espn, you suck

Comments

• normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Bill Simmons said this...

and ESPN did this
    ESPN Statement on Bill Simmons
    “Every employee must be accountable to ESPN and those engaged in our editorial operations must also operate within ESPN’s journalistic standards. We have worked hard to ensure that our recent NFL coverage has met that criteria. Bill Simmons did not meet those obligations in a recent podcast, and as a result we have suspended him for three weeks.”
    i'm not a fan of bill's but he is right and espn really just sucks ass
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    norm said:

Bill Simmons said this...

and ESPN did this

ESPN Statement on Bill Simmons
    “Every employee must be accountable to ESPN and those engaged in our editorial operations must also operate within ESPN’s journalistic standards. We have worked hard to ensure that our recent NFL coverage has met that criteria. Bill Simmons did not meet those obligations in a recent podcast, and as a result we have suspended him for three weeks.”
    i'm not a fan of bill's but he is right and espn really just sucks ass

Suspended for speaking his mind. He just needs to leave ESPN already and start his own site. He has Grantland, but it's still ESPN. He should go out on his own....millions of readers will follow.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    He was Boston Sports Guy for years and was so much funnier. ESPN made him a rich man and very well known I think he could have his own page again and do well.
    Not shocked they benched him he asked them to do it when he stated the obvious in such a manner on his podcast.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    This link has the audio which ESPN has otherwise expunged from their archives. It was is/was radio gold.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2014/09/24/bill_simmons_suspended_listen_to_the_goodell_bashing_comments_that_got_the.html?wpsrc=fol_tw

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Simmons got a longer suspension than the original Ray Rice suspension and longer than Stephen A. Smith got for basically saying Rice's gf deserved it. Other than MTV has something that started so good ended up so bad as ESPN has?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    ^^ good call on MTV. What a pile of stinking shit.
    With the advent of NFL Network, MLB Network and NHL Network I watch less and less of ESPN. Why not specialize based on what I want to see? I dont care about golf, I dont care about NBA, I dont care about a lot of the shit they have on there. For highlights I want more depth and it pays to go to the specialized stations.
    (Exception would be Sunday AM, I watch ESPN)
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141

^^ good call on MTV. What a pile of stinking shit.
    With the advent of NFL Network, MLB Network and NHL Network I watch less and less of ESPN. Why not specialize based on what I want to see? I dont care about golf, I dont care about NBA, I dont care about a lot of the shit they have on there. For highlights I want more depth and it pays to go to the specialized stations.
    (Exception would be Sunday AM, I watch ESPN)

i've been watching more of the fox sports channel lately
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    NFL Network is great. I also watch some of the local stuff on CSNNE.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    NFL Network has Melissa Stark, who I have loved since her sideline days on MNF. Smart, pretty, loves football -- she was my dream girl!
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I'm not sure if Simmons was fired for calling out Goodell or more for going on a Jules Winnfield rant against the people who sign his paycheck.

Say 'what' again. Say 'what' again, I dare you, I double dare you motherfucker, say what one more Goddamn time!
    Simmons leaving ESPN....pretty surprising. I wonder if he'll start his own thing or sign with another big company.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/09/sports/bill-simmons-and-espn-are-parting-ways.html?_r=0
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I got about 2/3 through that and my head started hurting. I never liked Whitlock, so it was not hard to click off this story. One thing I learned is that Whitlock sure loves him some Whitlock.
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Whitlock also loves to stir the pot just for stirring it. I have agreed many times with him in the past but also thought he was nothing more than a shock jock journalist. ESPN should not have brought him back.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle

I got about 2/3 through that and my head started hurting. I never liked Whitlock, so it was not hard to click off this story. One thing I learned is that Whitlock sure loves him some Whitlock.
    Whitlock is the absolute worst. I got about 4 paragraphs into that article and couldn't take it anymore.

Simmons leaving ESPN....pretty surprising. I wonder if he'll start his own thing or sign with another big company.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/09/sports/bill-simmons-and-espn-are-parting-ways.html?_r=0

I think they pretty much kicked him out of the clubhouse. He was on Dan Patrick's show yesterday and dared once again to question Goodell. Probably the final straw.
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Eastern Sports Propaganda Network

Who needs this when I have MLB.TV? $19.99 a month on Roku and Apple TV with no annoying hacks like Joe Buck ruining the game. Sucks that I can't get local Angels games on TV, though. Stuck with radio.
    Between ESPN ruining their website and now Simmons getting fired, I think it's time to find a new sports website to follow
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I like the new website

Whitlock is the absolute worst. I got about 4 paragraphs into that article and couldn't take it anymore.
    Yeah, I for some reason read the whole thing and came away angry that such a jerkoff can make so much money

Yeah, I for some reason read the whole thing and came away angry that such a jerkoff can make so much money
    The guy makes me sick. Tries to make EVERYTHING a race issue. Anytime I hear his name or see his face, I get so angry immediately.
    ESPN doesn't even try to hide the fact that they are in bed with the NFL.

First they can Simmons and now they can Olberman, who they both asked to tone down their criticism.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Just watching the beginning of First Take....Shannon Sharpe is on and part of his smack talk platform he says "the only thing I do better than catching footballs is talk". I guess I remember him being a better TE than he actually was.
    DewieCox said:

Just watching the beginning of First Take....Shannon Sharpe is on and part of his smack talk platform he says "the only thing I do better than catching footballs is talk". I guess I remember him being a better TE than he actually was.

why on earth would you watch that show?
    chinese-happy.jpg

DewieCox said:

The ratings that this show gets are mind-boggling. How anyone could watch that for more than 30 seconds is a mystery to me.
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Part of what sucks about espns new website is that you have to login to your fantasy accounts every 10 fucking minutes now. I god damn hate it

Part of what sucks about espns new website is that you have to login to your fantasy accounts every 10 fucking minutes now. I god damn hate it

Maybe it's the settings on your browser? I've not run into this issue. I like the site
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411

DewieCox said:

It was changed before I posted., but I caught the opening before I had the chance to change it to Parks and Rec reruns when Mike and Mike ended.

Probably could've handled it yesterday without Steven A, but Shannon Sharpe's garbling is about as annoying.

• PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,292
    Watched Sportscenter this morning. They spent less than 2 minutes covering MLB (and about 30 seconds of that time was during the Not Top 10). Jim Harbaugh's pants and the Tom Brady courtroom sketch received more coverage than baseball.

I get it that college football and the NFL seasons are starting but MLB playoff races are in full swing.