How About a Pearl Jam Obscure Fact Repository

Comments

• GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618

"If I want to make a song based on sound effects from the movie Mars Attacks, I can do that." - E.V.

Eddie Vedder may have written some of the catchiest Pearl Jam songs to date, but an experimental streak runs through his past work, as well. One example, an aural collage created with nothing more than pocket change. The unmistakeable sound of coins reverberating off the ground chime melodiously without a hint of the cacophonous clamor easily rendered from the small metallic objects. Recorded during the Binaural sessions, a segment of it sparsely fuses into 'Of the Girl' as an added touch. On its own, the coin medley is a few minutes long and even has a title. It's called 'Change.'

Someone also told me that in 'Of the Girl' there is a hidden reference to the band being "high" in the studio. At the 4:45 mark you can hear someone take a deep inhale and at 4:51 a voice mumbles "marijuana"
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    This is my favorite so far. which interview is this from?
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam

This fact is debatable, but if true than it is too good to keep to myself. Scouring the Rumor Pit for a time when the PJ organization could be a bit more transparent while the internet community was still in its infancy, I came across this tidbit:

From January 12, 1997
    Rumor pit #21
    Q: On a Tower Records commercial, professional, multi-camera footage was shown of Hail, Hail from a live concert. Is there going to be a live show video released? When?
    A: Hope so.

From that coy response, I am going to infer the existence of pro-shot video from 1996 which would be amazing footage to see from such a reclusive era. I always felt the No Code tour had the worst quality bootleg videos than any other year, so this gives me hope when reissue time comes around!

I am sure they have pro-shot video from that tour as we all heard at one point that they shoot each and every one of their performances. Isn't Kevin doing that? But who knows if we will see any of that goodness. Pro-shot footage from No Code tour would be delicious.

thanks so much for starting this thread. Very interesting.

#standingman #duranadam
    edited January 2014

smanchac1" said:
    [quote="pleatherman"]For anyone that has never been completely won over by the song 'Bushleaguer', know this- that is not the original version! Before the spoken-word verses were recorded, there existed a different "singing" version with a strong vocal melody. Unfortunately, Eddie found it too catchy and it was unceremoniously dismissed in favor of what became the album track.
    Anyone know where I can hear this??[/quote]

As far as I know, you can't. I only know of its existence because it was mentioned in a couple interviews with Jeff. But, on the other hand, I'm always the last person to know when something leaks.

Would love to hear this as well. I'm sure somehow someday we will get to hear it...you know, as long as disgruntled employees are around ;)

#standingman #duranadam
    Mudhoney must be Pearl Jam's favorite opener by a long shot, but could Mudhoney say the same thing when Bad Radio opened up for them in 1989. Oh yeah, and the Lemonheads were there too. Can't forget about the Lemonheads :D

Are you saying Vedder knew Mudhoney guys before he got introduced to his future band
    members?

#standingman #duranadam
  • nuzzer1nuzzer1 New Jersey Posts: 1,426

This postcard from Eddie Vedder to his roommates in San Diego really alludes to the magical serendipity of Pearl Jam's inception, captured while it was happening.

Throughout Eddie's transplant to Seattle, he bounced around different places to crash before a permanent residence was found. Among them was Kelly Curtis' home, Ament's apartment, or other times just spending the night at Galleria Potato Head. The return address on the postcard reveals Eddie's posh stay at the hip Vance Hotel prior to Mookie Blaylock's first show. It is now dubbed Hotel Max and prides itself on the city's musical heritage, with an entire floor dedicated to Sub Pop.

And how about that, an Eddie Vedder door!

Interesting that he wrote the postcard the same day as Off Ramp.
  • majleap3majleap3 Posts: 208

"If I want to make a song based on sound effects from the movie Mars Attacks, I can do that." - E.V.

Eddie Vedder may have written some of the catchiest Pearl Jam songs to date, but an experimental streak runs through his past work, as well. One example, an aural collage created with nothing more than pocket change. The unmistakeable sound of coins reverberating off the ground chime melodiously without a hint of the cacophonous clamor easily rendered from the small metallic objects. Recorded during the Binaural sessions, a segment of it sparsely fuses into 'Of the Girl' as an added touch. On its own, the coin medley is a few minutes long and even has a title. It's called 'Change.'

Thank you for this!!!

MIke didn't enjoy Corduroy in 2001 :)

DA: Here's a question. What's the worst Pearl Jam song?

MM: Oh, wow. What do I not like of ours that we play? Maybe some odd song that we don't ever play called "Bugs." I get a little tired of playing "Corduroy," but don't tell Eddie that because he'll get pissed. We play that almost every night.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    majleap3 said:

MIke didn't enjoy Corduroy in 2001 :)

DA: Here's a question. What's the worst Pearl Jam song?

MM: Oh, wow. What do I not like of ours that we play? Maybe some odd song that we don't ever play called "Bugs." I get a little tired of playing "Corduroy," but don't tell Eddie that because he'll get pissed. We play that almost every night.

More proof that EV knows exactly what he's doing when he writes the setlists. Corduroy kills it with the crowd at every show, and the fans never get sick of it. It's one of their best live songs, so should be played frequently.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I can certainly understand how playing the same song every night could get old though from a bandmembers point of view
  • Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    I find it odd that of all the "frequent" songs, Corduroy is one that Mike gets tired of. every time he's playing it he's killing (and (it looks like he's really enjoying it, too). I would guess it would be Small Town or something like that.

I find it odd that of all the "frequent" songs, Corduroy is one that Mike gets tired of. every time he's playing it he's killing (and (it looks like he's really enjoying it, too). I would guess it would be Small Town or something like that.

Well remember he said this 13 years ago. It's fairly likely that his attitude has changed since then anyway.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    There is hope for the monkeywrench broadcasts to be released! This is from 2000 so maybe it's a dream but Ed at least one time thought it was a good idea

AskPearlJam: binaural_5_16_00-guest says: Will you guys ever put out any more videos like "Single Video Theory"?
    Eddie: Yes, but better. Actually, I'd like to put out that we've done this thing called Monkey Wrench Radio a few times and we'd like to put that out as well because they were filmed.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    what's wrong with this picture?

photo IMG_0240_zpsb78e5725.jpg
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    imalive said:

Nov 30th was Vegas...
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    BinFrog said:

imalive said:

Nov 30th was Vegas...
    There is something else wrong as well
    Actually I misread it. NM :)
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    BinFrog said:

imalive said:

Nov 30th was Vegas...
    this is true. what is really odd is that PJ was ever even close to playing st. george UT.....about as conservative, straight laced and uptight as provo!

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    Best thread on the boards! Well, except maybe the one where people are concerned about Ed drinking too much :-?
  • djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    Fact: Pearl Jam used to sell bootlegs of their shows. They stopped this practice in 2013 for some reason. ;-)
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806
    edited January 2014

teeman" said:
    [quote="pleatherman"]'Gimme Some Truth' was the song Eddie originally planned on performing for "America: A Tribute to Heroes" as a statement against the political climate post-9/11. In the end, however, he decided to take part in the healing process with 'Long Road.'
    Do you have a source on this one?[/quote]
    Where, oh, where did my article go?
    The internet needs to do a better job of saving this stuff :oops:

I think it's also in the PJ20 book
    As you know had I read a few posts further before replying. X_X
    Post edited by karmadefect on
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
    Ok, this seems as good of a thread to ask this question as any:

For years I've had a weird early acoustic version of Porch that I absolutely love. It appears to be from a radio show or a studio demo/outtake. During the middle breakdown, Eddie says something about "I worship the ground that xxx and yyy walk on" (I can't make out whose names he says).

Who has more info on this? Where is it from and who does he mention in the jam?
    Is it maybe 10/23/91? From FH:

10/23/91 - FM Radio: Lansing, MI (acoustic + intv) [20m]
    set: Porch, Wash
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    BinFrog said:

Is it maybe 10/23/91? From FH:

10/23/91 - FM Radio: Lansing, MI (acoustic + intv) [20m]
    set: Porch, Wash

I don't think its that performance.. PJ Bootlegs has the 2 songs/interview and they're different. I'd love to know where its from, it sounds great.

http://www.pearljambootlegs.org/modules/jinzora2/index.php?nuCU0sannA===ZZ9uk5RkbXBoYZJoYJhmWYafmszOyZqehYylkqjLWbiiz6vH16adq7BUp4VTuJSdoqVjhKrDrKSFhZKfp8JZPLUSnymCGgquRU4mKeA==&ext.html
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Definitely not the same version.
    The Porch/Wash is nice as well, but the first Porch is brilliant.
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

Any idea who he mentions in the breakdown?