Options

Crowdfunded Pearl Jam! Yes!

Comments

• Options
    While I love seeing PJ in NYC, this is not my idea of a great or even good venue. First of all, as someone mentioned it's in Queens, parking is tight and a 30 minute subway ride. Secondly there are no indoor facilities only porta potties and usually not enough for the crowd and no running water. The worst for me is there are no seats only concrete and metal benches with no back and without numbers. It is divided in sections but how many people do you seat on a bleacher seat? If you leave your section or ga to eat or go to the bathroom you cannot get back in.the sound is not good either as it is all metal and concrete and since it really is a tennis court, the stage setup and lighting often obstruct your view. IMO a place like this sounds much worse than the outdoors of the gorge which is rather like Alpine Valley. Bottom line, to pull something like this off you are going to need a whole heck of a lot more than a million dollars. I don't know what the band charges but they and the crew aren't going to be expected to stay at the Hotel Q on Queens Blvd and hotels in Manhattan, particularly five star are not cheap. Doesn't even touch security, venue, printing, promotion, etc that comes with pulling a show like this off if not planned completely and thoroughly before it's even announced. Not to be a Debbie downer but it just isn't realistic to pull this off without using some type of professional show producer.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    callen said:

derbydave said:

I'd DEFINITEY be in for shows at BOTH MSG & The Gorge...
    Hell, throw in Red Rocks while we're talking about hypothetical shows!!!
    Bottom line for me is The Gorge is the most BEAUTIFUL venue I've ever seen,
    and if there's a Pearl Jam show or destination weekend scheduled there,
    I'll do whatever it takes to attend that event!!
    If outdoor shows in nature and camping out under the stars with your friends isn't for you,
    That's good, but this would be pure heaven for me!!
    ;)

With you Dave.

Oh and gorge is a must do. And there are hotels and bathrooms. October perfect time.

A definite MUST-DO for me anyway!!
    Plenty of hotels close-by in Cle Elum, Ellensburg & Moses Lake...
    but I'd love to camp or maybe even rent an RV & hang out with friends from my days in Seattle!!!
    A Pearl Jam weekend at The Gorge is #1 on my bucket list :-bd
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    derbydave said:

callen said:

derbydave said:

If outdoor shows in nature and camping out under the stars with your friends isn't for you,
    ;)

With you Dave.

Oh and gorge is a must do. And there are hotels and bathrooms. October perfect time.

but I'd love to camp or maybe even rent an RV & hang out with friends from my days in Seattle!!!
    See, I mite be down with getting an rv for this, that's a possibility.
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    badbrains said:

derbydave said:

callen said:

derbydave said:

;)

With you Dave.

You'd be MORE than welcome to hang out in my RV buddy!!!
    Let's call it the NOT4U Tour =))
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    derbydave said:

badbrains said:

derbydave said:

callen said:

derbydave said:

;)

With you Dave.

You'd be MORE than welcome to hang out in my RV buddy!!!
    Let's call it the NOT4U Tour =))
    Ooooo weeee, I love that song!!! =))
  • Options
    Pledged $320 for four tickets. ROAD TRIP if this event happens.

Mumford and Drake recently played this venue, so it's certainly a possibility.
    2003: Toronto
    2004: Boston 1
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (1&2)
    2007: LOLLAPALOOZA
    2008: Mansfield (1& 2), EV Toronto
    2009:Toronto
    2010: Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011: EV Detroit, East Troy (1&2), Toronto (1&2) Hamilton
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Detroit
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,540
    edited November 2014
    It is funny that the northeast goes a year without a show and they are resorting to crowdfunding. (just a joke)
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668

It is funny that the northeast goes a year without a show and they are resorting to crowdfunding.

Because all 30 million of us are supporting it? How about the Seattle planned show by Wishlist?
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

While I love seeing PJ in NYC, this is not my idea of a great or even good venue. First of all, as someone mentioned it's in Queens, parking is tight and a 30 minute subway ride. Secondly there are no indoor facilities only porta potties and usually not enough for the crowd and no running water. The worst for me is there are no seats only concrete and metal benches with no back and without numbers. It is divided in sections but how many people do you seat on a bleacher seat? If you leave your section or ga to eat or go to the bathroom you cannot get back in.the sound is not good either as it is all metal and concrete and since it really is a tennis court, the stage setup and lighting often obstruct your view. IMO a place like this sounds much worse than the outdoors of the gorge which is rather like Alpine Valley. Bottom line, to pull something like this off you are going to need a whole heck of a lot more than a million dollars. I don't know what the band charges but they and the crew aren't going to be expected to stay at the Hotel Q on Queens Blvd and hotels in Manhattan, particularly five star are not cheap. Doesn't even touch security, venue, printing, promotion, etc that comes with pulling a show like this off if not planned completely and thoroughly before it's even announced. Not to be a Debbie downer but it just isn't realistic to pull this off without using some type of professional show producer.

Don't be silly the band a crew are obviously going to be staying in one of the hotels by LaGuardia!
    /end sarcasm

I'll be happy if they play anywhere in NYC since I ain't going nowhere next year, but I really doubt they will. If they do a 2016 or 2017 fall tour thing I'll go along to as many NE shows as possible.

If the crowdfunding thing works, then good for them. I don't like the idea of it. If they play this Gorge place then a lot of people will be happy. If they play that place in Queens I'll try to get tickets cuz it'd be stupid of me not to.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ckravitz said:

It is funny that the northeast goes a year without a show and they are resorting to crowdfunding.

Because all 30 million of us are supporting it? How about the Seattle planned show by Wishlist?
    I was being sarcastic. Just a joke.
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668

ckravitz said:

I know, I am sure I am oversensitive about it, so apologies for that!! It's just that there is like a weird sentiment by some around here that Most/aLL East Coasters are spoiled brats.

Knee jerk on my part.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    ckravitz said:

ckravitz said:

I know, I am sure I am oversensitive about it, so apologies for that!! It's just that there is like a weird sentiment by some around here that Most/aLL East Coasters are spoiled brats.

Knee jerk on my part.
    No worries!
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I'm on the Debbie downer bandwagon. If it's going to be done, I would want to see it done for charity and be EXTREMELY expensive. 3,000$ per ticket, tickets sold in pairs. 3,000 tickets sold. Tenclub gets first priority.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Hi everyone Dan here. Just wanted to say thanks for everyone's support for and against this iniative . It has certaintly sparked great debate. I promise all that something good with happen from all of this. Stay tuned this week for more news. We are 100% in this and we are not giving up until we get a yay or nay from the band. Check out our current home on the web: https://pearljam25foresthills.tilt.com/bring-pearl-jam-to-forest-hills-tennis-stadium

Thanks for listening and have a great weekend!
    " In New York as they say how the f*** ya doin'?" -Ed MSG 1 03

--
    MSG 1 '98 - MSG 1+2 '03 - Reading,PA '04 - Borgata 1 '05 - Continental Arena 1+2 '06 - Lollapalooza Chicago,IL '07-MSG 1+2 08, Mansfield 1 08, Beacon Theatre 08. MSG 1 10,PJ20 Alpine Valley, Atlanta 2012, Brooklyn 1+2 2013, Hartford 2013, Seattle 2013, Memphis 2014
  • Options

We are 100% in this and we are not giving up until we get a yay or nay from the band. Check out our current home on the web: https://pearljam25foresthills.tilt.com/bring-pearl-jam-to-forest-hills-tennis-stadium

Thanks for listening and have a great weekend!

Who is We?

Have a great weekend too.
  • Options
    Stay tuned.

--
    MSG 1 '98 - MSG 1+2 '03 - Reading,PA '04 - Borgata 1 '05 - Continental Arena 1+2 '06 - Lollapalooza Chicago,IL '07-MSG 1+2 08, Mansfield 1 08, Beacon Theatre 08. MSG 1 10,PJ20 Alpine Valley, Atlanta 2012, Brooklyn 1+2 2013, Hartford 2013, Seattle 2013, Memphis 2014
  • Options

Stay tuned.

Is your signature up to date? I was just curious as if it is, I think it strange that someone is crowdfunding a show for PJ who hasn't seen them in 3 years. Not judging. Just curious.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    hedonist said:

badbrains said:

ldent42 said:

badbrains said:

The question I have for wishlist members is, are they automatically getting tix while the rest of us have to go into a lottery? And why keep this shit private and now all of a sudden come forth with this? Because of the New York show?

Some people come here and talk shit about one crowd sourcing show and are all up for one being held by wishlist? I don't trust anyone and think both sides are questionable. And what's with all this hippie let's all camp and get "grungy" at the gorge? Give me manhattan ANYDAY over some place I have to worry about where the fuck I'm gonna shit. Fuck that. I have $100 for a show at msg, make that happen and fuck both crowd sourcing shit.

The venue they are suggesting is in Queens, not Manhattan. like 20-30 minutes from Penn if you get the express.

I've actually looked around the GoFundMe site out of boredom to see some of the things people post on there - it's kind of amazing. I should really start one. My cat needs braces. (knocks on wood.)
    Oh I know where the place is in queens, drive past it all the time on the way to JFK. When I said give me manhattan ANYDAY, I was referring to msg. And that place is in manhattan cuz that's like my home away from home. (Used to have rangers season tix).

See hedonist, I always watch out for us people who aren't to keen on this camping shit. I need a bed, a pillow, shower and shitter, possiblely a tv for when I'm trying to sleep. I don't want a rock for a pillow and a tree for a shitter.

And it's 100% BULLSHIT if wishlist members ALL get tix while us common folks have to go into a lottery. This I CANT SEE THE BAND BEING COOL WITH. No fucken way. But then again, it is VERY odd I see people posting pics of the wishlist parties and same people end up on the rail. How is this even possible? Don't answer it, I already know who, what and how. "Don't you know who i am?" So fuck queens, fuck Seattle, let's have this shindig at msg for ANYONE who wants to attend.
    BB, I've never been camping :D Open to the experience, but the needs you mentioned are mine as well.

(and cheers to yellow and shep! Same page here)
    You haven't lived until you've pooped in the woods!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

Stay tuned.

Is your signature up to date? I was just curious as if it is, I think it strange that someone is crowdfunding a show for PJ who hasn't seen them in 3 years. Not judging. Just curious.
    Not up to date but what would it matter? Less of a fan? BK1+2, Atlanta, Seattle, Hartford, Memphis....

--
  • Options

Stay tuned.

Not up to date but what would it matter? Less of a fan? BK1+2, Atlanta, Seattle, Hartford, Memphis....
    No, wouldn't be less of a fan. I assumed it wasn't up to date but just would have been curious why the sudden interest all of a sudden.
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    rgambs said:

hedonist said:

badbrains said:

ldent42 said:

badbrains said:

The question I have for wishlist members is, are they automatically getting tix while the rest of us have to go into a lottery? And why keep this shit private and now all of a sudden come forth with this? Because of the New York show?

Some people come here and talk shit about one crowd sourcing show and are all up for one being held by wishlist? I don't trust anyone and think both sides are questionable. And what's with all this hippie let's all camp and get "grungy" at the gorge? Give me manhattan ANYDAY over some place I have to worry about where the fuck I'm gonna shit. Fuck that. I have $100 for a show at msg, make that happen and fuck both crowd sourcing shit.

The venue they are suggesting is in Queens, not Manhattan. like 20-30 minutes from Penn if you get the express.

I've actually looked around the GoFundMe site out of boredom to see some of the things people post on there - it's kind of amazing. I should really start one. My cat needs braces. (knocks on wood.)
    Oh I know where the place is in queens, drive past it all the time on the way to JFK. When I said give me manhattan ANYDAY, I was referring to msg. And that place is in manhattan cuz that's like my home away from home. (Used to have rangers season tix).

See hedonist, I always watch out for us people who aren't to keen on this camping shit. I need a bed, a pillow, shower and shitter, possiblely a tv for when I'm trying to sleep. I don't want a rock for a pillow and a tree for a shitter.

And it's 100% BULLSHIT if wishlist members ALL get tix while us common folks have to go into a lottery. This I CANT SEE THE BAND BEING COOL WITH. No fucken way. But then again, it is VERY odd I see people posting pics of the wishlist parties and same people end up on the rail. How is this even possible? Don't answer it, I already know who, what and how. "Don't you know who i am?" So fuck queens, fuck Seattle, let's have this shindig at msg for ANYONE who wants to attend.
    BB, I've never been camping :D Open to the experience, but the needs you mentioned are mine as well.

(and cheers to yellow and shep! Same page here)
    You haven't lived until you've pooped in the woods!
    MUST do camping!! Best experience ever next to a good live show! As for THIS live show?? I
    Honestly just DO NOT see this happening. Too many obstacles, too many variables, no professionals involved, just a whim and a whisp if hope. I looked up this venue.. I can't see this going over at all.. But.. I' seen this band do weirder things! Good luck!

Now Hedo! Go camping!
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Nope and nope to you and Mr. gambs! I'm past the point where my back would allow it and my wuss-ass self would tolerate it.

I do love nature though. Just not taking care of that kind of business in the midst of it :D
  • Options
    Red Mosquito75Red Mosquito75 Moline IL Posts: 1,034
    edited November 2014
    This idea sounds intriguing but no offense a little weird.
    I would rather see them somewhere like the gorge.
    I like the idea of the band going in your and then seeing which shows I can make, which shows are odd events like Moline.
    Besides love of their fans why would the band need or want to do something like this.
    This is Not For You
  • Options

This idea sounds intriguing but no offense a little weird.
    I would rather see them somewhere like the gorge.
    I like the idea of the band going in your and then seeing which shows I can make, which shows are odd events like Moline.
    Besides love of their fans why would the band need or want to do something like this.

Yeah, another show in NY isn't that interesting to me. Been there, done that. Love any show but I am more interested in seeing new places.
  • Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    Don't get me wrong, I like this idea a lot. I thought it was really cool when the Foo fans originally did it. My question is if this does go over the tilt number of $100k, what happens to everyone who gets charged and the goal still isn't met? I remember reading somewhere that PJ costs in the Neighborhood of $750k (and that's if they even agree to play or are available).

How can people trust that between the tilt number of $100k and the band's $750k the money will not be spent or kept? I've read in the past of kickstarters where people have raised money and then pissed it away and not delivering on the pledge agreements. Not that I'm an expert around here or anything but someone with only a handful of posts comes on here and starts collecting money from everyone for a pipe-dream concert raises a little concern for me.

Maybe it's because I've been burned on line before but I'm just a little hesitant. Hopefully you can address some of my concerns and help me (and others) lean towards donating who are currently on the fringe.

Thanks a lot for your time.
    -DMW
  • Options
    Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,812
    badbrains said:

Wishlist hasn't announced the campaign yet because we're still working on the details. Here's the quote, originally from Facebook, explaining why I posted about our project.
    lazloblue said:

This was posted over on FB::

In light of recent events, I'm reposting this from our Wishlist Foundation Group for anyone interested.

Back in early September, Wishlist Foundation began working on developing a fan-sourced (crowd-sourced) campaign to raise enough money to host a Pearl Jam concert weekend on or around October 22, 2015 at the infamous Gorge Amphitheater in Gorge, WA.

Part 25th anniversary celebration, part thank you, part activism fan movement, Wishlist Foundation plans on rolling out this campaign between Christmas and New Years.

Today another crowd-source event was announced to bring the band to Forest Hills, NY that will last the next 88 days. Wishlist was approached by the organizer to work together via PM, at which point I informed him of our existing plans, offered to work together/include him in ours and genuinely wished him well when he politely declined.

Because our campaign will launch within the 88 days of the Forest Hills campaign, I thought it would be polite and in good community spirit to mention the Wishlist campaign in advance, as a preemptive attempt to dispel any potential negativity that Wishlist was trying to 'step on his toes or steal his thunder'. That isn't and won't be, our intent.

We realize people are now interested in our campaign, but we're not ready to release any details more specific than I posted here. When we announce, we want to make sure we do it right - with facts, specific goals, specific ticket expectations, rewards, etc. We're not going to have our hand forced because someone else in our PJ community is borrowing the same awesome idea from the Foo Fighters fans.

We LOVE the fan community. It is our family and has been for the last ten years. Myself, and all of us at Wishlist, genuinely believe that each and every fan can make a HUGE difference and a HUGE positive impact on the world, within our fan community and especially with each other.

We've seen it happen. Witnessed your generosity and extraordinary efforts.

Fan motivated and created events are how Wishlist started. We support lots of individual and smaller fan group related projects, causes and more. We've supported individuals and fans both publicly and quietly out of the public eye. I don't feel the need to list them - it's not about naming names to prove a point.

We're grassroots. We're volunteers. We're fans. We wish everyone who is trying to do a good thing the best of luck. It's how we believe the world should be.

"With my two hands, I can change the world"

So we're working on the project, but it's not ready to be announced yet and hasn't been.
    PJ_Soul said:

Of course all the Wishlist people and all their friends will automatically get tix. I'd say that's a given.

It's not a given and that's not correct. Ticketing will be 100% fair across the board.

It seems people are getting things confused too.

Forest Hills Tilt crowdsource = announced = not Wishlist

Gorge campaign = NOT announced = Wishlist

Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • Options
    shep said:

so many things I want to say about this, but I'm going to refrain from an essay and just point out a couple of obvious things:

Agree with many that this "crowdfunding" thing is BS. It's basically attempting to strong-arm the band into doing what you want them to do... If someone was attempting to do that to me, I'd tell them to go fuck themselves.

While I don't support this idea the wishlist has in principle, I'm very conflicted as I have been waiting for a weekend at the gorge forever... I really want to go, but I wish the wishlist would stay the fuck out of it.

Sorry you feel this way, without even knowing any of the details other than the location and a vague date. Hopefully you'll reconsider when we announce the campaign. I
    shep said:

I'm going to put this simply: if wishlist gets their way, the whole thing will turn into a debacle and playing favorites. Everyone close to them will likely wind up with the best seats, and other perks. Don't forget that while their intent is raising money for charity, they will take this opportunity to set themselves up for the best seats/views/whatever other perks they can get for their favorite band. the whole thing will turn into a popularity contest. (and I mean no ill will against the wishlist and their work - I applaud them for it - but you're a charity, not a concert promoter).

I appreciate your opinion. I respectfully disagree completely. You have no idea what our campaign plans are or the mechanisms behind them, therefore you can't truly judge without the facts. I can guarantee you that no one in Wishlist Foundation will "take the opportunity to set themselves up for the best seats/views/whatever" That's not how we operate. If you've personally witnessed anything contrary to that, please shoot me a PM about it so I can look into it.
    shep said:

Finally, I'm in favor of companies that are experts in an area organizing things (i.e. LN/TM) and not people attempting to fumble their way through it with no experience... say what you want about LN/TM, at they know what they're doing... if this gets organized by someone with no experience, get ready for a debacle.

We are too, which is one of the many reasons why our plans are still in the works.
    Wishlist Foundation

♥♥♥
  • Options

Some things I don't get- why the Gorge at the end of October? Don't most amphitheaters in the north shut down in September? I know around me they are. You run a real risk of a show being played in the 30-40 degree area. And it does seem a little like forcing the band to celebrate 25 years. And forcing them to do it somewhere when they may have already had a plans for it. or when they maybe just wanted to relax next year. Also, why not do it in a more accessible area or venue? It also seems like people love to force Seattle or Washington state on them. Not meant to bash, just curious.

Wishlist is 100% set on going for the Gorge, because...it's the freekin Gorge. Now if we were lucky enough that PJ liked our campaign idea but would want to see it play out at Red Rocks, I don't think any of us will be complaining :D

The Wishlist campaign will have a slightly different slant than the Forest Hills one. The October date is one of a few that will be suggested, but obviously ANY date they want is what we all want too. We want to make it work and are trying to allow for flexibility as much as possible, though we all realize it's still a slim shot to even happen.

Just a reminder - the Forest Hills crowdsource that is active now and is not a Wishlist thing.
    Wishlist Foundation

♥♥♥
  • Options
    i heard that wishlist people get free backstage passes to many shows so their tickets are free
  • Options
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, same people on the rail are the people at the preparties. How does this happen? Don't believe me, look at the pics of the preparties and look and see who's on the rail. Not hard, just look at peoples twitter pics. So I'm wondering, how does someone attend a preparty say till around 5/6 and then end up on the rail while some people have been waiting since 4AM? And I'm not the only one who's noticed either.
This discussion has been closed.