*** Portland Fanviews Here 11/29/13 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
edited February 2014 in Given To Fly (live)
Pearl Jam
Rose Garden
Portland, Or.
Nov. 29 2013
Set List

Opening Band: Mudhoney

01. Pendulum-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
02. Low Light
03. Sometimes
04. Interstellar Overdrive-(Barrett, Mason, Waters, Wright)
05. Corduroy
06. Lightning Bolt-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
07. Mind Your Manners-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)

(Last time we played here it was for a benefit for North West school and it was a much smaller place so thanks for coming)

08. Animal
09. Deep

(Not only is it good to be back but it has gotten even better here. We have a few good friends that have moved, same sex marriage, medical marijuana and the right to die with dignity. You might know our friend, he was in the film “Body Of War”. There is Tomas Young and his wife Claudia. This one is for you two.)

10. Sirens w/sing along outro-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)

(Ed sees a couple in the pit that have been throwing confetti during the show. He asks, “what have you got there? Are you guys like some sort of confetti machine? I like it. When I see it I imagine you are the military industrial complex and you are shredding up our money. Are we paying you to be here? No? Well, I will give you....are you from Portland? But you are wearing a Yankees cap? I can’t figure that out..[crowd boos the Yankees hat]..Yeah, because there is such a great rivalry between the New York Yankees and the Portland....uh, I can’t think of the Portland team now...Okay, we are gonna play another new one.”)

11. Even Flow

(Yesterday when everybody was celebrating the pilgrims stealing the Indians food or whatever that was, our reason for being thankful was that it was Matt Cameron’s birthday and he is in our band. He is the goal of what I want to be when I grow up)
12. You Are
13. Given To Fly
(after the song Ed asks some people in the pit to make a little more room. Ed is addressing a guy in a hat and Jeff says, “Hey, that’s Concert Dave!”
Ed responds, “Oh, we know him. Only two people have shirts like that. You and Jeff Ament. Jeff, do you know all these people? This ones for mother earth.”)

14. Infallible-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
15. After Hours-(Reed)
16. Spin The Black Circle
17. Rats
(Ed starts to play but forgets how the song goes. He then talks about how much he hates it when people call Portland “P-Town”. Show some respect. It is like calling Laurence Olivier ‘Larry’ or Barack Obama ‘Barry’. Portlandia, however is great. Which is funny because this song came to me while having some tea at the feminist bookstore”)
18. Lukin
19. Last Exit
20. Rearviewmirror

Encore Break 1
(Ed asks if there is another bottle of wine because he wants to give away the one he has. He jokes, “give it to that kid who looks like he is about five years old. Jeff was saying this is the best Portland crowd since ’92 or ’93 and since that was so long ago all those people must be long dead so this crowd should be all new. Whatever the reason thanks so much..This next one is a request.)

21. The End
22. Yellow Moon-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
23. All Those Yesterdays
(Ed points out Jason Baldwin, one of the West Memphis Three, and asks if this is the first time he has ever seen the band. Ed says that the Three have made his life much richer. “This one is for Jason and Holly, Jason is about to become a married man.”)

24. Just Breathe
25. Mother-(Waters)
26. State Of Love And Trust
27. Why Go
28. Porch

Encore Break 2
(Happy Birthday Matt Cameron)

29. Better Man/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling)
30. Wasted Reprise
(Ed talks about Tomas Young and his wife. He mentions that he heard that some people thought he, Ed, should get over it and move on regarding Dick Cheney. Ed says, “Tell Tomas that he should move on. That it was six years ago, get over it..” Ed says it is important to remember what happened so we don’t let it happen again.)
31. Life Wasted

(Stone starts to play “Alive” and realizes he skipped “Black” The band sort of stops and starts messing around. Ed says he is good either way. The messing around turns into some jazz chords and Ed says, “It’s Matt’s birthday, let’s play some jazz.” Eventually Stone starts playing “Black”)

32. Black
33. Alive
34. Rockin’ In The Free World w/ Carrie Brownstein, Peter Buck, Scott McCaughey, Janet Weiss, Corin Tucker-(Young)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you! :)
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• Loved it. Had a blast at my first show in Portland. I'm in love with Carrie Brownstein. Ed was on fire. Stone went berzerk most of the show and ripped off a killer ritf solo. Jeff was all smiles. Really touching story from ed about the veteran who made it to this show. Good night
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • Great energy - from the band and from the crowd. Great setlist ... I asked the setlist gods for Rats and You Are ... happy girl here.

We're staying about a block from the venue, and listening to the crowd dispersing. Great night for me.
  • Good show despite the woman/fan in sec 112 row b seat 19....

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Rocking in the free world had a Sleater Kinney reunion?? That's awesome! Is it time for mondays Calgary show yet? Great set list!
  • First show in 10 years. Best Even Flow I've ever heard, by a wide margin. It's unusual for Matt to get a solo, right? I was so pumped after that song that it made the entire night for me. The crowd was weird- on fire at times, but dead other times. Ed's voice was the best I've ever heard it- he had some beautiful sustained singing notes throughout the night. Wow! This band fucking delivers! Only bummer was that Porch seemed to drag a little.
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Oh yeah, both Mother and RITFW were way better than I expected.
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • tribejammer05tribejammer05 W'Ville, OH Posts: 691
    Worth the trip from Ohio! Great energy all around! Band was in a rocking mood and Peter Buck!

Having a blast in the lovely city!
    "There's a $10,000 bill in it for you."
    "Oh yeah? Which president's on it?"
    "Uh, all of them. They're having a party. Jimmy Carter's passed out on the couch."

Columbus 2000
    Columbus 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Toledo 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Chicago/Lollapalooza 2007
    Columbus 2010
    Chicago/Wrigley 2013
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Portland 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
  • My 4th show if 2013, and it's so hard to rank. So I'll just say this was a great concert, the band was on fire. I loved it, as I love all of their shows.

Highlight: you are, all those yesterday's, even flow felt fresh and new, animal was off the charts, and both encores destroyed the concept of live music. Just a great great time.
    We were but stones... Your light made us stars
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I've read all the fan views from the tour & had a lot of friends go to shows & tell me how amazing they sounded....

Well, you guys were right. Great start to a great week with friends & PJ. They were on fire...great crowd (aside from the obnoxious drunk couples). So much energy! Rats, You Are, Yesterdays, Pendulum, Low Light, Deep....Yellow Moon. Just fucking awesome. Awesome to enjoy the show with my wife & our good friend Mike.

Need to try to get some sleep. Up at 6:30 to head to Spokane. Wow.

Thanks, PJ.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    Spitball thoughts while I stay up to catch an early flight back home…

The crowd was fantastic. Seeing poofs of confetti fly out of the pit every once and a while was really funny, loved it. I thought the band was pretty perfect tonight, actually maybe it was the crowd that was perfect. DEEP sounded amazing. SIRENS was played faster than previous shows. Interesting. That change over to when Ed starts on the acoustic, when it’s perfect is beautiful. YOU ARE!!! Awesome. Just so funky and cool. I loved hearing it live. Some cool visual effects were done on the screen during it too. RVM was insane. MOTHER was perfect. Too funny when Stone played the first notes of ALIVE instead of starting BLACK. Then the band got a little jazzy. Nice.

REM and Pearl Jam have been my favorite bands since I was 12. I only saw REM once and my world was half-crushed when they broke up, so I was stoked when Peter Buck was on stage tonight. I hit my seat partner I was so excited.

First time visitor to Portland and this city lived up to its weird reputation. I’ve lived in NYC and L.A., traveled alone to countries where the alphabet looks nothing like English, but it wasn’t until I visited Portland that a crazy man chased me down the street yelling “Sir! I admire your body!” (ps – I’m a lady). Thankfully I out ran him. Portland keeps it weird.
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • Here is our photo review from tonight's Portland show.

http://www.6000footdrop.com/6000-foot-d ... -meld.html

See you in Spokane!
  • StellaBlue wrote:
    Great energy - from the band and from the crowd. Great setlist ... I asked the setlist gods for Rats and You Are ... happy girl here.

******* i could say soooooo much about the show, but RATS!!!! made me a happy girl too. never thought i'd here that one. maybe because we BOTH asked the gods...or i just need to thank you.

not sure if i will write anymore..but RATS... oh and LUKIN!!! one right after the other. and....goodnight!
    all is as it will be, as it should be
  • Did Matt C get a pie in the face?
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,040
    with Mudhoney as the opener, what time did PJ take the stage?
    Thanks!
  • You Are, Last Exit, Rats,All those yesterdays!
    :clap::clap::clap: bravo Portland!!
  • Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,973
    PJRocks please report to the head of the class.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Carrie Brownstein. ruining encores since 2003.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    with Mudhoney as the opener, what time did PJ take the stage?
    Thanks!
    8:38 pm
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    one of the best setlist of tour

thank you Sea
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • TigaSefiTigaSefi Posts: 276
    Wow what a night in GA! I am actually scared to hear what we will get in Spokane today :lol: ! So good.
    London 02 18/09/2009 London Hyde Park 25/06/2010 Arras 03/07/2010 Werchter 04/07/2010 Manchester 21/06/2012 Amsterdam 26/06/2012 Stockholm 07/07/2012 Portland 29/11/2013 Spokane 30/11/2013 Amsterdam 16/06/14 Leeds 08/07/14 London 02 Arena 18/06/2018 London 02 Arena 17/07/2018 London Hyde Park 08/07/2022 London Hyde Park 09/07/2022
    TigaSefi wrote:
    Wow what a night in GA! I am actually scared to hear what we will get in Spokane today :lol: ! So good.
    :lol:
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Matt sure has been getting extra praise from Ed - at every show..... :eh: (Matt does deserve it!)
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Carrie Brownstein. ruining encores since 2003.

It was great.
    TigaSefi wrote:

Can't wait to see what they play
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611
    8-)
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    What a great show. DEEP! /All Those Yesterdays! Rats
    What a great town! I thought northwest shows didnt rock out like my east coast but they do here in Portland. It was ALMOST Hartford like out here. ;)

See ya in Spokane :corn:
  • WOWWYYYYYYYYY WOWWWWWWWWWW WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

(desperate to hear After Hours!)
    nm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUWFWwZo7uQ
    YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Great show, really worth the drive down from Seattle. Loved Mike playing the guitar behind his back on Even Flow. Was blown away seeing the band do you Pink Floyd's Mother from The wall. Then to top it off seeing Carrie Brownstein and Peter Buck joim in for the closer Rockin In The Free Eorld made this one of best showd I've seen.
  • pjsimppjsimp Posts: 44
    you guys are so lucky----getting to hear rats. i know which boot i am getting now. (besides my pittsburgh one lol)
  • My first show in 10 years...and well worth that wait. My voice is killing me and my ears ring ever so often, but I just don't care.

Highlights:
    Rats
    Even Flow solo behind Mike's back...insane!
    All the new tracks were amazing
    Mother!!!

I just don't know what else to say. This band is on FIRE!
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 534
    Good show despite the woman/fan in sec 112 row b seat 19....
    I was right near there, what was going on?
    Your light made us stars