Options

RUSH R40

mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,691
have been reading stellar reviews. Will find out tonight if they were just blowing smoke!!(not likely)
_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Comments

• Options
    halvhalv Posts: 678
    edited June 2015
    Rush are always killer live. Those guys are ageless. Sad to think this might be the last time I'll see them live. Make sure to post a review.
  • Options
    Well all the newspaper reviews were spot on. They started with the latest music and worked their way backwards to the begining. Cool videos and they had 4 or 5 guys in red overalls changing the steampunk stuff to thecwashing machines.

At an hour they took a break for 20 to reset the stage with walls of amps . Then those guys kept deconstructing the stage throughout the show. Each time they moved something it reduced the stage presence til they were left with single amp for Geddy and one for Alex.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Note the band has said possible last major tour. Not they are quitting. Would still make music and go out for short stints.

• Options
    petrimppetrimp Finland Posts: 161
    Alex said on some interview that they might do smaller "tours" after this last tour. Like do shows for couple of weeks and take a longer breaks in-between. Well at least he had this vision, not sure how the rest of band feels about it. Dunno, it surely would be a shame to see Rush quit completely but then again they would deserve their "retirement", I think.

I feel fortunate to have seen them live back in 2007. It was a killer three hour show :joy: During Far Cry the guitar amp blew up (almost literally when the lyrics go "you can almost see the circuits blowing"). As professionals as they are, they carried on with the song with just drums and bass having a small break afterwards till the amp was fixed :smiley:
    hearts and thoughts they fade, fade away...
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    My favorite non U.S. band of all time. Saw them get their Walk of Fame star in Hollywood with Billy Corgan giving the speech. Neil was a no show but the other two were there.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    At the end of the show Monday night, Geddy said "We hope to see you again sometime." Definitely not their last tour as many have speculated. I'd go with the smaller tour theory.

I've been to every tour since Test For Echo and I'd have to say this one, as of right now, is my favorite! One hell of a show! Geddy sounded the best he has in probably the last 4 tours.

FUCKIN XANADUUUUUUU!!!!!
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122

At the end of the show Monday night, Geddy said "We hope to see you again sometime." Definitely not their last tour as many have speculated. I'd go with the smaller tour theory.

I've been to every tour since Test For Echo and I'd have to say this one, as of right now, is my favorite! One hell of a show! Geddy sounded the best he has in probably the last 4 tours.

FUCKIN XANADUUUUUUU!!!!!

I've seen 50 shows of RUSH up and down the east coast since the Grace Under Pressure tour. Of those 50 I've heard him say that line *we hope to see you again sometime* 75% of the times after shows if not more. Bristow, VA and the Capital Centre and venues I've seen the band way too many times and maybe in the future they'll play clubs like how U2 played a club in Cali.

My 50th show was the most emotional of all of them and if I never see them again live, that will be fine with me.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    i caught the show in atlanta and i thought it was really cool. I'm not a huge fan but still enjoyed the songs i did not know.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    g under p said:

FUCKIN XANADUUUUUUU!!!!!

I've seen 50 shows of RUSH up and down the east coast since the Grace Under Pressure tour. Of those 50 I've heard him say that line *we hope to see you again sometime* 75% of the times after shows if not more. Bristow, VA and the Capital Centre and venues I've seen the band way too many times and maybe in the future they'll play clubs like how U2 played a club in Cali.

My 50th show was the most emotional of all of them and if I never see them again live, that will be fine with me.

Peace
    Did you come up for Bristow this year or did you catch them in Tampa? I can't recall where you mentioned in the Rush thread. I opted for Columbus just because I hate getting in & out of Nissan (or Jiffy Lube whatever it is now). Rather a 4 hour drive than sit for an hour and drive for 2 1/2, haha! Really wanted to catch them in Toronto, but it wasn't in the cards.
  • Options

g under p said:

FUCKIN XANADUUUUUUU!!!!!

Peace
    Did you come up for Bristow this year or did you catch them in Tampa? I can't recall where you mentioned in the Rush thread. I opted for Columbus just because I hate getting in & out of Nissan (or Jiffy Lube whatever it is now). Rather a 4 hour drive than sit for an hour and drive for 2 1/2, haha! Really wanted to catch them in Toronto, but it wasn't in the cards.
    I wanted to go to Bristow with my daughter who attends U of MD. However, I settled for Tampa and that was enough due to too much work/exhaustion. You are so correct about getting out of J Lube what a nightmare. It's gotten much better but once after a Tina Turner concert I spent 3.5 hours in that parking lot. I didn't get home till almost 4 in the morning, I thought I was going to lose my mind. The key now in parking there is where you park in the beginning. I always get there early and park near or on the pathways out when it's time to leave. I haven't had any trouble in the last years going there even on sold out shows. ANY shows in Canada is a dream, lucky to that once 25 years ago. It would be sweet they could come back FL and come to South Florida and enjoy the warmth in the fall/winter.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Another band I can't get into. Dead, Springsteen, Rush. Yikes! Good for you guys though. The band sounds like they have dedicated fans.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,031
    Tonights the night!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    I've seen them a bunch- at the risk of repeating myself- over the span of four decades.

I was going to pass on them this time around, but reading this and the other thread has made me question this decision. My buddy's going and wants me to go as well. It's a road trip though (if it was in my city I'd obviously go).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

I've seen them a bunch- at the risk of repeating myself- over the span of four decades.

I was going to pass on them this time around, but reading this and the other thread has made me question this decision. My buddy's going and wants me to go as well. It's a road trip though (if it was in my city I'd obviously go).

make the trip. its worth it. fitting and to me touching way they are doing it this time.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

make the trip. its worth it. fitting and to me touching way they are doing it this time.
    I'm giving it some serious thought.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I've made it to every tour since RTB in 1991. I cannot wait for Boston (and maybe Philly) next week. So psyched!
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Holy shit! They made the RS cover! I wish I was kidding. Pinch me.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,816

Another band I can't get into. Dead, Springsteen, Rush. Yikes! Good for you guys though. The band sounds like they have dedicated fans.

i was into them a bit in the 90's, during their unfortunate "Roll The Bones" let's-try-incorporating-rap phase. I listened to their back catalogue, mainly because two of my musician friends liked them. but could never get really into them. geddy's voice always kind of grated on me a bit.

but his nephews band, Dearly Beloved (also a bass player/vocalist) is one of my current favourites. saw them open for Juliette Lewis and was hooked. Wasn't until later I found out he and Geddy were related.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,031
    Set list from last night in Detroit:

SET 1

The Anarchist
    Clockwork Angels
    Headlong Flight
    Far Cry
    The Main Monkey Business
    One Little Victory
    Animate
    Roll The Bones
    Distant Early Warning
    Subdivisions

SET 2

Tom Sawyer
    Red Barchetta
    The Spirit of Radio
    Jacob's Ladder
    Cygnus X-1 Book Two: Hemispheres - Prelude
    Cygnus X-1 Book One - The Voyage: Part 1
    Drum Solo
    Cygnus X-1 Book One - The Voyage: Part 3
    Closer To The Heart
    Xanadu
    2112 Overture/The Temples of Syrinx/Presentation/Grand Finale

ENCORE

Lakeside Park
    Anthem
    What You're Doing
    Working Man

My first Rush show and it was awesome! These guys are incredible live!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options

• Options

Holy shit! They made the RS cover! I wish I was kidding. Pinch me.

NO WAY, are you serious? That's like when they got into that hideous place the RRHOF. That's a rare copy of RS I have to get, even though I don't much like the mag anymore.

Peace

• Options

Let's face it RUSH is not for everyone. They are of a music genre that they rule progressive ROCK with one of the most unique voices in music. Even those who hate/dislike them and usually will commend them on the musicianship. ALL three are among the BEST in the instruments they play, they are the best live and dependable. In the 50 shows I've seen I've NEVER EVER been disappointed.....yes some-no many shows stood out than others but in the end they have been top notch entertainment.

Peace

• Options
    g under p said:

Let's face it RUSH is not for everyone. They are of a music genre that they rule progressive ROCK with one of the most unique voices in music. Even those who hate/dislike them and usually will commend them on the musicianship. ALL three are among the BEST in the instruments they play, they are the best live and dependable. In the 50 shows I've seen I've NEVER EVER been disappointed.....yes some-no many shows stood out than others but in the end they have been top notch entertainment.

Peace

yeah, I think that's why a lot of Pearl Jam fans in particular can't get into them, as PJ's live spontaneity is one of the x factors that draws people to them. for instance, I love the Eagles music, but live, they are statues playing the music so intricately similar to the records, why bother? it doesn't even seem like a live experience. but they are incredible musicians. like rush. you can't beat 8 arms.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    True, however why I can love both PJ and RUSH is that it comes down to the music their lyrics and how it's all presented to the fans. Yes one of the knocks of RUSH is that they never really change their setlist however on their R30 and R40 tours also some other ones they've played set A+B.

I've been around music all my life with my father being a sound system engineer and concert promoter in Jamaica. So I'm attracted to lighting and SOUND, RUSH are the best at this at their concerts. I love PJ in the same breath in that they appear not to put such importance into those to aspects of the concert package. Just down to earth musicians giving their fans all that they have on stage.

Peace

• Options
    g under p said:

True, however why I can love both PJ and RUSH is that it comes down to the music their lyrics and how it's all presented to the fans. Yes one of the knocks of RUSH is that they never really change their setlist however on their R30 and R40 tours also some other ones they've played set A+B.

I've been around music all my life with my father being a sound system engineer and concert promoter in Jamaica. So I'm attracted to lighting and SOUND, RUSH are the best at this at their concerts. I love PJ in the same breath in that they appear not to put such importance into those to aspects of the concert package. Just down to earth musicians giving their fans all that they have on stage.

Peace

yeah, I totally get why people love rush. for sure.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

g under p said:

Peace

yeah, I think that's why a lot of Pearl Jam fans in particular can't get into them, as PJ's live spontaneity is one of the x factors that draws people to them. for instance, I love the Eagles music, but live, they are statues playing the music so intricately similar to the records, why bother? it doesn't even seem like a live experience. but they are incredible musicians. like rush. you can't beat 8 arms.

Creedence>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Eagles. The Dude will abide to this.
  • Options

g under p said:

Peace

Creedence>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Eagles. The Dude will abide to this.
    don't know much about CCR's live show. But aren't they a caricature of their former selves?

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Let me just reiterate: PJ and Rush are my 1a and 1b.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Toronto night 2. Filming this one too. I haven't looked up set lists but are they sticking largely to the one?