Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,440
    edited October 2015
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

And Neil really did seem like a great mentor. You could see him encouraging them, and you could see them studying him while they are performing, always trying to learn from him (one of them in Willy Nelson's grandson btw, if it hasn't already been mentioned).

Actually, brothers Micah and Lukas Nelson are both playing in the band and they are Willie's sons, not grandsons.
    I'm really looking forward to seeing Neil & Promise of the Real at the Berkeley Greek on Oct. 17!
    Post edited by shecky on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2015
    shecky said:

Actually, brothers Micah and Lukas Nelson are both playing in the band and they are Willie's sons, not grandsons.
    I'm really looking forward to seeing Neil & Promise of the Real at the Berkeley Greek on Oct. 17!

Oh, okay, thanks for the clarification (I think I assumed grandsons because they are quite young and Willie is quite old, lol). This made me look up the band. Seems like Promise of the Real is only 4 guys (Anthony LoGerfo, Corey McCormick, Lukas Nelson, Tato Melgar). Micah Nelson is an extra guitarist apparently, having joined them all for The Monsanto Years and the tour.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,440
    edited October 2015
    Right you are regarding Mikah.
    By the way, "Lucas" and "Micah" were characters on the 1960s' TV western series called "The Rifleman", so maybe Willie liked the show and named his boys after them (with his own spelling of "Lukas") LOL.
    I'm really stoked to be able to hear Neil's latest band play live in Berkeley.
    I had to pass on the Bridge School Benefit shows this year for the first time in many years so I feel very fortunate!
    "Rock and roll can never die!"
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Portland show tonight!

So excited!!! :triumph:
    edited October 2015
    Hobbes said:

Portland show tonight!

:rock_on: Have fun!
    Now I'm jealous of you and Shecky and everyone else to still gets to see him. My time has passed, lol, and I'm already itching to see him again.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    PJ_Soul said:

Hobbes said:

Portland show tonight!

:rock_on: Have fun!
    Now I'm jealous of you and Shecky and everyone else to still gets to see him. My time has passed, lol, and I'm already itching to see him again.
    +1
    I've been going through withdraws since Seattle lol
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Great show in Eugene Thursday! 3+ hours and lots of great songs. 10 minute version of Down By the River was an awesome jam. Played Vampire Blues for the encore, just found out today it was the first time since 1974. Opening act was odd.
    #FHP
    edited October 2015
    Horos said:

Great show in Eugene Thursday! 3+ hours and lots of great songs. 10 minute version of Down By the River was an awesome jam. Played Vampire Blues for the encore, just found out today it was the first time since 1974. Opening act was odd.

What did you get as your opener? We got City and Colour, which was really good, but before that we got a pretty bizarre surprise. This man dress up as an evangelical preacher I guess came on with a misfit choir group and a guy who could sing super well on a keyboard and a guitarist. The choir was dressed as though they'd just found out about this little gig at 4pm that afternoon and had to run out to Value Village and try to find a costume to wear before 6, lol. The only requirement seemed to be that there be gold somewhere on it. The preacher dude preached and sang about Monsanto and shit, and then one of the choir singers stood there and yelled out a bunch of controvercial American shooting victims' names (i.e. Treyvon Martin). This all went on for about 10 minutes. There was no intro or anything. They just walked on stage at around 7:20 and started going. Then City and Colour came and settled the confusion (for most... i have seen some TM reviews where the reviewer thought that Promise of the Real were the opener and Neil's band is just unnamed, lmao). It was really fucking weird. Here is a picture.

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Neil has been know to bring a theatrical element to his shows. with crazy horse it is the giant amps and roadies dressed like construction workers.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

edited October 2015
    lolobugg said:

Neil has been know to bring a theatrical element to his shows. with crazy horse it is the giant amps and roadies dressed like construction workers.

Well before he came on there were also two chicks in overalls with buckets and they threw seed all over the stage, at the crowd, at security, lol, and then some people in hazmat suits came out and they fogged the stage and the crowd with poison (fake, lol). I know Neil is experimental and all... but that pre-pre-show was just REALLY strange and awkward. It was just not prepared. Seemed like Neil dreamed it up like on the ride from the hotel to the venue and made a phone call to the preacher and that's what he came up with in 3 hours, hahaha. It was fun! I like unexpected weird shit!
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    ^^^I take it y'all missed out on the Greendale tour.

It was one of my favorite performances, but the Great Woods audience with whom I saw the show was pretty restless.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    PJ_Soul said:

Horos said:

What did you get as your opener? We got City and Colour, which was really good, but before that we got a pretty bizarre surprise. This man dress up as an evangelical preacher I guess came on with a misfit choir group and a guy who could sing super well on a keyboard and a guitarist. The choir was dressed as though they'd just found out about this little gig at 4pm that afternoon and had to run out to Value Village and try to find a costume to wear before 6, lol. The only requirement seemed to be that there be gold somewhere on it. The preacher dude preached and sang about Monsanto and shit, and then one of the choir singers stood there and yelled out a bunch of controvercial American shooting victims' names (i.e. Treyvon Martin). This all went on for about 10 minutes. There was no intro or anything. They just walked on stage at around 7:20 and started going. Then City and Colour came and settled the confusion (for most... i have seen some TM reviews where the reviewer thought that Promise of the Real were the opener and Neil's band is just unnamed, lmao). It was really fucking weird. Here is a picture.

This choir was the only opener.
    #FHP
    Horos said:

PJ_Soul said:

Horos said:

Only opener in Seattle as well.

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Band o Horses first leg!!! :triumph:
    edited October 2015
    RobbyD462 said:

Horos said:

PJ_Soul said:

Horos said:

Whoa, really? That's lame. They were really unprofessional. I had no idea they were being used as the actual opening act elsewhere. It seemed like they'd just been pulled off the street or something. Well then, I guess I feel pretty lucky to have gotten City and Colour!
    PJ_Soul said:

RobbyD462 said:

Horos said:

PJ_Soul said:

Horos said:

Whoa, really? That's lame. They were really unprofessional. I had no idea they were being used as the actual opening act elsewhere. It seemed like they'd just been pulled off the street or something. Well then, I guess I feel pretty lucky to have gotten City and Colour!
    I thought it was a joke.
    But it was real lol

I'm really ok with missing Dallas Green,
    nothing missed here.

Yep, Got that hippie gospel/revival bullshit in Portland as well. There was no mention of an opener, so when the lights dimmed I was disappointed to see the cast of Rent come out starring Jay Leno as the reverend. What the fuck?!

Neil Young was, is and will forever be phenomenal. Forever (Mr.) Young!
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    I take it that most of youse have never seen any of Neil Young's self directed movies.... weird shit, man.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    I saw Neil in '91 when Social Distortion and Sonic Youth were the opening acts. That was a crazy lineup.
    ^^^^Social D is opening for the Inglewood show.
  • PJ_Soul said:

Horos said:

Looks like the reverend Billy to me. Seen him Nottingham a couple of times. http://www.revbilly.com
    www.gringorecords.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    I'm totally intrigued by these stories about Young's crazy/creative performance extras. I've seen Neil three times and never anything unusual:

1967 with Buffalo Springfield: Nothing unusual, great show.
    1969 with CSNY: Nothing unusual, great show.
    1996 with Crazy Horse: Nothing unusual, great show.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Hobbes said:

Yep, Got that hippie gospel/revival bullshit in Portland as well. There was no mention of an opener, so when the lights dimmed I was disappointed to see the cast of Rent come out starring Jay Leno as the reverend. What the fuck?!

:lol: Right?!
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    As it's his 70th birthday, one of my favourite Neil lyrics seems very appropriate once again...

"People my age, they don't do the things I do"

Amen to that. Happy Birthday Uncle Neil.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    I just picked the new Archive Performance Series disc - 'Bluenote Cafe'. I usually prefer live albums that are taken from 1 complete show (this is taken from 11 different shows) but this is a really solid album. There are 7 unreleased tracks, a 12+ minute Ordinary People and a monster 19+ minute Tonight's The Night.

I always had a soft spot for 'This Note's For You', it's not my favourite Neil era but it was one of his better 80s records. This album reminds a little of the 'A Treasure' live album - the band is really tight and you could tell that they were really into it and not just playing at being a country / blues band just for the sake of it.

Disc 1
    "Welcome to the Big Room"
    "Don't Take Your Love Away From Me"
    "This Note's for You"
    "Ten Men Workin'"
    "Life in the City"
    "Hello Lonely Woman"
    "Soul of a Woman"
    "Married Man"
    "Bad News Comes to Town"
    "Ain't It the Truth"
    "One Thing"
    "Twilight"

Disc 2
    "I'm Goin'"
    "Ordinary People"
    "Crime in the City"
    "Crime of the Heart"
    "Welcome Rap"
    "Doghouse"
    "Fool for Your Love"
    "Encore Rap"
    "On the Way Home"
    "Sunny Inside"
    "Tonight's the Night"

(Tim Rogers)
    edited November 2015
    Also, this is Volume 11 in the Archive Performance Series (we've had Volumes 00, 01, 02, 02.5, 03, 09, 11, and 12 so far); I'm hoping that Volume 13 or 14 will be something from the Booker T & The MGs tour, followed by something from the NeilJam Mirrorball tour.
    Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Oh - something from the Neiljam era :rock_on:
    goldrush said:

I just picked the new Archive Performance Series disc - 'Bluenote Cafe'. I usually prefer live albums that are taken from 1 complete show (this is taken from 11 different shows) but this is a really solid album. There are 7 unreleased tracks, a 12+ minute Ordinary People and a monster 19+ minute Tonight's The Night.

I always had a soft spot for 'This Note's For You', it's not my favourite Neil era but it was one of his better 80s records. This album reminds a little of the 'A Treasure' live album - the band is really tight and you could tell that they were really into it and not just playing at being a country / blues band just for the sake of it.

Disc 1
    "This Note's for You"
    "Ten Men Workin'"
    "Life in the City"
    "Hello Lonely Woman"
    "Soul of a Woman"
    "Married Man"
    "Bad News Comes to Town"
    "Ain't It the Truth"
    "One Thing"
    "Twilight"

Disc 2
    "I'm Goin'"
    "Ordinary People"
    "Crime in the City"
    "Crime of the Heart"
    "Welcome Rap"
    "Doghouse"
    "Fool for Your Love"
    "Encore Rap"
    "On the Way Home"
    "Sunny Inside"
    "Tonight's the Night"

Thanks for the review! I want this, but it's really expensive. What is with Neil's vinyl prices lately??? Holy fuck. He may have his high expectations and good intensions when it comes to good quality sound, but he certainly doesn't have any principles when it comes to making his music financially accessible. Vinyl and concert tix are both sky high price-wise.
    PJ_Soul said:

goldrush said:

Disc 1
    "This Note's for You"
    "Ten Men Workin'"
    "Life in the City"
    "Hello Lonely Woman"
    "Soul of a Woman"
    "Married Man"
    "Bad News Comes to Town"
    "Ain't It the Truth"
    "One Thing"
    "Twilight"

Disc 2
    "I'm Goin'"
    "Ordinary People"
    "Crime in the City"
    "Crime of the Heart"
    "Welcome Rap"
    "Doghouse"
    "Fool for Your Love"
    "Encore Rap"
    "On the Way Home"
    "Sunny Inside"
    "Tonight's the Night"

Thanks for the review! I want this, but it's really expensive. What is with Neil's vinyl prices lately??? Holy fuck. He may have his high expectations and good intensions when it comes to good quality sound, but he certainly doesn't have any principles when it comes to making his music financially accessible. Vinyl and concert tix are both sky high price-wise.
    Yeah, they aren't cheap that's for sure, his web store even has 'Neil Young Greedy Hand General Store" at the top! :) I've only picked up the cd so far, the vinyl will have to wait a little while. This one is a 4 LP set though (Tonight's The Night has a side all to itself) so it doesn't really seem as bad

(Tim Rogers)
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,684
    Saw Neil last night with Promise of the Real in Belfast. This is a awesome show. 3hrs long, great setlist and great band backing him. Sort of reminded me of the Mirrorball tour. Well worth going to see if you get a chance.
    Kearnsy