Options

What was the last movie you watched?

Comments

• Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Pan's Labyrinth...(adult fantasy, quite interesting)
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    World's Greatest Dad

Cannot stand Robin Williams but I really like Bobcat Goldthwait's movies. Look forward to seeing Willow Creek.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,463
    47 Ronin

Liked it, didn't think it was too bad for having Keanu Reaves (however you spell his name) in it
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    Frozen. The kids love it. Personally, it isn't my cup of tea.
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
    anyone ever see The Way Back with steve carrell and toni collette? i watched it last week. not a good movie, but those coming of age ones with the awkward kid always is a little entertaining to me. this one was weird though. carrell as a dick just didn't feel right. didn't buy it. and the movie supposedly takes place in the present day yet it looks, feels, and sounds like it was right smack in the middle of 1986. they drive an old station wagon with the wood looking shit on the sides (the kid sits in the "way back"), all the other cars are old too, nobody has a cell phone, and the water park where the kid works is a total 80's looking place. and the music was all from the 80's. there's one scene where this kid...supposedly a 12-ish year old (so born right 2000) is listening (with ear buds, on his ipod) and singing along to reo fucking speedwagon--and another girl, of a similiar age, hears him and recognizes the song.

it took me about about half the movie to figure out this was taking place in 2010 and not 25 years earlier. i think it's the only reason i kept on watching it.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

anyone ever see The Way Back with steve carrell and toni collette? i watched it last week. not a good movie, but those coming of age ones with the awkward kid always is a little entertaining to me. this one was weird though. carrell as a dick just didn't feel right. didn't buy it. and the movie supposedly takes place in the present day yet it looks, feels, and sounds like it was right smack in the middle of 1986. they drive an old station wagon with the wood looking shit on the sides (the kid sits in the "way back"), all the other cars are old too, nobody has a cell phone, and the water park where the kid works is a total 80's looking place. and the music was all from the 80's. there's one scene where this kid...supposedly a 12-ish year old (so born right 2000) is listening (with ear buds, on his ipod) and singing along to reo fucking speedwagon--and another girl, of a similiar age, hears him and recognizes the song.

it took me about about half the movie to figure out this was taking place in 2010 and not 25 years earlier. i think it's the only reason i kept on watching it.

Originally, the filmmakers wanted to set it in the eighties, but they didn't have the budget for it. They still gave it an eighties feel, though.

As for Steve Carell, he played a dick for seven years on "The Office."

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    there's one scene where this kid...supposedly a 12-ish year old (so born right 2000) is listening (with ear buds, on his ipod) and singing along to reo fucking speedwagon--and another girl, of a similiar age, hears him and recognizes the song.
    :))

I havent see it yet but based on your post now I have to watch it. The scene you recount cracked me up. Was it that shitty 'I Cant Fight This Feeling Anymore" song?
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Save the Date.
    Total chick flick, but it was a testosterone tactic which buys me more time with the NBA finals this weekend.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364

We watched it as a family with our kids, 10 & 12, and really liked it. It's a feel good story.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
    edited June 2014
    dankind said:

Originally, the filmmakers wanted to set it in the eighties, but they didn't have the budget for it. They still gave it an eighties feel, though.

he wasn't really a dick on the office. more awkward than anything else

weak effort by the filmmakers then. i mean it was a good story but either set it in the 80's or set it in the present day. it just felt like some weird combination of the two.

fmitb---yeah i think it was that song.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    robertstackarmyrobertstackarmy So. WI Posts: 681
    The East.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,845
    Idris said:

Pan's Labyrinth...(adult fantasy, quite interesting)

:-bd

Indiana Jones and The Temple Of Doom
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    Just watched Now You See Me last night, omg, that movie was so awful! It was stupid and unrealistic and I like magic...but this was way too over the top...
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Watched The Perfect Storm last night (the ending) and then I watched the whole thing today. I've seen it before and I read the book before seeing it the first time. It always fills me with such mixed emotions; Junger is 2 for 2 (in my book, no pun intended) with this film and Restrepo (book & film).
  • Options
    njnancy said:

Watched The Perfect Storm last night (the ending) and then I watched the whole thing today. I've seen it before and I read the book before seeing it the first time. It always fills me with such mixed emotions; Junger is 2 for 2 (in my book, no pun intended) with this film and Restrepo (book & film).

One of my personal favourites.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Watched Private Ryan tonight. It was on TV yesterday and I saw bits of it. It was on the History channel so there were commercials. I own it so I put it on tonight. Such a good movie. My favourite Tom Hanks movie, next to Catch Me if you Can.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Rewatched Devil in a Blue Dress. Good one, I'd forgotten a lot.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    Will be watching Silver linings playbook tonight.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options

So it is Saturday night at Midnight....scrolling through on demand to see what is free to check out after watching the Kings game and I remembered this thread.
    So I watched The Way Way Back.
    I didnt think it was awful -- especially because my anticipation level was so low after your review.
    Good actors....and some stuff was kind of funny. (But I probably was laughing at things that were unintentionally funny & not where the writer was hoping to get laughs)
    I know I can be a pig but the part that made me chuckle was putting myself in that kid's shoes. If I were 14 or however old he was supposed to be I would have been walking around with my hand down my pants. (Pretty much did at that age w/o all of the 20 year old actresses pretending to be 15-16 years old)
    I was kind of hoping Sam Rockwell would punch Steve Carrell out at the end.
    It was meant to be a feel good story but it made me want to stomp Carrell's character.
    The REO Speedwagon part was pretty amusing, damn I hate that song.
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    Last Survivor.....excellent flick
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Maleficent. Thought it was good, not great. Angelina Jolie was fantastic, better than the film overall
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,151
    bad country
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Hobbit part II
    I thought it was much better than the first one.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220

The beach and house scenes were filmed here in the town where I live (Carrell has a house here, usually spends about a month here in the summer). That's the beach I go to. The water park is actually in a town about 25 miles south of here by the cape Cod Canal, so the kid couldn't ride his bike there. The actual water park is pretty dated, so the joke about the owner never wanting it to age was appropriate.

I enjoyed the movie, especially the employees of Water Whiz. Carell playing a douche was definitely odd. In The Office he was a loveable douche, here he was just a douche.

It becomes apparent 5 minutes in that its set in modern time, The opening scene in the car had me wondering also, but then when they reach town you see newer cars and Carrell explains the station wagon was his father's that they used to take there every summer and he had it restored to cherry. They do have cell phones, remember when the neighbor girl is standing outside holding her iphone saying she is waiting for her dad to call back.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220

dankind said:

he wasn't really a dick on the office. more awkward than anything else

weak effort by the filmmakers then. i mean it was a good story but either set it in the 80's or set it in the present day. it just felt like some weird combination of the two.

fmitb---yeah i think it was that song.
    See I think the title had a double meaning. The place Duncan sits in the car, and the fact that the parents when they go to the beach for the summer are stuck in the past reliving (trying at least) their youth, drinking, smoking pot, staying up all night, largely ignoring their kids etc. and of course the fact that the water park is a relic stuck in the past.

Even the REO Speedwagon song, Duncan when he gets busted singing along by the neighbor says "My mom put it on there". I think basically the parents are kind of stuck in "The Way Way Back" figuratively as much as the kid is stuck there literally in the car.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    I watched the first 45 minutes or so of "The Wolf of Wall Street". I turned it off. I rarely do that with movies.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    X-Men: Days of Future Past. Pretty good ... much better than I thought it would be, and a clever way for a soft re-set of the franchise.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    CServantCServant DCO Posts: 1,182
    "Jack The Giant Slayer" which was better than expected. My wifey didn't like as much as I did though.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • Options
    soitgoes23soitgoes23 Posts: 13
    PJ 20, yesterday.
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    know1 said:

I watched the first 45 minutes or so of "The Wolf of Wall Street". I turned it off. I rarely do that with movies.

I turned off Silver Linings Playbook after 45 mins. I rarely do that either, but it was so boring.

Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014