Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    goldrush said:
    I had a feeling this record was going to be either really good or bomb. If the rest of the album is like this, it's going to be one of my favorites. Oh man!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    brianlux said:

goldrush said:
    I had a feeling this record was going to be either really good or bomb. If the rest of the album is like this, it's going to be one of my favorites. Oh man!

Yeah I really like this song. It's a lot better than Who's Gonna Stand Up that's for sure so I'm looking forward to the album more now. My wife bought me the 2cd version (with the acoustic disc) yesterday but she says I can't have it until my birthday on Sunday!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:

brianlux said:

goldrush said:

Yeah I really like this song. It's a lot better than Who's Gonna Stand Up that's for sure so I'm looking forward to the album more now. My wife bought me the 2cd version (with the acoustic disc) yesterday but she says I can't have it until my birthday on Sunday!
    The waiting... is the hardest part, LOL!

I didn't know it was out already- must check it out!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited November 2014
    I paid $300 to sit row 5 or so in philly... loved every second of it... they would have been $500+ on the secondary market... neil cuts them out by charging more and having them will call pickup only... I think it is genius and allows me to buy a great ticket directly from the artist instead of dealing with flippers... I absolutely love his tiered pricing system for theater shows... it is the only way to do business at this point for larger acts at smaller venues...

It amazes me how people dont understand or appreciate this concept... they see the price and act shocked... but then they think it is normal to see premium tickets on stub hub for $1,000 lol
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    the new album is not my bag

the new album is not my bag

At $80 for the vinyl maybe not mine either. :-(

• my2hands said:

I paid $300 to sit row 5 or so in philly... loved every second of it... they would have been $500+ on the secondary market... neil cuts them out by charging more and having them will call pickup only... I think it is genius and allows me to buy a great ticket directly from the artist instead of dealing with flippers... I absolutely love his tiered pricing system for theater shows... it is the only way to do business at this point for larger acts at smaller venues...

It amazes me how people dont understand or appreciate this concept... they see the price and act shocked... but then they think it is normal to see premium tickets on stub hub for $1,000 lol
    every tour since the first CSNY reunion tour neil's tickets have been way over priced and he's been getting away with it for awhile. there is already a system in place that is much better than gouging your long term loyal fans for up close tickets.

paperless tickets-just like cat stevens did on this tour. 2 tickets per person max. bring your cc and scan it at the door and in you go. no transference from ticket buyer to ticket user

having said this i thought neil did a good job when he went out on tour with wilco...decent priced ga floor tickets but he still gouged the people who wanted reserved seats for that tour

$300 to see neil is insane. there is no justification for him charging that amount.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    wow I didn't know his tix had gotten so expensive.
    saw him with Crazy Horse in 2012 and only paid about $75.
    decent seats too.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    lolobugg said:

decent seats too.

i saw about 5 of the crazy horse shows in the past few years and never paid more than $75 for GA... it is the small venues that he does the tiered pricing system as far as i can tell... and again, i love it

GA in a 15,000 seat arena seemed properly priced at $75...
    First 10 rows in a small 2,000 seat theater priced at $250 seems properly priced as well... because if you want cheaper tickets he has them as well, you can get into a small theater show for $75 or less if you dont mind sitting in the balcony or whatever... to me it gives everyone a chance at a ticket they want or can afford or not afford

my2hands said:

lolobugg said:

decent seats too.

i saw about 5 of the crazy horse shows in the past few years and never paid more than $75 for GA... it is the small venues that he does the tiered pricing system as far as i can tell... and again, i love it

GA in a 15,000 seat arena seemed properly priced at $75...
    First 10 rows in a small 2,000 seat theater priced at $250 seems properly priced as well... because if you want cheaper tickets he has them as well, you can get into a small theater show for $75 or less if you dont mind sitting in the balcony or whatever... to me it gives everyone a chance at a ticket they want or can afford or not afford

Ok that makes sense.
    I remember paying about $65 on the Le Noise/Twisted Road tour in 2010
    and I was in the balcony. was still one of the most amazing things I have ever seen and just as fucking loud as with the full band.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,061
    Maybe I'm alone in this, but I like Storytone so far. I haven't listened to the orchestral side, but the solo side is pretty good...
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    RIP Rick the bass player Rosas

RIP Rick the bass player Rosas

NO! Damn. R.I.P. Rick Rosas. :-(

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    brianlux said:

goldrush said:

Yeah, I really like that song a lot, after one listen. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

Man, that song is bad.

Yep- I'm not excited for this album.
    Hopefully it's the only bad one on the album.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    So I've been listening to Storytone for a couple of days now and I really like it. It's interesting to hear the orchestra/big band on the second disc, it adds a different dimension to the songs. Saying that though, I much prefer the solo disc. I know that the orchestra disc is the whole point of this album but some of the solo acoustic songs sound so fragile and raw they're beautiful. I think the solo disc sits pretty well next to some of his earlier acoustic songs, or even some of the live Archives discs (if only there was Neil banter in between songs!).

One of the songs that really surprised me was 'I Want To Drive My Car'. Looking at the lyrics before hearing it I wasn't expecting much but I love the solo version. The big band version is kinda fun, but there's just something about Neil's voice and guitar tone on the on the solo one that I really enjoy.

(Tim Rogers)
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Is this the second album he's released this year?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 said:

Yep, 'A Letter Home' came out in April (although I'm not sure how many times I'll play that one again!)
    2 albums with the Horse in 2012, 2 on his own this year, 2 books in that time as well... how about a second Archives box?!

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:

Newch91 said:

Yep, 'A Letter Home' came out in April (although I'm not sure how many times I'll play that one again!)
    2 albums with the Horse in 2012, 2 on his own this year, 2 books in that time as well... how about a second Archives box?!
    Heh. I traded A Letter Home in at the record store. I found it unlistenable for the most part. I only heard one song from new album, and just that was better than all of A Letter Home put together. IMHO.
    I liked the concept of A Letter Home, and some of the covers were really good (Needle Of Death in particular) but Storytone is much better.
    Something else that I forgot to mention earlier, 'Who's Gonna Stand Up?' sounds much better as part of the album. I wasn't a fan of it at first but it fits in really well on the orchestral disc.

(Tim Rogers)
    hell, I would give it a listen if it wasn't $80 on vinyl.
    Neil's album prices are insane.
    I end up buying the Blu-ray instead.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

lolobugg said:

hell, I would give it a listen if it wasn't $80 on vinyl.
    Neil's album prices are insane.
    I end up buying the Blu-ray instead.

Yeah, for sure!

I waited a long time to get Psychedelic Pill and only did so because someone here (thank you!) posted a link to a good deal on it. Would love to have Storytone but not at 80 bucks. :-(

There's another version of Storytone on the way. From Neil's website...

MIXED PAGES OF STORYTONE
    November 10, 2014
    The Storytone records have been a labor of love. Thanks to all of you who have purchased them. These songs were written during a period of profound change in my life. Everything I want to share is there.
    First, I recorded the songs at Capitol Records with my old friends Niko Bolas and Al Schmitt. I sang them alone with only the instruments I desired to use. There was no over dubbing or enhancing. The resulting music is from my heart, directly to you.
    Then, I entered the hallowed MGM sound stage where "The Wizard of Oz" soundtrack was recorded. Surrounded by the finest musicians in Hollywood, with arrangements and orchestrations by Christ Walden and Michael Bearden, I sang seven of the Storytone songs live for the second time. I sang into Barbara Streisand's microphone, a perfectly cared-for antique with a wonderful tone that I loved. I also went to Sunset Boulevard to record the remaining three songs with a big band in an old Hollywood studio rebuilt and now known as East West. All the performances are live with no added effects or recording. I just stood singing into the microphone with occasional harmonica notes blown in between verses, while the musician's played. Sometimes there were 92 musicians singing and playing live with me. It was a thrilling experience, both for the freedom of not playing an instrument while I sang, and for the beauty of being in the same room and listening as the music was created. I will never forget it.
    The resulting two records are combined into a deluxe two record set. An orchestra only record is also available at limited outlets, mostly so the record is available in large chain stores that dictate what shape art must be in before they sell it, kind of a sign of the times.
    This has been a complex experience, and as sometimes is the case, I have had trouble letting go. The solo versions have all the intimacy and the orchestrated versions have the beauty and depth that these songs cried out for. Mixed Pages of Storytone, a new single special release album, is the result of a journey through these songs and feelings, capturing the best of both worlds, combining them, with the roughness and friction of the meeting points rubbing together.
    Thanks,
    Neil Young.
    Mixed Pages of Storytone. Available soon in Pono, Reprise Vinyl, and Itunes.

(Tim Rogers)
    Couldn't make it down to my local record store today for the vinyl box set but was lucky enough to order it from Neil's site. It's on back order right now but it's better than nothing.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 said:

Couldn't make it down to my local record store today for the vinyl box set but was lucky enough to order it from Neil's site. It's on back order right now but it's better than nothing.

Same here. Fingers crossed "on backorder" doesn't end up meaning "sorry, you're out of luck!"

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:

Newch91 said:

Same here. Fingers crossed "on backorder" doesn't end up meaning "sorry, you're out of luck!"

Agreed. Especially considering he delayed the release of this from the regular RSD to the Black Friday one. He should just come out and say he doesn't want to reissue Time Fades Away at all.
    edited December 2014
    Newch91 said:

goldrush said:

Newch91 said:

Agreed. Especially considering he delayed the release of this from the regular RSD to the Black Friday one. He should just come out and say he doesn't want to reissue Time Fades Away at all.
    Neil did say that Time Fades Away II would be part of the next Archives box so there's always hope! Although how many times has he announced things over the years that haven't arrived yet?...

The only album in this box that I don't have on vinyl anymore is Tonight's The Night, although On The Beach and Time Fades Away have been worn pretty thin over the years! I bought the first 4 vinyl reissues and all of the live Archives releases on vinyl so it looks as though I'll be collecting all of the reissues now (just don't tell my wife!)

(Tim Rogers)
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,061
    Just got "Are You Passionate?" on vinyl. Wow.

No one's music sounds as good on vinyl as Neil's
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    goldrush said:

Newch91 said:

goldrush said:

Newch91 said:

Neil did say that Time Fades Away II would be part of the next Archives box so there's always hope! Although how many times has he announced things over the years that haven't arrived yet?...

The only album in this box that I don't have on vinyl anymore is Tonight's The Night, although On The Beach and Time Fades Away have been worn pretty thin over the years! I bought the first 4 vinyl reissues and all of the live Archives releases on vinyl so it looks as though I'll be collecting all of the reissues now (just don't tell my wife!)
    Got my shipping email during the night! Excited to own my first Neil Young albums on vinyl! :D

My dad owns Everybody Knows This is Nowhere and After the Gold Rush on vinyl, so I've spun those plenty of times.

There's a Time Fades Away II?
    edited December 2014
    Newch91 said:

goldrush said:

Newch91 said:

goldrush said:

Newch91 said:

Got my shipping email during the night! Excited to own my first Neil Young albums on vinyl! :D

My dad owns Everybody Knows This is Nowhere and After the Gold Rush on vinyl, so I've spun those plenty of times.

There's a Time Fades Away II?
    I got my email this morning too. I also ordered the Live At The Cellar Door vinyl so I'm really looking forward to getting hold of them. They'll probably take weeks to get here in Australia though... :(

Neil mentioned Time Fades Away II in an interview with Guitar World in 2009:

"One thing I'll tell you about the next volume of Archives is that Time Fades Away II is in there. And it's interesting because the whole thing has a different drummer than what was on that album. I switched drummers halfway through the tour- Kenny Buttrey was in there for the first half, and Johnny Barbata came in for the second. It's a completely different thing, with completely different songs. So that's interesting. There's lots of stuff like that that I'm working on right now for the second volume."

but then he did also say this in 2010 and we're still waiting:

"...Volume 2 promises even more content than Volume 1, with many unreleased tracks. Four unreleased albums from this period are being rebuilt and will be available in the NYA Special Release Series. Chrome Dreams, Homegrown and Oceanside-Countryside are the three unreleased studio albums. Also from this period is the unreleased Odeon-Budokan live recording produced by David Briggs and Tim Mulligan. These albums initially will be released in vinyl from analog masters as they originally were created for that format. So now is the time to get your new phonograph player. The new players, built with today's technology, are exceptionally good."

and

"Toast is coming, a dark Crazy Horse classic for the ages. This first NYA "Special Edition" is the beginning of a new series of unreleased albums."
    Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)