Options

Most complete album

oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
edited January 2014 in The Porch
Times change, and as we grow, we learn. What Album from start to finish is the full package? (BBH's song run poll results, and comments that followed, made me want to know) From poetry, emotion, guitar riffs and groove, which one has everything? Feel free to give reasons as to why and who you think will win (if you chose one that you don't).

Wind this thing up.

Most complete album 115 votes

Ten
18%
JKestlejust daveiOnlyownMymindpdalowskypjsteelerfanPA Jammerrtwilli4dimitrispearljamjoberschlakecs181253mguay13cp3iversonspragg101BLACK35wingendtoro1998jfresqueBennyorr4Natashapearljamfanrummy 21 votes
Vs
15%
facepollutionNoloadbluesuedeitzradNamiShaqdaddy.lovethepj.loix71Kearn5yRoleModelsinBlood31annabellaqueenmrussel1axellaire8Big Bank HankCallItBehaviorPJfanOKaddievedderstoppler_pjStruen14 18 votes
Vitalogy
7%
TroubledSoulRoeghmannyears of lightDL50295TK104186jd260817mayerdnicknyr15Pumpkin78 9 votes
No Code
7%
mca47LostdogsinthegardenforiginalsinBantRedMosquito02mfc2006choosetofeelveddertownPorchRadio 9 votes
Yield
25%
fall by the waysideJonnyPistachioDuncsLedbetterman10callenPJammer4lifeOceansMagnetse7v7enjkb708ty9969WhyNotSwedenJB23237JP34919Rob ArmKM78948RK102797JF110284RP112579Glitch Theorybambam87 29 votes
Binaural
8%
vedderfan02happyhourheromaj4eDewieCoxUncle Snuffyjarkkonieminenbinauralsounds182PJ_SoulshetellsherselfEvilTim102 10 votes
Riot Act
5%
CJ23113backspacer.Amongst the Anijeff2040troysp1Choccoloccotide 6 votes
Pearl Jam
6%
milanJP33javis el erranteCortez the Killer sent meTony Ferrarocwar077willbarclay 7 votes
Backspacer
1%
LoveBoatCaptainDaveShibboleth 2 votes
Lightning Bolt
3%
SomethingCreativevaggar99Indifference152Acesn8s 4 votes

Comments

• Options
    Yield
    There are a lot of amazing songs out there in their catalogue, but this album gets me every time.

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    Vs
    Go, Elderly Woman, Blood, Dissident, Daughter, Glorified G

Hard rockers, sing alongs, catchy tunes

VS. has this in spades for me.
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    Vs
    really I think Vs, No Code and Yield all are albums where every single song is great, so it becomes like splitting hairs
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited January 2014
    Ten
    Has to be TEN. Absolutely no filler. Absolutely all killer.

Love Vitalogy but while the weird tracks set the atmosphere it wouldve been the best EP of all time without them.
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    No Code
    Vitalogy will always be the favourite for me for capturing a significant point in an era and amazing songwriting but No Code was the first one that made me feel like I'd taken a trip somewhere. Yield and Riot Act did that for me too.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    Yield

really I think Vs, No Code and Yield all are albums where every single song is great, so it becomes like splitting hairs

Agreed, but given the mood I could throw in Binaural to your mix. Its abstractness and sense of self being from the music at that time is unreal. Thanks!

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    Yield

Vitalogy will always be the favourite for me for capturing a significant point in an era and amazing songwriting but No Code was the first one that made me feel like I'd taken a trip somewhere. Yield and Riot Act did that for me too.

Its all about the trip when it comes to a full album.

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    Lightning Bolt
    i went with LB. not my favorite necessarily but it has a finished quality to it. 12 distinct songs. No filler really (thats subjective of course).
  • Options
    Yield
    vaggar99 said:

i went with LB. not my favorite necessarily but it has a finished quality to it. 12 distinct songs. No filler really (thats subjective of course).

Its all about subjection, its art. I haven't taken the full trip yet on LB that I have on a few others, but I love listening to it from start to finish. Its amazing what those guys can do.

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    edited January 2014
    Vs
    I really need to spend more time coaching my lax team, my step daughter, and tending to my greenhouse than visiting this forum.
    Oh, and opening my second bakery, due in march.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Ten
    TEN by miles..perfect all 11 songs,with solos,and lyrics and riffs,and all..
    its their only album,that 100% of the songs in it are PERFECT...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Ten
    i know it's not cool to say Ten is the best at anything but it is THE complete Pearl Jam album.

11 songs that were simply shaped to be the best they could be. No audience. No pressure to go any direction, etc.
  • Options
    AC16758AC16758 Posts: 46
    Ten it all starts with that!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    Yield
    To me Yield is the closest to being the most complete PJ album. But my answer to the question "What Album from start to finish is the full package?" is none. Now before anyone starts chucking spears at me listen, I'm a huge Pearl Jam fan. I just don't think they've ever put together a full package. Every album has to me at least one or two toss away songs or one or two that just don't work. Doesn't diminish their greatness but I honestly don't believe they've made their "Murmur" or "After the Gold Rush" or "Highway 61 Revisited" or "Axis Bold as Love" or "Sgt. Pepper's" or "Beggar's Banquet" or "The Doors" and for me it's what has kept them one tiny notch under those bands as favorites and or best rock bands. But I'd say the same for The Replacements and I'm a huge 'mats fan. Same thing for the Ramones and they were a monstrously great band.

Oh, ok, chuck your spears. "It doesn't hurt when I bleed so bring it on, I'm no victim." image
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2014
    Finally!

Someone else has the balls to post in the forum that Pearl Jam does have some bad songs in their catalogue.
    No spears from me my friend. Lightning Bolt could have had 3 other songs.

Yes I just edited because of grammar, my original was there so I changed it to their. Just in case certain people chime in about grammar.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Ten

i know it's not cool to say Ten is the best at anything but it is THE complete Pearl Jam album.

11 songs that were simply shaped to be the best they could be. No audience. No pressure to go any direction, etc.

I like the way you think..couldnt agree more!!perfectly said
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    Yield

Finally!

Someone else has the balls to post in the forum that Pearl Jam does have some bad songs in their catalogue.

Yes I just edited because of grammar, my original was there so I changed it to their. Just in case certain people chime in about grammar.

Hey, thanks. image

And know wurries, I misspel about ounce a year myslef.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,031
    Yield
    Yield is a total masterpiece. Wouldn't change a single note. Perfection.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    Ten
    ten for me and very closely followed by Vs
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited January 2014
    Binaural

Finally!

Wow, seriously? Lol. I guess you haven't read any of the Backspacer threads. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata