cant believe they SCAMMED me....

Comments

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, if anyone asks for money before the day of the show always say no, since the person has to pick them up at will call, so there is NO reason for them to want that unless they are ripping you off.

I actually disagree with this. I've had extra non-10c tix to shows before but I never confirm until I have payment. I guess it just depends on both parties, but if I can give credentials, like my eBay ID, personal email and phone number, or in PJ's case, the fact that I have over 3,000 posts on here, that should buy some goodwill.

Still curious how the OP made payment.
    Bingo! paid in full up front in cash. didnt want to miss out. again, i trusted that a member of the family wouldn't F me over.
    So you handed a total stranger a bunch of cash up front and didn't go with them to the ticket window? What reason could he possibly give you to do it that way that you would trust it? Didn't ask to hold collateral like his drivers license? No name? Just handed a stranger lots of cash on the street?

Really?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2014

PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, if anyone asks for money before the day of the show always say no, since the person has to pick them up at will call, so there is NO reason for them to want that unless they are ripping you off.

I actually disagree with this. I've had extra non-10c tix to shows before but I never confirm until I have payment. I guess it just depends on both parties, but if I can give credentials, like my eBay ID, personal email and phone number, or in PJ's case, the fact that I have over 3,000 posts on here, that should buy some goodwill.

Sorry, I was only talking about 10c tix, since GA are automatically 10c and they all have to be picked up at will call. That's fine if a seller wants to ask for prepayment for 10c tix, but a buyer should never ever do that unless theu know the person - I would never bail on someone... but what if I sold a 10c ticket before hand and died or got in an accident or got really sick or something? The buyer would still be without a ticket and at least temporarily out the money no matter how good my intentions are.
    (i don't prepay, but I have had a 10c member bail on me for a selfish and rude reason when they had promised to sell me tix for a non-PJ show, and i got stuck without a ticket. If I'd prepaid they still might have bailed and I'd have been out a ticket AND my money. 10c members are far from Infallible ;) ).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    PJ_Soul said:

Sorry, I was only talking about 10c tix, since GA are automatically 10c and they all have to be picked up at will call. That's fine if a seller wants to ask for prepayment for 10c tix, but a buyer should never ever do that unless theu know the person - I would never bail on someone... but what if I sold a 10c ticket before hand and died or got in an accident or got really sick or something? The buyer would still be without a ticket and at least temporarily out the money no matter how good my intentions are.
    (i don't prepay, but I have had a 10c member bail on me for a selfish and rude reason when they had promised to sell me tix for a non-PJ show, and i got stuck without a ticket. If I'd prepaid they still might have bailed and I'd have been out a ticket AND my money. 10c members are far from Infallible ;) ).

I hear ya, but short of intentionally ripping someone off, I feel like once payment is made, both parties are bound. As a seller, I'm not going to hold tickets for someone without payment, because they could just as easily bail on me. As a buyer, I would definitely run my own background check (board ID, ebay, facebook, ask for a drivers license, home address, phone number). If someone is buying from me, I actually recommend that they see my ebay feedback, board history, even my work website/email to see that I'm not going to jeopardize my career to rip someone off.

I hope the OP is telling the truth, because making something like this up to get a ticket is just as bad as ripping someone off.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
    edited October 2014

PJ_Soul said:

I hear ya, but short of intentionally ripping someone off, I feel like once payment is made, both parties are bound. As a seller, I'm not going to hold tickets for someone without payment, because they could just as easily bail on me. As a buyer, I would definitely run my own background check (board ID, ebay, facebook, ask for a drivers license, home address, phone number). If someone is buying from me, I actually recommend that they see my ebay feedback, board history, even my work website/email to see that I'm not going to jeopardize my career to rip someone off.

I hope the OP is telling the truth, because making something like this up to get a ticket is just as bad as ripping someone off.
    Fair enough... but what if something put of your control kept you from making it to the show? It is a LOT easier to sell 10c tix that it is to find them! I think the risk is always much more with the buyer, not the seller. As a seller, i wouldn't ask anyone to prepay because I'd know I could find another buyer no sweat if they bailed (in fact, that happened to me last year with my spare GA ticket... i found another buyer in about 20 minutes, lol!). But if i (or whoever) couldn't show up, the buyer has no tix and no money!

But whole.other story with TM tix. Then you just get them to PayPal using goods and services, and then transfer the tix to them online through the TM website. No reason anyone should ever get a bad surprise when you're dealing with ticketmaster tickets.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    PJ_Soul said:

Fair enough... but what if something put of your control kept you from making it to the show? It is a LOT easier to sell 10c tix that it is to find them! I think the risk is always much more with the buyer, not the seller. As a seller, i wouldn't ask anyone to prepay because I'd know I could find another buyer no sweat if they bailed. But if i (or whoever) couldn't show up, the buyer has no tix and no money!

That's true for some shows, but it seemed like there were a lot of extras on the last day for some shows too. I would hope that any seller would refund the money if something came up and he couldn't make it.

It would be nice if buying tickets wasn't such a headache and risk. Unfortunately the scalpers are the only ones who win in this system.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Who says the seller was a fucking fan? You can be whoever you want on Craigslist. I haven't and won't ever use it.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Long, LONG, story short, i was just scammed out of a ton of money on....you guessed it....craigslist.

I jut moved to Denver last month and i didn't have GA tkts to tonites show. Bought some online via craigslist and did the dumbest thing ever....i trusted a fellow PJ fan to do me right. I paid in full BEFORE getting the tickets and now, i cant get a hold of the guy. I paid a lot and got burned, im a moron.

Anyway, if anyone happens to have spare Denver tickets, i can pay face....i'd have paid more, but thats all i have left...

thanks,

What made you go and pay on Craigslist? Why did you not try here first?
  • Long, LONG, story short, i was just scammed out of a ton of money on....you guessed it....craigslist.

I jut moved to Denver last month and i didn't have GA tkts to tonites show. Bought some online via craigslist and did the dumbest thing ever....i trusted a fellow PJ fan to do me right. I paid in full BEFORE getting the tickets and now, i cant get a hold of the guy. I paid a lot and got burned, im a moron.

Anyway, if anyone happens to have spare Denver tickets, i can pay face....i'd have paid more, but thats all i have left...

thanks,

What made you go to and pay on Craigslist? Why did you not try here first?
  • Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,225
    edited October 2014

PJ_Soul said:

Bingo! paid in full up front in cash. didnt want to miss out. again, i trusted that a member of the family wouldn't F me over.

I'm calling BS. I hate to see anyone ripped off but if you give someone you have never met a handful of money you almost deserve to be taken.
    I mean i wouldn't even give half up front with nothing in return.
    Post edited by Horse2345 on
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
    Agree with all those comments... but again, obviously a lesson was learned by the OP. I think maybe sometimes 10c members are lulled into over-trusting people who say they are 10c members because usually our experiences are so positive - for the most part it's a fucking love-fest, lol.
    PJ_Soul said:

Agree with all those comments... but again, obviously a lesson was learned by the OP. I think maybe sometimes 10c members are lulled into over-trusting people who say they are 10c members because usually our experiences are so positive - for the most part it's a fucking love-fest, lol.

Was he even a 10c member? OP just said a fellow fan. I mean he could of at least got a forum name.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Yea, something doesn't sound quite right.
  • sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,440
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Worse.
  • sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,440
    edited October 2014
    "I hope the OP is telling the truth, because making something like this up to get a ticket is just as bad as ripping someone off."
    Worse.
    Post edited by shecky on
  • /:)

c'mon now... really?
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Something's rotton in Denmark
  • EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057

PJ_Soul said:

The problem is you can still burn the buyer if it's too far before the show. Email, phone number, ebay Id doesn't do anything to ensure the buyer gets the tickets, nor that they can recoup the money afterwards. As I'm sure you know, PayPal claims can ony be filed for 45 days, so if you pay too far in advance you lose any formal system to get your money back if the seller doesn't come through on the day of the show. Like you said, it's up to both parties, but I'd never pay before 45 days from the show date, or expect a buyer to.

(After writing all this I see that you and PJ Soul already resolved this, but eff it, I'm still putting in my peanut gallery two cents. :D)
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Let's hold off on rushing to call the guy a liar. Looks like he's been on here for 15 years and hardly ever posts. Maybe he really isn't savvy on the ins and outs, maybe he is full of shit. It is a weird story that doesn't make sense, but that is one hell of a long con. Hopefully dude is rocking out at the show and can clear it all up in the future to put all of our minds at ease, lol.
    Yeah, not sure where the liar idea comes from. What would be the point of him making this up??
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Something's rotton in Denmark

I've always loved this expression (but no one has ever gotten what I meant).

Never knew it was Shakespeare!

edited October 2014

Let's hold off on rushing to call the guy a liar. Looks like he's been on here for 15 years and hardly ever posts. Maybe he really isn't savvy on the ins and outs, maybe he is full of shit. It is a weird story that doesn't make sense, but that is one hell of a long con. Hopefully dude is rocking out at the show and can clear it all up in the future to put all of our minds at ease, lol.

It doesn't really have anything to do with the board, it was done through craigslist. Its just common sense its like sending somebody you've never met in Nigeria money through western union. Cmon who gives anybody a handful of money with nothing in return.
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Horse2345 said:

It doesn't really have anything to do with the board, it was done through craigslist. Its just common sense its like sending somebody you've never met in Nigeria money through western union. Cmon who gives anybody a handful of money with nothing in return.
    No, I get that it doesn't make sense. I was just trying to figure out what the op's motivation would be to come on here and post this after fifteen years if it wasn't true. Like he's been lying in the weeds all that time, waiting for the perfect time to strike with some crazy story?
  • My buddy bought a floor ticket to NIN on Craigslist.

Paper ticket. Paid cash a few days before the show.

I questioned the wisdom of this. He replied that if it was a scam... it was only money and he'd look for another ticket at the show.

To all the people calling this guy out for a 'potential' ruse... do you always assume the worst of people? The guy came on here and vented... and people shit all over him because of their suspicions.

If he did make up a story... then that's his bad. Assuming the worst of him... that's your bad.
    "My brain's a good brain!"

My buddy bought a floor ticket to NIN on Craigslist.

I questioned the wisdom of this. He replied that if it was a scam... it was only money and he'd look for another ticket at the show.

To all the people calling this guy out for a 'potential' ruse... do you always assume the worst of people? The guy came on here and vented... and people shit all over him because of their suspicions.

If he did make up a story... then that's his bad. Assuming the worst of him... that's your bad.

=D>

I'm not assuming anything bad, but if it really did happen its kinda hard to feel sorry for someone who just hands over money to someone he's never met. You're friend got a ticket, this guy got nothing.
    I hope it works out for OP.

• Horse2345 said:

I'm not assuming anything bad, but if it really did happen its kinda hard to feel sorry for someone who just hands over money to someone he's never met. You're friend got a ticket, this guy got nothing.
    I hope it works out for OP.

You have to admit, there wasn't exactly an outpouring of support for the guy.

Ultimately, he made an error. He wasn't asking for a freebie. He was asking for a ticket at face which is the only price this forum permits.

I don't know the guy. I just don't like the cold attitudes towards the guy. It's like everybody forgot their manners.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • scott nowlandscott nowland Australia Posts: 247
    Feel for the author of this post. The lack of comments to defend himself suggests to me that he got tickets to the show. To come out of a show all pumped up and excited only to be deflated by all this negativity aimed in his direction is wrong. I have bought plenty of items off here and other sites from people i dont know. Often paid as gift to as a favour to the seller which I think may negate any disputes if I didnt get the item. Good luck to spintheblack79. Hope you got your tickets and had an awesome time at the show.

Feel for the author of this post. The lack of comments to defend himself suggests to me that he got tickets to the show. To come out of a show all pumped up and excited only to be deflated by all this negativity aimed in his direction is wrong. I have bought plenty of items off here and other sites from people i dont know. Often paid as gift to as a favour to the seller which I think may negate any disputes if I didnt get the item. Good luck to spintheblack79. Hope you got your tickets and had an awesome time at the show.

Well said.
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    never seen a show where you can't get 2 singles (Ten Club reserved) and then trade the better seat to the person with the lower number so they get a better seat but you still end up with a good pair of seats, not every show can you get GA, and really on this site you never have to pay over face value since it is against the rules, and if you had been patient and did a thread on Given To Fly titled: looking for 1 GA, I have no doubt you could of scored 2 GA's, since GA are unassigned, you still get to be together, I will never buy tickets outside of the Ten Club, because membership has it's advantages :)
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Who the fuck uses craigslist to buy tix to ANYTHING? Sooooo many second markets with guarantees or just use THIS place. Common sense seems to be missing when it comes to pj, some fucken drug this band is.
This discussion has been closed.