0BB_GgEeNc
    JTH said:

samjam said:

Interesting. I basically did the same thing -- got separated from my group, decided to check out a little bit of 21P before heading over to Lord Huron. I ended up staying for their entire set because I enjoyed it so much. Turns out the other 3 guys I was with did the same thing and 2 out of the 3 dug 21P as well. I just turned 45 so I'm definitely not in their target demographic.

You know who else totally killed it unexpectedly at Lolla (at like 12:30 in the afternoon)? BLACK TIGER SEX MACHINE!

https://youtu.be/d0BB_GgEeNc
    I will never understand the appeal of house music. In fact I don't even consider it music. IMO its just video game sounds looped together on a computer.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    It's already been sung but it can't be said enough:

It takes diff'rent strokes to move the world.

https://youtu.be/iAwagCwJj-g
    edited December 2015
    JTH said:

It's already been sung but it can't be said enough:

It takes diff'rent strokes to move the world.

https://youtu.be/iAwagCwJj-g

Haha so true

Thanks Mr Drummond!!!! ;)
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • silent bob is right
    move on if you don't like it and get over yourself when you think your opinion really matters...cause it doesn't :)
    there is no right and wrong answer when it comes to appreciating art
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623

MedozK said:

MedozK said:

To each their own.

He speaks the truth!
    You are to truth what Charlize Theron is to ugly. You can't believe the crap I'm forced against my will to listen to around certain people I know. The rate it's going, there's gonna be nothing but crap whether it's Radio Disney crap or minimalist indie hipster junk because the majority doesn't know any better. I don't care what anyone thinks. If you're a grown ass adult and you listen to Justin,Miley et al you need to seek mental help. There's nearly NOTHING that appeals to 20 and 30 somethings now. Music has to have a new Nirvana or Beatles now to get ride of this Pat Boone and Fabian esque junk. Cliched, but it's true.

silent bob is right
    move on if you don't like it and get over yourself when you think your opinion really matters...cause it doesn't :)
    there is no right and wrong answer when it comes to appreciating art

This entire forum is built on everyone's different opinions and having hopefully respectful conversations on those opinions. If you read my first post you will see that I expressed my opinion and opened the discussion for others to post theirs. If you like 21p, house music, Celine Dion or whatever well good for you. Enjoy it!
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018

You are to truth what Charlize Theron is to ugly.

So, your saying he is correct?
This discussion has been closed.