This Place is Alive and Well

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    edited February 2015
    my monday kinda blows. Not only is it cold, I found out today that the account I used to work , does not want me back. So , on the road again I go when my current one finally is done.

Oh yeah, reporting to the truck in the AM at 0400 or so when its expected to be -5 or so actual plus WC?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    hedonist said:

But the thing is (depending on outlook, I guess)...it's not horrible. Why is FEELING a certain age trumped by physically aging? People I've seen - mostly women - trying to combat nature end up looking more unnatural.

I don't know...I look in the mirror and sure, it'd be nice to see the face of the young woman I was in my 20s. But I'm not that woman anymore, thank god.

I'm THIS woman.

Sure, keep myself in shape, take care of my skin, etc...but I AM older. I embrace it, I'm thankful to have lived in full so that my face shows the lines of smiles and sorrow, of living. It's life...and I've learned a shitload in the process - still am.

But you're not old yet, are you?? We're talking 70 years old here. You may feel differently when you have giant flaps of skin hanging off your neck, and you can see your eyelids when you're just looking straight ahead, no? Maybe not, and maybe I won't either, but I can definitely understand why that would suck, and think it WILL suck.
    I didn't say that feeling a certain age is trumped by looking old - I just said that the appearance and the feeling are incongruent. And when you get older, things being incongruent can feel a lot worse that they do now, when we're still young (by all reports from old people, that is). I agree doing anything that makes you look unnatural is lame... because it looks bad. But doing something doesn't automatically = looking unnatural. Those are the botch jobs! Anyway, I don't really find the ravages of old age anything other than a shitty, raw deal in life. I see nothing awesome about the physical aging process. It fucking BLOWS.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    I want one already assembled.
    ELITIST FUK
    edited February 2015

hedonist said:

People I've seen - mostly women - trying to combat nature end up looking more unnatural.

What do you mean?

Botch job.
    See, now that my mom did it, I'm getting all defensive, lol! ..... That is a botch job, obviously. So are all of the ones that look horrible. My mother looks beautiful. She still has some natural lines and stuff, not tight at all... she simply looks very naturally younger than she really is (and she looked young for her age before she did this.... which is, of course, another reason I was surprised she did it). She is 69. Pre-op she probably looked 62. Post-op she looks more like 52. And you'd never know she had work done.... quite right for $15,000 fucking dollars.

I should mentioned, though, that my sister is fake looking (man, do I ever have some vain fucking family members, wtf, lol). She's only 42, but has had a nose job, she gets botox, and has veneers, and she looks fucking plastic (but doesn't realize it I guess, and didn't need any of it - she was beautiful before). There is a right and a wrong way I guess, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    imalive said:

Julie Andrews looked amazing at the Oscars last night. How old is she?

She's 79. Looking at a recent photo of her, I see lines around her eyes and mouth (and it seems she's kept in fine shape over the years)...guessing no "work" done on her.

She's like Helen Mirren, Sophia Loren. Sweet genes.

Somewhere around here, I have Mary Poppins on vinyl!
    edited February 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

hedonist said:

But the thing is (depending on outlook, I guess)...it's not horrible. Why is FEELING a certain age trumped by physically aging? People I've seen - mostly women - trying to combat nature end up looking more unnatural.

I don't know...I look in the mirror and sure, it'd be nice to see the face of the young woman I was in my 20s. But I'm not that woman anymore, thank god.

I'm THIS woman.

Sure, keep myself in shape, take care of my skin, etc...but I AM older. I embrace it, I'm thankful to have lived in full so that my face shows the lines of smiles and sorrow, of living. It's life...and I've learned a shitload in the process - still am.

But you're not old yet, are you?? We're talking 70 years old here. You may feel differently when you have giant flaps of skin hanging off your neck, and you can see your eyelids when you're just looking straight ahead, no? Maybe not, and maybe I won't either, but I can definitely understand why that would suck, and think it WILL suck.
    I didn't say that feeling a certain age is trumped by looking old - I just said that the appearance and the feeling are incongruent. And when you get older, things being incongruent can feel a lot worse that they do now, when we're still young (by all reports from old people, that is). I agree doing anything that makes you look unnatural is lame... because it looks bad. But doing something doesn't automatically = looking unnatural. Those are the botch jobs! Anyway, I don't really find the ravages of old age anything other than a shitty, raw deal in life. I see nothing awesome about the physical aging process. It fucking BLOWS.
    Nope, I've got awhile till I hit 70 =)

And you're right - procedures aren't necessarily tantamount to that weird face thing. But man, to take such a risk, grabbing at a facade? And for how long?

I'm all for people doing what they feel is best for them; I may not get it, I may say "never me!" but I do understand the propellant.

(as to getting old...to be honest, with all the pains and shit the last few years, I'd rather deal with the aesthetic side of aging vs the actual physical) *edit - reverse my vs. :angry:

PS to mickey, good thoughts to you.
    Post edited by hedonist on
    hedonist said:

imalive said:

Julie Andrews looked amazing at the Oscars last night. How old is she?

She's 79. Looking at a recent photo of her, I see lines around her eyes and mouth (and it seems she's kept in fine shape over the years)...guessing no "work" done on her.

She's like Helen Mirren, Sophia Loren. Sweet genes.

Somewhere around here, I have Mary Poppins on vinyl!
    I bet she's had work done. She just got it done well. A good job on an older lady will leave lines around the eyes and mouth (that's what they did with my mom), precisely because getting rid of them all looks so unnatural.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    shall the OP rename this thread? :angry:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    imalive said:

OP couldn't start a "place is dead 3". He went this route.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    imalive said:

I still vote for this place is on life support.

imalive said:

I thought maybe it was now The OFFI-cal Plastic Surgery Thread.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    I still just want a Lego Oscar.
    ELITIST FUK
  • imalive said:

imalive said:

Perhaps it could be an oxymoron thread title like ***The OFFI-cal petition to end OFFI-cal***
    SD48277 said:

http://youtu.be/Olxr4qeLdN8
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

SD48277 said:

http://youtu.be/Olxr4qeLdN8
    Does this mean you are making one for me?
    ELITIST FUK
  • SD48277 said:

SD48277 said:

didn't oprah get one? give her a call......I doubt it's something she would want.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive said:

imalive said:

Hey! Topics veer sometimes :i_dunno:
  • imalive said:

SD48277 said:

didn't oprah get one? give her a call......I doubt it's something she would want.
    I forgot to preface it with
    from now on, every time I think of something to post that might be innapropriate, I'm going with this instead:

:no_mouth:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive said:

from now on, every time I think of something to post that might be innapropriate, I'm going with this instead:

oh, gwasshoppa
    now u see
    ahh u see

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive said:

very good gwasshoppa
    wollypop for you
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    imalive said:

You're going to post a number of those, huh?
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    imalive said:

imalive said:

Sorry? :i_dunno:
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    It's cold, but it's winter in NJ so that's nothing new.

I can't imagine how you felt PJ Soul when your mom surprised you. If it makes her happy, then it's her decision but to not tell anyone is kinda freaky when you finally see her! Any person over a certain age that has a well-defined jaw line has had work done. Not even good genes can trump gravity.

I've been completely screwed over by my ex - whenever I think I can just live life, raise my son, breathe - he pounces and this time he has outdone himself. I don't understand why people live to ruin other people's lives; I just can't think that way. So I am in a state of shock - brainwashed my son, planned this over the past two years and now I've lost custody of my son, can't even see him, all based on lies that the ridiculously incompetent agency that's supposed to protect children chose to believe. All the stuff I told them, not mentioned - just a one-sided character assassination. I can't believe the things they just take as fact because a person who has not been a parent for almost a decade says so. It's infuriating and wrong and hurtful and scary and what the hell could make a person do something so horrid. Have court in less than 2 weeks to address all the allegations. Need to reach deep. It's got to stop, tell him, take no more ...she tells herself.

I finally GOT the song Rearviewmirror today. Heard it so many times, but I actually HEARD it tonight and it just makes so much sense and is where I am. They are amazing, there is always a song that can define my situation when I can't. Forced to endure that which I cannot forgive...

I'm not sure what's going on with the board. Read a bunch of threads but I guess I missed something so I'll have to just keep up with things.

Feel better brianlux - is this from the assault awhile back??

I don't mind the idea of wrinkles so much; still don't have any to freak out about. However, no one ever told me the skin would slide off my face someday - that is something that will probably sneak up and scare the hell out of me and possibly make me rethink my anti plastic surgery stance, if I don't pass out, hit my head and forget who I am. Hey, I believe that anything can happen now - I've given up on the God only gives you as much as you can handle theory.

Les Miz is back on Broadway so I'm going to make myself go; have seen it 6 times - god i love that play. Just watched Matt Nathanson live on some channel and totally enjoyed it - I've liked him for years.

Another sleepless night, it'll pass after this stuff. It sucks. I was such a laid back person with a positive outlook - and people wonder why I don't date. I don't trust my instincts - I just want to live my life and be the positive, life-loving person I was before I made a bad choice.

Hope everyone is well - don't let this place die, I'm almost a year member and I like it here.

And my posts are long - I know - just haven't been around and I'm a writer - I try but I is what I is.

• bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    njnancy, good thoughts coming your way.
    Me I'm kind of meh today.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
    imalive said:

SD48277 said:

She and I are no longer on speaking terms....

njnancy, sorry to hear about what is going on with your son. Fingers crossed that the hearing goes well, and you are able to see him again.
    ELITIST FUK
    The boards are hopping today :sleepy:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090

The boards are hopping today :sleepy:

www.cluthelee.com