David Letterman is Back

Comments

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Really enjoyed the last show. Haven't watched much over the last few years, but used to watch Dave all the time back in high school, college, and early 20s. Staying up past 1030pm on a weeknight these days is quite the chore....getting old.

As other have said in the thread...Dave is the king of late night. It's not even close when you compare him to Leno.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    norm said:

hedonist said:

Is Chris Eliot making an appearance?

he was on a few months back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzMEPl7KKtE
    Ah, thanks norm.

"Banana!"

=)

• Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Growing up, I had a huge crush on Drew Barrymore. So I was lucky enough to be watching this live when it happened. It's probably one of my top 2 or 3 favorite Dave moments. I'm sure Dave has it ranked pretty high as well.

• fifefife Posts: 3,327
    I think Leno beat Letterman in the ratings for one reason, he stay in formula.

Letterman in my option changed not only late night TV but also TV. I don't think you see shows like How I met your mother, parks and rec, 30 rock without Dave. he opened the path to what could be done in TV sitcoms and it didn't have to be all stuffy like some other more popular shows that went directly to the most common punchline
    fife said:

Letterman in my option changed not only late night TV but also TV. I don't think you see shows like How I met your mother, parks and rec, 30 rock without Dave. he opened the path to what could be done in TV sitcoms and it didn't have to be all stuffy like some other more popular shows that went directly to the most common punchline

Norman Lear did the same and then some in the 70s :)
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,143
    13.76 million. Lower than what I hoped for.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:

13.76 million. Lower than what I hoped for.

I don't care if 13 million or 13 thousand people watched it. I know I got to watch it, so that's all that matters.

But I do know what you mean. I expected more as well.
    All things must pass (but damn, so quick!).

On a light note, I'm reminded of that Seinfeld with the Merv Griffin set.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    fife said:

and something called Must See TV.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    hedonist said:

I stopped by earlier to get a Late Show t shirt from the Hello Deli, Wish I had known so I could have taken something
    I miss igotid88
  • The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    I wish I didn't outgrow my Hello Deli t-shirt I got from my first NY trip in 2008. Rupert made me a cinnamon-raisin bagel, toasted with butter. I pretended like I didn't know who he was. I probably gave it away when I bought his shirt, though. But I felt I owed him since the deli sort of helped me get tickets to the Late Show.

I totally lucked out on scoring Late Show tickets. I put my name in for tickets on the website and a couple of months later I got a call from someone at CBS. I had to answer a trivia question, which had something to do with the Hello Deli and I got it right. I ended up on this lady's "gold list" somehow and sat in the fourth row, right on the aisle, on Dave's side. All I could think of was both the Beatles AND Pearl Jam have played in this theatre. Surreal experience.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    hedonist said:

I just said the dame thing to my wife.

"Burp"
    "We're back!"

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

hedonist said:

I just said the dame thing to my wife.

"Burp"
    "We're back!"

=)
    I wonder how different the world would be if Letterman got the Tonight Show?
    I miss igotid88
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Wma31394 said:

fife said:

just great, now don't know what to do with myself at 11:35.

you can watch reruns of the mentalist.
    I'm sure you can find an episode of law and order SUV somewhere..
    actually the SVU marathon breaks from 11-midnight or 11-1 for modern family. The other channels have the news on at 11 as well.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    Watching Puscifer doing Conditions of My Parole on Dave.

"Help me out of this.........Paul Shaffer!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bigVpjDEoCo
    hedonist said:

Watching Puscifer doing Conditions of My Parole on Dave.

"Help me out of this.........Paul Shaffer!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bigVpjDEoCo

loved that performance. I had a download without the watermark. But can't find it
    I miss igotid88
  • The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    I wonder why Drew Barrymore wasn't back on in the last couple of months? I thought she would have been a regular, or at least a favourite of Dave's.

Did she ever go back again after she flashed her boobs?

I wonder why Drew Barrymore wasn't back on in the last couple of months? I thought she would have been a regular, or at least a favourite of Dave's.

Yes. 2010 was the last time
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:

Yes. 2010 was the last time
    I wonder why they weren't close? She's done a Jimmy Fallon a couple of times. His show I mean.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141

I wish I didn't outgrow my Hello Deli t-shirt I got from my first NY trip in 2008. Rupert made me a cinnamon-raisin bagel, toasted with butter. I pretended like I didn't know who he was. I probably gave it away when I bought his shirt, though. But I felt I owed him since the deli sort of helped me get tickets to the Late Show.

I totally lucked out on scoring Late Show tickets. I put my name in for tickets on the website and a couple of months later I got a call from someone at CBS. I had to answer a trivia question, which had something to do with the Hello Deli and I got it right. I ended up on this lady's "gold list" somehow and sat in the fourth row, right on the aisle, on Dave's side. All I could think of was both the Beatles AND Pearl Jam have played in this theatre. Surreal experience.

nice! one of my favorite times spent with my dad was in 2000 when i scored letterman tickets for fathers day (i was in college so he paid for everything-haha). saw mcenroe and busta rhymes perform. seeing my dad throw his hands up in the air like he just didn't fucking care is an image that will stay with me forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-s7nV_IE8Y
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723

nice! one of my favorite times spent with my dad was in 2000 when i scored letterman tickets for fathers day (i was in college so he paid for everything-haha). saw mcenroe and busta rhymes perform. seeing my dad throw his hands up in the air like he just didn't fucking care is an image that will stay with me forever.

Haha. Busta Rhymes will have that effect on people.
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    this guy broke down all 537 pics from the everlong montage and identified them

https://www.facebook.com/adam.nedeff/media_set?set=a.10153848803898102.1073741832.608003101&type=1&pnref=story
    I caught the Eddie blonde pic when it aired. I don't think I saw the band
    I miss igotid88
    That guy was bored.

Lol, that's great! My musical guest was forgettable, but Uma Thurman was the main guest, so that was alright. The top 10 list was hilarious. That was the day/week the pope was in NY and it was top ten things Pres Bush said to him. My favourite was "Have you ever had eggs, Benedict?" I still laugh about it to this day.