Are you a cat, cat & dog or dog person?

Comments

• ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Equally a cat and dog person
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't see myself having a dog anytime soon though. My lifestyle just doesn't suit dog ownership right now. I'll probably get one when I'm retired 30 years from now. Until then, a cat or nothing.

But if anyone is looking for another option, rabbits can make WONDERFUL pets if you allow them to live like cats. They should not be kept in any kind of cage. If they are, they are miserable and make shitty pets, plus it's torture. But if you let them have the run of at least a couple of rooms, they will use a litter box and really thrive as loving, playful, and affectionate pets. The one I had used to run up to me when I came home, leap into my arms, and lick my nose. :x He would also play with toys. His favorite was a balloon. He'd stand on his back legs and roll the balloon around like one of those walkers for toddlers. So cute. Only downside is that they chew shit up, so you really have to rabbit proof the area of your home where they are allowed to live.

Please do not cage rabbits and please spread the message. They are not meant to be caged like fucking hamsters. Thanks you. :)

That's VERY interesting. I knew a guy who had rabbits but he had them in cages. He let them out individually to let them run around the apt but they pooped everywhere, then he cleaned it up. Guess he didn't know they could be litter box trained. Rabbits do give pretty awesome kisses. Even when they bite it's cute cuz it just tickles lol
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Juggler and Dyer are on my shitlist :D

RK, both our cats are considered "short-haired" and their fur is still all over the fucking place.

Worth it but what a pain in the ass (not to mention sinuses).
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Totally a dog person
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't see myself having a dog anytime soon though. My lifestyle just doesn't suit dog ownership right now. I'll probably get one when I'm retired 30 years from now. Until then, a cat or nothing.

But if anyone is looking for another option, rabbits can make WONDERFUL pets if you allow them to live like cats. They should not be kept in any kind of cage. If they are, they are miserable and make shitty pets, plus it's torture. But if you let them have the run of at least a couple of rooms, they will use a litter box and really thrive as loving, playful, and affectionate pets. The one I had used to run up to me when I came home, leap into my arms, and lick my nose. :x He would also play with toys. His favorite was a balloon. He'd stand on his back legs and roll the balloon around like one of those walkers for toddlers. So cute. Only downside is that they chew shit up, so you really have to rabbit proof the area of your home where they are allowed to live.

Please do not cage rabbits and please spread the message. They are not meant to be caged like fucking hamsters. Thanks you. :)

I've had 2 friends who had rabbits as pets. Neither of them were caged. One friend's has done a little damage on some furniture but all in all she is a very sweet pet.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Totally a dog person
    no question ,dogs..i dontr likle cats and dont want to like them
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • AafkeAafke Posts: 1,219
    More of a cat than a dog person
    For me it's cats, more than dogs. Because cats have their own personality and are quit a lot of self-esteem. If you have an intelligent one The can also have the skills of a guarding dog, but not because they are trained to do so but, because they choose to.... It takes a lot of mutual respect to get them that far (and of course no going on a holiday, cause, then they are getting pissed off, and take revenge by pissing in your house, damn...)
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    "The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed".- Carl Jung.
    "Art does not reproduce what we see; rather, it makes us see."- Paul Klee
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Aafke said:

For me it's cats, more than dogs. Because cats have their own personality and are quit a lot of self-esteem. If you have an intelligent one The can also have the skills of a guarding dog, but not because they are trained to do so but, because they choose to.... It takes a lot of mutual respect to get them that far (and of course no going on a holiday, cause, then they are getting pissed off, and take revenge by pissing in your house, damn...)

If our cat sees so much as a squirrel lurking around the house she runs furiously from one window to the next trying to keep a fix on it. Unfortunately I'm not sure protecting us is the first thing on her mind, LOL!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    My older cat is a fierce defender of the yard. She takes on pretty much anything that dares invade 'her' space, other cats, dogs and I'm pretty sure a bear once.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Equally a cat and dog person.

Due to current circumstances, I am unable to have either, so I have to be content with my pet hedgehog. He is cute, but not something you can snuggle with.

A quick side question to pet owners: do you dress your pets for Halloween?
    ELITIST FUK
    SD48277 said:

Due to current circumstances, I am unable to have either, so I have to be content with my pet hedgehog. He is cute, but not something you can snuggle with.

A hedgehog- interesting!

My cat is in permanent Halloween costume:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    SD48277 said:

aaaahhhhhhhh!

I didn't know you had a hedgehog! I love them! We used to get a few of them in the clinic...so adorable!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nkEPsSsH68

I'm not a fan of mealworms, so that's kept me from really getting one.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    SD48277 said:

Animals in costumes are one of the most hilarious things to me, but I just don't have the heart to do it to our cats (plus they'd never tolerate it).

RKCNDY said:

SD48277 said:

aaaahhhhhhhh!

I didn't know you had a hedgehog! I love them! We used to get a few of them in the clinic...so adorable!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nkEPsSsH68

I'm not a fan of mealworms, so that's kept me from really getting one.
    Yeah...I've had Iggy since last December. He doesn't get mealworms (the thought of them makes my stomach turn)--he gets grain-free cat crunchies, and occasionally bits of bacon. I wish I knew how to upload a picture of him here (I'm a luddite through and through).
    ELITIST FUK
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    posting pics is fairly easy!
    if you have a pic saved to your computer, upload it to an online website like Snapfish, photobucket, FB, etc...the sites will walk you thru that part. Once your pic is online, then put your mouse/pointer in the middle of the pic, right click the pic and select "Copy Image URL' from the menu. Then come here, and in the comment box, click on the 'Image' icon at the top...3rd icon from the right (next to the 'C'). A small box will pop up and it will say The page at community.pearljam.com says: Enter Image URL: and there will be an entry field where you can right click, then choose 'paste', and then click 'OK' and then the HTML code will show up in the comment box, click 'post comment' and ta-dah! you posted a pic of Iggy!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

I never even thought about having a rabbit but that sounds like fun! I'm guessing my cat would have no part of it so I probably won't find out any time soon.

Thanks for good advice for kindness to rabbits!

Sure, your cat would have a part of it - probably the tastiest part! It might be a little messy, though.

I'm mostly a dog person but at this point also have a crested gecko, and have had other reptiles in the past. Cresties are pretty cute, as lizards go - the spiky crests over their eyes look like long eyelashes - and as they are primarily frugivorous there's no need to feed them bugs.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

I never even thought about having a rabbit but that sounds like fun! I'm guessing my cat would have no part of it so I probably won't find out any time soon.

Sure, your cat would have a part of it - probably the tastiest part! It might be a little messy, though.

I'm mostly a dog person but at this point also have a crested gecko, and have had other reptiles in the past. Cresties are pretty cute, as lizards go - the spiky crests over their eyes look like long eyelashes - and as they are primarily frugivorous there's no need to feed them bugs.
    :)) Of that I have no doubt, oftenreading!

• More of a cat than a dog person
    I had more dogs than cats growing up, but have only had cats once I was a grown-up. I feel bad that my kids never had a dog, but my cats would not have put up with a dog. Cats are so much easier.
    You can't be neutral on a moving train.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2014
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

Don't be too sure! :)

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Just lulling it into a false sense of security....
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Ha! I love how cats bond with other species, ones that seem to go against (their) nature. Dogs too, how they're often paired with abandoned cheetah cubs.

(speaking of dogs, watching Love My Pit Bull with Cesar Millan right now. LOVE this breed)

Anyway, question for the cat owners - in your experience, when they're about to drink water, is it common to stretch one paw out, like splayed? George does this almost without fail. Cute as hell but I've never seen this before he came along.
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

Don't be too sure! :)

Sweet! :-D

• northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    hedonist said:

Ha! I love how cats bond with other species, ones that seem to go against (their) nature. Dogs too, how they're often paired with abandoned cheetah cubs.

(speaking of dogs, watching Love My Pit Bull with Cesar Millan right now. LOVE this breed)

Anyway, question for the cat owners - in your experience, when they're about to drink water, is it common to stretch one paw out, like splayed? George does this almost without fail. Cute as hell but I've never seen this before he came along.

My cats don't do this but then again they also refuse to drink out of anything except the plant water jug or the toilet. I've tried every other water dish out there but no go, cats are weird but I love both of mine. :D
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
    Ohhh yeah - totally with you on both parts of your last phrase! We're suckers for ours, through and through :D

LA water has a shitload of minerals in it, and when we kept the dish on the floor, he'd stick his paw IN the water and fling it against the wall I painted...started wearing away. So now he does this. And Cat #1 has begun to mimick the splay action.

Small price to pay!
    edited September 2014

Damn! I tried to post a picture, but it didn't work.
    Post edited by SD48277 on
    ELITIST FUK
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    SD48277 said:

Damn! I tried to post a picture, but it didn't work.

I know that feeling :)
  • LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    edited September 2014
    SD48277 said:

Damn! It works.

Fixed for you.

It's so cute!
    ^^^ You are awesome! Thank you for correcting whatever mistake I made. That is my Iggy.
    ELITIST FUK
    Pets in costumes: http://www.boredpanda.com/halloween-pet-costumes-animals/
    ELITIST FUK
  • RearviewmirrorerRearviewmirrorer San José, Costa Rica Posts: 18
    edited October 2014
    Cats have "that"! My cat got lost recently and I miss him! For a long time I have wanted to have a dog too... but I will wait until I have enough space.
    I love the term - they DO have "that". I love them for it.

They're regal and clumsy at the same time. Just this afternoon, cat #1 attempted to jump on the kitchen counter, failed miserably, then did the "so what? I am NOT ashamed" walk...tail held high!

Is yours an indoor cat or a wanderer? I so hope he comes back home to you. Probably missing you as much as well.

And, good on you for being responsible enough to know what's needed to give a dog a happy and active life.

On the cat note, hope this can bring some laughs - it did for me, to the point of tears. Every time! Our fattieboy George was named in part for this fellow, among others.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzvm8k5kSjs
    ^^^ Hahaha! Always love that one!

"What's that? Not me. Fuck that, I'm a cat. Something break? Ask the dog." :))