Options

Regal and other theatres pull "The Interview"

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    why do some of you think people are just watching this movie as some kind of political statement?

it was projected to make 45 million or so before all the hacking/nk stuff. it had a xmas day release in the first place because people wanted to see it. I think that's about what mediocre comedies usually rake in.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    why do some of you think people are just watching this movie as some kind of political statement?

it was projected to make 45 million or so before all the hacking/nk stuff. it had a xmas day release in the first place because people wanted to see it. I think that's about what mediocre comedies usually rake in.
    I made a political statement against my neighbors when I saw Neighbors.
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Personally, I was speaking about the news reports and interviews of people in line to watch it. Obviously everyone who saw it did not have a political motivation.

But to a large degree, its what its turned out to be. A bit of a (very poor) political statement.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    Idris wrote: »
    Personally, I was speaking about the news reports and interviews of people in line to watch it. Obviously everyone who saw it did not have a political motivation.

But to a large degree, its what its turned out to be. A bit of a (very poor) political statement.

That's probably because most people aren't really very politically motivated. Just look at how low the percentage of eligible voters show up each year. Of course not voting can be a political statement but even factoring that in, the average person is just not that politically informed.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    My choosing to not see this film has more to do with the previously-mentioned mediocrity (which I anticipate, based on the trailers seen), than taking any kind of stance.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I expected a lot more from Seth Rogan. James Franco CAN NOT carry a movie. He's just not that good.
  • Options
    CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    I give it 20 out of 50 stars.
    I usually like Seth Rogen movies but this one was just ok. I thought the Eminem interview scene was pretty funny.
    James Franco is horrible in this movie.
  • Options
    brianlux wrote: »

That's probably because most people aren't really very politically motivated. Just look at how low the percentage of eligible voters show up each year. Of course not voting can be a political statement but even factoring that in, the average person is just not that politically informed.

i think you guys are reading too much into this. it's a mediocre comedy that millions of people were planning on seeing regardless of all this hacking nonsense. of the people who claimed they were going to see it to make some kind of statement...gotta believe a lot of them were joking to some degree. it's a fucking seth rogen comedy. come on, people.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

i think you guys are reading too much into this. it's a mediocre comedy that millions of people were planning on seeing regardless of all this hacking nonsense. of the people who claimed they were going to see it to make some kind of statement...gotta believe a lot of them were joking to some degree. it's a fucking seth rogen comedy. come on, people.

Thats the point, its a seth rogen comedy! Shows the level of intelligence we have in this country.

and it is a BIG, deal, leaders, the President, high profile people have all spoken about it. Was the US not the one who then attacked the North Korean internet? You know revenge attack, of course we don't even know if North Korea was even involved, but the FBI and President says so, without any 'source code' and we just go along with it.

All over a seth rogen comedy. I agree, come on people.
  • Options
    I'm not so sure it was the US that caused that "revenge" attack. At least I haven't read anything that says we did it. I believe it was China.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I'm not so sure it was the US that caused that "revenge" attack. At least I haven't read anything that says we did it. I believe it was China.

I figure the US did it cause, they refused to comment on it. :-$ and in this case, to me, the silence is golden.
  • Options

Thats the point, its a seth rogen comedy! Shows the level of intelligence we have in this country.

and it is a BIG, deal, leaders, the President, high profile people have all spoken about it. Was the US not the one who then attacked the North Korean internet? You know revenge attack, of course we don't even know if North Korea was even involved, but the FBI and President says so, without any 'source code' and we just go along with it.

All over a seth rogen comedy. I agree, come on people.

to be fair, seth rogen is canadian.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    His dad is from the US and he (Seth) has dual citizenship
  • Options
    His dad is from the US and he (Seth) has dual citizenship

thank you for that clarification. i think he is from vancouver.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718

Yeah, at the end of the day that pretty much sums it up. I wouldn't mind seeing a really well made political comedy though.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options

Yeah, at the end of the day that pretty much sums it up. I wouldn't mind seeing a really well made political comedy though.

bullworth
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Bullworth is an effin awesome movie! I migjt have to bust out the VHS for that shit!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    I don't care about the movie itself, I don't care that it was made, I don't care about people seeing it,

I just find it unfortunate that (and we can argue this) many people think that free speech was under attack, and north korea was upset so they caused this major cyber attack, and it seems that too many of us believed it without a single shred of evidence.

But that's not unusual for us, is it?

I don't care about the movie, I care about our governments response to it (the Sony Hack)

What matters is obviously not the movie, but our reaction to this Sony Hack,
  • Options
    rgambs wrote: »
    Bullworth is an effin awesome movie! I migjt have to bust out the VHS for that shit!

damn right.

looks like the interview is on demand now. guess i'll give it a go at some point over this long weekend.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,773
    is this still a thing?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    So I watched this and decided to revive the thread to give my short review.
    The movie wasn't astounding, but it was pretty funny. Rogan plays the smart one for once, and Franco plays a pretty convincing idiot.
    Memorable lines iinclude:
    "You honeydickin'?"

"Kim Jong Un has no butthole."

And later:
    "Yes Dave, I have a butthole and it's working overtime!"
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

And they won't release that movie. You can bet on that.

this thread is just comedic gold
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Eminem stole that movie with just one cameo.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,773
    5.99 at the local grocery store.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

5.99 at the local grocery store.

It's not worth that