Options

Pearl Jam limited edition chrome Pono Player

Comments

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    MedozK said:

lolobugg said:

MedozK said:

Those that listen to a lot of Hi-res music..which would you recommend ALAC/FLAC or AIFF?

i have never purchased any AIFF.
    I know my friend who is an audio engineer works with that format I believe.
    I haven't either. I just know it is uncompressed.
    Yeah, probably very similar.
    I have just always done FLAC since it is really the primary for online bootleg traders.
    real comfortable with it and have been using it since it became the standard on the torrent sites.
    I ask my friend about AIFF and let you know.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    All I know is that AIFF takes up a lot more storage.
  • Options
    MedozK said:

Yeah, my friend says it is an Apple file format that he uses with a recording program called Logic Pro. It gives you the option to convert to WAV files or AIFF. but you are correct, FLAC takes up less space with no degradation.

I guess based on what he says, AIFF is more for the editing side of it and FLAC is the final product. maybe??
    have you seen any files for sale in AIFF?

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,462
    Just landed in LA and see that my Pono landed on my doorstep in Texas
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    KV4053 said:

Just landed in LA and see that my Pono landed on my doorstep in Texas

bummer.
    damn Louisville!!!

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    lolobugg said:

MedozK said:

Yeah, my friend says it is an Apple file format that he uses with a recording program called Logic Pro. It gives you the option to convert to WAV files or AIFF. but you are correct, FLAC takes up less space with no degradation.

I guess based on what he says, AIFF is more for the editing side of it and FLAC is the final product. maybe??
    Yes. HDTracks gives you the option of AIFF. I'm just wondering if the sound stage sounds better since it has no compression at all.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    lolobugg said:

MedozK said:

I think Apple's done a bad job of explaining and/or marketing their formats.

Apple's equivalent to WAV is AIFF - lossless, and uncompressed.
    Their equivalent to FLAC is Apple Lossless - lossless, and compressed.
    Their equivalent to MP3 is AAC - lossy, and compressed.
    While AAC and MP3 can differ based on the way the compression algorithms affect different bit rates of audio, WAV should more or less equal AIFF in size (and should be equivalent in quality), and FLAC should more or less equal Apple Lossless in size (and should be equivalent in quality). Also, WAV and AIFF may be great for recording because on-the-fly compressing and uncompressing are taxing on a system with large files (and multiple tracks), but us consumers aren't mixing - just playing back. The point of lossless audio is just that: there is no loss. Hence, FLAC, Apple Lossless, WAV, and AIFF, are identical audio tracks with no degradation in quality, and it is best to opt for FLAC or Apple Lossless for playback: far smaller size, no downside.

For any Mac users, XLD is free and will convert from FLAC to Apple Lossless in literally seconds - it's just uncompressing it with one known algorithm, and recompressing it with another known algorithm.

The two biggest differences between an iOS device and the Pono as far as I can tell are the ability to play 24-bit (which requires software - Pono does this out of the box, Apple has not enabled 24-bit playback although there are rumours they will), and the ability to output with that high fidelity (this requires digital-audio converters, which Pono has higher quality DACs, and it's not been confirmed but theoretically the DACs in at least the iPhone 6 can output 24-bit).

Rather than have a Toblerone with headphones plugged in residing in my pocket, I just pre-ordered one of these (https://www.ampaudio.com). Even if the digital-audio converters (DACs) are only marginally superior to Apple's own DACs (custom Cirrus Audio components apparently), the Amp extracts audio from the Lightning connector directly (aka line quality) and in 24-bit (compared to iOS's stock 16-bit maximum), gives you a bit more battery juice (and the ability to charge with MicroUSB) and does some amplification (which is great since my headphones are 250 ohm and I find it needs a bit more of a drive sometimes). To be clear - SoundFocus (the company that makes Amp Audio) will need to develop a playback engine that outputs 24-bit through the Lightning connector in order for the DACs to receive a 24-bit signal to decode, and music will not be storable in the standard Music Library on iOS devices until the time when Apple decides to allow 24-bit playback. Because of this, my understanding is that 24-bit files would only be accessible through the companion app or a third-party 24-bit audio player, and only when the Amp is attached.

/geek talk concluded
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,856
    Updates on Shipments and Shipping Issues

Posted by the PonoMusic Team

Dear Pono Backers,

As you’ve probably heard, shipment of Kickstarter PonoPlayers has already started! Once your PonoPlayer has shipped, you will receive an email notification containing a UPS tracking number. You should also be able to see your order along with tracking information under your PonoMusic account’s My Orders tab. Please note that your signature is required by UPS for the package delivery.

Along with your shipping confirmation you will be provided beta access to the PonoMusic Store. This will also give you access to the PonoMusic World desktop application for downloading and managing your music library, syncing music to your PonoPlayer, and firmware updates for your PonoPlayer.

Our logistics team reports that most players are shipping successfully but there are a number of issues that they have run into. These issues are explained below:

Invalid/Missing Shipping Address or Phone Number

UPS requires a valid shipping address along with a phone number that can be called from within your country in case UPS cannot find your address. If you have NOT provided us a valid address and phone number, please email this information to us at support@ponomusic.com in order to avoid delays in shipment.

NOTE: Your address must be provided using English alphabet exclusively or it will be rejected by UPS.

Countries Restricting Bamboo Boxes

The PonoPlayer normally comes packaged in a bamboo box, but due to agricultural restrictions for bamboo in the countries listed below, we are not permitted to include the box with your PonoPlayer. We are in the process of substituting the bamboo boxes with cardboard boxes for these countries. This results in about a 10 day delay in shipment to the following countries:

• Argentina

• Australia

• Chile

• Colombia

• Korea

• Malaysia

• Mexico

• New Zealand

• Peru

• Philippines

• French Polynesia

• Israel

Countries Requiring Additional Taxes, Duties, or Paperwork to Clear Customs

There are a few countries where there are additional taxes, duties and paperwork required. If you live in one of the countries below, you will be soon be receiving an email to confirm that you are aware of these issue to clear customs and schedule your the delivery. Alternatively, you can provide us a shipping address in the US or Canada.

• Azerbaijan

• Argentina

• Brazil

• Korea

• Russia*

• Portugal

• Cyprus

• Romania

• Belarus

• Indonesia

• Colombia

• Philippines

(*Unfortunately due to Russia’s new requirements the shipments to individuals are not permitted by companies that do not have an office in the country.)

Support

If you have any questions please contact: support@ponomusic.com

Mahalo!

The PonoMusic Team
  • Options
    tribejammer05tribejammer05 W'Ville, OH Posts: 696
    Sorry, no Ruskies.
    "There's a $10,000 bill in it for you."
    "Oh yeah? Which president's on it?"
    "Uh, all of them. They're having a party. Jimmy Carter's passed out on the couch."

Columbus 2000
    Columbus 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Toledo 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Chicago/Lollapalooza 2007
    Columbus 2010
    Chicago/Wrigley 2013
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Portland 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
  • Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    Missed 1st delivery attempt by 5 mins. ~X(

Hope to be home for tomorrow's delivery window...
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• Options
    I wonder what's going to happen to the ones that were supposed to go to Russia. Sucks for them, but at least they have freedom of speech and solid human rights.
  • Options
    BikePHLBikePHL Posts: 471
    I just drove down to UPS to pick mine up. All I can tell you about it right now is that it is shiny and comes in a nice box...
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater - June 25, 2011, Tres Mountains - TLA - March 23, 2011, Brad - World Cafe Live- Oct. 10, 2010, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 31, 2009, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 12, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 11,2009, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 20, 2008, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 19, 2008, Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - May 27, 2006, Wachovia Center - Oct 03, 2005, Fleet Center - Sep 29, 2004, Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003, Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003, First Union Spectrum Arena - Apr 28, 2003, Blockbuster Music Entertainment Center - Aug 29, 1998, RFK Stadium - Jun 14, 1998
  • Options
    Woohoo now I get a cardboard box, awesome, not.
    What do you do....
    Arms wide open with the sea as my floor.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    gvn2fly12 said:

Woohoo now I get a cardboard box, awesome, not.
    What do you do....

might seem like a small detail but its hard to believe this wasn't thought of before.

can you not divert to a friend? or would them shipping it cause problems at customs regardless. Sorry if this is a dumb question - I just have no idea how the restrictions work
  • Options
    rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    This email really bummed me out this morning :-(
    demetrios said:

Updates on Shipments and Shipping Issues

Posted by the PonoMusic Team

Dear Pono Backers,

As you’ve probably heard, shipment of Kickstarter PonoPlayers has already started! Once your PonoPlayer has shipped, you will receive an email notification containing a UPS tracking number. You should also be able to see your order along with tracking information under your PonoMusic account’s My Orders tab. Please note that your signature is required by UPS for the package delivery.

Along with your shipping confirmation you will be provided beta access to the PonoMusic Store. This will also give you access to the PonoMusic World desktop application for downloading and managing your music library, syncing music to your PonoPlayer, and firmware updates for your PonoPlayer.

Our logistics team reports that most players are shipping successfully but there are a number of issues that they have run into. These issues are explained below:

Invalid/Missing Shipping Address or Phone Number

UPS requires a valid shipping address along with a phone number that can be called from within your country in case UPS cannot find your address. If you have NOT provided us a valid address and phone number, please email this information to us at support@ponomusic.com in order to avoid delays in shipment.

NOTE: Your address must be provided using English alphabet exclusively or it will be rejected by UPS.

Countries Restricting Bamboo Boxes

The PonoPlayer normally comes packaged in a bamboo box, but due to agricultural restrictions for bamboo in the countries listed below, we are not permitted to include the box with your PonoPlayer. We are in the process of substituting the bamboo boxes with cardboard boxes for these countries. This results in about a 10 day delay in shipment to the following countries:

• Argentina

• Australia

• Chile

• Colombia

• Korea

• Malaysia

• Mexico

• New Zealand

• Peru

• Philippines

• French Polynesia

• Israel

Countries Requiring Additional Taxes, Duties, or Paperwork to Clear Customs

There are a few countries where there are additional taxes, duties and paperwork required. If you live in one of the countries below, you will be soon be receiving an email to confirm that you are aware of these issue to clear customs and schedule your the delivery. Alternatively, you can provide us a shipping address in the US or Canada.

• Azerbaijan

• Argentina

• Brazil

• Korea

• Russia*

• Portugal

• Cyprus

• Romania

• Belarus

• Indonesia

• Colombia

• Philippines

(*Unfortunately due to Russia’s new requirements the shipments to individuals are not permitted by companies that do not have an office in the country.)

Support

If you have any questions please contact: support@ponomusic.com

Mahalo!

The PonoMusic Team

Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • Options
    Got mine last night from UPS.
    Here are a few first impressions:
    1. Not as heavy as it looks
    2.Touch screen is a little different than what I am used to (smartphones, etc)
    3.Music sounds amazing (LB and Vs.) thru Sennheiser headphones.

haven't connected it to the music store yet and haven't connected it to my home system
    looking forward to playing around with it again tonight.
    maybe load some HD boots on it if I can figure out the interface.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    rafie said:

This email really bummed me out this morning :-(

If you would like, you can divert shipping to me in the states and Ii'll ship it off to you with the real box. I'm sure others here would offer to do the same.

• Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    lolobugg said:

haven't connected it to the music store yet and haven't connected it to my home system

Yeah, so how is the touch screen? No one has really talked about that. Are you happy with it?
  • Options
    i got idi got id Posts: 862
    lolobugg said:

Which sennheiser do you use?
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    edited November 2014
    october22 said:

Yeah, so how is the touch screen? No one has really talked about that. Are you happy with it?

It's functional and it works well. The menus I'm still working out, but I have no issues with the touch screen. It scrolls nicely and is overall responsive.
    i got id said:

Which sennheiser do you use?

Currently using some HD-202s, which were about $50 if I remember right. Nothing spectacular, but they sound great here in my office. I'm considering picking up some Over Ear Momentums. But I'd like to listen to some first.

That said, as amazing as this sounds with headphones, it sounds even better hooked up to my home stereo.

Edit: One more comment on the overall appearance. It's really a brushed metal look, rather than the chrome we've seen in the KickStarter pictures.
    Post edited by Travelar on
  • Options
    october22 said:

lolobugg said:

It is ok. the functionality will be fine once I am used to it.
    It can seem a little small if you are used to a smartphone touchscreen.
    and mine has some weird smudges on it the I hope can be removed. hope they are not permanent scratches.
    I haven't found a way yet to turn off the screen, it has been going to sleep mode by itself.
    but it does get a little warm so I am not sure it is completely off
    visually the screen is really crisp. has the album graphics and when you touch it, it will pull up the tracklisting.
    for some reason I want to keep pressing the buttons.
    they literally only turn the volume up and down.....
    as for the circle button, don't know wtf it does. maybe I should do more research.
    it's not like I haven't had the time to figure this stuff out. :))

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    so after googling- I am using something like the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones.
    looks like the price has dropped by a $100 or so since I bought mine.
    good pair of headphones for $100 if anyone prefers the studio style/closed back.
    As I said before I would be open to trying out some of their open back line.
    Anyone on here have that type?

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Great headphones are a must. With any audiophile equipment you are only as good as your weakest piece
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,167
    I get to pick up my PJ Pono at my UPS Store after work today :D

I bought a pair of Sennheiser Momentums last week...I'll have the weekend to fuck around with it.

I also have to smarten up with FLAC, HD, Converting live shows into great quality etc. I never really got into this before, when I wanted the best quality I just put on a vinyl.

Time to educate myself.

Really quick if someone knows...to listen to a bootleg at the highest resolution on the PONO....do I just buy a FLAC and tranSfer it onto PONO??
  • Options
    CROJAM95 said:

I get to pick up my PJ Pono at my UPS Store after work today :D

I bought a pair of Sennheiser Momentums last week...I'll have the weekend to fuck around with it.

I also have to smarten up with FLAC, HD, Converting live shows into great quality etc. I never really got into this before, when I wanted the best quality I just put on a vinyl.

Time to educate myself.

Really quick if someone knows...to listen to a bootleg at the highest resolution on the PONO....do I just buy a FLAC and tranSfer it onto PONO??

FLAC HD and then hopefully you can transfer it with the PONO interface
    I am gonna try it tonight.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    tribejammer05tribejammer05 W'Ville, OH Posts: 696
    CROJAM95 said:

I bought a pair of Sennheiser Momentums last week

Did you get the on-ears or over-the-ears?
    "There's a $10,000 bill in it for you."
    "Oh yeah? Which president's on it?"
    "Uh, all of them. They're having a party. Jimmy Carter's passed out on the couch."

Columbus 2000
    Columbus 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Toledo 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Chicago/Lollapalooza 2007
    Columbus 2010
    Chicago/Wrigley 2013
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Portland 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
  • Options
    davidosdavidos Posts: 468

Great headphones are a must. With any audiophile equipment you are only as good as your weakest piece

I have the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones... they are great but a little heavy... wish I could find some earbuds that sounded as good... anyone?

• Options
    davidos said:

I have the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones... they are great but a little heavy... wish I could find some earbuds that sounded as good... anyone?

I had some Shure monitor ear buds that were pretty awesome.
    not sure they still make them.
    I found them recently during my move.
    I might plug the bastards in tonight.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,167

CROJAM95 said:

I bought a pair of Sennheiser Momentums last week

Did you get the on-ears or over-the-ears?

Over the ear...I always have gone that route

Thanks lolobugg.....and good luck