Ten Club and 2014 Tour

2»

Comments

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    camodeo said:

Wow...all these responses are great. Thanks for making the day entertaining. :)

agreed

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Vedd Hedd said:

Their shows are much more in demand. back in the 90's hardly anyone knew about the fan club. Now there are members that have numbers in the 500xxx's (maybe more?) Supply and demand. They cant just hand over tickets to the oldest members anymore.

I think it's less about fan club numbers and more about how many concerts they play nowadays
    hippiemom = goodness
  • hey camodeo, i feel your pain. i have also been a member for 20 years. no lapses, great seniority. if you think about it, the system is pretty much like it was when we joined. back then,we were allowed to put in for one show per tour. no internet of course, so we sent in a check along with an index card. if our card was drawn, we got mailed the tickets. if not, we got our check sent back with a "sorry, maybe next time" letter. at least with the new lottery system, we get to see which shows are the most popular and get 2nd, and 3rd chances. i know its not perfect, and i know it could be tweaked a little. but its not a bad system.

one proposal i would like to make. if you miss out on your first choice, you should be put at the front of the line for the next tour. ahead of the lottery.

anyway, thanks for reading.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    That sucks! As The Rob would say, you'll find a way to get to the show if you are motivated!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Here's my personal take on the matter...
    I had a pretty good run with the seniority thing. I don't mind other people winning the lottery.
    But, I do believe that the kid in Lincoln, NE should get a better chance of seeing the gig in Lincoln... than me, coming out from Los Angeles... even if his membership number is 532,947.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Walking the milesWalking the miles Toronto Posts: 548
    benjs said:

Please see my notes in bold.

camodeo said:

I'm glad I'm not the only fan club member who feels robbed by the new ticketing process.
    There are others, but I'm not sure their opinions are worth much either. Robbed? Seriously? Did you own the ticketing process before it was ripped from your hands on this tour?

I've been a member for 20 years and have always been given the opportunity to buy tickets in advance of the public sale.
    You still did have the opportunity to buy tickets in advance. This time, the lottery was labelled as such - rather than being a hit-or-miss adventure of clicking F5 while you're waiting for the band's website to crash. Oh, or trusting the mailman with your money order for tickets.

This will be the first time I'll not be able to see Pearl Jam in Detroit and I'm shocked beyond belief. I always thought the PJ fan club was different. That they truly appreciated their life long fans. Clearly this has changed.
    Call me selfish, but I was born in '90. I discovered the band in 2005, and it is now a few years shy of half my life that I have loved, lived, and breathed this band. Seems to me this new method of ticket distribution is all about equitable treatment, with the recognition that you are NOT better than me for being born first.

I feel like an employee who has dedicated 20 years of service to their company only to be fired without a care in the world.
    Maybe you should contact the Better Business Bureau. Or write a review on ratemyemployer.com. Since, you know, you're an employee who's stood by your company through thick and thin. Oh, wait, you're a customer, and business practices change as businesses grow, customer bases become unmanageably large with the current practices, and the entire world of e-commerce is created and radically altered as your business grows.

Can someone in the fan club please explain why the process was changed? While I'm happy the band wants to treat all fans equally I would still think those of us who have paid dues for many many years get certain rights.
    You do have certain rights. For example, if your lottery entry won for reserved, you'd very likely be front row right next to Mike or Stone. Plus, you answered your first question with the first half of your second sentence.

What are the restrictions on how many tickets you are allowed to reserve for fan club members?
    Ticketmaster limits bands' fan clubs to 10% of a venue.

Specifically in Detroit as you chose a smaller venue this time around.
    20,000 is small for a venue? 10% of 20,000 is 2,000 tickets. That's the size of some small venues.

Why couldn't you offer more tickets to fan club members when there is clearly a need??
    Feel free to send a message to Ticketmaster. They will assuredly ignore it. If you think Pearl Jam and Ten Club haven't tried to fight for more tickets, you are likely wrong. They would get additional service fees (instead of Ticketmaster), they would be able to encourage more membership fees, and they would be able to give a greater degree of satisfaction to their customers.

This is just so sad as I was looking forward to the concert in October. It's been too long...
    This last sentence tells it all. Why did you rant? Because you didn't get what you wanted. Veruca Salt, I hope you never get your second pony.

Sincerely yours,

A guy who was always able to buy a Ten Club ticket when F5 was the way to go, and has yet to win the lottery, but feels it's a substantially better system.
    Well said benjs, you are wise beyond your years. I would not have pegged you as born in the 90's.
    "Feel the path of everyday....which road you taking?"

Barrie, ON '98
    Toronto, ON '00/'03/'06/'09/'11/'16(x2)
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,329
    Cosmo said:

I had a pretty good run with the seniority thing. I don't mind other people winning the lottery.
    But, I do believe that the kid in Lincoln, NE should get a better chance of seeing the gig in Lincoln... than me, coming out from Los Angeles... even if his membership number is 532,947.

I kind of agree with this....but that said...the kid in Lincoln probably has more access to radio station giveaways, season ticket holders, "friends with benefits" etc, than you do. At least in Lincoln. ;)

And that said....there are still tix available for that show.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,329

Vedd Hedd said:

Their shows are much more in demand. back in the 90's hardly anyone knew about the fan club. Now there are members that have numbers in the 500xxx's (maybe more?) Supply and demand. They cant just hand over tickets to the oldest members anymore.

I think it's less about fan club numbers and more about how many concerts they play nowadays

Oh agreed, but back then the fan club was so small. I almost joined in 95 and said, "Psh...im not joining a fan club!" Changed my tune in 1998. Im guessing a LOT of people joined around 1998-2000 when their website got way better. And have since been joining. (In 1995 you had to call an 800 number or write in. )

But yeah, couple that with the fact that they used to do larger tours, added shows a lot....and hit bigger cities. I mean look at this tour. I think the largest city is Detroit.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    They changed it because of what happened with PJ20. The server went down twice, maybe a 3rd time. People can't afford to take a day off work to try and get ticket or to have a server crash and have to take a 2nd day off.

This lottery takes the pressure off having to decide your shows overnight and having to take any work off at all to get tickets.

A band has to adjust or change as time goes on. They have grown, not just in size, but in a lot of ways and we have to grow too.

Just like any relationship. lifestyle changes, needs, desires, goals, it all changes. We all want to be who we were when we took the first step into the unknown but at the same time you have to be what you aspired to be as well. it's a balance.

I've said this before, when it comes to Pearl Jam and all the different ways it is intertwined and impacted so many areas of my life is such a strong, positive way, I've had more than my share. Everyone should be so lucky to have something so great that can be applied to every area of their life and know that it's good.

I got shut out this go around, I got id. #74,594. peace.

amy

Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • jbandlisajbandlisa Posts: 37
    Cosmo said:

This.
    KC 98 00 03 10
    Council Bluffs 03
    PJ20 (1 & 2)
    Wrigley 13, 16 (1 & 2), 18 (1 & 2)
    OKC 13
    Lincoln 14
    Moline 14
    St. Paul 14
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    amethgr8 said:

They changed it because of what happened with PJ20. The server went down twice, maybe a 3rd time. People can't afford to take a day off work to try and get ticket or to have a server crash and have to take a 2nd day off.

This lottery takes the pressure off having to decide your shows overnight and having to take any work off at all to get tickets.

A band has to adjust or change as time goes on. They have grown, not just in size, but in a lot of ways and we have to grow too.

Just like any relationship. lifestyle changes, needs, desires, goals, it all changes. We all want to be who we were when we took the first step into the unknown but at the same time you have to be what you aspired to be as well. it's a balance.

I've said this before, when it comes to Pearl Jam and all the different ways it is intertwined and impacted so many areas of my life is such a strong, positive way, I've had more than my share. Everyone should be so lucky to have something so great that can be applied to every area of their life and know that it's good.

I got shut out this go around, I got id. #74,594. peace.

amy

This is dead-on, and I love your last few paragraphs - astute and beautiful. I can assure you, Pearl Jam has not only enhanced my life, but prolonged it.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    When I first joined... the shows were General Admission for the entire house. It really didn't matter if you got tickets through the Fan Club or TicketMaster.
    I just thought the ease of getting tickets through the club was better than having to call ChargeLine and getting non-stop busy signals. Plus, it was only 5 bucks to join.
    The first seated show I went to was in 1998 for the Yield Tour. I landed in the 3rd row because back then, you only got to pick one show. With everyone with lower numbers than me coming to all the local gigs... i was moved back to Row 12 and with the Rows Lottery, it to Row 16.
    Not complaining, but the view from row 3 was incredible. Think of it as an ocean view room from the Ritz Carlton on Maui to the Days Inn at the airport. You're still in Hawaii and it's great and all... but, come on... the Ritz Carlton?
    I'm just saying that if I'm moved back 9 to 13 rows with a 139,000 number... the poor folks behind me get pushed back, too.
    That is why I liked the One Show thing for the seated gigs. It makes you be very selective.
    We can still go to as many shows as we want... but, we just have to deal with the seats we. I don't excpect to be in the front at every show. Yeah, it was great and all... but, I've had my share. I don't mind others getting those Ritz Carlton seats at the gigs.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • GS163319 said:

Seniority does still matter. Some people don't read anything Ten Club sends or posts.

True, especially if you managed to score reserved seats.
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007

Correct me if I'm wrong, but seniority does matter. It's gets you better reserved seats if you choose to go that route. Never in the history of the 10C has there been any advantage to seniority other than better seats. Being in the club itself gives everyone the opportunity to try and obtain tickets before the general public. Not to mention the vinyl, newsletters and exclusive merchandise that can not be purchased by non 10C members. In my opinion the membership cost is worth every penny and then some. My seniority gets me kick ass seats when I'm lucky enough to win them through the club.

Well that's right Seniority only Worked once you got the Tickets...I've got Two Front Row Seats out of the Three Pearl Jam Shows going through the Ten Club.

• ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    As posted in other threads there are three major problems:

1) Pearl Jam tours keep shrinkng. They barely play any dates. Thus the demand for the existing shows goes through the roof. Would Detroit be in such high demand if the band played some Toronto dates as well? Probably not. The bands lack of touring drives up demand for the shows they do play.

2) Ticketmaster. Ticketmaster limits how many tickets a fan club gets access too. The '98 and '00 tours had butt loads of fan club tickets. Over the past 15 years the # keeps dwindling. TM's target is 10% of a venue. I would imagine it's close that. 10c managed to get more after they brought in the rule, but 10c managed to get more, but it keeps dwindling.

3) # of Fan Club members - I think there were 30 to 40k members in 98/00? (I read that on the message board at the time). Now its estimated to 200k.

These three things are making it very hard to get tickets. I don't feel that screwing new ten club members is the solution. I do wonder how ethical it is to keep allowing new memberships with the caveat that you get a chance at tickets. The more people that join the smaller the chance is. How is ethical is it to keep raking in membership dues when you already know tickets are hard to come by? It feels like a bit of a cash grab (but still way less than the cash grabs of other fan clubs).

That's my thoughts. The changes in the last 15 years really don't work in anyones favour.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Seriously..people still confuse
    .the method 10c sale tickets with seniority??
    Its been 26 months since lottery started.for prague and berlin 2 2012 and still people dont realise that seniority has nothing to do with ticket sales??that seniority has to do with your seat location AFTER you and IF Score tickets??..unreal...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    This morning a friend and I who've logged over eighty shows between us were talking about how we've gotten happier just being in the building. We've both done the front row thing; now it's more important that we're in the building with our friends. One of the most fun Pearl Jam shows we've seen was last year in Seattle, and it was the first Pearl Jam show either of us has seen from behind the stage in the upper deck. I certainly won't complain about winning the lottery--I was 4/6 last year, although one of the wins was the second chance London draw--but ultimately I just want to be inside.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    edited May 2014
    I just joined the fan club with 20 of my friends 2 weeks ago and we all got GA in Detroit. I hope they play Jeremy.
    Post edited by JB128716 on
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • gettingrightgettingright Posts: 550
    JB128716 said:

I just joined the fan club with 20 of my friends 2 weeks ago and we all got GA in Detroit. I hope they play Jeremy.

you are funny

"...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • KingJeremyDKingJeremyD Posts: 2,313

It's all about trying to keep fan club members renewing and bringing in new memebers.....GA..

Don't get me wrong....It is great the ten club offers us 10c tickets....I have been to alot of shows with great seats...via 10c
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175

Seriously..people still confuse
    .the method 10c sale tickets with seniority??
    Its been 26 months since lottery started.for prague and berlin 2 2012 and still people dont realise that seniority has nothing to do with ticket sales??that seniority has to do with your seat location AFTER you and IF Score tickets??..unreal...

After being on the message boards this week....I have come to the sobering conclusion that reading comprehension is not a strength of a lot of 10 club members.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,663
    something tells me the last 2 weeks were a great time to be on holiday and away from these boards
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    As of 10:30am this morning there are still pairs available on TM for the Detroit show. Being upset that you do not have fan club tickets is understandable. Claiming that you are now unable to attend the show because of that is ridiculous.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • camodeocamodeo Posts: 5
    Zod said:

As posted in other threads there are three major problems:

1) Pearl Jam tours keep shrinkng. They barely play any dates. Thus the demand for the existing shows goes through the roof. Would Detroit be in such high demand if the band played some Toronto dates as well? Probably not. The bands lack of touring drives up demand for the shows they do play.

2) Ticketmaster. Ticketmaster limits how many tickets a fan club gets access too. The '98 and '00 tours had butt loads of fan club tickets. Over the past 15 years the # keeps dwindling. TM's target is 10% of a venue. I would imagine it's close that. 10c managed to get more after they brought in the rule, but 10c managed to get more, but it keeps dwindling.

3) # of Fan Club members - I think there were 30 to 40k members in 98/00? (I read that on the message board at the time). Now its estimated to 200k.

These three things are making it very hard to get tickets. I don't feel that screwing new ten club members is the solution. I do wonder how ethical it is to keep allowing new memberships with the caveat that you get a chance at tickets. The more people that join the smaller the chance is. How is ethical is it to keep raking in membership dues when you already know tickets are hard to come by? It feels like a bit of a cash grab (but still way less than the cash grabs of other fan clubs).

That's my thoughts. The changes in the last 15 years really don't work in anyones favour.

All good points Zod...thanks! It's too bad the tours keep shrinking as they obviously have a huge fan base. I'm curious if the Ten Club posts stats on their members (total #, by region etc). It would be interesting to see and perhaps help ease the pain of a dedicated fan who did not score fan club tickets. I will still always love this band!
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    Cosmo said:

I agree with almost all of your posts defending the Ten Club in the various threads, but the "hometown show" thing just doesn't work when they so rarely play large portions of the country (or world).

I figured it up yesterday and including the 1 and only time they played my "hometown", my average, one-way drive to see them across 11 concerts has been 4+ hours. If we were giving priority to hometowns, I might have never seen them because they don't come very near me very often.

I have been a member for over 11 years with no lapse. Not as long as some, but longer than many. I don't feel entitled and I have defended the lottery as much better than the F5 system which I never missed out on when I tried.

I've also never sat any closer than midway in the lower arena on the side. No complaints here.

The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.