Options

Permanent Truce in Gaza?

Comments

• Options
    rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    Pushing the discussion of major things back a month seems like a recipie for disaster, but here's hoping that the quiet lasts.

As for those wondering "why now"? I have a few thoughts on that:

Israel - school year starts on Monday and many parents in the rocket range have been saying that they would not send their children back as long as hostilities continue.

Hamas - The past week has really hurt the military leaders of the organization. Key players have been taken out by Israel and they probably need time to appoint new people to the positions.
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
    Byrnzie said:

Ban Ki-Moon actually managed to say something useful: "any peace effort that does not tackle the root causes of the crisis will do little more than set the stage for the next cycle of violence".

Good point. The consensus here seems doubtful this cease fire will hold. The idea sounds hopeful but sad to say, doubtful. Does that mean I'm losing hope for peace? A little, yeah....

so for fucks sake, surprise us world.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    edited August 2014
    rafie said:

Pushing the discussion of major things back a month seems like a recipie for disaster, but here's hoping that the quiet lasts.

Israel - school year starts on Monday and many parents in the rocket range have been saying that they would not send their children back as long as hostilities continue.

Hamas - The past week has really hurt the military leaders of the organization. Key players have been taken out by Israel and they probably need time to appoint new people to the positions.

Whatever the reasons are, a quiet sky means EVERYONE gets to FINALLY sleep, some what. Let's hope SOMEHOW they all can figure this out for everyone. I'm tired of this conflict, I'm tired of all the deaths, I'm tired of posting pics of beautiful innocent kids mamed or dead. I'm tired of the lies, I'm tired of all the figure pointing. I'm just simply fucken tired. But who the fuck am I? I have a roof over my head, unlike some of my fellow human bros and sisters. I still have my family, I still have fresh water, I still have electricity so I can watch my barca football team play, I can still go grab some food with my friends, attend a Yankees game, go see a gaslight anthem show at vintage vinyl with my fellow club member Frankie. I can do all that, whenever I want. It's sad that some of my fellow humans can't even do a piece or (peace) of that. Not even just once. Here's for one day all people of Palestine having the freedoms to basically live like simple humans. Here's to the day that Israel doesn't ever need a wall, never needs to load itself up to the teeth with military mite. Here's to the day when I can go with my friends Byrnzie,Fuck, Viva Palestine, Ben, rafie, drowned out, Gimmie, Jimmy, Frankie, yosi, idris, hedonist, 81, DS, all my circassian bros in Israel, EVERYONE, all of us get to go freely to a spot right in the middle of fucken both Israel and Palestine and watch pearl mother fucken jam play for FREE on ED and the boys cuz fuck it, we deserve it! Hahahahahaha!

Edit-of course you guys know all of Palestine and Israel would be invited too. I'm sure it'll be a show where at least I know I can eat anything and not have to worry about swine. And the food gonna be awesome!

Yes, I think I climbed up the tree a little to "high" up. And the view could be beautiful. :-& #-o :)>-
    Post edited by badbrains on
  • Options
    badbrains said:

rafie said:

Whatever the reasons are, a quiet sky means EVERYONE gets to FINALLY sleep, some what. Let's hope SOMEHOW they all can figure this out for everyone. I'm tired of this conflict, I'm tired of all the deaths, I'm tired of posting pics of beautiful innocent kids mamed or dead. I'm tired of the lies, I'm tired of all the figure pointing. I'm just simply fucken tired. But who the fuck am I? I have a roof over my head, unlike some of my fellow human bros and sisters. I still have my family, I still have fresh water, I still have electricity so I can watch my barca football team play, I can still go grab some food with my friends, attend a Yankees game, go see a gaslight anthem show at vintage vinyl with my fellow club member Frankie. I can do all that, whenever I want. It's sad that some of my fellow humans can't even do a piece or (peace) of that. Not even just once. Here's for one day all people of Palestine having the freedoms to basically live like simple humans. Here's to the day that Israel doesn't ever need a wall, never needs to load itself up to the teeth with military mite. Here's to the day when I can go with my friends Byrnzie,Fuck, Viva Palestine, Ben, rafie, drowned out, Gimmie, Jimmy, Frankie, yosi, idris, hedonist, 81, DS, all my circassian bros in Israel, EVERYONE, all of us get to go freely to a spot right in the middle of fucken both Israel and Palestine and watch pearl mother fucken jam play for FREE on ED and the boys cuz fuck it, we deserve it! Hahahahahaha!

Yes, I think I climbed up the tree a little to "high" up. And the view could be beautiful. :-& #-o :)>-
    I very sincerely hope your wish comes true, bb, I really do.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:

badbrains said:

rafie said:

Shit brian, you'll have to meet me in newark international to go on this trip if that day DOES COME.
  • Options
    badbrains said:

brianlux said:

badbrains said:

rafie said:

Shit brian, you'll have to meet me in newark international to go on this trip if that day DOES COME.
    A-OKAY, bb!! :-D

• Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Apparently the ceasefire agreement is almost a carbon copy of the 2012 ceasefire agreement which Israel broke repeatedly. I have little faith that they won't do the same again.
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    edited August 2014
    Edit
    Post edited by Idris on
  • Options
    badbrains said:

rafie said:

Edit-of course you guys know all of Palestine and Israel would be invited too. I'm sure it'll be a show where at least I know I can eat anything and not have to worry about swine. And the food gonna be awesome!

This might be the smartest thing ever written on the moving train! From your mouth (fingers) to gods ears, AMEN!!!!!!!
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

• Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Heard this on the News earlier...Being Optimistic and Positive about it.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Maybe, "why not now?"
    badbrains said:

rafie said:

=D>
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Are the core problems being resolved by this so called long term peace agreement? The Palestinians want an end to the blockades. Is Israel willing to do that? The Israelis want to demilitarize Gaza. Will that actually happen? If the core issues are not resolved, there will be no long term peace.
  • Options

Are the core problems being resolved by this so called long term peace agreement? The Palestinians want an end to the blockades. Is Israel willing to do that? The Israelis want to demilitarize Gaza. Will that actually happen? If the core issues are not resolved, there will be no long term peace.

Great question. Gonna be fucken hard to hash out this mess. Lots of scars and animosity. Especially with all the reports starting to come out. And shit, the pentagon is even shocked at the force Israel used. I posted an article in the idf thread about it. They were in total shock.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Good Stuff here.Im am Gunna toast a cold one to the peace in the region.Thinking good thoughts for a lasting and substantive path to true independence and prosperity to all in the area.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    Byrnzie said:

Apparently the ceasefire agreement is almost a carbon copy of the 2012 ceasefire agreement which Israel broke repeatedly. I have little faith that they won't do the same again.

i think they will break it. the only reason they stopped now is because international pressure is upon them. israel has lost a lot of support the last several weeks. aipac has even been impacted and weakened because jewish people here in the states are not supporting israel on this. we have elections here in 2 months and who is going to vote for a candidate who is receiving funding from a group who supports one country bombing the shit out of an open air prison???

see, if a candidate supporting israel is not politicallly expedient in the united states, chances are, de-escalation will be politically expedient.

this is completely political.

one side is not suddenly going to do something altruistic. we have seen evidence of that countless times.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    As for demilitarizing Gaza, there's absolutely no requirement under international law for the Palestinians to do that. On the contrary, under international law they have a right to resist the illegal occupation.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    Bump for peace and justice. Just because rockets aren't flying, doesn't mean people aren't suffering. With a month between the ceasefire announcement and the beginning of negotiations, what can we teach or learn between now and then?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:

Bump for peace and justice. Just because rockets aren't flying, doesn't mean people aren't suffering. With a month between the ceasefire announcement and the beginning of negotiations, what can we teach or learn between now and then?

That everything we've done for the past 60+ years hasn't worked and it's time for a different path for both sides. Just saying....
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,877
    badbrains said:

benjs said:

That everything we've done for the past 60+ years hasn't worked and it's time for a different path for both sides. Just saying....
    Agreed.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    badbrains said:

benjs said:

You got that right!

• Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    badbrains said:

benjs said:

Pretty sure the onus is on the settler colony to end their apartheid regime and grant the indigenous population equal rights.
  • Options
    fuck said:

badbrains said:

benjs said:

Pretty sure the onus is on the settler colony to end their apartheid regime and grant the indigenous population equal rights.
    And how can ordinary people help to bring that about? The U.S government is the main obstacle. Just as the U.S government was the main obstacle in ending Apartheid in South Africa. So maybe the only way forward is to adopt the same methods employed during the 1980's? Boycotts, both financial and artistic boycotts, demonstrations, pickets, petitions, and letters to political representatives.
    BDS seems to be the main engine for change though. Everybody who cares about the human rights of those suffering under Israel's boot heel should sign up with BDS and read their information about what you can do as an individual to pressure your particular local businesses to divest from funding that regime.

http://www.bdsmovement.net/2014/9-ways-to-get-involved-with-the-bds-movement-12255

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Byrnzie said:

fuck said:

badbrains said:

benjs said:

And how can ordinary people help to bring that about? The U.S government is the main obstacle. Just as the U.S government was the main obstacle in ending Apartheid in South Africa. So maybe the only way forward is to adopt the same methods employed during the 1980's? Boycotts, both financial and artistic boycotts, demonstrations, pickets, petitions, and letters to political representatives.
    BDS seems to be the main engine for change though. Everybody who cares about the human rights of those suffering under Israel's boot heel should sign up with BDS and read their information about what you can do as an individual to pressure your particular local businesses to divest from funding that regime.

http://www.bdsmovement.net/2014/9-ways-to-get-involved-with-the-bds-movement-12255

With No bombs flying,and no blood being reported every night on the news,this issue will take a back seat to most Americans.Politicians will be under very little pressure to change support.If your looking for US to lead in change in wont be by the methods you mentioned above.Not anytime soon.Not saying its right or wrong,it just is.

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    edited August 2014
    rr165892 said:

Byrnzie said:

fuck said:

badbrains said:

benjs said:

With No bombs flying,and no blood being reported every night on the news,this issue will take a back seat to most Americans.Politicians will be under very little pressure to change support.If your looking for US to lead in change in wont be by the methods you mentioned above.Not anytime soon.Not saying its right or wrong,it just is.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I suspect this movement has to come from the Israeli people themselves. If the Israeli people start to denounce the actions of the government and recognize the inequalities, they will successfully de stigmatize (though I'm not positive that's the right term) placing one's support anywhere but directly in favour of Israel (including those of us in the diaspora).

During times of hostilities, American politicians and business people show their unwavering support for Israel out of obligation (unwilling to negotiate with terrorists, etc.), and I agree that when there's a relative calm over the area, they simply dodge the questions or don't bother speaking up about the situation. During times of hostilities, the people would most likely feel the same, but it's these precious days without rockets firing that perhaps Israelis could be more open to trying to hear more about the situation from perspectives other than the commonly retold rhetorics within the country.

If Israelis are truly looking for a long lasting peace and the end to the injustices that have gone on for far too many years - it seems to me that now is the time for Israelis to campaign for other Israelis to start to carry out their independent research on the history of Israel, and develop a bit of empathy.

Edit: I'm not referring to BDS here, rather more to education/awareness/empathizing programs within Israel.
    Post edited by benjs on
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    And this is why they'll never have peace there. Israel just land grabbed a shitload of land in the West Bank. Really? Wtf, and you want peace or is it you want pieces, of land and land and land. Straight bull shit. No fucken way is there gonna peace, NO WAY.

http://www.haaretz.com/mobile/.premium-1.613319?v=8DC0E9826011BF2F4980D8FC16D55D67

From article;

Anti-settlement group Peace Now said it was the largest land appropriation in 30 years.

The appropriated land belongs to five Palestinian villages in the Bethlehem area: Jaba, Surif, Wadi Fukin, Husan and Nahalin.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,679
    Of course, news is focused elsewhere right now. WB was an area that received no attention while the Gazans were being murdered.

I surely hope that PA/Hamas unity government seeks recognition of statehood at UN and applies for redress with ICC.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    whatever it may worth and the little I expect to come from it , my congressman has received an email from me.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    third party candidate from my district Green Party open letter.

Hart Condemns Israeli Invasion of Gaza

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Hart For Congress Committee [HartforCongress.com] MORE INFORMATION: Bob Hart 614-301.8737/HartforCongress@gmail.com

“It sickens me to hear President Obama and members of Congress endorse the Israeli regime’s illegal military invasion of Gaza and its brutal slaughter of Palestinian civilians in the occupied territories,” said 12th District Congressional Green Party candidate Bob Hart. “I condemn Israel’s military invasion of Gaza and call upon Pat Tiberi, the U.S. Congress, and the President to immediately stop funding, encouraging, and arming Israel. Instead the U.S. should be endorsing UN mediated peace talks, demanding that Israel end all military operations in the West Bank and Gaza, and calling upon all groups in Palestine to match the cessation of Israeli military operations.”

In response to the unsolved killing of three Israeli teenagers in the West Bank Israel’s military conducted a so-called “search-and-rescue” operation that left numerous innocent Palestinians dead and hundreds illegally detained. Palestinians resisted this unprovoked Israeli crackdown and now the Israeli military is bombing civilian neighborhoods in occupied Gaza using billions of dollars of weaponry provided free of cost courtesy of U.S. taxpayers. “It is clear that Israel has callously used the tragic killing of three youths in the West Bank as a transparent pretext for the destruction of the recently formed Palestinian Unity Government and for the imposition of additional brutal occupation conditions upon the Palestinian people, who are captives in the Israeli “open-air prisons” of Gaza and the West Bank,” added Hart.

Hart agrees with the sentiment express by the Jewish Voice for Peace: “In this time of tremendous suffering and fear, from Jerusalem to Gaza, and from Hebron to Be’er Sheva, we reaffirm that all Israelis and Palestinians deserve security, justice, and equality, and we mourn all those who have died. Our unshakeable commitment to freedom and justice for all compels us to acknowledge that this violence has fallen overwhelmingly on Palestinians. And it compels us to affirm that this violence has a root cause: Israel’s illegal occupation.”

“Continued U.S. support for the Israeli regime under these circumstances is unacceptable” Hart said, calling upon the U.S. government to “immediately terminate all aid to Israel” until Israel:
    Ends the current military invasion and slaughter of civilians in Gaza.
    Ends the illegal occupation and blockade of Gaza and the West Bank.
    Complies with all UN resolutions on Israel and the Middle East.
    Releases all illegally detained political prisoners.
    Ratifies and complies with the Chemical Weapons Convention.
    Ratifies the Non-Proliferation Treaty related to its nuclear arsenal.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

third party candidate from my district Green Party open letter.

Hart Condemns Israeli Invasion of Gaza

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Hart For Congress Committee [HartforCongress.com] MORE INFORMATION: Bob Hart 614-301.8737/HartforCongress@gmail.com

“It sickens me to hear President Obama and members of Congress endorse the Israeli regime’s illegal military invasion of Gaza and its brutal slaughter of Palestinian civilians in the occupied territories,” said 12th District Congressional Green Party candidate Bob Hart. “I condemn Israel’s military invasion of Gaza and call upon Pat Tiberi, the U.S. Congress, and the President to immediately stop funding, encouraging, and arming Israel. Instead the U.S. should be endorsing UN mediated peace talks, demanding that Israel end all military operations in the West Bank and Gaza, and calling upon all groups in Palestine to match the cessation of Israeli military operations.”

In response to the unsolved killing of three Israeli teenagers in the West Bank Israel’s military conducted a so-called “search-and-rescue” operation that left numerous innocent Palestinians dead and hundreds illegally detained. Palestinians resisted this unprovoked Israeli crackdown and now the Israeli military is bombing civilian neighborhoods in occupied Gaza using billions of dollars of weaponry provided free of cost courtesy of U.S. taxpayers. “It is clear that Israel has callously used the tragic killing of three youths in the West Bank as a transparent pretext for the destruction of the recently formed Palestinian Unity Government and for the imposition of additional brutal occupation conditions upon the Palestinian people, who are captives in the Israeli “open-air prisons” of Gaza and the West Bank,” added Hart.

Hart agrees with the sentiment express by the Jewish Voice for Peace: “In this time of tremendous suffering and fear, from Jerusalem to Gaza, and from Hebron to Be’er Sheva, we reaffirm that all Israelis and Palestinians deserve security, justice, and equality, and we mourn all those who have died. Our unshakeable commitment to freedom and justice for all compels us to acknowledge that this violence has fallen overwhelmingly on Palestinians. And it compels us to affirm that this violence has a root cause: Israel’s illegal occupation.”

“Continued U.S. support for the Israeli regime under these circumstances is unacceptable” Hart said, calling upon the U.S. government to “immediately terminate all aid to Israel” until Israel:
    Ends the current military invasion and slaughter of civilians in Gaza.
    Ends the illegal occupation and blockade of Gaza and the West Bank.
    Complies with all UN resolutions on Israel and the Middle East.
    Releases all illegally detained political prisoners.
    Ratifies and complies with the Chemical Weapons Convention.
    Ratifies the Non-Proliferation Treaty related to its nuclear arsenal.

Someone's got some balls, Who would've thought?
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

whatever it may worth and the little I expect to come from it , my congressman has received an email from me.

heres the auto reply I received.....

Thank you so much for your email. It is an honor to serve as your Congressman and I'm glad you've taken the time to contact me.

If you have an issue or request that is time sensitive, please call my Columbus, Ohio office at (614) 523-2555 and my staff will be happy to assist you.

Last year, I received more than 70,000 incoming communications from my constituents. Due to the extremely large volume of emails I receive, I am not always able to respond to every communication as quickly as I'd like. For a faster reply to your question, I encourage you to call my office at (614) 523-2555.

Thanks again for your email. Please don't hesitate to contact my office if I may be of assistance in the future.

Sincerely,

Patrick J. Tiberi
    Representative to Congress