Options

Binaural and No Code vinyl bootlegs

Comments

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

The Avocado/Yield bootlegs I got were decent. Sound probably wasn't as good as the original vinyl and each record had an imperfection that caused skipping.but overall not a bad purchase.

so bootleg vinyl that has subpar sound and skips is a good purchase nowadays?

• Options
    Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,349
    my2hands said:

The Avocado/Yield bootlegs I got were decent. Sound probably wasn't as good as the original vinyl and each record had an imperfection that caused skipping.but overall not a bad purchase.

Absolutely! And the counterfeiters donate all the proceeds to the local Boys Club.
  • Options
    AmishGuy91AmishGuy91 Posts: 826
    my2hands said:

I should have mentioned I am a vinyl collector, not an audiophile elitist. I listen to my vinyl once and then store them away. CDs and digital files are much easier to listen, and vinyl doesn't really sound any better, no matter what anyone says.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited June 2014

my2hands said:

I should have mentioned I am a vinyl collector, not an audiophile elitist. I listen to my vinyl once and then store them away. CDs and digital files are much easier to listen, and vinyl doesn't really sound any better, no matter what anyone says.
    so if i pressed a shit sounding, defective bootleg backspacer LP on purple wax you would buy it from me and call it a good purchase?

i am not judging, just surprised at how far "collecting" is going... (i.e. people willing to buy bootleg vinyl pressed by whoever that sounds like shit just to say they have it)
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    where are you guys seeing these? my perfunctory search on Ebay resulting in nothing but the real stuff

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    djmikeyz28djmikeyz28 Posts: 281
    If I can buy an album I love for $30 instead of $300 and enjoy spinning it, where's the harm?

I buy original Avocado off eBay for $300 -> Members of Pearl Jam get $0

I buy a bootleg of Avocado for $30 -> Members of Pearl Jam get $0

As long as there aren't official represses available for purchase, I don't see what the argument AGAINST bootleg pressing is.

Bring on the inexpensive, high quality bootlegs! :ar!
    Chicago-United Center 6/18/2003
    Chicago-United Center 5/17/2006
    Chicago-United Center 8/24/2009
    Ed Solo Chicago-Chicago Theatre 6/29/2011
    PJ20-Alpine Valley 9/3/2011 + 9/4/2011
    Chicago-Wrigley 7/19/2013
  • Options
    aurynsdadaurynsdad Posts: 773

Stay away from these bootlegs because the band gets zero for their hard work and they are probably just made using the cd as the source. Waste of money IMO

Those are definitely the two biggest reasons to not buy the bootlegs. I spent a lot of money on the real albums, but I don't regret it. It's unfortunate that they are an exclusive thing, but hopefully that will end soon with proper reissues.
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    aennilaennil Posts: 415
    wow, i didn't know that there are vinyl bootlegs around.... how can you tell the difference? are the covers different or does it say "unofficial" or something?
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015

If I can buy an album I love for $30 instead of $300 and enjoy spinning it, where's the harm?

I buy original Avocado off eBay for $300 -> Members of Pearl Jam get $0

I buy a bootleg of Avocado for $30 -> Members of Pearl Jam get $0

As long as there aren't official represses available for purchase, I don't see what the argument AGAINST bootleg pressing is.

Bring on the inexpensive, high quality bootlegs! :ar!

My $.02

When the record was originally made the band did get paid for it.

This new version is 1) Illegally made and 2) Not one cent goes to the band 3) this version will be inferior to the original.

I do get why people want them though, just like I understand why people buy things from Walmart...
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    I don't see the harm myself. Who can afford or wants to pay ridiculous amounts for half of PJ's studio albums because they or Sony haven't taken steps to reissue them yet? Like many people here I now own the blue Avocado and the white marbled Yield and Ukulele Songs and have no complaints with any of them. They have been reproduced to quite a high standard and they sound really good to my ears at least. I have had contact with a Discogs seller and agreed to buy these new boots because I don't think as a family man I can justify paying hundreds for a handful of albums that I'm picking up for a €30 average. I want these to at least keep my collection complete until such day the albums are officially re-released and then I'll buy those too. Bring on Riot Act, Live On Two Legs and Lost Dogs now. I do understand the moral issue here too. These people shouldn't be getting paid for reproducing someone else's art but I'm afraid they just make it so damn hard to ignore.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 890
    edited June 2014
    IMHO Pearl Jam has two choices, go after the bootleggers(Which is probably difficult since they are in Europe?) Or Reissue their Albums....
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    my2hands said:

my2hands said:

so if i pressed a shit sounding, defective bootleg backspacer LP on purple wax you would buy it from me and call it a good purchase?

i am not judging, just surprised at how far "collecting" is going... (i.e. people willing to buy bootleg vinyl pressed by whoever that sounds like shit just to say they have it)
    I can sort of understand those buying the bootleg Yield and Avocado because they don't have the originals, though I have heard conflicting opinions about the quality. What I can't understand is those who already own the originals then go buy the fakes just cos it's different coloured vinyl. I guess some just like to throw money away.

2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    When I see em, I'll buy em.

Staying out of the argument however. To each his own.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    yeah, fuck these bootlegs
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    aurynsdad said:

Benny bootleg can't be far behind

On the one hand, I hope you are right. On the other hand, if it's not a direct duplicate of the vinyl mastering, I don't think I want.
    Can't say for sure about Benny, but I'm pretty sure Lightning Bolt is the first PJ album to get a vinyl specific mastering job. The only differences to previous albums are those inherent to the format.

• Options
    DewieCox said:

aurynsdad said:

On the one hand, I hope you are right. On the other hand, if it's not a direct duplicate of the vinyl mastering, I don't think I want.
    Can't say for sure about Benny, but I'm pretty sure Lightning Bolt is the first PJ album to get a vinyl specific mastering job. The only differences to previous albums are those inherent to the format.

I didn't know that. I held off buying LB till the second pressing was out and haven't gotten around to it. Now I am excited to buy it. The CD version of LB sounds like total shit to me.

Also I think the Vault 3 was mastered for vinyl but I could be wrong. Sounds amazing almost too much low end on some songs. And Drop in the Park that was part of the Ten Deluxe sounds great on wax compared to the Remix and Remastered versions of Ten. I wouldn't waste my money on buying them alone. That's why I have never purchased the Vitalogy/Vs boxset.

One day I am going to open up my originals and spin them. I have kept them sealed for some reason all these years and i am afraid they are starting to get rings on the jackets. I know Yield and Live on 2 Legs are looking a little rough.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    DewieCox said:

aurynsdad said:

Backspacer vinyl was also mastered by Johnny Golden if memory serves. Also, due to the limitations of vinyl, my understanding is that anything that comes out on it has a vinyl specific mastering. Some just tend to depart more from the CD than others.
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    edited June 2014

I can sort of understand those buying the bootleg Yield and Avocado because they don't have the originals, though I have heard conflicting opinions about the quality. What I can't understand is those who already own the originals then go buy the fakes just cos it's different coloured vinyl. I guess some just like to throw money away.
    ^Boyo79

I am seeing $100+ for these albums! Just buy the original if you're going to pay that much.
    I do wonder if new vinyl collectors think that they are stumbling upon something rare?
  • Options
    $20-25 maybe,, but paying that much is insane.
    I would just save up and get the original

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    AmishGuy91AmishGuy91 Posts: 826
    edited June 2014
    boyo79 said:

Some people like colored vinyl. Not really throwing money away when I could probably sell them on eBay for more than I paid for them, but never plan on doing so.
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    Eels Beautiful Freak LP was fetching big bucks on ebay when it was out of print then a few months ago a bootleg appeared. Later this month it is getting a standard 180g reissue, could
    quite see this happening with PJ LPs. It happened with the ITW lp as well. The only downside will be the value of my originals plummeting and no deluxe boxsets for those who have the originals and want something extra. Once they are reissued there will be tons sitting around unsold. To avoid pressing too many Sony should press to order through 10 club.
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    I think if you're desperately seeking these hard to find/afford albums then these boots are great if you can pick them up quite cheap. I think I'll have paid once I get these new ones, around €120 for No Code, Yield, Binaural, Avocado and Ukulele Songs. An original Binaural costs double that and you might get No Code for about that. Once these PJ albums are officially re-released and I buy them all I'll probably still be looking at a combined price of an Avocado or Binaural at current prices. I wouldn't be buying these boots if I had the originals in my collection.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    we can pray hopefully all the real pj fans will get them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    danny d
  • Options

I think if you're desperately seeking these hard to find/afford albums then these boots are great if you can pick them up quite cheap. I think I'll have paid once I get these new ones, around €120 for No Code, Yield, Binaural, Avocado and Ukulele Songs. An original Binaural costs double that and you might get No Code for about that. Once these PJ albums are officially re-released and I buy them all I'll probably still be looking at a combined price of an Avocado or Binaural at current prices. I wouldn't be buying these boots if I had the originals in my collection.

But they're not the same thing. Sure, it's a bargain, but your best hope is that it's a decent copy of the CD cut onto vinyl. The whole reason most of us vinyl listeners appreciate vinyl is that it is NOT that.
  • Options
    Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 890
    They are now for sale on Discogs
  • Options
    hacohen3hacohen3 Posts: 16
    so tempting
  • Options
    Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,349
    :-q
  • Options
    bonebone Posts: 498
    $40+ for a bootleg version before shipping. I'll pass!!
    1993-08-12 - Edmonton, AB, Convention Centre
    2003-05-30 - Vancouver, BC, General Motors Place
    2005-09-04 - Calgary, AB, Pengrowth Saddledome
    2005-09-05 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2009-08-08 - Calgary, AB, Canada Olympic Park
    2009-09-21 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2009-09-22 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2011-09-23 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2013-11-30 - Spokane, WA, Spokane Arena
  • Options
    RW8297RW8297 Posts: 1,582
    I always thought the vinyl means the sound quality so it needs to be an official release.
    Fuck the bootlegs!
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    For me doesn't matter If reissuing albums is a lucrative venture for them or not. Bugs me some are stealing their songs to make money. I won't be purchasing but sure hope I can get official copies of some of their albums one day. Yield, Lost Dogs and Riot act.

Come on pj please fill this need.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG