Options

I wanna talk about Avocado!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    CharliePCharlieP Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 1,035
    I know the sequencing is a little weird in the middle of the record but the songs are some of the strongest. Marker, Parachutes and Unemployable

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,270
    brianlux wrote:
    Avocado is one of my favorite PJ LPs but because I only have it on CD, I've never really heard it (same with Riot Act and No Code). If I ever come across a vinyl copy within my budget or if it's re-released on vinyl, then I'll really have something to celebrate.
    I really hope to see you post an Avocado update in the "I just picked up _____ on vinyl!" thread one day Brian!

I love the Avocado record. I can remember the very first time I ever heard it - April 20th 2006. I played it in my car driving up to London for the Astoria show that night. It was the first album I ever heard a leaked copy of (remember the days before leaks?!?) and we played it non stop on the 4 hour drive. It just sounded soooo damn good, belting down the motorway, blasting from the speakers.

Of course, we had no way of knowing that the first 5 songs of the Astoria show would be Avocado songs (WWS, Life Wasted, Severed Hand, Unemployable, Gone) or that they would play 7 in total (Army Reserve and Marker were the others), 6 of them for the first time ever.

Hearing half of the album live the same day that I first heard the studio tracks means that Avocado, for me, will always be associated with 'live' Pearl Jam. A week or so after the show, I received my vinyl copy and I was instantly back at the Astoria as soon as Life Wasted kicked in. That show (and the 5 others I saw over the next year) marked the end of a 6 year drought since the Cardiff show in 2000. Good times :)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 988
    Great album and my first tour! My favorites are Marker and Come Back.
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,216
    CharlieP wrote:
    Great album for sure. My favourite songs from this one are rarely talked about here. Parachutes, Marker in the sand and Army reserve. Avo is actually one of my friends' favourite PJ record

Those three are my favorite tunes on avocado too.
    Unfortunately, I feel that the song order on the album feels just thrown together.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Great thread, I love Acocado and completely agree that track listing is one of the strongest.
    My only complaint is the overall production of the album, I've listened to it across numerous systems/headphones and it suffers at loud volumes.

I thought the tour was stunning and nearly every track sounded incredible live
  • Options
    OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
    I love this album.

It's the best of the post 2000 five.

Inside Job, Come Back and Gone are superb in particular.
  • Options
    I remember listening to my first 2006 boot thinking holy shit, this live show just keeps getting better! Hugely different vibe to riot act tour too
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    I love this record too.

However, the cover still annoys the fuck out of me. It was 2006 and the damn blue gradient isn't even smooth! I also refuse to refer to it as anything other than Self Titled. I will not call it by the name of whatever that goddamn fruit or vegetable is.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,691
    I do love Comeback, top 5 for me I think, so this album for carrying that tune will always be special...

Marker in the sand never seems to get the love it deserves
  • Options
    OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
    Excellent album and an excellent tour.

2006 is probably my favourite tour that I've been to.