*** Portland Fanviews Here 11/29/13 ***

Comments

• pjfansincetenpjfansinceten Santa Monica, CA Posts: 107
    PJ212 wrote:
    First time visitor to Portland and this city lived up to its weird reputation. I’ve lived in NYC and L.A., traveled alone to countries where the alphabet looks nothing like English, but it wasn’t until I visited Portland that a crazy man chased me down the street yelling “Sir! I admire your body!” (ps – I’m a lady). Thankfully I out ran him. Portland keeps it weird.

:lol:
    91 - 11/22 Detroit (opening for RHCP)
    98 - 7/14 Los Angeles Forum (missed Tenacious D)
    00 - 8/24 Jones Beach, 10/24 Los Angeles Greek (can't find a Better Van!), 25 San Diego & 28 San Bernadino (Glen Helen)
    03 - 6/2 & 3 Irvine, 5 San Diego, 6 Las Vegas MGM (10th Annivesary), 7 Phoenix
    05 - 9/2 Vancouver
    06 - 7/9 & 10 Los Angeles, 12 Hollywood (Fonda Theatre, it's a Worldwide Suicide), 15 & 16 San Francisco
    08 - 7/12 The Who Tribute at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion! (Love, Reign o'er me! with orchestra)
    09 - 8/23 & 24 Chicago United Center, 9/26 Portland, 9/30, 10/1, 6 & 7 Universal City Amphiteatre, 9 San Diego (2nd row)
    10 - 5/20 & 21 MSG, 10/23 Bridge School
    12 - 6/20 & 21 Manchester, UK
    13 - 11/19 Phoenix, 21 San Diego, 23 & 24 Los Angeles, 12/6 Seattle (finally)!
    14 - 10/16 Detroit, 20 Milwaukee (YIELDED), 22 Denver
    16 - 8/20 Wrigley #1
    18 - 8/18 Wrigley #1 (40th show!), 8/20 Wrigley #2
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    PJ212 wrote:
    First time visitor to Portland and this city lived up to its weird reputation. I’ve lived in NYC and L.A., traveled alone to countries where the alphabet looks nothing like English, but it wasn’t until I visited Portland that a crazy man chased me down the street yelling “Sir! I admire your body!” (ps – I’m a lady). Thankfully I out ran him. Portland keeps it weird.

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    lol @ some of ed's comments between songs
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • What was scratched off the setlist in the first encore, can't tell by looking at it.
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    Wrigley. Brooklyn 2. Hartford. 2013
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Global Citizens Festival. 2015
    MSG 2. Fenway 2. Wrigley 1. 2016
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • Left Porch wrote:
    What was scratched off the setlist in the first encore, can't tell by looking at it.

No More
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Great day, unbelievable show. Got there at 8:45 in the morning and spent the day in the cold in the GA line with a bunch of great fans and totally worth it. The band was really feeding off the crowd energy. I haven't seen Stone so animated and feeling it like that in a long time. Great mix of classic songs with some true rare jems like Rats and All Those Yesterdays.

During Porch Stone pushed one of the large hanging light balls out over the crowd. Then Boom pushed his from side to side, and then Jeff and Mike got into at as well pushing them out over the crowd all the while playing and dodging them.
  • matt's wife and son came out with a chocolate sheet cake and candles. we all sung Happy Birthday, then his son tipped the cake toward him to sort of smash him with it...aborted, but matt did get some cake on him....eddie had cake on his hand and smudged the son's cheek. was a really fun moment!
    all is as it will be, as it should be
  • morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    To those who saw me pulled out of the concert last night, I'm fine. I overheated with having thermals on with it being so cold during the day(know now to take them off before the show) & collapsed 3 times but they pulled me out & I'm fine & dirty-franking to Spokane now. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Carrie Brownstein. ruining encores since 2003.

Thought the same thing. I just posted in another thread, "I've been waiting for Sleater Kinney to join in on the encore since 2003!" said no one ever!
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Carrie Brownstein. ruining encores since 2003.

Thought the same thing. I just posted in another thread, "I've been waiting for Sleater Kinney to join in on the encore since 2003!" said no one ever!

I love Sleater-Kinney. And apparently so does Pearl Jam. :D
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Never really active on these boards, but holy smokes what a show. I've been to plenty but this was my first ga experience and I was blown away. I met a bunch of really cool members from all over and the whole day was just awesome. To the couple from Italy that was in town and it was your wife's first show, hope you got home safe! I'd love to hear what she had to say about her first time. I took my friend who had never seen PJ either and he was at a loss for words after the show. Glad to meet so many cool people and have an awesome time. I might have to start using this board more after last night.
  • morello wrote:
    To those who saw me pulled out of the concert last night, I'm fine. I overheated with having thermals on with it being so cold during the day(know now to take them off before the show) & collapsed 3 times but they pulled me out & I'm fine & dirty-franking to Spokane now. :)

Glad to hear it! I was right behind you and about 2 feet to your left. It was a little scary and Ed was very concerned, but when Pete gave Ed the thumbs up it was a relief.
  • Still curious about the Matt drum solo - I just don't recall hearing any drum solos over the years at shows or in boots. Was that a bday thing?

Also, my girlfriend missed the behind the back solo, also on Even Flow. Does anyone know of a YT vid of that?
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    edited November 2013
    aurynsdad wrote:
    Still curious about the Matt drum solo - I just don't recall hearing any drum solos over the years at shows or in boots. Was that a bday thing?

No. It's happened alot in 06 and they have brought it back for 2013.

He did one in Philly and Hartford as well :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFJjmkbT8rQ

Even Flow Philly 2. Drum solo is about 4:30
    Post edited by smanchac1 on
  • aurynsdad wrote:
    Still curious about the Matt drum solo - I just don't recall hearing any drum solos over the years at shows or in boots. Was that a bday thing?

Also, my girlfriend missed the behind the back solo, also on Even Flow. Does anyone know of a YT vid of that?

He did drum solos throughout most of the 2006 tour.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Thanks!
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • mrerocmreroc Posts: 78
    I want say mid 2000s he did a lot of solos.
  • morello wrote:

Glad to hear you're OK, I was a few rows of people behind you, directly in front of Stone. Eddie could tell what was going on, and while he kept the song going, you could see the look of concern on his face until he could tell everything was alright.

With four, maybe five people in front of me, its the closest I've been for PJ. We walked into the venue around 645, and I was fairly surprised how close we were able to get. Mike's side looked a bit fuller, so we watched from Stone's side. I'm the type that would rather hang back and have some extra space instead of cramming in to get close, but the crowd was awesome. Everyone was really into the show, but I didn't see a single bit of people being obnoxious or overly aggressive.

Ed must have tossed a dozen tambourines by the end of the night, and my buddy caught one of Matt's wristbands, still soaked hours later. Confetti guy was hilarious, and Jeff and Ed pointed out another guy near him (think they called him Concert Dave, or something close). Ed said there were only two of his tshirts in the world, and Jeff owned the other one. Was this the color MLB shirt? I remember seeing that earlier in the night.

For Portland locals, I'm absolutely in love with your city. I wish I was moving on with the tour, but I'm happy to stay through Tuesday and do more exploring. Very glad I chose this as my only show for the tour.
  • Very glad I chose this as my only show for the tour.

Me too.
  • This was my daughter's first PJ show, and MAN! was it an experience!!

First off, everyone in the GA line was great! It was a long, cold day, but we met some awesome people! My daughter made friends with just about everyone we stood next too, especially the super nice lady with the dog that shared her French fries. I feel bad that I didn't get people's names, but I'm so bad with names anyway, I probably would have forgotten, sorry!

Getting onto the floor was pretty orderly, we ended up 2 back off the rail directly in front of Mike, and the people in front of us let my daughter squeeze up between them, so she was on the rail the whole show! Believe me, I am SUPER jealous of my own kid after last night! I think Mike took a liking to her, multiple times during the night he pointed and waved at her, and made sure she got a couple of picks. During RITFW, Ed came over and made sure she got a tambourine...I'm not sure how her face didn't split open from the smiles! We had the BEST people around us...the two ladies that let her squeeze up with them on the rail and "mommied" her when she was getting tired (7 hours of standing in the cold outside, then another 5 1/5 ish hours standing on the floor made for a SUPER tired kid), the guy with the mad bomber hat that helped me communicate with her during the show, and cracked me up most of the night, the big tall dude I stood next to that held her up on his shoulder a few times during talking breaks...I KNOW when you get to take your kid, karma will totally help you out, you were beyond awesome all night! Just everyone around us, thank you all SO much for making it an epic experience for us.

As for the show itself....HOLY CRAP!! I got Deep, Given to Fly, Infallible, RVM, freaking MOTHER, SOLAT...so many that I've wanted to hear live. Mike was INSANE all night, just perfect! I just don't know what else to say! I've never gone to any show that had that much energy! The only negative I can think of is that both my calves cramped up on me as soon as I got in the car after, and took almost 20 minutes to uncramp, then kept cramping all night long, and today. Oh well, small price to pay!!
    Underneath this smile lies everything
    all my hopes, anger, pride and shame
  • ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614
    Portland show was off the chain! :!: A solid three-hour show packed with a ton of classics and a few unexpected goodies. Every time I thought it couldn't get any better, they pulled another trick out of their hats. And of course, the Sleater-Kinney reunion was historic. I cannot wait to see the Seattle show....I really think they're saving the best for last!!!
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • Wooooooo
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS THE 406 Posts: 6,736
    Wooooooo

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• BK5403BK5403 Posts: 50
    anakin_pdx wrote:
    Great day, unbelievable show. Got there at 8:45 in the morning and spent the day in the cold in the GA line with a bunch of great fans and totally worth it. The band was really feeding off the crowd energy. I haven't seen Stone so animated and feeling it like that in a long time. Great mix of classic songs with some true rare jems like Rats and All Those Yesterdays.

Yeah man, Stone was on FIRE! Our section on the Stone side of the rail fed him with a lot of energy and love & i think he fed off that.

You took a few great pics that i'd love to take back to brooklyn with me. would ya mind sharing one or two?

good hangin with you ...
    96 Hartford | 98 MSG 1 & 2 | 00 Jones Beach | 03 MSG 1 & 2 | 06 Irving Plaza | 06 Camden | 06 E. Rutherford | 08 MSG 1 & 2 | 10 MSG 1 & 2 | 11 EV/Portland | 13 Wrigley | 13 Brooklyn 1 & 2 | 13 Hartford | 13 Portland | 13 Seattle | 14 Stockholm | 17 EV/Tennessee | 18 Missoula
  • My first time in GA - ended up second row on Stone side and not sure if I can ever sit in reg seats again. Too bad it's nearly impossible to win the lotto in NY. Anyway, the while experience was amazing, met some really chill fans and hope to bump into them again along the way.

The band sounded great, the energy was great - wish we could have had Oakland's set list, as I never got crazy Mary or smile in the four shows I hit this tour, but what can ya do? I will never forget this show, definitely an incredible experience and can't wait for the next one.
    Albany 4/29/03
    MSG - 6/25/05, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 5/20/10, 5/21/10
    Irving Plaza - 5/5/06
    E.Rutherford - 6/1/06, 6/3/06
    Newark - 5/18/10
    Philly - 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    Chicago - 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    Hartford 5/13/06
    Brooklyn 10/18/13, 10/19/13
  • This show was amazing!! Does anyone have any videos of it? Looked on YouTube and can't find much:(
  • And I got Deep for the 1st time in Portland. Took 18 shows.
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • Well, I've finally recovered from my busy Thanksgiving week and the amazing show in Portland and am now awake enough to try to recap my experience. First off, thanks to the Ten Club for my great seats. I work in wine country and the day after Thanksgiving is a crazy day for us. I knew I'd be working that day and wouldn't be able to get in line early for GA, so I went with the reserved tickets and they did not disappoint. Floor section, 4 rows behind GA. My fiancee was in the area earlier in the day and hit the merch truck to grab me a poster and sticker so I wouldn't have to lug them around during the show. Way to score some points!

This was probably my favorite of any PJ show I've been to and it's due to a couple reasons. I'd been waiting for a solid 3 hour PJ show and I finally got it. The other reason was the crowd. Jeff was saying it was the best Portland crowd in twenty years and I'm not surprised. The energy just felt amazing to me. They seemed to be having a great time and so was I. I'd never danced and screamed so much at a show before. It felt incredible.

My fiancee isn't that familiar with their music, but she seemed to be really enjoying herself as well. Dancing along with me even though she didn't know the words. She was brought to tears after Eddie talked about Tomas Young and played Life Wasted. Seeing her get so emotional over it helped reaffirm what this band and their passion/beliefs can bring out in even the most casual fan at a show.

Highlights for me were Deep, SOLAT, Mother, LOVE Lightning Bolt & Mind Your Manners live. Sleater-Kinney reunion of course. So much to love. And I have to say, I think this is the best lighting set up they've ever had. Really compliments the music well. Can't wait for the boot!
  • This show was amazing! It was so much better than the LA shows, in my opinion. Everyone seemed to be more relaxed and having fun. the entire band was just all smiles and it was so rad to celebrate matt's bday.
    SO glad that i made the trek from LA, it was well worth it.
    I was also super-stoked that they played 'All Those Yesterdays" - it had been scratched off of the LA 1 setlist.
    Thanks to all you Portland folk for having us. That is a great lil town ya have there!
  • I felt fortunate that I was able to take My Husband Rick,who was celebrating his 57th Birthday Friday night to see my favorite band- Pearl Jam. I have seen them 40+ times since October of 93 and this show was one of my very favorites! It was a great setlist, the energy was good and the sound was very good. We also saw them in Oakland, which was also a great show. I just want to Thank Eddie for not giving up at the Oakland show, when he pointed to Rick and threw him a tambourine, only to have it snatched out of my Husband's hand. Eddie tried again, pointed at Rick,only to have some young kid dive in and grab it. Eddie again pointed at Rick, threw a tambourine and this time success! Why this means so much to me is because in July,2011, Rick was very sick with Burkitts Lymphoma, almost dying a couple of times and having to spend 95 days at OSHU fighting this scary Cancer. He was very brave having to go through all he went through...not giving up. So it means a lot to me that Eddie did not give up on trying to get a tambourine to Rick. Thank You so much Pearl Jam for all the years of music and for caring about doing what is right for your fans, society and for our Earth. Love, Love, Love PEARL JAM!!!