Comments

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Fingers crossed
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    This brought some tears to my eyes. Please let this be true.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    And also, let's hope that this can now open doors to the discussion on reparations.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    You can't reduce a country to rubble and not be accountable for helping to rebuild it...I hope
  • Options
    dancinacrossthewater,

Not sure if your comment there was in response to mine, but I was talking about the reparations due for events surrounding Israel's inception (i.e. the Nakba). I assume Hamas would only have accepted a truce condition that involved the immediate reparations necessary.

EV
  • Options
    hey benjs,

let's not argue about how far back the reparations should go right now...not because i'm trying to duck the topic, but because i want to focus on the possible good news we hope to hear today. immediate reparations are a must, for sure. let's see what happens.
  • Options

hey benjs,

let's not argue about how far back the reparations should go right now...not because i'm trying to duck the topic, but because i want to focus on the possible good news we hope to hear today. immediate reparations are a must, for sure. let's see what happens.

Totally valid!

Just the premise of progress is very, very exciting to me. I'm hoping the terms are reasonable, and time will tell.

EV
  • Options
    Well, hopefully this truce will start soon cuz I'm reading Israel is still bombing the shit out of gaza.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    badbrains said:

Well, hopefully this truce will start soon cuz I'm reading Israel is still bombing the shit out of gaza.

I'm reading that rockets are flying both directions. The issue with Hamas is that it seems to be somewhat decentralized in its resistance, so it's understandable that there could be latency in ceasefire from Gaza into Israel. As for the Israeli rockets entering Gaza - here's hoping once the official statement is made, it will halt entirely. My fingers are crossed too.

EV
  • Options
    Often before ceasefires participants in conflicts want to get their 'last shots' in before it officially kicks in. Ridiculous, I know, cuz you just kill more people, but that's the mentality.
  • Options
    supposed to take effect 7pm local time
  • Options

Isn't it 7 there now? Should be around 9 I think, no?
  • Options
    Yeah good point
  • Options
    Seems real though Israeli officials have started confirming it too
  • Options
    badbrains said:

Isn't it 7 there now? Should be around 9 I think, no?
    7:30 there right now.

EV
  • Options
    http://rt.com/news/182888-gaza-truce-israel-agree/

yeah, supposed to have taken effect half an hour ago...we'll see if it holds.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    I doubt it. But I suppose anything is possible.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    My inner skeptic thinks this might just be a month's reprieve for those living within Gaza. The conditions haven't changed at all, with both parties agreeing to reconvene to discuss any "complex" issues in a month. Is it just me, or does that sound like a hugely volatile situation?

EV
  • Options
    benjs said:

My inner skeptic thinks this might just be a month's reprieve for those living within Gaza. The conditions haven't changed at all, with both parties agreeing to reconvene to discuss any "complex" issues in a month. Is it just me, or does that sound like a hugely volatile situation?

100% Ben
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,173
    edited August 2014
    i don't buy it at all.

as if israel is going to suddenly reverse course and end the blockade that it has fought so desperately via political posturing, on social media, and on the ground in gaza to maintain at all costs.

plus, gaza's "needs" are highly subjective.

sorry to piss on the parade. but give it a year and see if anything actually changes in the next 365 days.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    plus, the international community is against israel in this conflict.

don't you think that knowing this, if any sort of agreement had been met, wouldn't israel want to make the announcement and try to take some credit for it???
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    why is israel "mum" on acknowledging this??

• Options

You can't reduce a country to rubble and not be accountable for helping to rebuild it...I hope

Sure you can. Just ask the Canadian government about their treatment of our Aboriginal peoples. We utterly destroyed their way of life, assumed control of their lands, pushed them onto reserves and forced them into residential schools irreparably damaging their cultural identity and we still have done almost nothing to right this wrong. I won't speak for other countries, but if Canada can be so willfully ignorant I'm not holding out much hope for Israel to be much better.
  • Options
    There is some financial compensation available to Canadian aboriginals who were forced to go to residential schools, but it's pretty grossly inadequate.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Ban Ki-Moon actually managed to say something useful: "any peace effort that does not tackle the root causes of the crisis will do little more than set the stage for the next cycle of violence".
  • Options
    What gives? Does anybody else not feel like this is gonna last? What made them decide to finally stop? Are both sides just taking a breather? I can't see it lasting if the Palestinians don't get what they want and Israel waiting for the moment to start blasting away again.
  • Options
    Byrnzie said:

Ban Ki-Moon actually managed to say something useful: "any peace effort that does not tackle the root causes of the crisis will do little more than set the stage for the next cycle of violence".

Yup
  • Options
    Could this be the reason Israel stopped? Maybe??? Article about wiki leaks legal adviser stating that Israel and the US could and should be taken for war crimes:

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Wikileaks-Assesor-Claims-Israel-Can-Be-Charged-for-War-Crimes-and-US-for-Complicity-20140825-0019.html
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    edited August 2014
    The U.S and Israel will no doubt do everything they can to try and persuade the Palestinians not to sign up to the ICC. Hopefully they'll fail.

From your article:
    “The killing of civilians and destroying civilian infrastructure, whether in Lebanon then or Gaza today, is no mistake. It's on purpose, a purpose that is flagrantly illegal under the Geneva Convention. Israeli soldiers, Israeli leaders, and Israeli generals could be tried for the crimes that the Germans were tried for in Nuremberg, for carrying out the intentional killing of civilians, destruction of civilian infrastructure,” he said.

The lawyer argued that Israel's aim was to end the resistance in Gaza, not by exclusively targetting Hamas members, but by destroying Gaza itself, "What they're doing makes the resistance even stronger. But perhaps the hopes of Israel are to make Gaza uninhabitable over the years to drive the Gazans out."

Further, the U.S. government is also responsible, Ratner argued. He said the U.S. embassy informed the administration about the Dahiya doctrine, and despite that, the U.S. government is still funding the Israeli state.

The newspaper Haaretz recently revealed that U.S. financial assistance to Israel amounts to more than US$1 trillion since 1962, but that has only been dedicated to military purposes in recent years. In the beginning of August, an emergency fund of US$225 million was unblocked by the U.S. Senate in order to improve Israeli antimissile equipment.
  • Options
    I also read in a Haaretz news online article that Netanyahu had 4 cabinet members who didn't want the cease fire so he left them out of the Egyptian delegation. Here it is:

http://www.haaretz.com/mobile/.premium-1.612637?v=2B3DFDB80CDA29EEE4B239CE73D18418

In addition to repeating the many failures in decision-making that successive inquiries have revealed after previous wars, Netanyahu consistently and systematically kept his cabinet ministers away from the cease-fire negotiations in Egypt. At least four of them, Bennett, Lieberman, Aharonovich and Erdan, made clear to the prime minister that they would not stand behind the cease-fire proposal. Netanyahu understood that if he brought the proposal to a vote he was liable to find himself in the minority.

That said, most of the members of the security cabinet, if not all of them, are not really mourning the fact that Netanyahu exempted them from the need to vote. Ministers Lapid and Livni would have had to reconcile their doubts about the proposal with their desire to end the war. Bennett, Lieberman and the other opponents would have had to deal with the political repercussions of a frontal dispute with the prime minister. Now they can enjoy the best of both worlds; they can shout from the gallery while remaining in their deerskin seats around the cabinet table..