David Letterman is Back

Comments

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    sucks that they won't air old episodes after tonight
    I miss igotid88
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I am surprised that there has been no mention of Larry Bud Melmon over the past week. (Unless I missed it.)
    edited May 2015

I am surprised that there has been no mention of Larry Bud Melmon over the past week. (Unless I missed it.)

he was the one in the Santa outfit reading to the kids. Calvert Deforest. And yesterday after the show they showed a list of names of people who died that were part of the show
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:

he was the one in the Santa outfit reading to the kids.
    I caught the first 5 seconds of that. It is storming here and I lost satellite signal for a couple minutes. I didn't know that was him. I'm glad to see he was mentioned. I'll have to pull the clip up on you tube.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Is Chris Eliot making an appearance?
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Really nice words from Conan during his monologue.

Oh, please no spoilers for us west coasters.
    (I guess I could just ignore this thread until I watch it :tongue: )
    Thanks Dave. You ARE the best.
    hedonist said:

no
    I miss igotid88
    I miss igotid88
    I miss igotid88
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    igotid88 said:

The show will run long. So set your dvrs

Too late for me as i missed the last part of the show (how much more did it last?). My DVR ONLY recorded 1 Hour & 2 minutes.

edited May 2015
    cutz said:

igotid88 said:

The show will run long. So set your dvrs

Too late for me as i missed the last part of the show (how much more did it last?). My DVR ONLY recorded 1 Hour & 2 minutes.

about 17 minutes.
    I miss igotid88
    I hope it reaches Carson's final show numbers
    I miss igotid88
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    It was a great run..but time to go. For he's the jolly good fellow..for he's the jolly good fellow...
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    igotid88 said:

I hope it reaches Carson's final show numbers

i don't know what that number was, but there's no shot. way too many options. doesn't matter though
    chinese-happy.jpg
    the finale was about as perfect a send off as you can imagine a letterman send off can be. he was who he always was right up until the final "thank you and good night."

seriously though--the top ten was great. the vignette of a day in the life at the late show was poignant. dave's last speech at the end was very touching. and i love how they did the montage during the foo's song.

i can't believe it's over. a part of my childhood has rode off into the sunset.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I don't know how people stay up for this. I am beat
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    Just pure class last night. no doubt we are never going to see anything like this again. i loved ever bit and really loved how the end with dave just saying good night. you just knew he didn't really want it to feel like a final show.

just great, now don't know what to do with myself at 11:35.
    fife said:

you can watch reruns of the mentalist.
    chinese-happy.jpg

fife said:

you can watch reruns of the mentalist.
    I'm sure you can find an episode of law and order SUV somewhere..
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    if I had one regret of cancelling my cable last fall, missing these last few weeks was it. I saw some stuff on social media this morning, and I shed a few tears.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Wasn't a huge fan of late night talk but did enjoy him..he was my choice over Leno..always sux to see a tv legend gone..I would think nearly impossible to stick around that long moving forward.. In any tv/media format..
    I can only imagine how jealous Leno was of all of this. Letterman is vindicated.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    igotid88 said:
    thanks for conan and kimmel clips, they are awesome.
    for 5 yrs of my life back around college, Letterman was the only tv show I cared about, I would not miss it.
    I miss those days.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
    edited May 2015
    "Mr. Letterman defined himself as the loser in his long, bitter battle with Mr. Leno. His rival got "The Tonight Show" gig and higher ratings. But in the end, Mr. Letterman won the legacy."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/22/arts/television/review-david-letterman-final-episode-late-show-cbs.html

"Mr. Letterman defined himself as the loser in his long, bitter battle with Mr. Leno. His rival got "The Tonight Show" gig and higher ratings. But in the end, Mr. Letterman won the legacy."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/22/arts/television/review-david-letterman-final-episode-late-show-cbs.html

I never understood the draw of Leno. I think he won the ratings battle simply because he pandered to his guests and people remained loyal, for whatever reason, to Carson's show.

I found Leno very unfunny.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I never understood the draw of Leno. I think he won the ratings battle simply because he pandered to his guests and people remained loyal, for whatever reason, to Carson's show.

I never understood it either. Letterman was simply better than Leno. I don't know why the ratings didn't show that. But that sentence quoted from the New York Times says it all. Letterman is the king of late night. Leno is an afterthought.

I never understood it either. Letterman was simply better than Leno. I don't know why the ratings didn't show that. But that sentence quoted from the New York Times says it all. Letterman is the king of late night. Leno is an afterthought.
    totally.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Rated higher than all other broadcasts last night. But still not its highest rated show.
    I miss igotid88
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    hedonist said:

he was on a few months back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzMEPl7KKtE