Options

Learning Guitar

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Yes. Remember his advice: Practice what you cant do. It is something I constantly have to remind myself...

He gives general guidelines on when to move on. Basically, it is when you know the chords by heart and can make switches 40+ times. He does warn not to dwell too long on lesson(s). Sometimes when you advance, the old stuff magically becomes easier. Its all self-driven.

Basically, I just advance a lesson every one or 2 practice sessions. They are fairly basic so far and I havent had trouble making switches or identifying the chords by ear. I take notes (lol). Ill do his strum-pick-strum for each chord for a timed 5 minutes, then Ill do about 6 one minute changes (my rule is to hit 60 changes 3 days in a row before I "retire" a change). I have a list of "retired" ones and will do 1 per session to make sure its still good.
    Then I will do a few minutes of a chord progression or one of his songs from his site (I also bought his songbook).
    Then I will do his auditory (JUSTIN) exercises. I made a few on my own to on my smartphone.

I plan on doing this until the end of Stage 3. After that the chords get a bit in unfamiliar territory and new strumming patterns are introduced. So I will slow down the advancement and use the song lessons, and some of the peripheral stuff he has to tide me over while I take a little more time.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

I have been doing work. Practicing for perhaps 6 days a week for 3 months.

Learning via Justinguitar, Rock Prodigy, Rocksmith, and Bandfuse... as well as other internet research. Im doing well so far. Still in very novice territory, but I keep making forward progress. I can easily form and switch between open D, A, E, Am, Em, Dm, C, and G chords. Switching there is still room for improvement in speed and accuracy, but I see improvements each day.

Rock Prodigy has taken me into basic rhythm (basically 1/16th - whole notes on various BPMs), whole and half step relationships on one string and throughout the fretboard, Major Chromatic scale, Major scales on one string (0-2-4-5-7-9-11-12...), Open power chords E5, A5, and D5, and also put most of those things together.

Then the Rocksmith and Bandfuse I use for fun, do some of the exercises/games, a few lessons... keeping in mind what I have learned in the other 2 methods. I also fart around in the songs best I can just for fun and to get some gratification.

I also keep journals of my progress.

I am going to get through a good amount of "self-teaching" and eventually I am going to get a few lessons. My step father also claims he is a solid player and he wants to help.

The important thing is, Im enjoying it.

Loving reading all this info. My hubby gave me an acoustic guitar last year for my birthday (Taylor GS Mini). I've always wanted to learn but, you know, scared to fail, then kids, work etc..... Anyway I hit 40 last year and have been pretty consistent with my practice and making steady improvement folllowing justinguitar. What an awesome website! But anyway, thanks for mentioning Rock Prodigy and the others, I'm definitely going to check them out! I plan to buy a Strat in a year or so (when funds allow!). The best part about learning this instrument is you start hearing new things in your favourite songs and appreciate the complexity of the playing a lot more. I'm in new awe of the boys that's for sure!

"In fact, punk rock means exemplary manners to your fellow human being. Fuck being an arsehole" - Joe Strummer.

Instagram: pipingroller
    Facebook: Eden Sandwell
  • Options
    Where are you in JG?

Rock Prodigy is OK... Personally, I get something out of it. Im not sure its worth the money for a lot of people. I have also only completed 2 of the (14?) stages. I do believe that there is an option for acoustic where you mic it up.
  • Options
    Walking the milesWalking the miles Toronto Posts: 548
    A few years ago, I met Jim Cuddy of Blue Rodeo, and I asked him for any tips on learning the guitar (at the time I was just getting started). He told me buy a guitar stand. That way the guitar is always out ready to play, it will be there in your face reminding you. Also, it is much quicker to just pick it up when you may only have a few minutes. No taking it out of a case, and setting up. Since that advice my practice time expanded greatly, and its all about practice.
    "Feel the path of everyday....which road you taking?"

Barrie, ON '98
    Toronto, ON '00/'03/'06/'09/'11/'16(x2)
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16
  • Options
    Hey Mayday, I've finished the beginner course but I'm just trying to consolidate what I've learnt. I'm only up to 60bpm between a few chord changes, so have been trying to practice the ones I'm slow at. Having your guitar out is definitely conducive to better/more practice. I got my guitar last April and didn't really touch it for the first 3 months. Once I got it out on a stand that's when I actually committed to picking it up more, even if only 5 minutes at a time.
    "In fact, punk rock means exemplary manners to your fellow human being. Fuck being an arsehole" - Joe Strummer.

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I started out with some real easy songs... standard tuning... just playing the chords. Look up the chords and tab sheets and see if there are any instructional videos online.
    'Long Road' is really easy... so is 'Wishlist'.
    The toughest part is getting to the point where your fingers don't hurt anymore.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Cosmo said:

I started out with some real easy songs... standard tuning... just playing the chords. Look up the chords and tab sheets and see if there are any instructional videos online.
    'Long Road' is really easy... so is 'Wishlist'.
    The toughest part is getting to the point where your fingers don't hurt anymore.

Gotta just keep playing.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, Arizona Posts: 466

Hey Mayday, I've finished the beginner course but I'm just trying to consolidate what I've learnt. I'm only up to 60bpm between a few chord changes, so have been trying to practice the ones I'm slow at. Having your guitar out is definitely conducive to better/more practice. I got my guitar last April and didn't really touch it for the first 3 months. Once I got it out on a stand that's when I actually committed to picking it up more, even if only 5 minutes at a time.

Just be careful to keep it from drying out! I keep my electrics out, but store my acoustic guitars in cases with a humidifier.
  • Options
    BHealy said:

Just be careful to keep it from drying out! I keep my electrics out, but store my acoustic guitars in cases with a humidifier.
    Cheers, will look into it :)

• Options
    -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    edited March 2014
    Has anyone here started learning on the ukulele and then go onto learn the guitar as well? I certainly don't play the uke well, but I enjoy it :).

Any idea what Ed is playing here? Is it a Guitalele of some kind?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5RrcruaK6Q

PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Options
    TashkTashk Sydney Posts: 24
    Hey Guys, I'm learning Big Hard Sun on Uke, very basic chords haha but I can't figure out the chord progression for the beginning of the song, can anyone please tell me, learning very basic version haha, would be much appreciated guys :)
  • Options
    oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    -Emma- said:

Has anyone here started learning on the ukulele and then go onto learn the guitar as well? I certainly don't play the uke well, but I enjoy it :).

Any idea what Ed is playing here? Is it a Guitalele of some kind?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5RrcruaK6Q

I believe it is a 6-string uke.

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    Still been playing a lot. Been playing a lot with Bandfuse, which has been good. I really need to go back to Justinguitar though and keep hammering out those lessons and practice schedule.

On a bass, playing fingerstyle... whats the best way to strum chords/double stops, etc...
  • Options
    I have slacked the past few weeks. I have heard a song and looked up the tab (not for you, fucking up) and plugged in to play it. I need to get on that justinguitar site too.

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    Yep, I've been slack too. Have hit a wall. Still trying for smoother and quicker chord changes, but I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere. When I picked up my daughter from school yesterday one of the other kid's dad was in there playing kids songs on guitar for them, and I got very jealous! I think that's the kick up the bum I need to motivate me to keep practising.
    Tashk said:

Hey Guys, I'm learning Big Hard Sun on Uke, very basic chords haha but I can't figure out the chord progression for the beginning of the song, can anyone please tell me, learning very basic version haha, would be much appreciated guys :)

Sorry I can't help you with this, but have you looked up some tutorials on YouTube, that might give you some ideas? Good luck!

• Options

Yep, I've been slack too. Have hit a wall. Still trying for smoother and quicker chord changes, but I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere. When I picked up my daughter from school yesterday one of the other kid's dad was in there playing kids songs on guitar for them, and I got very jealous! I think that's the kick up the bum I need to motivate me to keep practising.

Tashk said:

Sorry I can't help you with this, but have you looked up some tutorials on YouTube, that might give you some ideas? Good luck!

After a solid 6-8 months of playing near daily I took a break for 3ish weeks. I just picked it up again Monday and have learned a Lukin, not for you and started on Fucking up. I always practice basic chord changes for a few minutes when I first pick up the 6 string as a warm up. I actually feel the rest has helped me.

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, Arizona Posts: 466
    Fuckin' up is a blast. Are you in Dropped-D for that? I love that one.
  • Options
    oysterjar said:

Tashk said:

After a solid 6-8 months of playing near daily I took a break for 3ish weeks. I just picked it up again Monday and have learned a Lukin, not for you and started on Fucking up. I always practice basic chord changes for a few minutes when I first pick up the 6 string as a warm up. I actually feel the rest has helped me.
    Whenever I hit a plateau or feel uninspired, a few days off is much needed.
  • Options
    It was amazing when I went back to playing again. It was almost like my mind/hands "healed" and I was able to learn new things and progress chords more quickly. Glad to see an experienced guitar player also does this.

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    nevmilesnevmiles Ottawa, ON Posts: 1,363

A few years ago, I met Jim Cuddy of Blue Rodeo, and I asked him for any tips on learning the guitar (at the time I was just getting started). He told me buy a guitar stand. That way the guitar is always out ready to play, it will be there in your face reminding you. Also, it is much quicker to just pick it up when you may only have a few minutes. No taking it out of a case, and setting up. Since that advice my practice time expanded greatly, and its all about practice.

GREAT ADVICE
    Amazing! I would say that too. I have been playing for a little over a year now and when I bought a stand a few months back, my "playing time" skyrocketed. it is definitely much easier to just pick it up off the stand and start strumming, whereas before I had to dig the case out, open it up, get my "song book" opened etc., then start playing. Was a bit of a production just to get going. Not anymore!
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • Options
    I have my guitars on stands, but Im considering getting wall hooks/mounts.
  • Options
    I still use stands. Wall mounts scare me.
  • Options
    i still need to research that, but my son will be walking soon and he LOVES guitars
  • Options
    I have 2 little girls. My guitar room has a door ;)
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

I have my guitars on stands, but Im considering getting wall hooks/mounts.

I picked up a few wall mounts at guitar center. Better than stands IMO. Off the floor and kind of makes it decorative as well.

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    http://giventowail.com

Right now I just pull up this website, go to tabs and try to play along with the studio recordings. Its "fun"

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    Jon ChorbaJon Chorba Posts: 268
    edited March 2014
    Hey guys and gals...if you are looking for a good guitar teacher in your local area, check out this page on my site. I'm a guitar teacher in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and I have an extensive network of some of the best music teachers around the world...one may just be in your town!

There's no substitute for an excellent teacher. I started out as a self-taught player and I had some pretty shitty experiences with below average teachers...getting a great teacher will shave YEARS off of your playing.

If You Like Crunchy Guitar Riffs, Powerful Vocals, Melodic Guitar Solos, And Meaningful Lyrics..then you need to check out one of the most refreshing new hard rock bands in quite some time...-->The Liberty Underground<--
  • Options
    nothing here. Thanks anyways.
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    I just play. I'm not great but I don't suck either. I will most likely never be in a band and I'm okay with that. I just play and have fun with it. I know power chords, chords and barre chords. I know other stuff like maj and minor scale for me it is just a release of stress and a way to have fun.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    I just found a website for a company called zZounds.com. By far the best prices online for guitars and super low pricing on blemished guitars. Anyone deal with them?

Wind this thing up.