Options

I wanna talk about Avocado!!

cwar077cwar077 Posts: 72
edited November 2013 in The Porch
I wanna share my love for this record; a few observations, please feel free to add some of your own...

- I think this album flows the best from start to end out of all their albums. the track listing is perfectly placed. The first half hits hard and then the songs seamlessly become more open and spacey.

- this album reclaims the bands urgency, while I freakin love the weird tangents of RA and Binaural, Avocado hooks you in quickly. The band sounds the most energised and direct than anything since vs. I see this as the start of a new phase/progression in the band's evolution.

- I love the production on this album, there is a certain gloss that makes the guitars sound like a liquid blue. I also find that on the bootlegs from this tour the guitar tone retains this quality, check out breakerfall from Bern, Rearview mirror from Torino, or the many stellar versions of red mosquito.

- mike fucking tears it up at the end of life wasted and severed hand

- marker in the sand contains some of eddies most powerful lyrics and some of matts best drum fills. One of the few studio tracks where I can't find a live version that tops this studio cut.

- I was 20 when this album was released and the album accompanied some of my best and worst moments growing up and figuring out the world. I was in my first year of a sociology degree and I was forming the beginnings of a political consciousness and I related heavily to many of the themes in this record. Eddie's character and previous lyrics took on new understandings and I came to realise that pj had always represented my political leanings, however it was only at this point in time that I had the language to articulate and identify them. Also in this year at uni, avocado turned a bad acid trip into a very positive one!

Take a drive, turn avocado up. Share some love for this wonderful record
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    CharliePCharlieP Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 1,035
    Great album for sure. My favourite songs from this one are rarely talked about here. Parachutes, Marker in the sand and Army reserve. Avo is actually one of my friends' favourite PJ record

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

• Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    cwar077 wrote:
    I wanna share my love for this record; a few observations, please feel free to add some of your own...
    - I love the production on this album, there is a certain gloss that makes the guitars sound like a liquid blue. I also find that on the bootlegs from this tour the guitar tone retains this quality, check out breakerfall from Bern, Rearview mirror from Torino, or the many stellar versions of red mosquito.

I was forming the beginnings of a political consciousness and I related heavily to many of the themes in this record. Eddie's character and previous lyrics took on new understandings and I came to realise that pj had always represented my political leanings, however it was only at this point in time that I had the language to articulate and identify them.

Take a drive, turn avocado up. Share some love for this wonderful record

I also always thought of the color blue for this album including its 2006 tour. :) Maybe it is because of the album cover.

YOu said it perfectly. Eddie also put into exact words about what I was feeling at that time. I am proud that my favorite band has a song like World-Wide-Suicide.

Just pay a particular attention to WWS and you'll see the minor details of how-well it is crafted. How Eddie's vocal line starts calmer, like he's explaining his case. And then his intensity increases at every line until and including the bridge part and the chorus part (The whole world.. World over..), his anger rises to top and gets crazy and the lyrics are not even detectable anymore.

Just a perfect match of vocals and lyrics. Brilliant.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    best work ever. best tour.
  • Options
    I agree with the best track listing of any album. Marker, severed hand, life wasted, comeback,inside job...brilliant. Not a bad song on the album. Soooo much better than backspacer. Lightning bold has potential to be up there with self titled. Gotta give it another 4 to 6 months.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,981
    Yeah this is a great one. I have 7 songs from this album that I consider favorites.

LB = 6
    BS = 3
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Yeah this is a great one. I have 7 songs from this album that I consider favorites.

LB = 6
    BS = 3

Backspacer has...got some, unthought, and force of nature. Are those your 3?
  • Options
    I thought Avocado was going to be "the crown jewel of the back half of the PJ catalog" when it came out. Backspacer reinforced that notion for me. Now that Lightning Bolt is out though, I'm not so sure.
    :P

I actually think the flow on Avocado is a little weak. But it still holds up well.

Regarding the color scheme,
    I really wish (and this is stupid to be nit picking color) that PJ would come BACK to color.
    They have been stuck in blackity-black-black world since Binaural. Hell Yield, really.
    Even when the albums have "color" (Backspacer, LB) it is still a seemingly limited color scheme over blackity-black-black.

Especially given the nature of the songs themselves on LB, i was really assuming we would get some more earthy \ "jammy" type artwork, like the 2006 tour art (bootlegs, etc).

BACK TO THE MUSIC.
    I think that Avocado was the NEAR completion of "the complete evolution of the band" that started with the cocoon-declaration of No Code. But I think it is Lightning Bolt that TRULY finishes that evolution. 90's Pearl Jam is DEAD now. 100%. This is the NEW Pearl Jam. And I love it!
    :D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    I agree! The production is very well done. Also, Mike's solos are great and you pick up something new from them each time you listen. Great album.
  • Options
    Inside Job is one of my favorite songs ever. It's perfect.
    Mine is mine and yours won't take it's place
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 703
    I all in with you on this one....
    not to mention my older sis's fav pj song is Inside Job...

this cd start to finish is my fav for sure since Yield...
    (shockingly, I don't hear that from many fellow pj friends/fans)...

And I always forget W W Suicide was on this one....this songs really kicks ass live also...

Gone and Comeback are prolly my favs off the cd...

with Marker in the sand, life wasted, severed hand right behind them....and I mean RIGHT behind them!!!

Also really like the ones I didn't mention.....and actually Parachutes was the only one I couldn't get into...

tried,...tried....tried....Parachutes....and it just didn't hit me......UNTIL...

Deluna Fest on the beach in Fall of 2012,...Ed came out with full 8 1/2 X 11 sheets of paper with the lyrics...

it was one of those amazing moments in time....Just the right amount of Alcohol (3 beers, 3 tequila shots roughly) , at the right time of night with the ocean at our side and the moon overhead....Ahhhh....

with the majority of the "FEST" crowd not knowing the song....We all were "IN" so to speak....handing on every word and every strum of the guitar...it was ,...well...ya know...

And this was all way after the avocado was my fav.... :fp:

Peace, love, family and PJ.....Curly
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,880
    cwar077 wrote:
    - I was 20 when this album was released and the album accompanied some of my best and worst moments growing up and figuring out the world. I was in my first year of a sociology degree and I was forming the beginnings of a political consciousness and I related heavily to many of the themes in this record.

I was a 20 year old too and I was pissed with the Bush administration so this album had some intense moments for me
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options

LB = 6
    BS = 3

Actually I have Unthought/Amongst the Waves/Got Some

I just threw Got Some in to be nice....I can't stand the beginning. I've also never really got in to Force of Nature. It just doesn't do anything for me. Maybe in time....

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options

LB = 6
    BS = 3

Actually I have Unthought/Amongst the Waves/Got Some

I just threw Got Some in to be nice....I can't stand the beginning. I've also never really got in to Force of Nature. It just doesn't do anything for me. Maybe in time....

I guessed 2 of 3 haha. Force of nature is my fav on the album. I think Eddie sounds amazing on that track.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,752
    Avocado is one of my favorite PJ LPs but because I only have it on CD, I've never really heard it (same with Riot Act and No Code). If I ever come across a vinyl copy within my budget or if it's re-released on vinyl, then I'll really have something to celebrate.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Always loved it, but takes a bottom-middle spot on my favorite PJ albums list just because of its stiff competition. But so many songs that I absolutely love on that album...Severed Hand, Marker in the Sand, Inside Job, Come Back, Unemployable are favorites. And over the years, Come Back and Life Wasted have grown to mean a shit ton to me. I remember Gone also hitting me hard when I first heard that song. Gotta agree on the flow thing you mentioned too. Very easy to put a song on, then find yourself at the end of the album because you just keep it on! I personally love this record. Wish I got to see them on the '06 tour, too, seemed fantastic and I think Eddie sounded great.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    It does have great sequencing. Outside of Binaural I'd say it's the best. Ten and Vs are great too, but you could put those songs in about any order and they'd be great. Despite not being the greatest group of songs, the album unfolds nicely.

The production is an absolute abomination.

It ranks below Riot Act and just above Lightning Bolt right now, but LB could pass it up. It lacks a certain artistic stamp that the previous albums had, but it doesn't lack for strong musical ideas.

Alot of good to very good songs, with a few weaker ones, but nothing mindblowingly great. Marker comes closest, but I think there was a missed chance or 2, like Inside Job.
  • Options
    I was lucky enough to score a sealed copy of it for 220 on ebay yesterday. Can't wait to listen to it =D
    Mine is mine and yours won't take it's place
  • Options
    I agree with most of the points the original poster makes, and I love this album. I dig the sparseness of the production (no overly glossy pop B.O.B. stuff) but think that the actual sound quality SUCKS HARD compared to an album like LB. With LB, I have to find the absolute best stereo to listen to it with because there's so much sonic clarity and density, all at once. With Avocado, it's almost like it helps to have a crappy set of speakers.
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    It has Inside Job on it :D
    Happy up here in my tree
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    It does have great sequencing. Outside of Binaural I'd say it's the best. Ten and Vs are great too, but you could put those songs in about any order and they'd be great. Despite not being the greatest group of songs, the album unfolds nicely.

The production is an absolute abomination.

It ranks below Riot Act and just above Lightning Bolt right now, but LB could pass it up. It lacks a certain artistic stamp that the previous albums had, but it doesn't lack for strong musical ideas.

Alot of good to very good songs, with a few weaker ones, but nothing mindblowingly great. Marker comes closest, but I think there was a missed chance or 2, like Inside Job.

Vs order isent that great other than the opening 2..
  • Options
    OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
    BenBracey wrote:

It's a brilliant song. Epic.
  • Options
    The breakdown in big wave too, very cool. There are some live versions I have heard where they jam the outro,
    does anyone know which shows where they do this?
  • Options
    morgie2morgie2 Posts: 1,065
    This album brought me back to the Pearl Jam family. I find it to be their most under rated effort.
    Boston II 94 Boston II 06 Mansfield I 08 Mansfield II 08 Seattle I 09 Seattle II 09
    Hartford 10 Boston 10 Wrigley 13 Worcester I 13 Worcester II 13 Hartford 13
    NYC I 16 NYC II 16 Fenway I 16 Fenway II 16  Fenway 1 18  Fenway II 18
    E.V. Boston II 08 E.V. Albany II 09 E.V. Providence 11, E.V. Boston 11
    Troubled Souls Unite
  • Options
    Olivavu wrote:
    BenBracey wrote:

It's a brilliant song. Epic.

Agreed....I would put Army Reserve right up there with it as well

• Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,207
    It was my number 1 for quite some time but it's been fading on my slightly, probably around top 5 or so for me now. Awesome album.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    avacado may be my least favorite CD. I love life wasted. But that's it. Some good songs, mostly average. Marker in the sand and inside job hasn't clicked wth me. I've tried, I just can't bring myself to like them.
  • Options
    The production is muddy and sounds flimsy, and also none of the songs finish properly, they all just fizzle out.. The album does have some good moments though.

REST > LB >Avocado > Backspacer
    ...The Moon is Rollin' Round....
  • Options
    K_jamK_jam Posts: 137
    I was 17 years old and this was the first pj album I bought. I remember when I heard Wws on the radio and I was like, holy shit this is awesome. And that's when the pj love affair began.
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    none of the songs finish properly, they all just fizzle out...

Honestly, I feel that Marker has the best outro in their catalog. From the last chorus through the end of the song really rocks. But different strokes for different folks.