REM- music really misses them

Comments

• fifefife Posts: 3,327
    smarchee wrote:
    I have been spinning New Adventures in Hi-Fi a lot recently

this is one of my favorite records of any band ever. just greatness.
  • BikePHLBikePHL Posts: 471
    Love me some REM. I bought the CD they releases last record store day:

LIVE IN GREENSBORO EP – Record Store Day Exclusive

1. “So. Central Rain (I’m Sorry)”
    2. “Feeling Gravitys Pull”
    3. “Strange”
    4. “King of Birds”
    5. “I Remember California”

AMAZING!!!!!
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater - June 25, 2011, Tres Mountains - TLA - March 23, 2011, Brad - World Cafe Live- Oct. 10, 2010, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 31, 2009, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 12, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 11,2009, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 20, 2008, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 19, 2008, Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - May 27, 2006, Wachovia Center - Oct 03, 2005, Fleet Center - Sep 29, 2004, Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003, Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003, First Union Spectrum Arena - Apr 28, 2003, Blockbuster Music Entertainment Center - Aug 29, 1998, RFK Stadium - Jun 14, 1998
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    So I was at my local library and happen to see a "Best Of R.E.M In Time" Cd and decided to check it out...

I loved it! Time to start with the first album then... :)
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664
    fife wrote:
    smarchee wrote:
    I have been spinning New Adventures in Hi-Fi a lot recently

this is one of my favorite records of any band ever. just greatness.

totally agree
    keep hoping they will come back together or at least Stipe will do something on a solo basis....
  • Gold 26Gold 26 Posts: 676
    I noticed the other day if you took all of my favourite bands and took the best elements from them, you'd effectively have R.E.M.
    All my favourite singers have stolen all of my best lines.
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    I have great memories of REM shows. Loved them, everyone who saw them is so lucky to have seen them.

What has Michael Stipe been up to since they disbanded? Mike Mills and Peter Buck are out and about in various other bands, but they always did that even when REM was still together. What's Michael doing, when's the last time he was the public eye for music? And I suppose Bill Berry is still happy being a farmer... wouldn't it be funny if all of a sudden now, after all those years of the other members wishing he was up for being the drummer again but him doing his thing on the farm, if he busted out now like "Ok, I want to drum again! Who's with me?" :lol:

I have a couple of really surreal non-concert REM experiences too. Once I went to a bar after one of their Document shows and we all went in at the same time and I basically got carded with Mike Mills and Bill Berry. Being asked for i.d. with them was so weird and funny! Another time I went to a Katrina and the Waves show in NYC with them (yes, the "Walking on Sunshine" chick"). I still don't remember the connection that brought us all there, but it was kinda weird. Fun, but weird.

They also used to donate to a non-profit I worked at. Somewhere I still have a xerox of a couple checks that just say "REM" on them in the upper left corner where regular people's names usually go. I almost wanted to not deposit the checks because they were so cool! But, that woulda kinda defeated the purpose of their donation, wouldn't it have!
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,604
    I miss R.E.M. so much!!! They brought a uniqueness to music which I sorely miss. I am so greatful that I was able to experience them live, especially front row at a small club. A truly amazing band. They are missed and I always keep the hope that I will see them again.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    3/4 of them came back about a month ago and performed "Don't Go Back Ro Rockdale" in their home town of Athens :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gLqa2aHYdg
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • 3/4 of them came back about a month ago and performed "Don't Go Back Ro Rockdale" in their home town of Athens :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gLqa2aHYdg

I was at this show. It was amazing. Stipe was there with his mom but he didn't get on stage with them. I was standing a few feet from him for most of the night. He was fiddling around with his phone most of the night. Rock stars are just like normal people.
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,026
    They love playing too much. I think they will be back at some point.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    little late to the REM party. just listening to them now.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

also, if you dig REM and miss them, here's a band for you to discover: The Watchmen. They are/were a band from Winnipeg. They also gained their following from endless touring cross canada (and australia) back and forth for years. Playing college campuses, dive bars, anywhere that would book them. they became pretty big in canada in the early 90's, but like REM, they didn't fit in well with any specific rock or alternative genre, so it wasn't easy to promote them.

I didn't make the connection between the two bands until recently when I heard the lead singer mention in an old article that he and the rest of the band were devestated to hear that REM were quitting, as they were huge fans and a big influence on their own band.

www.the-watchmen.com. they have some free music you can download off their media page. two studio songs, one full acoustic performance, and a full live performance of their album Stereo in Toronto at the Horseshoe.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    : (
    www.cluthelee.com

: (

sorry Chris. did I open an old wound? LOL

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Honestly, this is the last band on my bucket list. Would love to see them live.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
    red mos said:

Well, we'll all be lucky if something brings them all together for a public show that people actually know about ahead of time. A tour is probably too much to hope for, but a couple of shows (with Bill Berry as drummer) would be so so amazing! We can dream...

Meanwhile, those of you just catching onto them, check out "Tour Film" I think it's called, I'm pretty sure it's from the Document tour and it's great!
    JH6056 said:

red mos said:

Well, we'll all be lucky if something brings them all together for a public show that people actually know about ahead of time. A tour is probably too much to hope for, but a couple of shows (with Bill Berry as drummer) would be so so amazing! We can dream...

Meanwhile, those of you just catching onto them, check out "Tour Film" I think it's called, I'm pretty sure it's from the Document tour and it's great!
    about 10 years or more ago, maybe 15, they played Winnipeg. But a 2,000 seat venue. My buddy couldn't believe it. they EASILY could have sold out something way bigger. he couldn't get tickets. he was devastated. and they never came back.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Great recent interview with the amazing guitarist who hated interviews: Mr. Peter Buck, by David Fricke:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/peter-buck-on-life-after-r-e-m-i-hate-the-business-20160314?page=6
    that was a cool read

still IMO its sad that it seems these guys are very unlikely ever to reform, they seem very comfortable in their decision and happy they made it. My selfish side always hoped they would come back. They clearly don't want or desire that, fair play really.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Saw Stipe on tv and he said , I'll never wanna sing on stage again he said he was done with performing ... I found that really sad his been singing his whole life ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Someone posted cool "Those moments" thread about transformative moments during a show that just blow your mind, like when the music and the energy and your heart and soul all just explode at once. My concert where this happened over and over again for almost the entire show was an REM show, around this time, and this song was utmost in the main "moments"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41lqQ4brvK4
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    An amazing live act. I feel fortunate to have seen them twice in the 90s. Wish I was old enough to see them in the 80s. My Dad played the shit out of REM records in our house.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Saw them around the time of "Reckoning". Stipe hung to the mic stand like it was a crutch and he looked very bedraggled but sounded great. For an encore they jammed with two guys from Gang of Four. Great show!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

My sophmore year of college my housemates played them non-stop... and I was MISERABLE because I did.not.get it.

But by the end of that year the exposure wore me down and I fell in love with them. I was more anxious to see them live than my housemates were, and I did... many times. One of my top 3 ever live bands (and recorded) - just love them. Music does indeed really miss them!
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    I was lucky enough to first see them in 1983, as well as every tour up until their demise. They always had a great fan club ticketing system, so I got to see them front row a few times. I almost delayed taking the CPA exam so that I could see them on the Monster tour, but instead, I just took 1/2 the exam so that I could still catch 2 shows.
    JOEJOEJOE said:

I was lucky enough to first see them in 1983, as well as every tour up until their demise. They always had a great fan club ticketing system, so I got to see them front row a few times. I almost delayed taking the CPA exam so that I could see them on the Monster tour, but instead, I just took 1/2 the exam so that I could still catch 2 shows.

So did you become a CPA? Closest I came to that was when I rowed crew and rode up to Boston for the Head of the Charles race (which I wasn't in), then ditched my schoolmates and took a bus to Worcester to see them at the Centrum. It was a fantastic show and I never regretted it for a second. Matter of fact, most I rode back with were like "We shoulda gone to see REM with you..." :)
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    JH6056 said:

JOEJOEJOE said:

So did you become a CPA? Closest I came to that was when I rowed crew and rode up to Boston for the Head of the Charles race (which I wasn't in), then ditched my schoolmates and took a bus to Worcester to see them at the Centrum. It was a fantastic show and I never regretted it for a second. Matter of fact, most I rode back with were like "We shoulda gone to see REM with you..." :)
    Yep, I became a CPA....still doing it to this day!
  • WildFlyWildFly Posts: 210
    Question: The LP of "Out of Time", what is the major difference between the 1st release from US, vs Russia? I noticed that US has I.R.S on the label, and Russia is BRS. Can anyone go into more detail about the two releases. Thanks