Options

Pearl Jam to play The Late Show with Stephen Colbert Wednesday Sept 23rd

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    edited September 2015
    To add to the above!!!

Colbert and Vedder went back to back and went down and up like that famous pic of Vedder and Ament. Vedder was excited that Colbert pulled it off.

Also by my side(left McCready's side) the crew went nuts. There were a few fans on the crew!

When Colbert gathered himself he said "you might think the show is done but it's not. I have to do one more thing".

He also was saying that " I can't hear a thing" and the look on his face when the crowd erupted! He wasn't expecting this.

The stage director, not sure what you call him, his face was full of excitement too during and after pj's performance. He had no idea all that was coming!!!

I hope PJ saw all the positive energy and might do small shows every now and again!
  • Options
    Ed sounds great. Band sounds great and tight/powerful, as always. Awesome guitar tones. Rock, rock, rock. And they all look so happy and proud to be kicking ass at 25. LOVE it.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,774
    Wow. Just wow. Band on fire and you people in the crowd brought it big time!!
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    samjam said:

Ok- WHAT a day! Got there with FrankieG around 10:40, ended up being 44th & 45th in line when all was said and done. Great to meet new friends (hi Nicole & SVRDhand13!!), and hang around with some old friends. Waited til 2:30, where they gave us all numbers, and told us to get back on line at 3:30. At this time we should have waited around stage doors to meet Mike & Jeff, but missed out on that. Congrats to all that met them! Such nice guys. I do have some consolation, as I have had the pleasure of meeting both before. Isn't it the best when the people we idolize are incredibly nice, as well? Awesome. Lined up in numerical order at 3:30, where they brought us inside the building and we waited some more, until we were seated. Frankie and I thought we were going to get these prime seats, in a 2nd row seat of 5, but two were roped off, so we were brought to the leftmost side of the 3rd row, which offered us lots of space to rock out and jump around in, which was great! A comedian warmed us up, Stephen came out for a short Q&A, and the show began!

What a treat to be in that audience. We were LOUD!!! I'm pretty sure Colbert's staff was even impressed! It was awesome to have the band being interviewed, was totally not expecting that. MYM was fantastic, sounded great in studio, and even better watching the YouTube vid. Definitely the best the band's sounded on TV in a while, and easily one of the cleanest and best MYM's to date. After a rousing 'ONE MORE SONG!' chant, all parties agreed, and RITFW was unleashed, with Stephen guesting. Everyone was having a blast, there were even members of Colbert's stage staff who were bouncing up and down the whole time with us! It really got me pumped for this Saturday! Can't wait for GCF!!

To add to my review: Equally a treat to hear Sen. Elizabeth Warren speak. She is one amazing woman. Got a standing O from us after her segment, and well deserved! Hugh Evans/Hugh Jackman was a good interview as well. Just to add to the fantasticness that was seeing PJ just OWN that place! I haven't been able to stop thinking about how amazing yesterday was!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    Me either. I can't believe I have a morning concert high from a 2 show set. This fucking band...
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    schappschapp Posts: 160
    Saltzy23 said:

lolobugg said:

Wow........ that was the best PJ televised performance since Dave in 1996. You guys(Suzie, Chris and all the others) really represented the fans well. I loved the chant. Colbert was feeding on the energy. I bet he wishes he had a crowd like that everyday.

I'm telling you, I watched him the whole way as he was walking off the stage after the show ended and he was completely amped. He had no idea that was gonna happen just like everyone else didn't and he definitely got his first good hit of the PJ high. It was so cool to see it. We had to be his favorite crowd so far of the new version of the show.

He had to settle himself down for a few minutes before they recorded the homage to Yogi Berra afterwards, which didn't even air due to how awesome RITFW was.

I wished they cut that lame book joke out, and instead left Yogi Berra's hommage and RITFW in its entirety, but i guess Colbert was too fond of it.

Amazing vibe and crowd, the band rocking it out, Colbert out of his mind... what an awesome experience!
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    edited September 2015
    schapp said:

Saltzy23 said:

lolobugg said:

Wow........ that was the best PJ televised performance since Dave in 1996. You guys(Suzie, Chris and all the others) really represented the fans well. I loved the chant. Colbert was feeding on the energy. I bet he wishes he had a crowd like that everyday.

I'm telling you, I watched him the whole way as he was walking off the stage after the show ended and he was completely amped. He had no idea that was gonna happen just like everyone else didn't and he definitely got his first good hit of the PJ high. It was so cool to see it. We had to be his favorite crowd so far of the new version of the show.

He had to settle himself down for a few minutes before they recorded the homage to Yogi Berra afterwards, which didn't even air due to how awesome RITFW was.

I wished they cut that lame book joke out, and instead left Yogi Berra's hommage and RITFW in its entirety, but i guess Colbert was too fond of it.

Amazing vibe and crowd, the band rocking it out, Colbert out of his mind... what an awesome experience!
    I was thinking about that... I'm not sure in the long run Jon Batiste is the best guy for Colbert to feature in skits. I think the band is great, but you can't just turn a good musician into a comedian.
  • Options
    Saltzy23 said:

Me either. I can't believe I have a morning concert high from a 2 show set. This fucking band...

Still high over here too (which is going to be a problem really soon at work :lol: )
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953

demetrios said:

Stephen & Pearl Jam Perform "Rockin In The Free World"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K_LFVFKZKw

Thank you !!!
    Yes, thank you. Saw MYM last night, but totally missed this. What a great performance.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    So ... got to work a little late today....

:blush:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    dankind said:

:lol:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,846
    I'm still exhausted from yesterday!!!! Nice recaps Sam and tempo_n_groove and nice meeting you yesterday!

I have to admit I did not watch the show last night and will watch the performances later today. I was so tired from standing in line for so many hours and overwhelmed with meeting Mike and Jeff.

Thanks to everyone I met in line who made waiting much more enjoyable that I thought it would be. I figured I would be reading a book or listening to music all day, but instead I got to chat with some great guys.

For months I have been so bitter about having to miss the festival on Saturday, but Colbert more than made up for it. Things just seemed to work out for me, just like in 2008 when I missed the MSG shows but then got in to the Beacon Theatre show.

Have fun on Saturday and be safe everyone. I'll be rocking out at a wedding in PA and look forward to seeing you all at the next Northeast tour (the sooner the better!)

severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    nothinasitseemsnothinasitseems New Jersey Posts: 1,507
    damn, why do i have to have a full time job? :lol: sounds like everyone had an amazing time!
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Hartford
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2024: MSG 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,846

damn, why do i have to have a full time job? :lol: sounds like everyone had an amazing time!

Don't you get vacation days? haha

Seriously, I took off a day from work to wait in a line for seven hours. I was rewarded with two amazing songs and meeting two legends (Mike and Jeff).
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    dankind said:

So glad you made it!!!! I got to work a little late too, but that's because I had to go to the DMV to renew my license. Talk about going from an amazing high to low in a span of 0.5 seconds :lol:

But they were actually very quick, surprisingly, so I'm back on the high again and have a working ID to allow me to consume alcohol on my birthday :D
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    dankind said:

Sorry to read that, but I more than anyone am happy you made the trip!

Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    nothinasitseemsnothinasitseems New Jersey Posts: 1,507
    edited September 2015

Don't you get vacation days? haha

Seriously, I took off a day from work to wait in a line for seven hours. I was rewarded with two amazing songs and meeting two legends (Mike and Jeff).
    not yet apparently. i just started at my new job in may. they're kinda strict with days off. i told them 2 months ago about needing off for GCF when i lucked out on VIP2 tix. :lol: i don't get any vacay til the new year. it sucks, but alas... my vacation days next year will be saved for a north american tour. :smiley:

so excited for everyone yesterday! love seeing all the selfies with mike. wish i could have been there.
    Post edited by nothinasitseems on
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Hartford
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2024: MSG 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,892
    WOw, that was an awesome performance. Thanks to all of you sharing your behind the scenes stories that made me feel like I was actually there.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,060
    Awesome performance. Best performance of MYM I've heard yet.
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    edited September 2015
    samjam said:

samjam said:

Ok- WHAT a day! Got there with FrankieG around 10:40, ended up being 44th & 45th in line when all was said and done. Great to meet new friends (hi Nicole & SVRDhand13!!), and hang around with some old friends. Waited til 2:30, where they gave us all numbers, and told us to get back on line at 3:30. At this time we should have waited around stage doors to meet Mike & Jeff, but missed out on that. Congrats to all that met them! Such nice guys. I do have some consolation, as I have had the pleasure of meeting both before. Isn't it the best when the people we idolize are incredibly nice, as well? Awesome. Lined up in numerical order at 3:30, where they brought us inside the building and we waited some more, until we were seated. Frankie and I thought we were going to get these prime seats, in a 2nd row seat of 5, but two were roped off, so we were brought to the leftmost side of the 3rd row, which offered us lots of space to rock out and jump around in, which was great! A comedian warmed us up, Stephen came out for a short Q&A, and the show began!

What a treat to be in that audience. We were LOUD!!! I'm pretty sure Colbert's staff was even impressed! It was awesome to have the band being interviewed, was totally not expecting that. MYM was fantastic, sounded great in studio, and even better watching the YouTube vid. Definitely the best the band's sounded on TV in a while, and easily one of the cleanest and best MYM's to date. After a rousing 'ONE MORE SONG!' chant, all parties agreed, and RITFW was unleashed, with Stephen guesting. Everyone was having a blast, there were even members of Colbert's stage staff who were bouncing up and down the whole time with us! It really got me pumped for this Saturday! Can't wait for GCF!!

To add to my review: Equally a treat to hear Sen. Elizabeth Warren speak. She is one amazing woman. Got a standing O from us after her segment, and well deserved! Hugh Evans/Hugh Jackman was a good interview as well. Just to add to the fantasticness that was seeing PJ just OWN that place! I haven't been able to stop thinking about how amazing yesterday was!

I'm still exhausted from yesterday!!!! Nice recaps Sam and tempo_n_groove and nice meeting you yesterday!

I have to admit I did not watch the show last night and will watch the performances later today. I was so tired from standing in line for so many hours and overwhelmed with meeting Mike and Jeff.

Thanks to everyone I met in line who made waiting much more enjoyable that I thought it would be. I figured I would be reading a book or listening to music all day, but instead I got to chat with some great guys.

For months I have been so bitter about having to miss the festival on Saturday, but Colbert more than made up for it. Things just seemed to work out for me, just like in 2008 when I missed the MSG shows but then got in to the Beacon Theatre show.

Have fun on Saturday and be safe everyone. I'll be rocking out at a wedding in PA and look forward to seeing you all at the next Northeast tour (the sooner the better!)

I still can't get over how awesome that show was! So thankful for the ticket Sam and for the great time hanging out in line with you both!
    Post edited by FrankieG on
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    Saltzy23 said:

I'm getting a "contact high" just from reading all the recaps! Thanks for sharing. Thanks to the fans and the band for blowing the roof off. And loved the fan in the front row who kept throwing up the rock/devil horns.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    They are going to kill on Saturday :skull:
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    I have watched the RIFW video about 10 times now haha.

I think the beginning is the best part. With the audio coming in prior to any video, you can tell they weren't planning for this! Comparing the CBS video to the fan recording, they did splice the audio from directly after MYM to make it seem like it was a quick start on the 2nd song. But that edit definitely makes it better!

I could watch 0:11 to 0:16, when Stephen does the little "go for it, roll it" signal with his hand hahaha

I'm so glad Eddie gave us (the crowd) the 2 lines to sing before the last verse, we definitely proved 95% of the audience was there for PJ!

At 4:39 when Eddie and Stephen go back to back was so cool and you can tell Eddie was excited Stephen was able to do it.

I think Stephen started to wonder "when is this song gonna end" around 5 min, but that's the magic of Pearl Jam's ability to play extended jams :D
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    It was so great to go to bed smiling after watching the show last night, and even better to look forward to finding the extended clip on-line this morning (which I've watched five times.) Great performance by a wonderful band who reminded last night why exactly it is that I love them so.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

It was so great to go to bed smiling after watching the show last night, and even better to look forward to finding the extended clip on-line this morning (which I've watched five times.) Great performance by a wonderful band who reminded last night why exactly it is that I love them so.

Yep. Couldn't sleep thinking it was coming on.

Say it again...... I love this band. And they represented. Have forwarded RITFW clip to friends.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    KartsKarts Posts: 116
    Has Ed stopped smoking? Or maybe vocal training? Something is up here, that voice was the old school weapon it once was.
  • Options
    yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    Wow, theses reviews are awesome !! Sounds like everyone had a blast. I'm going to wait till I get home to watch the videos and the show recording on my tv. I'm seriously jealous of everyone who made it and who are going to the festival.

Love this band...
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

Second row. What a day.

Hell yeah! Nice meeting you in line today!!!
    wait what! I was standing right next to him in line! How did I miss you?!?!
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

Second row. What a day.

You can't miss me… 6' tall, long hair in a ponytail and braided beard...
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190

ldent42 said:

Second row. What a day.

You can't miss me… 6' tall, long hair in a ponytail and braided beard...
    You can't miss Chris. THE fucking man from Strong Island NY

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore