Binaural Sequel?

CD1083CD1083 Albany, NY Posts: 58
Do you think there's any chance of a sequel to Binaural.

I'm referring to the recording technique used and not specifically the album content. I'd love to see Stone and Jeff get to work some eargasm magic.

Is it possible or do you think that it just doesn't make enough business sense?
Tagged:

Comments

• Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    If it sounds anything like the first one, no thanks.
  • jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778

Couldn't disagree more. Love that album.
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201

Thou shall not blaspheme!
  • jmug23 said:

Couldn't disagree more. Love that album.
    I don't think he's talking about the songs. I think he's talking about the production....which does kinda suck. The rockers like Grievance, God's Dice, and Breakerfall seem so uninspired on the record but they're all great on the 2000 tour bootlegs.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Try listening to other records recorded binaurally - a very awesome technique!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

Try listening to other records recorded binaurally - a very awesome technique!

I assume the binaural sound is heard through headphones or maybe on vinyl and I don't use headphones because with my trashed ears the sound is too close and can tweek the nerves and I don't have the vinyl. What makes the sound unique? Can you describe it? Thanks!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• cottagesteezecottagesteeze St. Paul, MN Posts: 218
    It loses the binaural sensation if you don't use headphones. The recording is made by using 2 microphones (usually mounted on the ears of a "dummy head") to create a 3D sound like we hear normally. one ear will hear the sound slightly before or slightly louder than the other depending on where the sound originates. This is why in the real world you can tell from which direction a sound is coming, but on a classic recording it all sounds the same.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6TmHSONf-c
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    Yeah it definatly sounds a little off in my car but on my iPod with headphones on it's unreal, and that's just the crappy iTunes version, I can't imagine what the vinyl would sound like.
    Thanks for the description, cottagesteeze. Interesting!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2014
    I would love it very much if they tried. Binaural is a masterpiece and it would be awesome to hear what they, especially Jeff, might come up with to keep that kind of mood and style. (Still can't fathom how anyone could not love Binaural.... no accounting for taste! Also, I think the record sounds great... top three sound wise, along with Riot Act and Lost Dogs)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Try listening to The Finn Brothers self titled debut record. I think the technique shines on that record.
    www.cluthelee.com
    Binaural stinks. I hate to have to listen to my favorite band with 1992's finest set of headphones under the covers with the doors cracked open to get the best sound.

Binaural stinks. I hate to have to listen to my favorite band with 1992's finest set of headphones under the covers with the doors cracked open to get the best sound.

:))
    A man who doesn't mince words! :-)

edited November 2014
    I'm just not sure what you're all talking about. I have a lot of high quality records and think I know my shit to at least some extent, and i think this record sounds really good on my system. Meanwhile some of you are talking like it sounds like shit? :-/ Is there something wrong with my ears or something?? (If there is, apparently it makes bad quality sound good... that's a pretty awesome hearing problem!)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

I'm just not sure what you're all talking about. I have a lot of high quality records and think I know my shit to at least some extent, and i think this record sounds really good on my system. Meanwhile some of you are talking like it sounds like shit? :-/ Is there something wrong with my ears or something?? (If there is, apparent it makes bad quality sound good... that's a pretty awesome hearing problem!)

I'm sure it sounds great on your equipment. I just don't like the CD, or album, or tape, or iPod recording.
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    I think Binaural sounds great and just to note as it hasn't been mentioned yet: the binaural recording technique was only used on a couple tracks. Sleight, Of The Girl, NAIS, and I think Rival. All of the other tracks sound tight and have plenty of punch.
  • jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    PJ_Soul said:

I'm just not sure what you're all talking about. I have a lot of high quality records and think I know my shit to at least some extent, and i think this record sounds really good on my system. Meanwhile some of you are talking like it sounds like shit? :-/ Is there something wrong with my ears or something?? (If there is, apparent it makes bad quality sound good... that's a pretty awesome hearing problem!)

I agree. Love the way it sounds and love the album. I guess my ears aren't advanced enough to tell the difference.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    rival. said:

I think Binaural sounds great and just to note as it hasn't been mentioned yet: the binaural recording technique was only used on a couple tracks. Sleight, Of The Girl, NAIS, and I think Rival. All of the other tracks sound tight and have plenty of punch.

The 4 best songs on the album IMO
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    This album came out when I was into a lot of other bands and had slowed big time on pj. The album is pretty good, but not my favorite. I think if I wasn't a huge pj fan and always acting like they can't do anything wrong i may go ahead and say this album sucks.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    PJ_Soul said:

I'm just not sure what you're all talking about. I have a lot of high quality records and think I know my shit to at least some extent, and i think this record sounds really good on my system. Meanwhile some of you are talking like it sounds like shit? :-/ Is there something wrong with my ears or something?? (If there is, apparently it makes bad quality sound good... that's a pretty awesome hearing problem!)

To be honest, PJ_Soul, Binaural is one of my least favorite PJ records and I've tried several times to warm up to it. My guess is that if I had the vinyl and spun it on my Project turn table/Marantz receiver/Polk Audio speaker system my interest in that LP would go up at least a notch or two.

TEN CLUB: IF YOU WERE TO RE-RELEASE THE MIDDLE PERIOD ALBUMS ON VINYL, I WOULD BE ON IT RIGHT NOW!

No Pearl Jam album stinks in my opinion. Guess that's the difference between those that will always love the band & those that conditionally love the band.
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited November 2014

No Pearl Jam album stinks in my opinion. Guess that's the difference between those that will always love the band & those that conditionally love the band.

I don't know if that makes sense. I don't like Backspacer at all, and despise a handful of their songs (Future Days, etc), yet I still LOVE the band. THAT is unconditional love, i.e., even of they put out a stinker I still love them every bit as much as I always did - if anything, I like the band more and more as time goes on, despite a recent bad album.

... not that I'm proud to say I may feel unconditional love for this band. Unless you're talking about your own children, having unconditional love for something is usually actually pretty stupid. It makes you a doormat or a sucker, lol.

That's because you're a die hard fan. There's nothing wrong with people who just love a large variety of music either. There's 1000's of bands out there, everyone has their own tastes. Most people on here just love anything PJ, and are more than somewhat biased about their catalogue. I don't think it's a conditional fan as you put it, just fans who happen to be fans of things other than Pj too.

Think about it this way- if you weren't a huge Doors fan, would you give a shit about The Soft Parade? Probably not. But die hard doors fans will argue back and forth all day about how fantastic that album is.

Binaural to the general public is NOT known as an amazing album. It's just not. You can argue the merits of it all day, but it's simply not their shining achievement as a band, and album sales show it was their first album to not reach platinum level.
    edited November 2014
    I don't think that's it either. I am a die hard fan. And i am also a huge fan of a lot of other bands/music. I can't relate with the idea of only listening to Pearl Jam or even listening to them a majority of the time. And there are some things the PJ has done that i don't like. And i think everyone knows I'm a HUGE dedicated PJ fan anyway (and LOVE Binaural). Being honest and discriminating about PJ's work doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how much someone loves the band or how big a fan they are. If anything, I find it weird that some people think we have to be in love with everything the band does to be a dedicated fan. That makes no sense to me. Blind love isn't even fulfilling.

(Anyway, Wtf were we talking about?? Lol. Oh yeah... Binaural 2. Would be awesome. ;) )
    ^^ I don't agree. I think there's a lot of blind love of their stuff. Some of their merch is just terrible, we have to agree on that- but there's some people on this forum who will say it's fantastic, even when knowing that it's a bit crappy.

^^ I don't agree. I think there's a lot of blind love of their stuff. Some of their merch is just terrible, we have to agree on that- but there's some people on this forum who will say it's fantastic, even when knowing that it's a bit crappy.

Yes, there is a lot of blind love... i was saying that I don't get it and was making the point that one needn't have blind love for the band to be a dedicated fan, since I am a dedicated huge fan and don't have blind love for everything the band does..... what are you disagreeing with?? I don't understand, lol.
    ^^ then I agree! I disagree with disagreeing.
    :))
    Anyway, back to binaural

Anyway, back to binaural

Just spun it q couple hours ago... it was awesome. Parting Ways just might be PJ's best album closer (or maybe All or None). I particularly like the heavy "Jeff sound" on Binaural. So when I think about them doing another album that seems like a follow up to this album I automatically think of it as a Jeff album. You can really hear touches of it in Jeff's side projects even - that Jeffy style, lol.