The Glamour & The Squalor coloured vinyl soundtrack

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
edited April 2021 in The Porch

YGXFG48jpg

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gla ... ntary-film

Check out the video. Ed cameo, well on the phone.

Post edited by demetrios on

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    *bump

http://kck.st/17vt2KG

56 hours to go

LET'S DO THIS!!! :D
    The goal has been met!!! :D

Now ...

At $70,000, we'll be able to afford the never-before-seen archive footage we've accumulated but need to license.

At $125,000 we'll be able to pay for the perfect music to go along with the film.

Some new never before heard PJ tunes on this would be wicked!! :angel:

rvVax7h.jpg?1

OK Mouseketeers, Come on! We can do it!!!
    $55,594 pledged of $50,000 goal

Sweet! 8-)

*crossing fingers some PJ or PJ member contributes some music to the soundtrack :angel:
    demetrios wrote:
    *crossing fingers some PJ or PJ member contributes some music to the soundtrack :angel:

AH YEAH!!! :D

3PAUT0c.jpg?1

From The Glamour & The Squalor! An announcement we’d like to make exclusive to our Kickstarter backers (you’ll see a more formal announcement down the road) is that Pearl Jam’s Mike McCready, one of the best guitar players in the history of rock, will be scoring the film. We’re so honored that Mike is a part of the team and so excited for what is sure to be a beautifully composed score!

BWh0AcD.jpg
    @glamoursqualor

Tickets are ON SALE NOW for our benefit show at EMP on Friday, Oct 11th. Get your tickets soon before they sell out. Capacity is limited to 400.

Please join us for an evening of local music curated by Marco Collins and an exclusive sneak peak from The Glamour & The Squalor documentary film. This will be the only opportunity to preview scenes from the film before it premieres in 2014. Doors open at 6pm and show begins at 7pm.

Featuring Live Performances From:

*Mary Lambert
    *The Young Evils
    *Fences (feat. Jen Ghetto of Carissa's Wierd)
    *Sean Nelson (The Long Winters/Harvey Danger)
    *RA Scion & Daniel Blue (motopony)
    *IG88
    *DJ Action Jackson (Fly Moon Royalty)

Plus very special guests that we can't announce quite yet...

Support independent film and music!

Get tix here: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/8340194747/efblike
    *bump

There are still tickets left for our benefit on Oct. 11 at EMP to support the completion of the film! Pls join us for an evening of music curated by Marco Collins and an exclusive sneak peak of the film!

http://glamoursqualor.eventbrite.com/
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    So awesome! Can't wait to see this movie!!
    Project Update #20: Update!

Hello Kickstarter!

We realize it’s been a little quiet on our end and can imagine you must be getting a little antsy to see the film. You’re telling us! We continue to pour our hearts into making The Glamour & The Squalor the best it can possibly be. This film deserves to be special…for Marco, for you, for all of us. We’re committed to making it great and not compromising the quality just to get it released.

The more it comes together the more we realize what we have and that it has a chance to be a rare and important story. The film continues to get better every single day. With so much accumulated footage and the numerous layers of storytelling that exist in our narrative, we continue to be patient and smart while constructing the story. On each pass, we challenge ourselves to take it up a notch. We can promise it will be worth the wait.

The terrific documentary filmmaker Lucy Walker (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1013671/) may have put it best when discussing her fullproof editing process: “1. Index cards. 2. Edit. 3. Screen. 4. Feedback. 5. Break. Repeating that sequence over and over and over and over again is the process for taking films from terrible to good to great to excellent to phenomenal.” Phenomenal, of course, is what we’re working towards.

There are some very exciting things happening behind the scenes that we can’t wait to share as soon as we’re able.

Things we can share: Last week we put the finishing touches on the beautiful score by Composer and Pearl Jam guitarist McCready…
    Director Mark Evans & Composer Mike McCready working on the score in Seattle last week.Director Mark Evans & Composer Mike McCready working on the score in Seattle last week.

…and our animation is scheduled to be complete by this Friday.
    Animation screenshotAnimation screenshot

Thanks to you all for your patience and continued support of this project. We’re moving forward every day and really proud of what we’ve created. We truly can’t wait for the day we get to share it will all of you.

Sincerely,

Mark Evans
    Director
    evans.mark.m@gmail.com
    An Update on Our Progress

Hello Kickstarter Friends,

It’s been a while since we’ve updated you on the progress of The Glamour & The Squalor so we wanted to take this opportunity to let you know where we’re at with the film.

We’re currently working through the second rough cut of the movie and we’re feeling so great about it. About 45 days ago we had a first rough cut that we sent out to many people in the film and music industries for notes. We were fortunate to have the cut viewed by many amazing artists that we respect immensely and the feedback provided has taken the film to new heights.

Although the consensus was overwhelmingly positive and confirmed we have something special, clear opportunities to improve the film were uncovered. We’ve spent the last month taking these suggestions into consideration in a continued effort to make this film everything it deserves to be.

A major addition to the film is building out Marco’s contemporary story as he reinvents himself in a music industry that is changing by the second. In order to capture this storyline in as cinematic way as possible, we’ve undertook an additional production slate to follow him along in this journey. We’ll be capping this off by filming his “TAG 2.0” show on August 21st at Chop Suey. (You can purchase tickets here for not only a great concert but also an opportunity to be in the film http://www.strangertickets.com/events/16493810/tag-20-a-marco-collins-experiment).

With the latest developments in mind, we now expect the film to be released in 2015. Our goal is still to premier the film at a major film festival and the submission deadlines for these festivals are months in advance. We’re planning on 5 weeks of editing after the August shoot, then an additional month worth of sound mixing and color correction. At that point, we should be ready to submit the film to festivals for the early 2015 circuit.

We know how anxious you all are to see the movie. We can feel it and share that excitement and thank you all so much for the continued support. We wish we were writing this update to share with you the date of our premier, but there’s still more work to be done and we’re committed to giving you nothing less than an amazing film.

Please feel free to reach out any time if you’d like to chat about the film. Thank you for being the rock stars you are.

Sincerely,

Mark Evans,
    Director of The Glamour & The Squalor.
    Wonder what the status is on this one. And Mike McCready's score to the soundtrack.

https://www.facebook.com/glamoursqualorfilm is still running.
    Their official site has expired .. http://glamoursqualorfilm.com/ .

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/glamoursqualorfilm/the-glamour-and-the-squalor-a-documentary-film/posts/1134043

Big Announcements are Coming!

Hello friends & fans,

It’s been a while since we’ve posted an update here. The team has been heads down working on finishing the film so we can share it with you all. It’s been a long and emotional haul, and we wouldn’t have been able to do it without your support throughout. We’re happy to say that we are putting some finishing touches on the film and will be premiering this year. We're not allowed to divulge any dates or events yet, but expect to rock out with us this summer!

Until then, we leave you with this exclusive bonus scene that didn’t quite make it into the film:

Really love the music that's being played in the background. Air - Alone In Kyoto
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Sweet. This doc looks really good.
    I remember 107.7 The End starting up. It was a really big deal up in the Vancouver area, because we had nothing like it at the time, everyone wanted it, but it was SO hard to get the signal! When we actually managed to get it on the car radio it was a story for our friends, lol. It was like we were proud that our radio actually picked up The End. :tongue:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • thebrigthebrig Posts: 394
    PJ_Soul said:

Sweet. This doc looks really good.
    I remember 107.7 The End starting up. It was a really big deal up in the Vancouver area, because we had nothing like it at the time, everyone wanted it, but it was SO hard to get the signal! When we actually managed to get it on the car radio it was a story for our friends, lol. It was like we were proud that our radio actually picked up The End. :tongue:

I worked at The End in a couple of different capacities in the very early and late 2000's. Growing up as a teenager in the 90's in Seattle, it was the standard bearer for music. Marco was a massive part of that. Once he moved on they lost some of the magic and the station wasn't quite the same. Still tune in from time to time, but back during his run there, that station was a beacon.
    Mantis-2.gif
    *update

https://www.facebook.com/glamoursqualorfilm

Friends & Fans,

The time we've all been waiting for has finally arrived. We are thrilled to announce that The Glamour & The Squalor will have its World Premier on June 3, 2015 at the Seattle International Film Festival!

This film is 2.5 years in the making and it is safe to say it wouldn't have been completed without the amazing support group that each of you represent. The process was filled with ups and downs (and the occasional screaming match) but the excitement and passion you all showed about the movie always kept us going.

We couldn't be more excited to first share this film with our friends in Seattle. We flirted with other festivals, but it just wouldn't have been right to premier anywhere else. Please join us on Wednesday, June 3, at 7:00 at the Egyptian Theatre and celebrate with us immediately following the Q&A at Neumos for a live concert with great local bands and special guests. Tickets can be purchased by clicking the link below.

Please help us share the news on your social media and include ‪#‎tgtsfilm‬.

We hope to see every single one of you there as we sell-out both venues! Thank you for backing us and we can't wait for you to see this film.

Sincerely,

The Glamour & The Squalor crew

#TGTSfilm ‪#‎SIFF2015‬

http://www.siff.net/festival-2015/glamour-and-the-squalor
    @Mike McCready

Mike is thrilled to announce that The Glamour and the Squalor - Documentary Page, which he scored, will Premier at SIFF (Egyptian Theatre) on June 3 at 7pm followed by a live concert with great local bands at Neumos Seattle. Tickets here: http://www.siff.net/festival-2015/glamour-and-the-squalor

‪#‎TGTSfilm‬ ‪#‎SIFF2015‬
    Latest newsletter .. :)

World Premier!
    Posted by The Glamour & The Squalor

Friends & Fans,

The time we've all been waiting for has finally arrived. We are thrilled to announce that The Glamour & The Squalor will have its World Premier on June 3, 2015 at the Seattle International Film Festival! This film is 2.5 years in the making and it is safe to say it wouldn't have been completed without the amazing support group that each of you represent. The process was filled with ups and downs (and the occasional screaming match) but the excitement and passion you all showed about the movie always kept us going.

We couldn't be more excited to first share this film with our friends in Seattle. We flirted with other festivals, but it just wouldn't have been right to premier anywhere else. Please join us on Wednesday, June 3, at 7:00 at the Egyptian Theatre and celebrate with us immediately following the Q&A at Neumos for a live concert with great local bands and special guests. Tickets can be purchased by clicking the link below.

Please help us share the news on your social media and include ‪#‎tgtsfilm‬. We hope to see every single one of you there as we sell-out both venues! Thank you for backing us and we can't wait for you to see this film.

Sincerely,

#TGTSfilm ‪#‎SIFF2015‬

http://www.siff.net/festival-2015/glamour-and-the-squalor
    Tickets on sale now for June 5, 2015 Harvard Exit @ 4:15 PM added.

New Marco Collins Playlist!

In anticipation of our WORLD PREMIERE on June 3 in Seattle, Marco has prepared a 474 song(!), 31 hour (!!) 'The Glamour & The Squalor' playlist of songs that influenced the film in some way...songs that Marco helped break back in the day and new Seattle bands he's into now. Enjoy!

https://open.spotify.com/user/marcocollins/playlist/2aWwlFmzHIr7AH8UNUnX3v

The Glamour & The Squalor: Distribution

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/glamoursqualorfilm/the-glamour-and-the-squalor-distribution?ref=newest

Pledge $1 or more

Pledge What You Want!

For just $1 or more, you'll receive an 11x17 limited edition poster of The Glamour & The Squalor EXCLUSIVE to this Kickstarter campaign!

Estimated delivery: Aug 2015
    Ships anywhere in the world

$16 shipped to Canada
    edited June 2015
    The posters! :)

• thebrigthebrig Posts: 394
    Pledged. Marco was an integral part of growing up in Seattle in the 90's. His mark on music is undeniable and he is an amazing guy. Missed out on tix to the movie on Wednesday night but hopeful that I get a chance to see this distributed in some way/shape/form.
    Mantis-2.gif
    edited June 2015
    Film premieres tonight at the Egyptian Theater. Then ..

http://neumos.com/events/the-glamour-the-squalor-premiere-party-ft-sir-mix-a-lot/

The Glamour & The Squalor Premiere Party
    ft. Sir Mix-A-Lot + Cataldo + Hobosexual + Ayron Jones + Ruler. Hosted by Adra Boo.
    edited June 2015
    http://mynorthwest.com/874/2768925/Legendary-Seattle-DJ-Marco-Collins-is-the-subject-of-the-new-SIFF-film-The-Glamour-and-the-Squalor

Legendary Seattle DJ Marco Collins is the subject of the new SIFF film 'The Glamour and the Squalor' By Rachel Belle, Ron and Don Show Reporter

In 1991, Seattle's Marco Collins was the first DJ in the country to play Nirvana. He was the first to play a Pearl Jam song.

"We were just able to really forge a path in breaking a lot of artists nationally, even internationally," Marco says. "Beck being one of the artists that we broke, "Loser." Garbage, The Presidents of the United States. We were the first station to play the Foo Fighters, Prodigy. Weezer, I was the first person to play Weezer."

Marco was a DJ and music director at 107.7 The End. But about eight years in he started partying hard, hanging out with Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love and the other Seattle grunge rockers he befriended through his show.

"I sort of believed that I was kind of a rock star and I lived that lifestyle. My rule was, I have to be in bed by noon so that I could sleep from noon to six, wake up, be on the air by seven. Very little show prep, I kind of lived the show prep. It was crazy, that was a really crazy time. That really was the beginning of the unraveling, the beginning of the squalor."

The Glamour and the Squalor is the name of a new documentary about Marco Collins' rise and fall, and everything in between, And after several years of production, the film is finally debuting at SIFF on Wednesday.

"It's the fastest selling film this year at SIFF, which shocked me. We didn't even have time to tell our friends to buy tickets."

If you were into the 90's music scene, you will recognize everyone in this film.

"Carrie Brownstein from Portlandia, Sleater-Kinney," lists Marq Evans, the film's director. "Mike McCready, from Pearl Jam, not only is in the movie but scored the film too. There's a great interview we found with Kurt Cobain talking about, I don't want to spoil it, but talking about Marco and the End. That's a great little scene with Marco and Kurt. Patty Schemel from Hole, Matt Pinfield from MTV days, Shirley Manson from Garbage."

One of the other things the film highlights is Marco's eventual coming out.

"I just didn't feel comfortable coming out in the 90's. At that time I felt like it was career suicide. So coming out, for me, has been many stages. And now I really don't care who knows. But I do regret not having come out earlier because there were so many people that found out that I was gay who wrote me and said, 'Man, if we had only known that when we were kids, you were our hero, it really could have maybe helped us.' That's one of the biggest regrets I have."

Marco did not agree to do the film right away. He's trying to move forward, not go back.

"A radio company that I worked for in Sacramento asked me to do the Resurrection Show. And I was like, 'Hell no! I'm not being typecast as the resurrection guy!' And they were like, 'What if we give you a new music show, back-to-back?' And I'm like, 'Done!' I can tell stories for days about the 90's, the stuff that I can remember. But the new music is really where my heart's at, where my passion is. If you looked at what my playlist is, on my phone right now, nothing on this says 90's at all. It's just not where I'm at."
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Any word on a wider release? A soundtrack? Is he currently hosting a radio show?
    Hobbes said:

Any word on a wider release? A soundtrack? Is he currently hosting a radio show?

Not sure. Would love a vinyl release of Mike's score.

"The Glamour & The Squalor is raising funds to distribute the film throughout the world." https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/glamoursqualorfilm/the-glamour-and-the-squalor-distribution?ref=newest . 7 day's left on their Kickstarter Campaign
    TGTS Updates!

Hello Kickstarter friends,

As most of you know, we world premiered the film on Wednesday at the Egyptian Theatre in Seattle as part of the Seattle International Film Festival. The evening was absolutely amazing and filled with so much emotion and joy. We saw many of you at the premiere and appreciate your support so much. A standing ovation?! Incredible. Here are some pictures from the red carpet and after party:

Red Carpet/Q&A:
    https://flic.kr/s/aHsk9PvjCq

After Party:
    https://flic.kr/s/aHskdgXVTA

There is another screening tonight at the Harvard Exit and we're proud to announce the film will be making its Los Angeles premiere on July 12 as part of Outfest, the world's largest LGBT film festival. Check out the digital guide that includes a great writeup about the film:
    http://issuu.com/outfest/docs/2015_outfestlosangeles_filmguide_fi?e=1263115/13170842

We're having conversations with other festivals around the world and distributors about getting the film released wide.

Our goal is to have the film released by the end of the year, and qualifying backers will receive their copy of the film then. We can't wait to deliver that to you, whether it's the digital or physical version. If there are any rewards you're still waiting on beyond your copy of the film, please let us know. We've done our best to fulfill the rewards but know there are likely still some that are unfulfilled so we'd like to take care of that as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience that allowed us to get the film finished.

If you'd like to help expedite the release and ensure we are able to show the film to the widest audience possible, there are a few things that would really help us out:

1. Please consider donating to our new Kickstarter campaign that is helping fund distribution. This will pay for expenditures like marketing, pr, festivals and licensing the final music in perpetuity. We're offering one reward and it is "pledge what you want" starting at just $1. You'll receive a limited edition The Glamour & The Squalor poster created exclusively for this campaign (pictured below). You can read more about our campaign here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/glamoursqualorfilm/the-glamour-and-the-squalor-distribution

2. Rate us on IMDB if you've seen the film. This data helps show distributors that we're a film an audience likes and wants to see. You can rate us here:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2817294/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

3. Join our mail list to stay up to date on all things "Glamour" at glamoursqualorfilm.com

Thank you so much for all the support you have shown over the past 2 years. This film wouldn't have gotten made without you. Let's take it to the world!

Sincerely,

• moyboymoyboy Posts: 131
    edited June 2015
    > Any word on a wider release? A soundtrack? Is he currently hosting a radio show?

> Not sure. Would love a vinyl release of Mike's score.

... hey everyone. i am the music supervisor for the film. :0) I should have come on here earlier to post about this, sorry about that, I guess my excuse is that I've been super busy since we use about 40 songs in the film that I've been wrestling with. but it's a music film so that is a good thing!

I wanted to let you know that not only did Mike do the awesome score music (with the equally awesome Barrett Jones), but we also include three pearl jam tracks (OK two PJ and one Bad Radio) in the film and Mike appears on camera offering insights too. and in the story, we have three really good PJ moments that we share, and yes you get a young Eddie cameo too. we think you will like...

regarding a soundtrack, yes I am working on that next. the current idea is to include tracks from artists that are part of Marcos story that we pulled out of Marcos personal collection from live in studio sessions that they did together over the years, perhaps with pieces of Mikes score interspersed too. another idea is to perhaps release some of Mikes score on vinyl. no promises yet since we are just getting started on figuring all of that out, and there's lots of rights that need to be acquired to do it and we are only going to put out an album if it is good - so give us some time, fingers crossed, and thanks for your patience interest and support of this project!

Kevin Moyer
    Post edited by moyboy on
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    moyboy said:

> Any word on a wider release? A soundtrack? Is he currently hosting a radio show?

> Not sure. Would love a vinyl release of Mike's score.

... hey everyone. i am the music supervisor for the film. :0) I should have come on here earlier to post about this, sorry about that, I guess my excuse is that I've been super busy since we use about 40 songs in the film that I've been wrestling with. but it's a music film so that is a good thing!

I wanted to let you know that not only did Mike do the awesome score music (with the equally awesome Barrett Jones), but we also include three pearl jam tracks (OK two PJ and one Bad Radio) in the film and Mike appears on camera offering insights too. and in the story, we have three really good PJ moments that we share, and yes you get a young Eddie cameo too. we think you will like...

regarding a soundtrack, yes I am working on that next. the current idea is to include tracks from artists that are part of Marcos story that we pulled out of Marcos personal collection from live in studio sessions that they did together over the years, perhaps with pieces of Mikes score interspersed too. another idea is to perhaps release some of Mikes score on vinyl. no promises yet since we are just getting started on figuring all of that out, and there's lots of rights that need to be acquired to do it and we are only going to put out an album if it is good - so give us some time, fingers crossed, and thanks for your patience interest and support of this project!

Kevin Moyer

That's awesome news! Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing the film and hearing the music. :plus_one: