Options

Donkey Kong Poster Ethical Question

Not sure if it belongs here on the Porch, but really don't know where else to ask this, so here goes(mods,please delete if inappropriate):

Hypothetically, say that out of 20-25 PJ concerts you had attended, there were 2 that just really floored you (Borgata 05 and MSG II 2010), and say you just really wanted both posters but they were hard to find and way overpriced, found one and overpaid a little, can't find the other one and if you could, you couldn't afford it anyway. Hypothetically speaking, if you knew that the elusive poster could be copied, reproduced to look very good, but you made sure it was a little bit different so if you knew what the authentic one looked like you would know the difference, and had no plans on ever selling it, you just wanted to hang it on the wall, and the price was affordable, would it be ethical to have a copy made? I'm just interested in hearing opinions on this.

Flame away!!!
Journey Begins: 1992-08-15, Montage Mountain Performing Arts Center,
Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:

Comments

• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    but you would know in your heart of hearts it was not real and would know that every time you looked at it and feel that void.......that emptiness, go right ahead.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,433
    Slippery slope to start reproducing items like this... too much potential for people to abuse it and mislead people. So I would vote no.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,855
    I'd say it's fine. It's just a copy. Selling it or deceiving someone would obviously be wrong.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,935
    edited October 2015
    If you really love Scarlet Johansen, but you are going out with a girl who looks just like her but it was a mole on her neck, would you dump her because it not the real deal, Knowing you would never score the real Scarlet? Those are the big questions in life.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    Who gives a shit?! Of course it's ethical! There's a fucking replica of Michaelangelo's David standing a few yards away from the original! Do what makes you happy, dude.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

I'd say it's fine. It's just a copy. Selling it or deceiving someone would obviously be wrong.

Agreed. If it's a replica and you plan on keeping it yourself with no intention of selling it I see no problem. Hell, even if you do decide to sell it, as long as you indicate it's a replica and price it accordingly, there's no issue.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Why do you want the poster in the first place? If it's as a memento for the awesome show you went to, I don't think you'd be happy with a replica, no matter how good it is. I don't think you're violating any ethics by reproducing it if you don't make money off it, but I just don't think you'd feel good about it yourself. If it's for the artwork which doesn't sound like it is, then maybe that's an OK solution.

I used to "need" every poster to every PJ show I've ever been to, until one of my best shows ever to date (Oakland 2013) had one of the worst posters I've ever seen and you couldn't pay me to put it in my portfolio, and thus the cycle was broken. Now for me the most important physical mementos of a show are my ticket stub, pictures and the bootleg

:)
  • Options
    maverickmaverick Posts: 1,184
    No no no. And I can't believe people think this is ok...
    1. You already know the proper moral answer - no. If you were confident it wouldn't be wrong, you wouldn't have asked the question. Deep down you already know
    2. And you know the proper ethical answer - no - which is why companies like Staples will or should refuse to make the copy.
    3. Heck I had trouble getting my daughters senior photo on her graduation cake since we didn't take the photo; we had paid a photographer a ton of money, by the way. The image we wanted reproduced was of a family member, not a limited piece of art that is bought and sold for market value, and the canvas was a cake that would be eaten and I had to argue with the store about it.
    Further, there are fakes that exist for a few posters from the past 20 years and it completely destroys the market for collectors of those posters. Showbox 2004, Phoenix 98 are just a couple that come to mind. Once people go this route trust is destroyed for trades and sales of these posters.
    If people go this route, entire collections will be deemed worthless, as people won't know what's real from a copy. This is a slippery slope and I hope people don't do this.
    Finally, and most importantly... How do you think the artists feel about this? Think they would be fine with it? I don't.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    If you want to get a photocopy of the poster made to hang on your own wall, there's nothing wrong with that. I mean it's your wall. It might not be "fair use" but you're not profiting off the artwork so I see no issue. If it doesn't sit well with you, buy another poster/artwork by the same artist and donate it to Wishlist or OYR or something of that nature.

If you were ever going to try to sell or trade the copy as an authentic Kong, that's where you get into unethical territory.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    maverick said:

1. You already know the proper moral answer - no. If you were confident it wouldn't be wrong, you wouldn't have asked the question. Deep down you already know
    2. And you know the proper ethical answer - no - which is why companies like Staples will or should refuse to make the copy.
    3. Heck I had trouble getting my daughters senior photo on her graduation cake since we didn't take the photo; we had paid a photographer a ton of money, by the way. The image we wanted reproduced was of a family member, not a limited piece of art that is bought and sold for market value, and the canvas was a cake that would be eaten and I had to argue with the store about it.
    Further, there are fakes that exist for a few posters from the past 20 years and it completely destroys the market for collectors of those posters. Showbox 2004, Phoenix 98 are just a couple that come to mind. Once people go this route trust is destroyed for trades and sales of these posters.
    If people go this route, entire collections will be deemed worthless, as people won't know what's real from a copy. This is a slippery slope and I hope people don't do this.
    Finally, and most importantly... How do you think the artists feel about this? Think they would be fine with it? I don't.

Let's not get too crazy. He's not talking about charging people to view his reproduction. He's not talking about making quantities of the poster. He's not talking about re-selling. This is something for personal use and enjoyment.

Do any of you who feel this is unethical use a DVR? Ever ripped a CD to MP3s to put on your iPod?

I think this is a non-issue as long as it is strictly for personal use.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Bladamus MaximusBladamus Maximus Paris TN Posts: 277
    Definitely don't think it's unethical. Me personally, I would make the reprint/copy a little smaller. That way, it's obvious it's a "fake", but you still have a decent representation of the original.
    05-06-95 (EV with Mike Watt, Foo Fighters) Chicago
    07-09-95 Milwaukee
    10-07-96 Ft. Lauderdale
    06-29-98 Chicago
    09-22-98 West Palm Beach
    07-19-13 Wrigley Field
    10-14-14 Memphis
    04-26-16 Lexington
    08-20-16 (Wrigley I)
    08-22-16 (Wrigley II)
    08-18-18 (Wrigley I)
    08-20-18 (Wrigley II)
  • Options
    ponner1usponner1us Posts: 736
    What if it is not for resale, as a memento of a show that was great, and is an obvious fake to anyone who knows anything about posters? Such as a black background instead of white?
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    It may be a little more unethical if the artist was still selling the print, but that is not the case. The artist is not being harmed in this case (at least directly).
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    hilarious. we are talking about ethics surrounding a rock band's concert poster.

do what you want.

unethical would be selling one on ebay for a cool $529, advertising it as mint when it was far from it. which is the exact thing that happened to a member just the other day.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    maverick said:

:lol:

people need to get a grip around here, eh?

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    I say as long as you don't start mass producing and selling, you won't be committing copyright infringement and end up with $25k in fees and jail as your home. Avoid that, and you're doing no different than people on here who make their own bootleg "art" using official PJ photos/art.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    SidnumSidnum Posts: 674
    rival. said:

maverick said:

For real.

Serioulsy. If you get a copy made for YOURSELF, that you hang in YOUR house, there is absolutely no harm in that. I would totally do that.

Again, if you're copying and selling(which we all know your aren't) then that's a different story.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,201
    Sidnum said:

rival. said:

maverick said:

For real.

Serioulsy. If you get a copy made for YOURSELF, that you hang in YOUR house, there is absolutely no harm in that. I would totally do that.

Again, if you're copying and selling(which we all know your aren't) then that's a different story.
    no reputable printer is going to copy a copywrighted work like that. if he can do it himself or knows someone personally maybe they do it for him, but taking it somewhere it's probably not going to get done.
  • Options

no reputable printer is going to copy a copywrighted work like that. if he can do it himself or knows someone personally maybe they do it for him, but taking it somewhere it's probably not going to get done.

I'm no patent attorney, but I wouldn't be so sure about that. My last question and then I'll stop, but there are a lot of interesting opinions on this.

What if it was not a "copy" but a print of a jpeg that is in the "public domain?"

Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,710
    Can't help but agree with Maverick above....

The OP clearly has no intention to sell or make money so that's cool but once this starts there's always some asshole who sees the chance to profit ...

The Hartford 98 was copied/reproduced and Raleigh 98. People are now ultra careful around those prints.

For those mocking the 'it's only a rock poster'... Yes it is but it's often something that costs a grand or more. A serious investment so you can deride it all you like but if the fake is made really good ( again this isn't about the OP who presents a different position altogether ) then you are potentially damaging valuable items out there through uncertainty and mistrust in that market

If the reproduction is purposefully made different, then it's a different matter entirely. An attempt to make a product that can double as an original isn't cool to me
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I would say no. Its in a gray area and I would assume the poster artist (Ames Bros) would not be cool with it. Therefore it is no bueno.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,201
    ponner1us said:

I'm no patent attorney, but I wouldn't be so sure about that. My last question and then I'll stop, but there are a lot of interesting opinions on this.

What if it was not a "copy" but a print of a jpeg that is in the "public domain?"

not sure but my best guess is a printer will not do that either. i imagine it is kind of a gray area with a jpeg but i think to protect themselves without permission a printer wouldn't do it.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    arq said:

If you really love Scarlet Johansen, but you are going out with a girl who looks just like her but it was a mole on her neck, would you dump her because it not the real deal, Knowing you would never score the real Scarlet? Those are the big questions in life.

What if you had the mole surgically removed...Damn, you've got yourself Scarlet Johansen... :heart:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    I actually sat on her coat once in a bar and she yelled at me for it. She's not really that hot, by the way.
  • Options
    Scarlet Johansen isn't bad looking, but I don't get the hype, she's not that hot, compared to like Mila Kunis or Natalie Portman.

Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    ponner1us said:

Not sure if it belongs here on the Porch, but really don't know where else to ask this, so here goes(mods,please delete if inappropriate):

Hypothetically, say that out of 20-25 PJ concerts you had attended, there were 2 that just really floored you (Borgata 05 and MSG II 2010), and say you just really wanted both posters but they were hard to find and way overpriced, found one and overpaid a little, can't find the other one and if you could, you couldn't afford it anyway. Hypothetically speaking, if you knew that the elusive poster could be copied, reproduced to look very good, but you made sure it was a little bit different so if you knew what the authentic one looked like you would know the difference, and had no plans on ever selling it, you just wanted to hang it on the wall, and the price was affordable, would it be ethical to have a copy made? I'm just interested in hearing opinions on this.

Flame away!!!

I've often thought about doing this myself, if I needed to. there is no harm in doing it, for the following reasons:

-if you stick to never selling it
    -if its "originality" or "authenticity" doesn't matter to you

for example, there is a promotional item that is nearly impossible to find (Canadian band memoribilia from the 90's is IMPOSSIBLE to find), and so I thought about re-creating it myself. I'd know it isn't original, from their fanclub, etc, but why do I care? I enjoy having the physical item, and looking at the liner notes, so why not?

turns out I contacted the bass player on twitter and asked him, and he said "if you do it, send me a copy too, as I don't even have one! just don't advertize it". I guess he wouldn't want it publicized and the record company find out about it.

it honestly hurts no one.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Don't.
  • Options

Don't.

Uh oh.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833

Don't.