Options

Heavyweight battle

Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
edited February 2015 in The Porch
Release or Rearviewmirror, explain why you rank the one song higher

Heavyweight battle 136 votes

Release
75%
CantKeepmedownRiot_Macmcgruff10my_waveHopperred mosLowlightAmherstJammerbootlegger10imissyoualwaysmy2handsForce Of NaturePJammer4lifeSPJ3daysdfm74Clonehrd2imgnCarryTheZeroSVRDhand13 103 votes
Rearviewmirror
24%
2-feign-reluctanceBig Green Countryrssesqaustinevolution10pdalowskyotterbucballFlying MXZjonnymikes....Shackles31....DizzleEB218946SputNickAmongst the AniVitalogensiascott nowlandckravitzmayerdstonesPJForceofNature 33 votes

Comments

• Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    Release
    I chose Release but I do like the extended live version of RVM better
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le1LRDhT89E
  • Options
    Release
    Release wins. Because the song is just as amazing as it was in 1991. Rearviewmirror was at its peak live around when vs/vitalogy came out. It almost has evolved too much IMO. The ending is amazing either way, but I liked it when Mike would let loose... besides just straight power chords from him, Ed, and Stone. This is obviously sort of ridiculous, and it's still amazing live, but I feel the SNL performance is the best version ever of RVM.
  • Options
    Release
    Mawky1103 wrote: »
    Release wins. Because the song is just as amazing as it was in 1991. Rearviewmirror was at its peak live around when vs/vitalogy came out. It almost has evolved too much IMO. The ending is amazing either way, but I liked it when Mike would let loose... besides just straight power chords from him, Ed, and Stone. This is obviously sort of ridiculous, and it's still amazing live, but I feel the SNL performance is the best version ever of RVM.

flawless
  • Options
    Release

flawless

Awesome, thanks for the memory of "making sure to record it". Wow what a great time to grow up with this band.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,831
    Rearviewmirror
    Wow, I'm the only one commenting in favour of RVM so far? Hard for me to believe. RVM is, for me, the perfect PJ song - fast and hard-driving but with meaningful lyrics, great ebb and flow, and something I don't even know how to describe - musicality?? Who knows. I love it.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Release
    Because everytime I hear Release, I feel my dad so close by.
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited February 2015
    Both are equal to and for me, as each have provided catharsis in its own way.

And to the person above, I get it. A bit strange since my dad and I weren't estranged, actually grew much closer before he died - so I guess more like "I am myself, like you somehow".

Bittersweet.

I'm so my father's daughter - grateful for that as I am for this music.
  • Options
    scott nowlandscott nowland Australia Posts: 247
    Rearviewmirror
    Wow, I'm the only one commenting in favour of RVM so far? Hard for me to believe. RVM is, for me, the perfect PJ song - fast and hard-driving but with meaningful lyrics, great ebb and flow, and something I don't even know how to describe - musicality?? Who knows. I love it.

Agreed. If I had to think of a song that summed up pearl jam rvm would be it!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,619
    edited February 2015
    Release
    Release is my favorite Pearl Jam song. That's saying so much I can't even articulate it, really. But more simply, no song has ever affected me so much each time I listen to it, every time... and then seeing it open a show live...
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Rearviewmirror
    surprised
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    Release
    love when release opens a show and its lyrics are one of ed's best.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,777
    Release
    Release has a lot of different meanings to me and all are close to my heart

Just like Ed it reminds me of my Dad
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    Release
    Like many who love Release, the way it makes me feel makes this a rather easy decision. I love both songs but especially since my father died Release is special in a way that RVM cannot be for me.
    I really do love RVM though, this is a heavyweight battle as you stated.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    Release

Interesting, watching that SNL performance makes me agree/see your point. It did, however, also point out to me how much more I prefer the way Matt plays it.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Rearviewmirror

I agree that it's the perfect PJ song! Hearing this song live is a fantastic experience for me every single time, and I feel so lucky to have heard it live several times. It's hard to describe in words why I love this song so much, I just do!

"A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,354
    Release
    I think the fact that Release is played live less often makes it a bit more special nowadays and thus gives it the advantage. Both of these songs are brilliant, however.
  • Options
    retroponyretropony Myrtle Beach SC Posts: 349
    Release
    Because, goosebumps. ..
    Washington DC 2008
    Charlotte NC 2013
    Greenville SC 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    Rearviewmirror
    retropony, are you in relation to doompony?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    Rearviewmirror
    RVM, is just incredible live......I believe its still improving. 2014 versions were insane
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,619
    Release
    RVM is definitely fantastic though. I think it's one of PJ's best songs. But it just doesn't hit me emotionally the way Release always does.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,078
    edited February 2015
    Release
    All personal preference but for me Release is far superior. I love RVM especially live but Release hits me in a different way. Every time.
    Basically what PJ_Soul just said. ^^
    Post edited by Abe Froman on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,837
    Release
    what abe said. when they started to play it after pendulum in st paul I started to well up and got tingles all over. first time I had heard it live. and it was euphoric.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,936
    Release
    Because Release is the greatest opener while RVM is a good song that sometimes blends into the background of a show. I can tell you every time I have heard Release. Not so with RVM.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Kind of odd to compare and pick between two completely different songs.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Release
    because Release is fucking insane,that's why.
  • Options
    Release
    Release is one of my very favorite songs so I chose it. But RVM live is just amazing...
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,354
    Release
    Kind of odd to compare and pick between two completely different songs.

True. Two great songs but two very different ones in so many ways.

I suppose two more obvious comparisons might be Release vs Oceans (or Wash, Long Road, or even Sometimes) and RVM vs Porch (which I think has been done).

• Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,787
    Rearviewmirror
    Both of these songs create strong, though very different, emotional reactions for me. I could only choose between the two by trying to figure out which is a more intense experience for me. RVM wins by only a tiny glimmer.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,047
    Release
    …..because I said so!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited February 2015
    retropony, are you in relation to doompony?
    He was a beautiful pony!

edit - what I wrote must sound strange as hell and possibly creepy to those unfamiliar with the reference.
    Post edited by hedonist on