Options

European GA crowds

pjcordpjcord Posts: 75
edited December 2013 in The Porch
I have a question for you guys about GA in Europe. I got reserved seats for the US shows, and then wished I had GA when I saw how small and relatively tame the GA pits were. One could arrive at show time and be 10 rows back, and closer than any reserved seats. Will it be a similar situation in Europe, specifically Italy, where I'll go to both shows? I'm wondering if they'll do a dedicated 10C pit this time (I know they haven't in the past) but if not, how rough will it be?

With the Italy shows in stadiums, I'm worried about reserved seats being far from the stage, but also worried about a huge free-for-all pit which my wife wouldn't like. I heard the Italian crowds can be rough. Thoughts? And thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Usa GA = Making love
    Europe GA (espesially Itay)= Hardcore sex

hope that helps
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    pjcordpjcord Posts: 75
    Ha. Excellent analogy. I know the crowds will be rougher in Italy, I guess I'm wondering if anyone has been to the two Italian stadiums and whether it's worth braving the GA crowds with someone who doesn't like rough crowds (bad experience in Atlanta) or if the reserved seats will be close enough for someone used to reserved seats in an American arena.
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    I've not seen PJ in Italy yet, but usually Italian GA crowds are quite tame. I'd be more concerned about Berlin and UK.
    Still, PJ crowds in general are not rough. Depends on which other bands you've seen and on your standards I guess. :lol:
  • Options
    San Siro is a big stadium and so seats will be far back from the stage no doubt unless they do something about!

Can't say for the Italian crowds but UK crowds we don't care too but to help people out and go nuts, and enjoy the music pits are there to have the concert experience!
    If i was ever the problem, i'd certainly never admit it...
  • Options
    RideRickRideRick Hoorn Posts: 703
    Usa GA = Making love
    Europe GA (espesially AMSTERDAM)= Hardcore sex

hope that helps
    :lol: that sums it up pretty much Dimi
    | Pinkpop 1992 *BEST EVER | Rotterdam 1993 | Amsterdam 1996 | Pinkpop 2000 | Arnhem 2006 | Nijmegen 2007 | Rotterdam 2009 | Nijmegen 2010 | Amsterdam I + II 2012 ** | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2012 First European Concert *EPIC*| Amsterdam I + II 2014 | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2016 night I  | Amsterdam I + II 2018 | Amsterdam I -> Canceled  +  II 2022 *EPIC
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    Let me tell you a story.
    Nurburgring, Rock am Ring Festival, 2003 or 2004.
    I, with a friend, got a good spot close to the stage before Metallica starts. We check around, everyone seems cool, calm people, with girls around. We thought we would be OK at that spot.
    First notes are heard from Metallica and it is like armageddon. There are no words to describe the strive you have to do just to be able to not fall and be crushed under the boots.
    ANd let me tell you, I am not much of a softie, I am into cardio and dumbbells and that stuff.
    But it didn't help, we ended up 100 meters back to be able to breathe. :x
    I also entered GA first choice. Let's see how it unfolds, this time. :lol:8-)
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    1992 I was there somewhere 5 meters to the left where Eddie jumped into.. Madness :D:D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wq6VeeYZQY
    | Pinkpop 1992 *BEST EVER | Rotterdam 1993 | Amsterdam 1996 | Pinkpop 2000 | Arnhem 2006 | Nijmegen 2007 | Rotterdam 2009 | Nijmegen 2010 | Amsterdam I + II 2012 ** | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2012 First European Concert *EPIC*| Amsterdam I + II 2014 | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2016 night I  | Amsterdam I + II 2018 | Amsterdam I -> Canceled  +  II 2022 *EPIC
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,026
    It's not going to be like this :

BaPdXho.jpg?1
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    edited December 2013
    Having done GA in Europe last year and GA in US this year, European crowds seem more enthusiastic (in a good way). Berlin was the roughest of them all and I was uncomfortable but I wouldn't say I was worried for my life (unlike Manchester 2000 where I was alternating between euphoria and thinking I was going to get stomped to death in the pit). PJ security (and Ed) won't let the pit get too nuts if you're worried about safety.

I haven't been paying attention so I'm not clear if GA is 10c only like in the US, or if the public can access GA like Europe last year. In Europe last year, some venues had 10c only GA sections while others didn't. Berlin didn't, so a lot of people were pushing their way forward in the pit. If there's a 10c only section, we all tend to be more respectful and take care of each other.

You will be in very close proximity to people and the concept of your own space won't really exist so if that's something you and your wife won't enjoy, seats may be better but for me, GA is the way to go!
    Post edited by Suziemay on
  • Options
    mrk2 wrote:

BaPdXho.jpg?1
    So. Fucking. Sad.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mrk2 wrote:

BaPdXho.jpg?1

Nucking futs! :oops:
  • Options
    mrk2 wrote:

BaPdXho.jpg?1

tumblr_mn2t88PADR1rzianao1_500.gif

eew.gif

eew.gif

tumblr_mbzw8oSRdL1rebo8wo1_500.gif

i-want-him-dead-o.gif
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mrk2 wrote:

BaPdXho.jpg?1

tumblr_mn2t88PADR1rzianao1_500.gif

eew.gif

eew.gif

tumblr_mbzw8oSRdL1rebo8wo1_500.gif

i-want-him-dead-o.gif
  • Options
    Any ideas what the Rock Werchter crowds/experience are like...defintely a good crew with Metallica, Black Keys, Pearl Jam....Anyone with thoughts about how the GA crowds are here?
  • Options
    jlbusch wrote:
    Any ideas what the Rock Werchter crowds/experience are like...defintely a good crew with Metallica, Black Keys, Pearl Jam....Anyone with thoughts about how the GA crowds are here?
    Had no problems in 2010. It was really hot during Alice in Chains and other band playing during the day. But it was a soft crowd!
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    GA is NEVER 10c only and polish and Italian (and Spanish close behind) are by far the roughest ones.
    I've 25 years experience doing GA and moshpits and I simply won't go into an Italian pit anymore.. spending too much time fighting for space and breath to enjoy it (And I was front row at reading, which was the closest to those, tight but not aggressive.. uk is fine if you keep off the middle).
    Oh and forget about queuing in Italy, they have no concept of the word and it's free for all, whichever can climb over you to get there (like in the pit)

GA crowds in the US are so tame as to be boring (from my experience at lolapalooza and bonaroo).

If you want mellow GA in Europe, head for Amsterdam.

Werchter is fine for me, but probably too rough for yanks, at the front anyway.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Usa GA = Making love
    Europe GA (espesially Itay)= Hardcore sex

hope that helps

Time to book my flight! :lol:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Pegasus wrote:
    GA is NEVER 10c only and polish and Italian (and Spanish close behind) are by far the roughest ones.
    I've 25 years experience doing GA and moshpits and I simply won't go into an Italian pit anymore.. spending too much time fighting for space and breath to enjoy it (And I was front row at reading, which was the closest to those, tight but not aggressive.. uk is fine if you keep off the middle).
    Oh and forget about queuing in Italy, they have no concept of the word and it's free for all, whichever can climb over you to get there (like in the pit)

GA crowds in the US are so tame as to be boring (from my experience at lolapalooza and bonaroo).

Are Polish/Italian/Spanish crowds rougher than crowds in Berlin/Manchester?
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:
    Pegasus wrote:

Berlin 2009 and Milano 2006 are the worst crowds I've been in.

Sweden 2012 and Copenhagen 2007 the best.
  • Options
    RoelandRoeland Posts: 177
    jlbusch wrote:

Werchter changed its barrier setup a couple of years ago. It are now completely closed front sections with gates to get in and security monitoring how many people get in. It's still pretty crowded up front but the crowd has gotten less rough as it's no longer possible to push your way all the way from the back to the front.
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Suziemay wrote:
    Pegasus wrote:

Berlin 2009 and Milano 2006 are the worst crowds I've been in.

Sweden 2012 and Copenhagen 2007 the best.
    chorsow in 07 is the worst, wasn't in the pit and damn glad of it at Milan 06 based on what my friends who were saidand what I could see, pistoia and bologna were bad enough! Madrid 07 also bad (and Barcelona 06 not much better although that one was partly the security, or lack of, fault)

Reading 06, Paris 06 and berlin 06,07 (not so much in 09 for me) probably behind those.

Any show in the Netherlands are mellow (but in a good way, unlike Arras that was the most boring crowd ever! )
  • Options
    As long as noone says.......i wanna see a circle pit open up right here.......and points at where you are standing it should be fine :mrgreen: that said.....there will be squashing jumping dancing and general going with the music. Ive heard alot of people on this board giving out cause people bumped into them in ga......if thats your view.....stay out! The crowds in europe wont take that kindof shit from people. If a general mosh starts it will continue until its ready to end. People will watch out for eachother but it is a lot easier to go along with it or gtfo when it starts if you arent into it. And.....if you cant get out you crowdsurf out......i ended up five back from stage at rammstein at download festival last year and had to surf out causei couldnt breathe. Overall.....it was awesome and my fellow revellers were happy to help me out.......lie flat....boots up.....no kicking ;)
    168dcfb.jpg
  • Options
    more cool are Dutch..so so cool people,,the only problem someone might have is if he is short..
    those people are fuckin tall!!
    i saw italian crowd are taugh..and i trust Pegasus when she says about polish..she knows

and fromt he shows i went,Berlin 09 was the most dangerous of all..crazy fuckers that day

san siro,will be hardcore for sure..wrecter and uk,will be more easy
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:
    Pegasus wrote:

they are by far for me...Berlin 12 was a bit rough but then stopped..Berlin 09 was fuckin madness..
  • Options
    PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 782
    mrk2 wrote:

BaPdXho.jpg?1

that's pathetic.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    It depends on where you stand IMO. The closer you get to the stage, the rougher it gets. Not like in the States.

I had a fantastic time a couple of rows back in 2012 in Berlin, and also in the last two Wuhlheide shows, where I wasn't even in the pit.
  • Options
    and also in the last two Wuhlheide shows, where I wasn't even in the pit.
    is the only veniue on the planet,i have always GA tickets and i go always to seated area..!! :lol:
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    is the only veniue on the planet,i have always GA tickets and i go always to seated area..!! :lol:

:mrgreen: :wave: Cannot wait!
  • Options

:mrgreen: :wave: Cannot wait!
    woohoo!!
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Looking at that photo of the venue I think I'll be heading for the seats. Hopefully I will find a space on the side.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435